Flacon Design: Kuntzel+Deygas

La petite Robe noire (2012)

by Guerlain (2012)
67%
67 of 100%, 269 Ratings
Released in the year 2012, apparently still in production.
Perfumer: Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top Notes Fruits, Glycyrrhiza, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart Notes Cherry, Almond, Rose, Violet
Base Notes Base Notes Musk, Patchouli, Smoky tea, Vanilla

67% (269 Ratings)
78% (189 Ratings)
66% (186 Ratings)
82% (191 Ratings)
YouTube View Video of La petite Robe noire (2012) (YouTube)
Vimeo View Video of La petite Robe noire (2012) (Vimeo)
Researched and submitted by Kankuro
05/16/2014
Longevity: Average
Sillage: Strong
Bottle: Good
80%
1 Review Award
Lovely gourmand!
Let's get this out of the way: I love this. So very much. It's one of the few fragrances that made me want more of it after the first try. Wearing this conjures images of young ladies in tulle twirling around. Gorgeous.

Like some of the other reviewers, I agree that this isn't a perfume wholly reflecting mature womanhood. It's reminiscent of youth, sliding on the girly side; an embodiment of confident young ladies who have the world at their feet.

Now moving on to the scent itself. In the bottle, it seems rather "deep". I'm not quite sure how else to describe it. It reminds me of a pitch black night that goes on and on. I think this comes from the liquorice and patchouli? A little sweet, but not at all unpleasant.

Upon spraying, I get a blast of cherries and liquorice with some tea playing in the background, but not much of anything else. It's a little candy-like, even - a sour tinge also comes into the mix.

Over the next hour, it somehow succeeds in becoming just a tad sweeter. The tonka note begins to peak through along with something like a spice, and there's a faintly discernible floral presence.

It stays like this for a while, then gently turns the bend towards deeper zones. The tea is now a lovely black, the cherries aren't as sweet anymore. Vanilla comes up a little more, while the liquorice is just hanging around the way it has been since the beginning. All the flowers become deeper, too, thanks in part to the patchouli, IMHO. This goes on right up to the end of its presence on my skin, a total of 3.5 hours.

I find myself wishing that the roses were more prominent, and that it had better longevity on me. Sillage was just right - it projected a little, but not too much. Again, I love this a lot.

Note: I have a sample of the LPRN EDT, and to me, it is similar, but does not develop into a deeper scent the way the EDP does. The EDT is a lot more girly, a little more fun, but unfortunately lacking in the longevity and sillage departments.
Helpful Review - 09/06/2012
Longevity: Good
Sillage: Strong
60%
4 Review Awards
Guerlain does a Lolita Lempicka Flanker?
Well, my enchantment with the house of Guerlain fizzled out some time ago, and by the time INSOLENCE arrived on the scene, I had completely lost all faith. No more blind buys, I vowed, although I continue to test when presented with a vial, as I was recently by Sephora of LA PETITE ROBE NOIRE (2012).

The most obvious thing to say would be that this perfume is decidedly un-Guerlain, but perhaps it would be better by now to renounce the use of the word 'Guerlainesque' altogether. Guerlain is not Guerlain anymore. Nothing could be clearer to me. The bottle strikes me as a sort of cruel joke. So what is this perfume, if not what Guerlain used to be?

It seems to me that it would fit right in with the Lolita Lempicka range. I'd place LA PETITE ROBE NOIRE (2012) about midway between LE PREMIER PARFUM and FLEUR DEFENDUE with perhaps a bit of Jesus del Pozo IN BLACK thrown in for good measure. Licorice, cherry, patchouli, almonds, tonka bean, vanilla. Yes.

Upon initial application I was struggling to see the difference between the demeanor of this composition and that of a celebrity scent. However, I do own that the quality is higher than those sweet fruity patchouli perfumes. I am not convinced, however, that this is any better than the Lolita Lempicka launches on this very same theme. I do not put a lot of stake in originality in perfumes, so the question for me becomes: does this smell any better than its already available close olfactory neighbors?

The answer is: No.
Gold 784 days ago
Indeed, the answer is NO. I agree... it's probably a Guerlain-Grotesque, apart from not being "Guerlainesque". The 2009 version was much better, this one smells artificial and too loud. Btw, I share your view on Insolence...- a turning-point it was..
08/25/2012
60%
5 Review Awards
Berry-chouli
Upon application, I'm hit with ripe berry juice that has been sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. To a certain extent, the berries remind me of the berry accord in Estee Lauder's Wood Mystique and in the original Hot Couture No 1 by Givenchy. The only difference is that Givenchy does this accord better - the Givenchy leaves a darker and more natural impression of berries, whereas the EL leaves a berry impression that's got the Lauder vibe. LPRN leaves a bright, sweetened impression of berries than these other two, although they are all on the same playground.

As La Petite Robe Noire dries, the berries subside and there's a muddled phase in which the rose seems to emerge but never really presents itself with any force. At this point, I really don't know what the scent is other than some potluck melange of drying berries, weak roses, and patchouli. When dry, the fragrance is a bouyant base of musked, vanillic patchouli - nice but neither spectacular nor unique.

I think La Petite Robe Noire could be fantastic if it was truly Noire, but it's not - it's a daytime scent for soccer moms that's on the edge of having baby's juicy juice from the sippy cup spilt down the front of your blouse. If you like this style but want something deeper & darker & more mature, give the original Hot Couture No 1 a try.

La Petite Robe Noire is good, respectable, and better than most scents on the market. However, it's not up to the usual Guerlain standard. A bit of a disappointment.

Radar Chart

by EvaK
by Daneh

Popular Perfumes by Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extrême by Guerlain Shalimar by Guerlain Habit Rouge by Guerlain L'Instant Magic by Guerlain Mitsouko by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Jicky by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain La petite Robe noire (2012) by Guerlain Vetiver by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Samsara by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain Héritage (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Guerlain

Website Website of Guerlain

New by Guerlain

Idylle Love Blossom by Guerlain Santal Royal by Guerlain La petite Robe noire Brume Cheveux / Hair Mist by Guerlain La petite Robe noire Limited Edition 2014 (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Perfumes by Guerlain

Similar smelling perfumes

Chantal Thomass by Louve by Le Premier Parfum (2012) by Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by

Users who like
La petite Robe noire (2012) often also like:

Shalimar by Shalimar Parfum Initial by L'Instant Magic by Coromandel by Hypnotic Poison by Jicky by