Azzaro pour Homme (Eau de Toilette)

(1978)
Azzaro pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro / Parfums Loris Azzaro
Flacon Design: Pierre Dinand
Where to buy?
Azzaro pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Azzaro / Parfums Loris Azzaro for men and was released in 1978. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Clarins.

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Basil, Bergamot, Iris, Caraway, Lavender, Clary sage, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Juniper berry, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Musk, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.01.2017

Bottle 6.0/10
Sillage 7.0/10
Longevity 7.0/10
Helpful Review    1 Award
A true classic
This masterpiece is a classic.

Resembles something noble, yet strong.
Has a strong presence, makes you feel a refined man yourself.
Can be used for your job at the company, or a date with your girl, or a party at night, and many other events, a really versatille fragrance.

I wouldn't recommend this one on a very casual situation (like a barbecue party in your friend's house at the sunday)

This is as MANLY as it can be in a male perfume, everyone man should try this one at least once in your lifetime, it's a delightful expecience!
Very helpful Review    4 Awards
The dog's bollocks
This definitely is, hands down, one of the greatest works of art in the history of perfumery. I'm just overwhelmed every single time I wear it. It's so good that even after years of wearing it manages to surprise me. It has so many of the 'notes' that I just love in perfumes.

A smooth, bright, and effervescent aromatic fougère opening with a blast of anisic-citrus goodness supported by a soft powdery lavender/floral accord. It's slightly sharp right at the beginning, but just for a couple of minutes. And then it immediately softens down to reveal rich leather and vibrant sandalwood. The Sandalwood is not dusty or creamy like it usually is in many classics. It's bright, vibrant and at the same time very earthy, probably mixing with Vetiver and Cedar on a very luxurious bed of Oakmoss, Amber, and Musk. Even though it has so many commonly used notes in perfumery, it smells like nothing anyone would expect - especially today in the 21st century. It is sweet, spicy, citric, musky, floral, mossy, woody and a whole lot of other things I'm sure we haven't even discovered yet. Projection and sillage are just right and it lasts all day on my skin - even more on clothes. Perfect for any occasion and any time of the year. I've sadly never used the 'vintage' version of this. I hopefully will get myself one bottle atleast, eventually. I'm even very curious about the 'Intense' flanker.

All-in-all this is magical. This, to me, is what perfumery should be all about. Making one feel so good and overwhelmed every single time. It's sad they don't create stuff like this these days. But I'm extremely happy that, unlike so many other houses, Azzaro has not discontinued this gem. If you like classics this is the dog's bollocks!

10/10
Very helpful Review    3 Awards
Timeless perfection
Timeless. Not sure if it’s just an impression, but for some reasons I rarely see this mentioned among the “best masculines ever”, or at least among the best classic fougères – the more elegant and higher quality ones. Perhaps because of the subsequent decrease of Azzaro’s quality (Chrome flankers and the likes), or its excessively “functional” bottle with that brownish glass straight out of the ‘70s. Or because it’s so good, versatile and inexpensive everyone loves it – too “pop”, shortly, to reach the podium next to Guerlain’s or Chanel’s classics. Well, to me it deserves that entirely. Although I review this only now, to me it’s easily one of the most beautiful and perfect masculine perfumes ever made. A proper pillar which is not only a milestone, but is still today completely modern, elegant, good, versatile, simple but unforgettable, together exceedingly pleasant to wear – to this extent, actually quite more than other more appreciated classic fragrances (masterpieces, but perhaps more formal, or more outdated). What amazes me the most and what makes Azzaro pour Homme so unique and sets the difference with most of other fougères is the irresistible, manly, silky cleanliness of the herbal-floral accord of citrus, sage, lavender and anise: it’s cozy, fresh, gently sweet, bright and radiant but also velvety and “virile”, which then perfectly drifts on an endless drydown more on mossy-woody notes. Sage and anise give something here which you won’t find anywhere else. Perfect for any age, any time, any mood, without being generic or shallow – just perfect. Not much to say: one of the true masterpieces of masculine perfumery of any time. I am more familiar with the vintage version, which to me smells slightly richer and darker, but the current version is a must as well. Close relatives: Balmain Ebène (fresher, more formal), Aramis Tuscany (woodier, darker, and a bit more "meh").

10/10
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Scent 10.0/10
1 Award
A handsome, masculine fougère...
Azzaro pour Homme is an elegant, classic fragrance for men. I really appreciate this one for what it is, a wonderful, masculine fougère. It was made by 3 different perfumers working together, and their shared objective was to make a fragrance that smelled totally unique, which would stand out from other masculine fragrances of the time... and I think they definitely succeeded here.

One thing is for sure, this is an extremely well-blended creation. Although there are too many notes to list (some sources say this has up to 320 ingredients) it doesn't feel too much or out of place. What makes it stand out for me is the anise in the opening (some people don't like this and say it's medicinal or dated) but because this is unusual in most men's fragrances, it gives it an alluring quality. This is followed up by lavender, jasmine, oakmoss, sandalwood, basil & spices... and yet it is so well-blended that nothing feels out of place. Sillage and projection are pleasant and moderate (it gets much softer on skin after 2 hours), and the amber and spices in the dry down smells wonderful on skin, and makes people want to get closer.

Ultimately, what I get from this upon smelling it is: Handsome, modern Italian man, in a classically well made suit, evening wear, in an elegant hotel or restaurant (somewhere on the Mediterranean coast, either in France or in Italy), he's sitting with a beautiful companion, he's, confidant, relaxed, and just enjoying the other person's beautiful company. I don't get "dated", I don't get "old", and I certainly don't get "grandpa". To me this is a very European type of style and elegance. This is for someone who is confidant, carries himself well, who is interesting and experienced, not arrogant in any way, but not shy either. Probably a dark, handsome, confidant and well dressed man who is totally comfortable being himself. In a word, self-assured.

I think this can be worn by any successful, confidant young man or older. It really depends on attitude. There is no such thing as an "old" or "dated" scent, it all depends on how the person who is wearing it feels. Plus if I am being honest, the new formulation of Azzaro pour Homme is soft and very well-mannered & very versatile in my opinion. It's even relevant today. I think if you are a young man and new to fragrances, this one will be a little confusing. But if you have some experience and enjoy this hobby, or you are mature and confident in the way you act, think or feel, then this will definitely appeal to you. There are only a few words to describe Azzaro pour Homme. A timeless, confidant, masculine classic!
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Classic
Nice fragrance. My wife likes it very much. It's a formal scent but don't smell dated or offensive.

PROS:
- Affordable price
- A classic

CONS:
- Lasting power and sillage can be better.

Worth the try.

Regards.
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
2 Awards
Bold, leathery masculine
Azzaro pour Homme may be somewhat dated, yet it has this strong sense of masculinity which you'll be hard pressed to find in modern day perfumery. With Enrique Iglesias being the modern day face for Azzaro, there are hopes that it will appeal to younger male consumers.

One thing that is fairly evident when smelling Azzaro pour Homme is its obvious strength. It opens very aromatic and thick, with lavender, caraway, basil and a note reminiscent of pine scented disinfectant. It is sharp, bold and very 'in-your-face'. I suppose that's what makes it so interesting. From a female perspective, I would be intrigued by the man who is daring enough to wear it.

Many fans refer to Azzaro pour Homme as an old-school classic. I somewhat agree. There's a lot to like about it, although it may not suit everyone's tastes. I find that you need a healthy appreciation of spices, herbs (lavender and anise in particular), and leather to enjoy Azzaro pour Homme.

Although extremely masculine and rugged, I think a daring woman could easily pull this off. The drydown is where this fragrance is at its smoothest, and it is during this stage that I enjoy wearing it myself. Despite its popularity, I can't say that I've passed many men in the street wearing this. Basic citrus colognes still seem to be the majority, and I think that's a shame.

Like many fragrances from the 70's, Azzaro pour Homme has bold sillage and great lasting strength. I'm curious as to whether this fragrance has ever undergone a reformulation. I find this long-standing classic, fascinating to say the least.
Helpful Review    4 Awards
A Fine Example Of Excellence...
One of the best masculine scents and best values... period. The geranium note stays throughout, but blends perfectly with the anise, spice, and the ambergris base. This is a classic in every sense of the word and is just as relevant today as it was in the late 70s. Superb! 4 stars out of 5.
Very helpful Review    4 Awards
Johnny Come Lately.
I had to track down a pre 2000 bottle of this huge mens powerhouse. Its worth the effort and still cheap, yet tricky to find. I never experienced it until 2011, fearing its "ladykiller" reputation. Marketing nonsense as far as my nose is concerned. Yes, this was the big French competitor to Paco Rabanne through the 1980s and beyond. I was always on the Paco Rabanne fence. Other than the openings-lavender and citrus-they are unrelated in all aspects.

Azarro is all about spices, oakmoss, vetiver and patcholi with tonka, coumarin, ambergris and iris in the base. The cardamon/sandalwood seems to put the come hither on those within sniffing distance, it has a unisex appeal and I believe a woman can wear this comfortably. 24 hours later without a shower, I am experiencing the final phase of this wonder-sandalwood, amber and musk wrapped in oakmoss are unforgettable. This is pure art. Perhaps the best drydown ever created.

Yes, its now officewear for men over 40-really?. Whatever happened to the Village People party boy? I get a 5AM disco vibe. My big bottle sits next to my big bottle of Paco Rabanne. Stately as they are, the have both been sadly reformulated. Both are relics from a bygone era when men could be men-hairy chests, sweat, tobacco and all. I feel I am developing an allegy to the 21st century and its restrictions. What a tragedy!
jtd
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Grand Fougère
We kvetch about the creative and well-made fragrances that go away because too few would wear them; we resent the crap cologne that sells like mad. Isn’t it uplifting to see a fragrance that has been so popular for so long be so spectacular?

If complexity in composition is rather old-school, then let’s hear it for the old school. I’ve referred to Azzaro pour Homme as a little busy, but it could just as easily be called baroque and detailed. Take the lavender and coumarin, the two ends of the fougère spectrum. Wedge in between them elements from the chypre and the oriental, add wood, spices, herbs. This could wind up a stew, but instead, it’s a shimmering beauty. Bergamot, clove, oakmoss, amber. Yes, all there. But there’s also petitgrain. It’s the green, woody, leafy, verging on floral key at the center of it, the small piece that locks it into place. The aha!

By historical fragrance standards, ApH is classically masculine. Screw with that a bit when you wear it and have some fun.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 10.0/10
Helpful Review    1 Award
Azzaro pour Homme
Whoa this is sexy! the quintessential 70's chic for a man or a woman who loves control i love the opening of Lemon mixed
with caraway with the sharpness of Lavender with the leafiness of fresh basil
dries to an brightness of Clary Sage the crisp texture of Anise pungent bergamot and the powdery drydown of Iris.

i love the Juniper notes on the base notes very airy dry sandalwood mixes well with the juniper berries spicy cardamom adds to the depth and patchouli
add the earthiness.

the drydown is very deep and sensual
with patches of musk coincides with amber but it's diluted to make it more masculine the dark mossy note of Oakmoss
and the best of all The Leather Drydown
with it's animalistic properties makes this an the most Sexiest men's fragrance
of all perfumery i just wish today's trends and fashion will return to dark
opulent woods orientals florals E.t.c
not the light ready to made fragrances.