Putain des Palaces

(2006)
Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange
73 / 100%, 87 Ratings
Putain des Palaces is a perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange for women and was released in 2006. The scent is flowery-sweet. It is still in production.

Amber, Ginger, Leather, Lily-of-the-valley, Mandarin, Rose, Violet

73% (87 Ratings)
76% (56 Ratings)
63% (47 Ratings)
53% (44 Ratings)
Researched and submitted by DonVanVliet
Edit Notes
Your Notes are only visible to you.

Characters left

MasterLi
MasterLi
1 Award
Powdery Violets...
Putain des Palaces is a name which conjures up images of "brothel whores", with powdered makeup and overt sexuality, both in attire and attitudes. But this fragrance really smells nothing like that. As with many (but not all) of the Etat Libre d'Orange line, this has a provocative name and bottle packaging which does not reflect the smell of the liquid inside.

Putain des Palaces opens up with a very juicy note, which I can only imagine is the combination between the mandarin orange and the ginger, combined with the violets. It gives everything a very "fresh" vibe which I like very much. Then the powder comes in, rose absolute, sweet violet and ambery musk-like powder, which nearly dominates the fragrance. Personally I like it, and do not find it too powdery for my taste, but I could see why other people might. There is also lilly-of-the-valley here, which combined with the powdery rose and violets, give this more of an "antique" fragrance smell, more associated with the old fashioned, conservative female floral perfumes of the past. However in true Etat Libre d'Orange style, it's still wearable... as they know how to balance the line between controversy and convenience.

I think this one is very accessible, as long as you are ok with a little dusty powder and slightly "old smelling" florals. Personally I think this one is quite nice, and for me, very wearable. But as with all fragrances from this house, sample and test before buying.

01/04/2013
Longevity: Very good
Bottle: Average
80%

Ysbrand
Ysbrand
Helpful Review
6 Awards
Undressed is not the same than naked
Prostitution is a professional field with so many areas and levels of specialization that one single perfume might probably fail in representing the entire range of prostitute types.
Smelling Putain des Palaces maybe i could get the "for sale" vibe, but if so, it is certainly not for a cheap price. Precisely, Etat Libre d´Orange is very clear, for this is the type of professionals you can see in the lobbies and bars of five stars plus hotels and earn in one month what i do in one year.

The opening is a fresh bouquet of flowers: i catch mostly rose and a bit of lily of the valley/lilac with a sugary leather. The flowers step back a bit, and the leather/make up/orris steps forward... it turns warmer, like a superfine smooth suede, a skin scent, slightly musky. The flowers are delicately caramelized. At this stage is a very easy, sexy yet elegant fragance.

Drydown is skunkier. Just between you and me, i couldn´t tell if there is pussy in there as some say, washed or unwashed (if there is, i like it after all) but the leather, caramel and violet intensifies and tempering the sweetness there is a slight bitterness that make me think of heliotrope or almond. The perfume smells warmer and more ambery. The skin feeling is more evident. If this fragance had a color, it would be many hues of nude.

A great example of how classy and sexy can go together without taking from each other.

Ysbrand 966 days ago

Coutureguru
Coutureguru
Helpful Review
7 Awards
Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
The first 10 minutes of PdP on my skin are deliciously skanky ... like I've been 'taken advanage of' in the back of a limo :). Of course, this is a Maybach, with delicious caramel leather upholstery and a gift of deliciously fragrant roses, violets and muguet tossed carelessly aside on the facing seat :). The couture is Westwood, no doubt, the cigarettes are Gauloise and the city is Paris. Leaving the Haute Couture shows of Fashion Week we are on the way from a bar in the Marais to my suite at Hôtel Scribe ... he's at least 15 years younger than I ... there I will become Putain des Palaces.
Intense immagination is a power granted by the fragrances of Etat Libre d' Orange.

05/27/2012
Longevity: Good
80%

Very helpful Review
3 Awards
Call me a "Hotel Whore"--if you must!
It took me a long time to recover from my testing of Etat Libre d'Orange Sécrétions Magnifiques and to muster up the courage to test more perfumes from this line, but I am happy that I did. So far I have encountered some very worthy creations--some more worthy than others, but all interesting in their own right. (Except for SM, of course)

My latest pleasant surprise is that I quite like PUTAIN DES PALACES! The opening evokes memories of Frédéric Malle LIPSTICK ROSE, which I also love (and own), but after that the two compositions diverge somewhat, with LIPSTICK ROSE becoming more of a waxy rose perfume, while PUTAIN DES PALACES becomes more ambery and dark, with a leathery edge. The violet and rose are still detectable in the drydown, but they are buttressed by the darker components. I would not describe this scent as "skanky", and to those reviewers who compare PUTAIN DES PALACES to the smell of dirty private parts, well, I'm not sure what to say.

One concern is that if some people really do perceive it in that way, then should it be worn only in private contexts, just to play it safe? Or should we throw caution to the wind, and not worry what other people think? Well, in any case, I certainly think that PUTAIN DES PALACES smells great.

Call me a "Hotel Whore"--if you must!

Eternity 1175 days ago
:-) Well to me this is a mix of a nice and warm powdery scent but at some point through its development it has a urine note that diminishes step by step. Most certainly an interestng scent!
1 more Reply

Popular Perfumes by Etat Libre d'Orange

Divin'Enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange Like This - Tilda Swinton by Etat Libre d'Orange Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes / Philippine Houseboy by Etat Libre d'Orange Rossy de Palma / Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d'Orange Vierges et Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen by Etat Libre d'Orange Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange Encens et Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange