Metropolis by Estēe Lauder
76 / 100%, 9 Ratings
Metropolis is a perfume by Estēe Lauder for men and was released in 1987. The scent is fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesFresh notes, Green notes, Lavender, Peppermint

70% (5 Ratings)
66% (11 Ratings)
Researched and submitted by Kankuro
Edit Notes
Your Notes are only visible to you.

Characters left

Longevity: Good
Sillage: Strong
Bottle: Good

Review by
1 Award
The Memories Of One's Youth...
Metropolis opens with an aromatic blast of lavender with supporting green peppermint before transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the peppermint becomes more prominent, taking center stage as the lavender swaps into a supporting role joined by hints of carnation, lemony rose-like geranium and slightly sweet amber rising from the base. During the late dry-down the aromatic mint and lavender vacate the composition revealing relatively clean musk joining the remaining slightly sweet amber as co-star, with hints of a rough leathery undertone through the finish. Projection is above average, as is longevity at over 10 hours on skin.

Metropolis is a composition reviving wonderful memories of its late 80s release. I remember flipping though a magazine back then, uncovering one of those perfume strip samples to try the composition out with it ultimately leaving an indelible positive mark on my memory. Alas, I was only a teenager back then with a typical teenager's money problems so I passed on purchasing a bottle with the feeling I would one day regret it. I guess I wasn't the only one to pass, as despite the composition's complete worthiness, it has long since sadly been discontinued, never being the sales magnet Estee Lauder hoped and expected. Only now, over 25 years later did that long-since buried memory emerge compelling me to seek out one of the rare bottles on the aftermarket. Was time playing tricks on me, making me believe I loved what I sniffed all those years ago more than I really did? Now having bought the bottle and spraying the composition on skin for the first time in a quarter century the answer is it lives up to the memory near-completely. I suppose expecting perfection is completely unreasonable, and the composition indeed isn't perfect. For one, it is sweeter than I remember it, but the amber-derived sweetness never gets to be too much, and the ambery sweetness comes out much more strongly on paper than on skin. A positive revelation was the natural smelling peppermint, a facet I didn't remember, instead discovered anew. The pairing of the aromatic lavender and green peppermint really is quite impressive and I am hesitant to think of another composition that does it so well (with few trying it at all). When the florals are added into the mix during the composition's middle, the whole thing comes together brilliantly. Ah memories of the wonderful 80s, where just about every release was a winner and Metropolis yet another to add to the list. Nowadays we have twenty times the amount of new releases yearly and only a tenth as many good ones... The bottom line is the sadly discontinued and extremely difficult to find on the aftermarket Metropolis is just another great example of how a composition should smell, earning it an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 rating and a strong recommendation if one can get their hands on a bottle or sample.

SirNosebleed 8 months ago
Metropolis seems very closely related to Lauder for Man; I would assume the perfumer is none other than the great Bernard Chant(who died the same year this was released).

Popular Perfumes by Estēe Lauder

Youth Dew by Estēe Lauder Pleasures by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Private Collection by Estēe Lauder Sensuous by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder Beautiful by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Aliage / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess by Estēe Lauder Spellbound by Estēe Lauder