Acqua di Colonia - Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

Acqua di Colonia - Melograno

by Santa Maria Novella (1965)
63%
63 of 100%, 21 Ratings
Released in the year 1965, apparently still in production.

Top Notes: Bergamot, Orange, Cyclamen, Ylang-ylang, Rose, Pomegranate
Heart Notes: Orris root, Cedar, Vetiver, Fern, Oakmoss, Tobacco leaf, Hawthorn
Base Notes: Labdanum, Patchouli, Opoponax, Amber, Vanilla
63% (21 Ratings)
60% (12 Ratings)
65% (12 Ratings)
53% (8 Ratings)

This perfume was researched and submitted by Ripieno
11/09/2012
60%
1 Review Award
Melograno by Santa Maria Novella
Bergamot, Orange Cyclamen, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Pomegranate, Iris Root, Cedar, Vetiver, Fern, Moss, Tobacco, Hawthorn, Labdanum, Patchouli, Opoponax, Amber, Vanilla.

One thing I can say for certain, regarding this house, is that they make for some strong Eau de Colognes. Their offerings in this format retain more strength and presence than most Eau de Toilettes I sample. That's a terrific quality if the scent is enjoyable and understandably not so good if the fragrance doesn't float your boat. Melograno by S.M.N has me caught in the middle. I don't like it in the conventional sense, but I can't dismiss it either. It's strangely captivating, but it's not necessarily in my wheelhouse for regular wearing.

I'll begin by stating I experience no pomegranate as I know it. Truthfully, I care not about that as I don't believe a more "evident" rendition would make me love this fragrance. Melograno is Old School done very well, yet as much as I love some classics, this seems to be missing that certain something that makes me get off the fence. I also find the opening and heart much more masculine than expected. The base and drydown afford a more "shared" feel once they commence, but the totality of Melograno ( to me ) is geared more for men.

Melograno reminds me of a scent I would opt to wear in the cool, fall weather. It possesses citrus, florals and earth tones jockeying for position during its opening and heart accord. In actuality, this fragrance is a good representation of what's listed in the accords as undertones of wood, green and the suggestion of tobacco are all represented as Melograno heads into the base and drydown.

This potpourri of aroma dissipates just enough after 30 minutes to permit the entrance of a soft, oriental finish. Even after this has been on my skin for over 30 minutes, I still feel this is a masculine scent. I still cannot love this, but I suppose respect is as good as it's going to get.

Sillage is good with longevity being impressive for an EDC. This is easily detected 6 hours later. Neutral rating from Aromi for Santa Maria Novella's Melograno. A sample wear is highly recommended as I find this leans very retro in its own way.
Helpful Review - 05/27/2012
80%
A Glorious Green Chypre
What a surprise: Santa Maria Novella MELOGRANO is a glorious green chypre! The green is so intense as to be almost galbanum-like. The oakmoss is also quite detectable. Despite the name, what is not readily evident is the pomegranate. I've spent some time with my nose to my wrist attempting to find the pomegranate, but my commitment to truth in reviewing obliges me to confess that I cannot tease out any pomegranate from the intense chypre elements of this perfume.

Maybe I could imagine pomegranate as detectable here, if I really, really tried, but I would never, ever, have guessed that it was present in a mystery scent vial trial. No, this is unequivocally a green chypre! It may as well be called grapefruit or banana or cherry or melon--all would be every bit as appropriate as pomegranate, it seems.

But enough about the name. This smells great! I definitely recommend MELOGRANO for testing by anyone who loves classic chypres. People who are looking for an intensely red-pomegranate-stained perfume may, on the other hand, be disappointed.

Acqua di Colonia - Melograno by Santa Maria Novella
by Tar

Popular Perfumes by Santa Maria Novella

Acqua di Colonia - Melograno by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Santa Maria Novella by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Porcellana by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Angels of Florence by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Opoponax by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Città di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Acqua di Sicilia by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Vetiver by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Russa by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Rosa by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Iris by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Ginestra by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia - Ambra by Santa Maria Novella » View all

Santa Maria Novella

Website of Santa Maria Novella

Perfumes by Santa Maria Novella

Users who like
Acqua di Colonia - Melograno often also like:

Black Afgano by Gris clair... by Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Ma Griffe by Tuscan Leather by Series 3 Incense: Avignon by

Password