Givenchy Gentleman

(1974)
Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy
79 of 100%, 168 Ratings
Released in the year 1974, apparently still in production, produced by LVMH.
Perfumer: Paul Léger

76% (93 Ratings)
65% (96 Ratings)
Researched and submitted by DonVanVliet
Edit Notes
Your Notes are only visible to you.

Characters left

05/03/2015
90%

GothicHeart
GothicHeart
1 Award
Hell-bent on staying a gent...
Prologue

Last days of April. A sunny and warm day, serves as a reminder that summer is never too far away. Not in the small part of the world where he lives at least. He enters leisurely a small and very old cosmetics shop, owned by a middle-aged lady who reminds him of this clever and kind aunt that almost all of us remember from our childhood. Having just smoked a couple of fags, he puts a chewing gum in his mouth. His eyes are scanning the fragrance shelves during the pleasantries. He spots a 50ml splash bottle of Azzaro's Acteur, and considering its 20€ price a bargain for such a vintage piece, he grabs it and walks towards the cash register. And there he sees them and nearly swallows his chewing gum.
Three (!!!) 109ml (not a typo) splash bottles of Givenchy Gentleman, half-hidden in the showcase which also serves as the cashier desk. They lie among brushes, pantyhoses and barrettes, inexplicably away from the fragrance shelves. Trying to act as indifferent as possible, he asks to have a look at them. Their boxes are slightly worn and dirty, and their top side is sealed with a small transparent sticker, bearing the Givenchy logo. But there is no barcode, no estimated sign, no green dot and no EMB code. His heart starts missing a beat in every two. These come from mid to late '70s! He asks whether it would be possible to check them out. The lady, feeling there's a good chance to get rid of three bottles that were collecting dust for almost 40 years, grants him the permission. He opens the boxes from their bottom sides. The bottles are full. He unscrews their caps and he's nearly floored by what his doing unleashes. Trying to put himself together, he asks for a price for the lot of them. He can have them all for half the price of a typical Creed. He stashes them in his mailman bag, and after a slight bow towards this perfume vault involuntary keymistress [sic], he exits the shop. Hindering the impulse to run home and bury his nose in the bottles, he goes on with his business as if nothing had happened. Bows, sang-froid...It seems like the three newly acquired bottles have already started working their magic, by granting him some gentleman's qualities before even opening them. Finally, he returns home in late afternoon, makes a coffee, lights another fag, and...

Main Act

"I never can be tied to raw, new things.
...
Such treasures, left from times of cautious leaven,
Cannot but loose the hold of flimsier wraiths
That flit with shifting ways and muddled faiths
Across the changeless walls of earth and heaven."

Howard Phillips Lovecraft, "Background"

Adding anything about the way Givenchy Gentleman smells would be superfluous. Hundreds of lovers or haters have described it very aptly before me, using sometimes the exact same reasons to justify loving or hating it. So my contribution here will be in the form of simply asking why such a ridiculously good fragrance has followed the fate of the dinosaurs, like a gigantic, mighty creature which was outlived by rodents. And if someone tells me that Givenchy Gentleman is not extinct, I'll beg to differ. Cause from what I read, its current formulation is so similar with its vintage one as much as dinosaurs were similar to mammals. In the sense that yes, both species are animals. But any further similarity ends there.
I usually avoid judging scents without testing them, but I think that one with half its notes synthetically replicated in a lab can't hold a candle to one laden with civet (probably the real thing) and oakmoss. The one acre of patchouli per bottle ratio is of course a staple, thus there's no use mentioning it. The funny thing however, is how a fragrance so stupendously fraught with something that its excessive use would label someone as a hippie when it was launched, has "gentleman" written on its bottle.
But please don't get me wrong. I like the hippies' simple life-approach very much, although I never strengthened their ranks. But true gentlemanship has nothing to do with the way one dresses, just like gallantry has nothing to do with one's size and education has nothing to do with schools. Some of the most decent gentlemen I've met so far, were shy, humble people with courageous hearts and little school education.
And speaking of schools, yes, Givenghy Gentleman is definitely the epitome of old-school. It's actually so old-school, that I guess it was already the headmaster of the powerhouse school when lads like Kouros and Antaeus entered first grade.

Epilogue

What was that again? How the current reformulated version smells like? Rhett?...
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Efemmeral 21 days ago
what marvelous good fortune. sometimes a modern version of a fragrance is passable, but with the Gentleman I brook no pretenders. do please enjoy your marination in this perfect resolution of the raw and the elegant whilst I stew in my envy!
04/21/2014
Sillage: Very strong
100%

Soulmates
Soulmates
Masked
A quite powerful mediterranean aromatic fougère of dried spices is almost completely masked with a big dose of minty-chocolate patchouly á la headshop. This interplay of contrariant forces, of dried herbs and camphor-coolness, gives a feel like India is situated at the Côte d'Azur. The recent version is close to a perfect scent: Exceptional, confident, reckless, affable and sexy.

12/09/2013
100%

Scentemental
Scentemental
3 Awards
Leather and patchouli delight
Even though this is not my absolute number one favourite, it comes a close second. The richness of the patchouli and leather accord are astounding. I really love patchouli and this smells awesome! I have had bottles of patchouli essential oil and they were nothing compared with Givenchy Gentleman. It is almost as though the creators have found some way to make a more intense form of the essential oil! This is one heavy fragrance, full of organic denseness. I have the vintage and reformulation, and while the vintage is more animalistic, the reformulation is my favourite if the two (it is the woodiness that does it for me). I like that it can be worn in summer, autumn, winter or spring and I find my self wearing it much more often than Kouros, my favourite. the sillage and longevity are excellent and this one stays edgy all the way through its life on the skin: there is no gentle ending for this one!

06/04/2013
Bottle: Average

CeeGo
CeeGo
1 Award
old school
If you like to smell like typical middle-aged man from 70´ walking outside the small music bar with cigar in his hand, dreesed in a suit, with stubble on his face - this is what fit you absolutely. One of my best form Givechy. Only one objection - less cinnamon for me and it will be perfect.

12/28/2012

Krmarich
Krmarich
4 Awards
Vintage Opinion
This heavy resinous classic from the 1970s is one of the greenest patcholi bombs ever. Its somewhat heavy handed in a few areas leaving some distance between it and myself. It is definitive of the 1970s. I love the chypre character, yet its a beast in a guilded cage.

I didnt encounter it until after Giorgio for men. It was the obvious inspiration for the later. Gentleman is much more encryptic. I see Kouros in it more. It was the beginning of the mens powerhouse.

Its darker and more cold than Giogio. I would have to say somewhat more rugged than anything offered later. Its not really a gentleman. Its more of a libertine. Thats it! The low, dirty civet. How could I have missed the obvious? It hides behind every note like a predator, waiting to pounce. Its like its trying to hide its beast within.

Who needs testosterone gel with giants like Gentleman, Anteus and Kouros? Its as if the BIG patcholi was meant to hide the skanky civet. I am finding civet to be a rare moment on my skin lately. I still appreciate it, but yes, it IS animal piss. I salute the boldness, yet wear them infrequently today

12/21/2012
80%

Drseid
Drseid
Buy The Vintage...
This is a review for the vintage juice...

I have heard vintage Givenchy Gentleman compared to Giorgio for Men by others, and while I can see where they are coming from I believe they are in the right ballpark, but just a bit off the mark with their aim on this one. This juice is actually a dead ringer during its top notes for the lesser known but equally as good sister scent, Giorgio VIP for Men (that is more leather focused). I placed VIP on my right arm and Givenchy Gentleman on the left, and with some minor variances I was sold that I had found a replacement for the very expensive and long since discontinued VIP early-on. Well, not so fast... Similarities remain between the two scents throughout, but Givenchy Gentleman turns much more mossy, less sweet and slightly less refined when you get past the top notes. I would not really say it is inferior to VIP, just different...

OK, comparisons to VIP set aside, what does it smell like? It starts out with a very beautiful cinnamon, honey, ginger and tarragon. It is almost a soapy smooth opening, with just a hair of the leather from the mid notes making itself known early-on. The scent then moves completely to its more rough mossy, leathery heart combining with a good dose of patchouli and vetiver. The oak moss, patchouli and leather are the stars all the way through its slightly animalic base. It is very old school (a very good thing in my book) and has some really good strength. Projection and longevity are both well above average.

Givenchy Gentleman in its vintage form is an incredible classic that I am ashamed I have not tried until recently. I have heard the recent reformulation has been unkind to the scent, and if so, it is a darn shame. Vintage juice at a "sane" price is still available but getting scarcer and pricier by the minute, so my advice is to stock-up folks. This classic masculine is a really good one! 4 out of 5 stars.

