Monsieur Carven

(1978)
Monsieur Carven by Carven
83 / 100%, 16 Ratings
Monsieur Carven is a popular perfume by Carven for men and was released in 1978. The scent is spicy-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Raymond Chaillan

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Orris root, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Coconut, Labdanum, Leather, Myrrh, Vanilla, Civet

83% (16 Ratings)
69% (9 Ratings)
67% (9 Ratings)
61% (16 Ratings)
Researched and submitted by Kankuro
Edit Notes
Your Notes are only visible to you.

Characters left

Review by
Coutureguru
Helpful Review
5 Awards
"I don't wanna be alone, where is my man?"
The wonderful AromiErotici send me a box of rare delights to sample, including this discontinued gem ... thanks so much!! I now have a dozen fragrances to try and review ... all things that I would never have sought out ... very exiting!!

Carven's Monsieur Carven instantly brings the words Eartha Kitt's 80's smash hit "Where is My Man?" rushing back to me:

The kind of man that I adore is the kind of man that gives me more
of all the better things in life that aren't free.
Such things as summer by the sea, The Hamptons, Malibu ... Capri.
The kind of man who comes alive when he comes near Rodeo Drive
Is the kind of man who wins my heart with style and class,
You know I've tried some other men, the kind with zeros less than ten,
But everytime I grab the ring its always brass ...

Yes, Monsieur Carven reminds of playboys with purchased titles and the kind of cash that makes the eyes of the original 'gold-digger' sparkle :). This is the kind of guy who favours silk shirts open to the waist and a gold medallion on a chain that would cripple Croesus nestled against the crisp curls of his hairy chest ... a dazzling white smile to go with it all! You know? ... like a 007 baddie :).
The aldehydic/herbal opening of Monsieur Carven dates the fragrance and many will turn up their noses and complain that it smells 'old'. I prefer the word 'classic'. The deep floral/woodsy midsection ultimately leads to a very sensual dry down, the Civet here doing its job remarkably well creating an air of post coital raunchiness. Miss Kitt croons "I want a billionaire ... with a big, big, big, big ...................... yacht!!". Hmmm ... really?
This fragrance reminds me in more than a passing way of another leather bomb ... Piguet's Bandit. In some respects they could have been cut from the very same cloth ... or err ... formula. There exists an inherent uniqueness in fragrances like these ... they define an era. Monsieur Carven is possessed of above average longevity and reasonable sillage, but I am sure that any kind of trigger abuse here would be fatal.

Would I wear this fragrance? No, probably not ... it's overly testosterone heavy for me. I cast myself more in the 'gold-digger' role anyway :).

Coutureguru 819 days ago