Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

Amber & Lavender

by Jo Malone (1995)
62%
62 of 100%, 33 Ratings
Released in the year 1995, apparently still in production.

Top Notes Top Notes Bergamot, Lavender, Mint

Bottle: Good
70%
2 Review Awards
For men and women
I've only recently delved into the house of Jo Malone, and from what I've experienced so far, I'm impressed. Many dislike the simplistic nature of these colognes, and as a result, Jo Malone has been discussed frequently on our forums as not being worth the money spent. I agree that they can put a dent in your pocket, but I do enjoy them for layering purposes or even to spritz on when I don't want anything too loud or offensive.

Amber & Lavender is a charming unisex fragrance. It opens slightly masculine, with rich aromatic qualities and a heavy dose of lavender. I love lavender and often use it for soothing purposes. I'm also one of the rare few that find the smell of it rather seductive and alluring.

It's not all about the lavender of course, but it does feature strongly, particularly in the opening and the heart. I absolutely love the way Amber & Lavender settles on my skin; aromatic yet oddly clean. It's refreshing at the best of times and very easy to wear.

There's a glorious, subtle hint of mint that really freshens up the composition, also making it suitable for the warmer months. Although I would prefer this fragrance on a chilly day, the options are endless as it's a fairly versatile scent.

The amber accord isn't syrupy nor outrageously oriental like you may expect it to be. Every note in this fragrance is quite mellow and smooth. Patchouli and myrrh only add to this fragrance's beauty.

Another wonderful thing about Amber & Lavender is that it lasts. This can't be said of every Jo Malone fragrance, so I consider it a big plus. I'm surprised that this fragrance isn't more popular. I can only assume that women may forgo this fragrance thinking that it is only intended to be worn by men. I personally think it could go both ways. You'll either buy it for yourself or for your partner.
Helpful Review - 05/05/2012
100%
4 Review Awards
Classic elegance
I think many people find Amber & Lavender a bit too conventional to get excited about. It is, after all, a conventionally constructed, classic fougere. However, what separates it from others in the genre is how well crafted it is and by that measure Amber & Lavender is very underated.

You will not find the level of quality embodied in A&L in many department store, designer fragrances. Everything about A&L is completely natural and warm. There is not a synthetic smelling note in this comfortable fragrance. Everything about it is so well balanced, too. For instance, even though the lavender is very natural smelling -meaning it's slightly sharp and not soapy- it keeps its place in the overall hierarchy of the fragrance. The same can be said of the patchouli in the base. So often patchouli ends up overwhelming a fragrance. Not in A&L. You smell patchouli from beginning to end but it's very mannerly and warm without becoming a monster.

Look, the world follows conventions for a reason and this not a fragrance a 20 something is going to bathe in before a night of clubbing and bar hopping. There are situations where we want others to feel comfortable and we don't want to make an overt statement with our clothing or fragrance. So think of A&L as sort of the sports coat of the perfume world. A really nice sports coat. You can wear it casually with a button down shirt and a pair of jeans or, if need be, you can wear that same coat with a white shirt and a tie for work or business. What you can depend on is that your Amber & Lavender sport coat has an air of elegance that will be appropriate for many ocassions.
Apicius 932 days ago
This review makes me curious. Generally, I am not so fond of Jo Malone, but maybe I should think twice.
2 more Replies

Radar Chart

Popular Perfumes by Jo Malone

Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Rose Water & Vanilla by Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone Grapefruit by Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli Cologne Intense by Jo Malone Orange Blossom by Jo Malone Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone Red Roses by Jo Malone

Jo Malone

Website Website of Jo Malone

New by Jo Malone

Pomegranate Noir Limited Edition by Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica Limited Edition by Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone Silk Blossom by Jo Malone

Perfumes by Jo Malone

Users who like
Amber & Lavender often also like:

Angélique Noire by Tobacco Vanille by Noir de Noir by Cuir Beluga by Vanitas by Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by