07/15/2012

jtd
jtd
unsuccessful
I imagine that this one has not so much been reformulated as fallen prey to the Humpty Dumpty syndrome.

Was this really an animalic, patchouli leather? Filthy in that perfect way? It’s now a triple S-bomb: shrill, saccharine, scary. GG takes all the potential off notes of patchouli, groups them together, and then makes a point of adding nothing that might mitigate this fingers-on-a-chalkboard calamity.

04/09/2012
Sillage: Average
70%

2 Awards
Unisex; spicy incense and leather
A woman can certainly pull this fragrance off. I wear it, and I wear it proudly.

Givenchy Gentleman is all about soft woods, cinnamon incense, earthy patchouli and sweet musk. To my nose, as strange as it may sound, this smells like an old-fashioned closet full of musty clothes and pink candy musk sticks.

My god this is heavenly. To be honest, I love it so much on myself that it'd be hard for me to smell it on my man. He's used to my masculine and smokey scents, yet the other day when I sprayed this on my neck he had no clue it was marketed for men. Bless his heart, he actually mistook it for Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere.

Towards the drydown Givenchy Gentleman becomes quite powdery and tends to resemble the scent of shaving foam. I've actually resorted to shaving my legs with men's shaving foam seeming that it's a whole five dollars cheaper than feminine shaving foam, so I'm used to my body smelling like this.

It makes me feel so refined yet powerful at the same time. This is one of those great powerhouse scents from the 70's with amazing longevity and sillage, however I must add that I don't find this fragrance dated.

Oh, it's just so comforting, like a hug from your loved one while you're curled up beside a fire on a cold Winter's night.

01/28/2012
80%

AromiErotici
AromiErotici
3 Awards
Gentleman ( Vintage Formula ) by Givenchy
Givenchy Gentleman Vintage formula

Bergamot, Lemon, Rose, Honey, Cinnamon.
Patchouli, Jasmine, Cedar, Orris root.
Amber, Vetiver, Patchouli, Leather, Moss, Musk, Vanilla.

Risking the snobbery label, once again I have to praise the vintage formula over that of the current rendition. I have tried several wearings of the newer and there's nothing wrong with it. It simply doesn't compare to the original.

You have to love the patchouli note to admire Givenchy Gentleman. This is refined ruggedness as opposed to hippie. Patchouli is, more or less, a pigeon-holed note. The difficulty lies in making it appealing to those who don't necessarily love the aroma of it. I suppose if I was on the fence with patchouli, I may pass on Gentleman ( in any of its renditions ), but it's such a well done masculine version that the possibility of numerous sample wears would be likely.
The vintage formula is aggressive from the initial application, but within 5 minutes or so calms down to reveal a dirty jasmine-rose smothered in patchouli. The citrus accompaniment is rather short lived on me and it seems to be present only as a conventional courtesy. It dilutes the patchouli enough to where it's not overwhelming.

By the time the heart accord arrives, an earthy tone envelopes the composition and precedes the arrival of leather. The ratio of vetiver and leathery moss keeps Givenchy Gentleman in the masculine category. It is this combination that ( to me ) is the magic of this fragrance. Surprisingly, it's not overbearing and the volume of the accords is acceptable.

Through the life of the wearings, Givenchy Gentleman never attains a genuine softness. It is always a bit edgy, even when everything becomes smoother. The volume ( naturally ) dies down, yet Gentleman never fully

relaxes into a comfort scent. It always has something left to do and I enjoy the insinuation of energy in this creation.

The drydown and beyond is merely a continuation of gritty floral notes, earthy patchouli and a well done woody-mossy-leather combo. Long into the life of the scent, a wispy oriental vibe takes this home.

Sillage is good to strong and longevity is half the day. Big thumbs up for Givenchy's classic Patchouli bomb that goes by the name of Gentleman.

Popular Perfumes by Givenchy

Pi by Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy Ange ou Démon by Givenchy Organza (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Amarige by Givenchy Ysatis by Givenchy Dahlia Noir by Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy Insensé by Givenchy Organza Indécence by Givenchy Gentlemen Only by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy for Men by Givenchy Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy Very Irrésistible Givenchy (Eau de Parfum) by Givenchy Ange ou Démon Le Secret / Ange ou Étrange Le Secret by Givenchy Givenchy III by Givenchy Play by Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy Vetyver (2007) by Givenchy Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy