Flacon Design: René Lalique

Habanita

by Molinard (1921)
81%
81 of 100%, 202 Ratings
Released in the year 1921, production apparently discontinued.

Top Notes: Galbanum, Mastic resin, Petitgrain
Heart Notes: Heliotrope, Jasmine, Nutmeg, Rosa centifolia, Vetiver, Ylang-ylang, Cedarwood
Base Notes: Ambergris, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla
81% (202 Ratings)
95% (158 Ratings)
87% (121 Ratings)
79% (115 Ratings)

This perfume was researched and submitted by DeGe53

This fragrance was originally designed to go with cigarette smoking.

10/31/2013
2 Review Awards
Don't mess with me...
Habanita is a phenomenon in stultifying the lot of pretentious super-duper niche fragrances which ask for an arm and a leg to grant you the favor of having them. She embarrasses the hell out of them! She is the mulatta step-sister of Molinard de Molinard. The black sheep and the disgrace of an otherwise noted noble French family. She is how I imagine Tia Dalma would smell, during her ventures along with The Pirates of the Caribbean... A nasty shrew that grabs your throat and utters YOUR last rites as you stand shivering in shock and awe! A scent that would stop The Kraken dead in its tracks! And she surely knows a trick or two to show the newcomers their place. After all, she is around for about a century now... And rumours have it that she is still haunting the narrow, cobblestone alleys around Victor Hugo Boulevard in Grasse, where she was born, in order to find the chance to whisper to her siblings: "DO NOT be like me, for you shall always be alone..."
Helpful Review - 09/10/2013
5 Review Awards
Habanita Strikes For Power With Its Uniqueness
My initial reaction when I first tested Habanita, I took a whiff and it opened my eyes with surprise. This is an exciting perfume, to say the least. It stands alone amongst many that have been marketed. It is a unique treasure that cannot be duplicated or counterfeited in any way.
It's sensual, it's dark, it's smoky, it's leather, it's powder, it's rubber, it's a sharp assault in your face that drys down to an unusual scent that's very difficult to describe but absolutely one of a kind. For me, there are no flowery notes. It drys down to a powder that wraps itself around leather, tobacco, musk, oakmoss and benzoin. It's warm and smoldering. Not a warm that you wrap yourself in a blanket with warm. Habanita exudes a sexual warmth. It's musky in its own way, but not a typical musk that one expects that is so common on the market today.
Each time I wear it, I pick up different nuances of this quaint perfume and I am looking forward to wearing it in the different seasons. This was a blind order for me and I am delighted with it. It's a red lipstick, dark eyeliner and boots kind of perfume. Others won't recognize it, which is a good thing. You'll stand alone and be remembered. It's a wonderful addition to my collection.
I don't reach for Habanita very regularly. I can't even say I wear it that often. But when the mood strikes me, it's a frag that is so unique, it I know my entire demeanor is different. This perfume is meant for a person with a zest and passion for what they are about to do because it is a strong fragrance for a woman that can pull it off. Definitely not for the weak, not for a wallflower, and not for the shy. If you want to be remembered, and not necessarily in a good girl way, then this perfume is one to try. After all, how many perfumes do you know that smell of leather, smoke and benzoin, tempered with woods and moss notes? What an incredulous combination. This is a power-house scent, but not for power in the boardroom. It's for power elsewhere.
Whenever I wear it, men seem to be hypnotized and comment on it. Strangers even. This is the one fragrance I'll wear that strange men will ask me about, comment on or want to get closer. Habanita lays low but is the strongest, most compelling perfume I own.
Digindirt 225 days ago
Nice review, I completely agree.
Helpful Review - 11/24/2012
12 Review Awards
Taking the lead
Well well well, what do we have here? A Cougar in a bottle that's what!
Habanita is a woman on the prowl and she takes no prisoners. This lady holds her own and she knows what she wants.

Her darkness shines through quite suddenly drawing you in slowly and steadily. Just when you think you have a handle on her, she quickly changes into a cool, calm, and collected power player. You try to resist but it's too late. She has her claws in you and there's no backing out now.

She moves with stealth leaving the meek behind. She wants to dominate her audience and control their actions. All we can do is follow.

While I am not very good at detecting individual notes, I am a lover of woodsy notes that cast a powdery glow. Impressive to say the least. She is the leader of the Pack!
Digindirt 225 days ago
I don't get any citrus or sour. @Dlane, this review is for the current.
4 more Replies
Helpful Review - 11/11/2012
11 Review Awards
Breaking in a pair of shoes
To me, Habanita is a dancer. Not necessarily flamenco-dancer as the name might suggest, but just any dancer who´s actually so passionate about the dancing, that she´ll not only break in the pair of shoes, but eventually break those shoes completely !

And yet much more. It has certain depth that fits well watching Tarkowski-movies or film noir - who could watch film noir wearing Angel or Candy ? It just wouldn´t fit.

Habanita starts with quite bewildering top-notes, that´s when one will want to go dancing or do something creative, perhaps even something daring. And sometimes, something very daring !
In aromatherapy Labdanum is the one who´s "quilty" of letting go of inhibitions, is this the secret of Habanita ?
However, it must be the petit grain that makes it also so zitric, surprisingly zitric even. That is the one note which I do not smell so well in summer, for summer Habanita is rather only on the heavier side, but in winter it shows also more bitter, zitrus-like notes which I like.

Yet at heart it gets softer, more balanced, sometimes I even think of "L´Heure Bleue" by Guerlain, not so much for the smell but the mood. Both are deep and mysterios, Habanita gets more introverted and darker towards the heart and basis, even gloomier at times.

Like aoe, towards basis Habanita is somewhat like waxed leather indeed, and I do wear leather ! Still, with me it´s the spices that rule with amber and patchouli, vanilla stays rather decently in the back-ground rounding it all up...
And lasts definately longer than 4 hours, in summer easily until the next day.

The only minus Habanita has for me, is, that I sometimes get headache from it.
Yet, it´s worth risking it ! :)
Callas 526 days ago
My head must be also fit for Habanita ;-)
07/15/2012
3 Review Awards
habanita
I can't really read Habanita. The synergy that others describe doesn't happen for me. I actually search for a bit of dissonance in a perfume. It lends character, a bit of mystery. Maybe just gives it a laugh. Even outright antagonism can be effective (see the floral leather genre.)

Habanita has neither synergy, as in the fougere's coumarin and lavender accord, nor the stagey acrimony of Angel, for instance. It straddles an uncomfortable, tangled territory between leaden and powdery.
05/04/2012
8 Review Awards
Waxed Leather ...
Since I plunged into the adventure that scent is last year I'd been searching for Habanita. More precisely the I was pursuing the fascination of the perfect leather scent after finding a suggestion to look into that note in the Perfumeposse 101 posting. I tried lots of things from there ...

An excursion to the local drugstore with a list of scents purportedly projecting leather proved rather disappointing. The first perfume with unmistakable "leather" I loved was (don't laugh!) Histoires de Parfum's "1740 Marquis de Sade". The people at the niche perfumery in the city were quite helpful, too, and gave me lots of "leather" scents to test, too, but none quite convinced me. PG03 was nice but a bit too powdery (probably due to the coconut note since it doesn't officially contain benzoin). Besides, after a faux pas I didn't dare show my face for a while: who'd have thought that the K was silent? They did sell niche, but Niche 10? I had to get to the gentleman's store across the street for Kniže Ten, and while that is indeed, as someone wrote, a very stark leather, it was too dry for my taste - it works very well on imitation leather shoes but I don't care too much for it on my skin.

After those disappointments I wasn't in the mood for further experiments and ordered a sampler from one of the decanters - you know, with cowgirls getting the blues and everything, ... I loved most of those, meanwhile have decants of Daim Blond and Cuir Beluga, am still saving for organizing a sharing of Chanel's Cuir de Russie, ... and ignored Habanita. That is the bitter truth - at first i found it a trifle too sweet and only after another profumo member (thanks Thess!) had gifted me with another sample of it I finally fell for the soft flowery notes with the musky base. What an experience! I had to have more ... for those interested in sources, I found my bottle from a German amaz*n seller. Yesterday I got the black-and-grey box with the gold embossing and ... oak moss!!! An original?

To me, the scent itself is, as I might have mentioned two or three times, one of the most beautiful leather perfumes I know. The absence from the notes doesn't belittle that effect in the least - after all it is a spanish leather with Flowers, Herbs, and animalic ingredients. The head is sweet and resinous with a hint of petitgrain orange, soon reluctant flowers, a bit of patchouli and vetiver make an apperance. I can only reliably detect the musk after about an hour, bringing out the full leather bloom together with the sandalwood and honey.

Longevity doesn't appear excessive to me but 3 to 5 hours doesn't appear bad for an Edt. What remains is a bittersweet resinous amber with honey/beeswax.

And I don't even wear leather.
Helpful Review - 04/26/2012
70%
5 Review Awards
Getting in touch with my wicked side
Molinard's Habanita was first designed as a fragrance to scent cigarettes. As an occasional smoker myself, I can certainly see how this fragrance could mesh well with the scent of smokey, stale tobacco smoke. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of cigarettes, especially on a man even though I know it's a dirty habit. Molinard's Habanita for this reason, is a little piece of heaven.

Habanita opened quite strongly on my skin with rich, shiny leather notes, sweet, powdery peach and nose-burning resins. It was like a more potent version of Bvlgari's Black at first, dark, rubbery and slightly masculine.

As it settled, the floral accords began to immerge, in a sweet, baby-powderish manner with subtle hints of smokey tobacco, leather and resins. Occasionally it smelt like red vintage lipstick, that odd cosmetic smell I come across in classic scents sometimes. I find this combination quite delicious and strangely sexual, in a sadistic and masochistic way.

Habanita is the scent of a strong, confident and powerful woman who does not mess around, she gets straight down to business. It almost blows my mind with how raunchy and wicked this fragrance is. I love wearing this because it's so different from what I usually reach for on a daily basis.

My man, although he was a little taken aback at first, adores this scent on me. He says it smells like I've just spent the day with some hot lesbian bikers in leather get-up, smoked a few too many cigarettes and came back to him smelling clean and powdery but dirty at the same time. His description is actually far more exact than my own.

All in all, as I've said, this is an extremely powerful fragrance and one that lasts a decade on the skin too. I highly recommend to everyone and anyone, and I think those that dismiss it are fools because it's a classic for reason, and a good reason at that. Thankyou Adrien02 for gifting me this beautiful fragrance.
Bassavina 558 days ago
My favorite capsule review read: Evil baby powder, leaving me to wonder which was evil, the baby or the powder. I teach, and once a little spilled in my purse, causing the students to remark, "ooh, what IS that nice baby powder smell?" Really!
Very helpful Review - 03/16/2012
70%
4 Review Awards
Everything You've Heard and Read Is True!
Everything you've heard and read about Molinard HABANITA is true: this really is a complex perfume! Now, whether or not one likes it, that's another matter, which clearly depends more on the skin of the wearer than the composition itself.

HABANITA opens bright, sweet, and fruity with a decidedly "going to be an oriental-vanilla fragrance" feeling. Wrong. One minute later, HABANITA begins to manifest a dark rubbery note which also has--as others have observed--a diesel oil cast. I would describe this as close to the smell of burnt tires, but not quite to the point of tar, a scent which I find often in myrrh-rich perfumes. Here it is the leather, apparently, which turns to dark rubber on my skin.

Just when I'm ready to dismiss HABANITA forever, however, a beautiful creamy woody oriental drydown appears! This stage is scrumptious, luscious and comfy, and the leather note has finally settled down to the point where vague memories of the opening begin to return. Except that the drydown exhibits the richness of wood and benzoin notes, which transform what might have been a mere fragrance into a perfume.

Conclusion: for about half of its relatively lengthy life, HABANITA is truly a pleasure to wear! But was it worth the wait, slogging through fields of old tires covered with diesel grease? About that, I am unclear.
Sherapop 658 days ago
Hello, Mujo! No, I have not tried the edp, but I am curious to see how it came out. The opening of the edt is pretty overwhelming, I agree... (-;
2 more Replies
Helpful Review - 01/30/2012
7 Review Awards
An Testament Of Elegance
Cigarette & Roses a bit of Wiskey and a
touch of Incense Bring this into an
Elegant Testament Which i find amusing
Picturing a smoke filled dark Cabaret;
A Male Impersonator ala Marlene Dietrich
Julie Andrews in Victor and Victoria
it's a sensuality to a Sexualy Repressed Convent School Educated girl Like
Madchen in Uniform like Senerio then
she sings
*Wenn ich mir was wunschen durft*.

at the end of the song she leans over
and slowly kisses the girl and this was a sexual Awaking for this Schoolgirl.

Picturing David Bowie in his
Berlin years Eleganly Dressed with a cigerette on his hand and a pint of wiskey on the other. in the Movie just a Gigolo. The darkly Oud i can dechphier
in this perfume like the deadly Sexuality of Rudolph Valentino and Pola Negri sizzling on the screen to a bewildered Movie Goers. Japanese Silent movie Star Sessue Hayakawa Seducing
the wife of a British Admiral.

The powdery rose brings you to mind
Opera of the Last Diva.
the Bottle is very Beautiful Greek
Nymphs Engraved in a Opaque Bottle
very ideal for home decoration when the bottle is empty Leather makes it Dangerous.

If you can find sex in a bottle this is it.

by JOE
by EvaK

Popular Perfumes by Molinard

Habanita by Molinard Habanita (Eau de Parfum) by Molinard Nirmala by Molinard Molinard by Molinard Habanita (1988) by Molinard Madrigal by Molinard Teck by Molinard Molinard Homme II by Molinard Patchouli Intense by Molinard Miss Habanita by Molinard Ambre by Molinard Vanille Patchouli by Molinard Molinard Homme III by Molinard Chypre d'Orient by Molinard Molinard Homme I by Molinard Vanille Marine by Molinard 160 by Molinard Tendre Friandise by Molinard » View all

Molinard

Website of Molinard

New by Molinard

La Collection Privée - Acqua Lotus by Molinard La Collection Privèe - Rose Émois by Molinard La Collection Privée - Ambré Lumière by Molinard La Collection Privée - Cher Wood by Molinard
Perfumes by Molinard