Arabie by Serge Lutens
Where to buy?
Arabie (Serge Lutens)
Arabie is a perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Balsamic resins, Benzoin, Date, Dried fig, Clove, Candied tangerine zest, Cumin, Labdanum, Nutmeg, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Tonka bean, Cedar, Cistus

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.12.2016

Longevity 8.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
Very helpful Review    5 Awards
Arabie
“Arabie” is the first perfume I've sampled from the renowned house of Serge Lutens. Having read numerous reviews of his fragrances, ranging from the words of high praise, to the comments insisting that while the fragrances are unquestionably unique, they're practically unwearable, down to the utterly negative reviews, I became quite curious about what effect Lutens' creations would have on me.

As the name suggests, “Arabie” is supposedly a bottled replica of the aroma exuded by an Arab market (or a Moroccan market, with which Serge Lutens must have some “nose-on” experience). I've never been to an Arab market but should “Arabie” capture its olfactory atmosphere even semi-accurately, visiting a place like this goes straight onto my bucket list. From the very beginning, “Arabie” announces its presence on my wrist intensely, first with spices, the most dominant of which is cumin. The cumin is joined by nutmeg and cloves. Also, in the background, the dried fruits start to emerge and gradually reduce the spiciness and add a dash of sweetness to the composition. The sweetness in the heart and the base is further sustained by the date.

My final verdict: “Arabie” is an adorable scent. I especially like the fact that it lives up to its name and proves that even in today's perfume industry there are still individuals bold enough to translate their visions and dreams into fragrances without being too concerned about the criticism they may attract. “Arabie” is a rather challenging perfume as it preserves its dense, spicy-sweet aroma throughout its development. Yet at the same time, I see it as a very promising introduction to the Serge Lutens line and, oh boy, now I can hardly wait to try some more!
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 10.0/10
Helpful Review    4 Awards
Fruits, spice... and everything nice.
This is a fragrance with a personality! I really love how the fragrances of Serge Lutens manage to challenge me constantly. To me that is a sign of a very good fragrance you don't want a fragrance which is too predictable or similar to the same trends time and time again. Instead, here I find a fragrance which challenges my nose and which gets me interested.

What I love about Arabie is that Lutens and Sheldrake have thrown away the rule book here. Instead of having a top, middle and base, you get the whole weight of the fragrance in one spray. As soon as you spray you get the spices, the stewed fruit, the amber and resins and myrrh. It's an explosion of colour and spice all at once.

To me it smells very festive, like Christmas in fact. This is like rich heavy desserts of spiced fruits and rum and deep, rich flavours.

Some people say this smells like cooking. If that is true, then to me this represents more of desserts and dried fruits, or the process of making them. Cloves, cinnamon, plumbs, apricots & raisins. All these I get out of this fragrance. Very Moroccan! All these ingredients are found in Moroccan and Arab North African cuisine.

The ironic thing is that this fragrance is named Arabie, which means "Arabia". Now to me, anything "Arabian" (when applied to fragrances) means Oud, or Agarwood. Here, Sheldrake has interpreted all of these "oriental" notes through fruits and spices (and not with Oud). So I find it original and creative, and I really admire this fragrance.

Personally, I think to wear this one you have to be confidant in yourself, because people will notice that you smell "different". Basically you will smell like a walking, spicy fruitcake. But in a subtle way, because I want to stress that there is nothing too loud about this fragrance. People will smell you but it's not a beast.

Overall, I would advise people to wear this in cooler weather, and especially around Christmas. If anything, to me Arabie is the perfect Christmas fragrance. You could wear it all year round, but you need the confidence and personality for it, as you will be noticed, and in a good way too. Very original and creative effort by Lutens and Sheldrake with this one. Good stuff!
1 Award
Nice gourmand dries down not-so-nicely
Arabie certainly has clove in it, but the clove doesn’t overpower the rest of the notes, although very noticeable. In a small way, it reminds me of L’Artisan’s Piment Brulant, but only because they both share a clove note. Arabie is definitely gourmand, while PB is more like a vegetable garden, raw and uncooked. Also, Arabie is definitely sweeter than PB because PB isn’t sweet at all. I suspect most people will either love it or hate it. It seems to drown itself, during drydown, in a watery base, as I suspect is typical with most Serge Lutens scents. Overall, during drydown, any pleasant smell is gone. I can certainly live without Arabie.
Scent 8.0/10
Helpful Review    1 Award
Difficult to understand this fragrance
Dried or old fruits? Maybe.

Hard to use? Yes.

Unique smell? Indeed.

Arabie must be worn for several times in order to be understood.

I did hate the first times, and now i do recognize a unique and wonderful smell on this.

Lots of dried fruits, cloves and nutmeg all over a resin base that makes this fragrance really complex and challenging.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium.

Updated January 2014
jtd
sweetie, darling
Arabie makes me understand the attraction of the dessert or gourmand fragrance, a category that otherwise doesn’t captivate me. Granted, Arabie is spared from the gourmand category by its emphasis on woods, but it is also sweeter than many gourmands, so the distinction seems weak.

Yes, Arabie is over the top: too much spice, way too sweet, too many dried fruits macerated in syrup. All true. But isn’t it lovely? Applied with a moderate hand it is my favorite sweet fragrance. I can’t say that there is any particular element that actually balances the sweetness, but the benzoin twists the sweetness a bit and makes it appealing.
Super intense spiciness
I adore this fragrance, although it did take some getting used to. Arabie is one of those deliciously strong and potent spicy orientals that you can't stop admiring. It's also borderline gourmand, having a fascinating syrupy accord that really adds to its appeal.

