Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette)

(1934)
Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron
Where to buy?
Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) (Caron)
Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for men and was released in 1934. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by Alès Groupe.

Ernest Daltroff

Longevity 7.0/10
Scent 9.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Pour un Homme de Caron
I've turned my nose to “Pour Un Homme de Caron” because it's a classic masculine fragrance which, in spite of (no doubt) numerous reformulations, has stood the test of time, moving effortlessly across the decades and into the future.

When it comes to its composition, “Pour Un Homme de Caron” is a straightforward fragrance. The two notes in the limelight here are lavender and vanilla. I detect a soft musky background in the base as well. The scent is light and unobtrusive, yet it has a pretty decent longevity. The lack of complexity legitimately attracts some criticism. I myself, for instance, prefer more full-bodied perfumes in the colder months of the year. But let's face it. Aren't there times when many of us find comfort in unpretentious, well-composed perfumes? As far as this function is concerned, “Pour Un Homme de Caron” does wonders.

While there are heaps of fragrances that are claimed to be “timeless”, “Pour Un Homme de Caron” rightfully deserves this attribute. Not tied to any particular period, it still oozes refinement and natural elegance, and can be worn with a smart suit as well as a T-shirt and jeans. In my view, it works perfectly on a crisp spring or early summer morning, making the already fine day just a little bit more special.
Bottle 9.0/10
Sillage 6.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
The quintessential French men's cologne
I, too, feel that Pour un Homme is about lavender, vanilla and nothing much else. Whatever there's listed on the pyramid, it's there for adding durability to the lavender. I was going to say it's there 'for structure', but after giving it a second thought, it occurred to me that Pour un Homme doesn't really have a classical top-to-down structure in the manner of, say, Guerlains. This stuff is surprisingly linear as the vanilla kicks in early and the lavender hangs on late. The lavender is well balanced between being metallic and burned sugar -like. The funny thing is that the lavender and vanilla never really connect (or form a synthesis like they do in Guerlain's Jicky). They just exist, side by side. The genius of Pour un Homme's structure is in its, umm... structureless ...ness.

Someone might ask how does this compare to Guerlains Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur in terms of wearability. While I admire Jicky for it's historical significance and enjoy wearing both (especially MdM) a lot, I don't perceive either as an everyday fragrance. In comparison, Pour un Homme is much less formal; something I happily wear at the office and don't mind reapplying in the afternoon. I'm sure nobody will be offended and most likely many would be surprised if I told them I'm wearing a 80-year old formula.

Longevity is not remarkable, but liberal application on both skin and fabric will help. Also, reapplying during the day feels great and it won't mess with the dramaturgy, as the structure is what it is.

And before I forget: the bottle is wonderful.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 5.0/10
3 Awards
Lavender Heaven!
First of all, I love Lavender! I think it's so soothing and cool and aromatic and calming... and if you are like me, then this thing is Lavender Heaven in a Bottle!

Pour Un Homme de Caron is a wonderful fragrance for any man and any gentleman out there! Even though it was released 80 years ago, it doesn't smell dated! It smells classic and refined! It's basically a Lavender and Vanilla combination, with Musk in the base, and this is the same Lavender Vanilla which came from Guerlain - Jicky, and which continued until Jean-Paul Gaultier's Le Male, Dior's Eau Noire, and more recently, A Taste of Heaven by Killian. However this is the daddy of them all!

This is a classic fragrance which has a dominant, smooth, herbal Lavender note, surrounded by Sage, Rosemary, Moss, Tonka, Amber and Vanilla. The opening is bright with Lemon and Bergamot, and the heart has Rose, Rosewood and Cedarwood. What I love about it, is that it strikes a fine balance between herbal, smooth, and sweet... and in no way is it ever cloying or offensive, it's just beautifully and masterfully done!

To me, this is classic French sophistication in a bottle. Any man could wear this, at any time, at any place. It has no boundaries. The only requirement is that you love Lavender (with a little sweetness attached). I really can't see how anyone would not like this. For me, I love it! It makes me happy just to smell it anytime of day. Beautiful, beautiful stuff. Totally worth the price, and much cheaper than other "imitators" out there! Enjoy!
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Long Lasting Lavender
I have always loved the smell of lavender, even before I started collecting fragrances. Lavender grows in my garden and is one of those plants that can survive a hot Australian summer with minimal attention.

I read many rave reviews about this 'classic', but as Caron products are not available in retail stores where I live, I never got the chance to try it. Eventually I managed to get a 200ml bottle of Pour un homme from ebay quite cheaply. When I first tried the cologne I really liked it.

There is no attempt to hide the lavender in this fragrance: it is quite clearly the centre of attention. I cannot detect a huge range of notes, just lavender and vanilla with a general leafiness. I thought, "how hard can it be to make a copy of this.", so using essential oils I made something that is similar, but lasts about 1/4 of the time. How they get the fragrance to last so long is remarkable. It is one of those simple, comfortable perfumes that people will continue to buy as it is evoke memories.
Sillage 5.0/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
Timeless
Classic. Masterpiece. Timeless. Modern and retro at the same time.

If you survive the opening, you'll certanily enjoy it.

This is a must have for any fragrance lover.

It's a simple combination of lavander and vanilla that besides being simple, smells great.

One of the best lavender based fragrance i've ever smelt. In my opinion this is even better than Serge Lutens Gris Clair.

Updated January 2014
Helpful Review    5 Awards
Linen Closet of Love
One of my very most beloved fragrances. This really helps me unwind!

It's not a terribly complex fragrance but the devil is in the details:

It opens with a tremendously herbal and intoxicating natural lavender that's breathtaking. It begins to emanate more sensual notes under the lavender of cedar, vanilla, and musk. The interplay between all of the notes would be revolting if it wasn't so comforting. The whole effect is something akin to the smell of my grandmother's cedar linen cabinet, always stocked with Yardley English Lavender soap.

It manages to remain handsome, and the vanilla/cedar/musk combo is to die for despite the ice cream comments here.
Scent 8.0/10
A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
Lavender conjures up many myths and
legends Lavender
was the favorite of
Queen Elizabeth I it cures insect bites
it calms the nerves and helps you sleep
the floral it's self inspired artists &
poets.

it makes me think of a sleepy small
town in the south of France with a
small modest chapel and fields and fields
of Lavender with elderly
townspeople playing cards children playing
middle aged women hanging linen on th
e line to dry in the warm sun and your
walking though these fields obliviousness
of the thing around you the
scent put you in a trance
just walking losing sense of time
and you stop in a middle of the fields
lay down and rolling though the hill of
lavender and fall asleep.
Scent 9.0/10
Straightforward LAVENDER
Just the best lavender perfume "pour homme" on the market. Lavender mixed with a hint of vanilla - a very simple, plain structure, but a beautiful result. If you are in love with lavender, this one will capture your heart. Gorgeous!
jtd
Helpful Review    5 Awards
A fumehead have actually wrote to me to tell me he longer trusted me after reading the below:
I love lavender and I love vanilla. I think Jicky is spectacular. Why is it that I can’t stand Pour un Homme? Every bit of the balance that I find so delicious and enticing in Jicky is out of whack in Pour un Homme. The lavender and the vanilla never come together and the other elements I can find are on the sidelines urging on the fight.

Rosemary curdles the vanilla and tonka blunts the lavender. There’s a feeling of objects flying at each other, hitting, and landing with a dull thud that unfortunately lasts for hours.
Bottle 7.5/10
Scent 5.0/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
Strident Lavender-Vanilla Blend
I am aware that this fragrance has its loyal fans, but to my nose, Caron POUR UN HOMME is a loud lavender-vanilla cologne. You have to really love lavender to wear this one. Lavender-vanilla is not one of my most beloved combinations of notes, so perhaps it's not that surprising that POUR UN HOMME is not my favorite Caron--or even my favorite made-for-men Caron.

Still, I find the lavender of this particular composition exceptionally harsh and grating upon application. There is a sharpness, a brashness which I do not generally find in lavender perfumes such as Guerlain Aqua Allegoria LAVANDE VELOURS, which I sometimes use as a bedtime scent to induce sleep.

POUR UN HOMME does mellow out after a bit, but to my nose, it's always fairly strident lavender sweetened with vanilla, from start to finish.

Popular Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3e Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Montaigne by Caron Nuit de Noël by Caron Narcisse Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron Bellodgia by Caron Yuzu Man by Caron Fleur de Rocaille by Caron L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Aimez-Moi by Caron Fleurs de Rocaille (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Muguet du Bonheur by Caron Infini (1912) / L'Infini by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron