Sideris by Maria Candida Gentile
7.7 / 10     55 Ratings
Sideris is a popular perfume by Maria Candida Gentile for women and was released in 2009. The scent is woody-smoky. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLabdanum, Myrrh, Saffron, Frankincense, White pepper

Longevity 9.0
Scent 8.5
Very helpful Review    5 Awards
Sideris
You can call Maria Candida Gentile's fragrances anything but run-of-the-mill or bland. In each of her perfumes I've sampled so far, I detect a vast amount of originality, expertise and passion for perfumery. Her creations are far from straightforward or instantly lovable. On the contrary, it takes some time for their wearer to get under their skin and appreciate them. This was certainly my case. I'll never forget my first encounter with a Maria Candida Gentile perfume, “Barry Lyndon”. At first, I just did not get it at all. Fortunately, instead of deterring me, that experience stiffened my resolve. I kept testing it and now “Barry Lyndon” is one of my favourite perfumes from Ms Gentile's line.

“Sideris”, inspired partly by Cesare Pavese's (unrequited) love poem, is another fragrance from Maria Candida Gentile. Unlike “Barry Lyndon”, I found “Sideris” a little less challenging. It was the flawless blending of all its notes that struck me right away. None of them is allowed to “shout”, yet there are quite a lot of them that are perceptible even to an untrained nose like mine. “Sideris” opens with a pleasant combination of saffron and myrrh, which is soon joined by incense. However, don't expect any pungent, churchy incense. What we are given instead is a soft, incense-y background. In the heart, I pick up a delicate rose note, once again playing a supporting role rather than being the star. The whole fragrance rests on a pleasant benzoin and vanilla base which provides it with a hint of sweetness. Somewhere along the way, the Greek mountain tea sideritis is supposed to feature in the perfume, but since I've no idea what it smells like, I can't confirm nor refute its presence.

All in all, Maria Candida Gentile's “Sideris” is an extremely well-balanced and beautifully composed fragrance. It's a perfect olfactory interpretation of Pavese's poignant poem and so much more. Whenever I smell it, it reminds me of an embrace. A warm, reassuring embrace from a close friend whose mere presence makes my heart jump for joy.
04/25/2014
Scent 8.0
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Wonderful
In my opinion Maria Candida Gentile is one of the best perfumers around nowadays. Her scents are so difficult to discribe. She perfected the art of blending (very high quality ingredients) and her perfumes are not a combination of loose ingredients, but much more of a rounded new scent with a lot of facets. Anyway it is hard to brake down her perfumes and to isolate the different ingredients in order to discribe them. So I won't.

I love the incense and the resins fibe in Sideris. It's warm, woody, balmy, powdery and comforting and it's sweet, but not cloying. It's more feminine than masculine. This is a real beauty that has taken a very important place in my collection.

Popular Perfumes by Maria Candida Gentile

Barry Lyndon by Maria Candida Gentile Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile Sideris by Maria Candida Gentile Noir Tropical by Maria Candida Gentile Hanbury by Maria Candida Gentile Cinabre by Maria Candida Gentile Gershwin by Maria Candida Gentile Finisterre by Maria Candida Gentile Luberon by Maria Candida Gentile Burlesque by Maria Candida Gentile Gentile by Maria Candida Gentile Lady Day by Maria Candida Gentile Kitrea by Maria Candida Gentile Syconium by Maria Candida Gentile Leucò by Maria Candida Gentile Elephant & Roses by Maria Candida Gentile