At first, Arabie reminds me of clove cigarettes. A little smokey, aromatic and strong. I was intrigued by the top notes even though they burnt my nose hairs. The dense spices really enveloped me in something I can only describe as being a guilty pleasure.

In time, Arabie takes on an interesting sweetness, somewhat like the scent of golden syrup and dried fruits. Perhaps a little boozy at times too. It reminds me a little of Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche, just a less incensey version. The more I smell Arabie, the more complex the composition. There are so many notes to discover.

The scent is mostly deep, rich and heavy on the spices, although occasionally the boozy woods take over. The longevity and sillage are great, definite quality, there's no doubt about it. It's quite an addictive olfactory experience, one that I'm glad I took a chance with.

Arabie, for me personally, is something I enjoy but would probably never wear. You have to be the right person for this fragrance to really shine.
Sky
Helpful Review    2 Awards
A spritz of Christmas chutney shouldn't smell so good
I am not a big fan of cumin notes in scents....or rather I am not a fan of BIG cumin notes in scents. Kingdom was just too troublesome & stomach-churning for my tastes. Luckily, Arabie is not a cumin-criminal on my skin...just a pseudo-exotic, candied fruit & spice-bomb with good bone structure & a sweet tooth.

Scent-pictures float by: apricots in brandy, orange peel & spices warmed gently before the wine is added for mulling, aged balsamic vinegar, pot-pourri, opening the lid of my spice box (complete with rogue, ancient, crystallised raisins....when will I remember to use them?!), wardrobe-wood (that peculular peppery/dusty old wood scent with a touch of mouse), my sweet Christmas fig chutney...I reckon that Arabie would taste delicious with a nice blue cheese!

Arabie's fume family is easy to trace: Aziyade tucking into a tub of candied fruits & peel, Kenzo Elephant clinging to my scarf & tinkering with the fruiter edge of XS Extreme girl. On my skin it is fruits & spice & all things nice dolloped on in bucket loads (Arabie is not shy).

I like bold & spicy fragrances, so I enjoyed the big personality & fierce opener that greeted me. My old RE teacher wore something like this - big & bosomy, loud & dramatic with crimson lips & jet black hair, a huge smile or a snarl always accompanying her sharp wit.

Arabie has strength & will last all day, bowing out with a sweet amber sigh. Maybe that's what grates: the sugar content. I think I need a diabetic version! Keep the spice, remove the cumin & chuck in some more parched & resinous woods to even out all the dried dates & treacly jam.

All-in-all a strong like from me....but I can't help thinking that Lutens went easy on his magic faery-dust here.
Scent 3.0/10
Cumin Fruitcake, Anyone?
"This smells familiar" was the first phrase out of my mouth upon applying Serge Lutens ARABIE. Then it only remained to determine what, precisely, I was reminded of by this intoxicating—or is it suffocating?—perfume. With the help of many able reviewers at various locales across the world wide web, I have deduced that ARABIE approximates a collision of my grandmother's brandy-soaked dark fruitcake (not the wimpy light kind, but the one that is black as night, filled with raisins and dates and pecans and candied maraschino cherries and citrus rind, and so drenched in brandy that you could actually catch a buzz from eating a slice) and morrocan couscous with a very strong curry piled up on top. Or perhaps my grandmother, her sight failing as she grew older, reached for the cumin instead of the cinnamon as she prepared her cake?

What an odd assortment of rich and dark notes! But is it perfume? I think that, in the end, the combination of the dark, boozy fruits and the cumin-rich curry just puts me over the top. Similar to the way I'd feel if I feasted on a huge curry dinner and then my host insisted that I eat a fat slab of fruitcake before permitting me to leave. As the flavors mingle in my aching stomach, I begin to feel like a pot of chutney simmering on the stove, thick gurgling bubbles fighting their way slowly to the surface before popping. My speech begins to slur. My head is spinning, and it seems that I might actually hurl. There is simply too much going on in this kaleidoscopic culinary composition. In a word: No. De trop!

If ever there were a "try before you buy", ARABIE would be that. Does cumin mingle well with your skin? Spritz on this powerful potion and observe your friends' behavior. Do they appear to be sitting farther away from you than usual?
Longevity 10.0/10
Helpful Review    4 Awards
What a long, strange trip it's been
This is one amazing whirlwind of a scent. There are so many aromas swirling in this perfume. Sweet stewed fruits, rich resins, warm spices and something that somehow evokes the image of a wild nocturnal animal in a dark forest. I imagine that what I am picking up is reminiscent of the natural animal notes used in classic perfumery – things like ambergris, civet and natural musk. I've always wondered what the term animalic meant, and I really think I get a hint of that quality in this perfume – it somehow smells alive.

This scent is dark and exotic and truly one of the most uniquely complex creations I've ever smelled. It also has this intriguing quality in that, when sprayed on my wrist, it smells different in the center (where I imagine the spray hits the heaviest) than on the sides of my wrist where the scent is not just fainter but of a different character. The “edge” of the scent is somehow more ethereal than the dense center - with a powdery sweetness and a hint of something vaguely like calamine lotion or coca cola.

Fascinating though it is, I'm not sure it is something I could wear - it seems a bit too masculine for me. I can see this being intoxicating on a man.