Velvet Sugar by Bath & Body Works

Velvet Sugar

by Bath & Body Works (2013)
66%
66 of 100%, 5 Ratings
Released in the year 2013, apparently still in production.

Red velvet cupcake, Plum, Sugared musk, Pink jasmine, Wild strawberry

Bottle: Average
80%
1 Review Award
One sweet little number
To me Velvet Sugar smells just like those homemade strawberry shortcakes. You buy the little round (nearly tasteless) cakes and then mix up some cut up strawberries with a lot of sugar, spoon it in the cake and cover with whipped cream.. Yup, lots of strawberry, sugar and I get vanilla in this.

Not really a grown up scent unless you are looking for a fruity sugar fix. I do like it though and will occasionally wear it when around the little nieces who turn up their noses at my usual (I believe they call them 'stinky foo-foo') perfumes.

That said, this does give a few inches of throw and it does last a few hours, stays very linear.
01/11/2014
70%
3 Review Awards
Red Velvet Crushed
Velvet Sugar for me was a much anticipated release. When I first heard bath and bodyworks was releasing a perfume centered around red velvet cupcakes I was practically foaming at the mouth. I have been looking for a fragrance that captures the scent of red velvet cupcakes for a year now, beyonce's new york NYC was a disappointment to me.
So while going so crazy waiting for this scent to hit the stores I resorted to stalking the bath and bodyworks page and calling in every other day annoying the crap out of the SA's. When it was finally there I practically tore the bottle apart eager for my sniff...and did it smell like red velvet cupcakes?
Not even a little.
Sooo crushed was I. This fragrance is a sweet sugary strawberry, with plums, and a very generic white floral feel. Is it anything special? Absolutely not. Do I hate it? No, I really don't. I didn't hold a grudge even though it wasn't anything like what I expected it to be. For being a BBW synthetic strawberry scent it ain't half bad. It makes me feel 16, but the child in me never died. I wear it to work with a smile on my face.
In summary, sweet synthetic floral strawberry and plum. Very average and typical BBW. Okay but not great. I really don't find it overly sweet, I think the chemical-ness of it might make the sugar more over bearing, but I know so many gourmands that are sweeter. The bottle really does bite. I got it gifted to me at christmas and while it looks so cute the sprayer doesn't work at all. I decant mine into a travel sprayer to use.
Hayven 318 days ago
We were so excited for this, only to get something totally different than we expected. I think vanilla rum smelled more "velvet" than this did. I do like the Red Velvet lotion though. The sprayer is godawful and I bet they'll be discounting it soon.
Helpful Review - 12/23/2013
Longevity: Good
Sillage: Average
Bottle: Good
40%
5 Review Awards
Overdone Sweetness
A different unique bottle this time for the newest introduction hitting the shelves just in time a few days before Christmas. It's actually quite eye-catching with the little sprayer. I picked it up from the display and it promptly fell off the bottle. The SA told me children had been playing with it, but since the bottle was at a level of 5'10" high, I wondered how old the children were. When I tried to spray it, the atomizer had difficulty releasing the perfume. The SA admitted there was difficulty with the operation of it.
Imagine what sugar crystals or rock candy would smell like. That's what Velvet Sugar is. It's exceedingly sweet. Frankly, I can't believe this is marketed towards adult women at such a price point. This is more of a fairy-tale, Disney child's fragrance. It's pure candy in a bottle. Not that candy doesn't smell good. It does. But Velvet Sugar lacks sophistication and blending of its notes. What exactly is "Red velvet cupcake" as a note? "Sugared musk" comes across as sugar without the musk. I seriously did not get any other notes. Velvet Sugar just smells so sugary that the sweetness overtakes anything else. When I said sweet, I meant sweet.
Plopping the word "Velvet" in front of "Sugar" certainly is a misuse of words designed to attract buyers at the last minute before Christmas. The SA told me they didn't have minis available for purchase, only the Eau de Parfum's which is retailing at $39.50. Bath and Body usually rolls out a signature fragrance with an introductory trial mini, but not this time. You do the math for the wandering male walking into the store hitting this display first....
CakeCuddles 320 days ago
You're christmas display theory is very accurate, I'm pretty sure that's at least half the reason I got my bottle for christmas!
1 more Reply

Radar Chart

Popular Perfumes by Bath & Body Works

Sensual Amber by Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods by Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath & Body Works Sea Island Cotton by Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path by Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst by Bath & Body Works Chocolate Amber by Bath & Body Works Enchanted Orchid by Bath & Body Works Forever Red by Bath & Body Works White Citrus by Bath & Body Works Cherry Blossom by Bath & Body Works Sweet Pea by Bath & Body Works Orange Sapphire by Bath & Body Works Dark Kiss (Eau de Toilette) by Bath & Body Works Cashmere Glow by Bath & Body Works Velvet Tuberose by Bath & Body Works

Bath & Body Works

Website Website of Bath & Body Works

New by Bath & Body Works

Frosted Wonderland by Bath & Body Works Sugar Plum Dream by Bath & Body Works Dark Kiss (Eau de Parfum) by Bath & Body Works A Thousand Wishes by Bath & Body Works

Perfumes by Bath & Body Works

Users who like
Velvet Sugar often also like:

Hypnotic Poison by Coco Mademoiselle by Coco by Organza Indécence by L by Rock Me! Summer Of Love by