Bois de violette

(1992)
Bois de violette by Serge Lutens
Bois de violette (Serge Lutens)
Bois de violette (Serge Lutens)
7.9 / 10     49 Ratings
Bois de violette is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 1992. The scent is woody-flowery. It is still in production.

Blossoms, Violet leaf, Cedarwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.12.2015

07/20/2015
Scent 7.0
1 Award
Passable Beauty
The name means wood of violet, I imagine. First sniff is an almost candied violet with a sharp wood note. Our database says blossoms, violet leaf, cedarwood. The initial sweetness and sharpness die down quickly and we’re left with a subdued loveliness of the listed notes. Though beautiful, it’s not for me. Too sedate.
03/04/2015
Bottle 7.5
Sillage 2.5
Longevity 2.5
Scent 7.0
1 Award
Innocent and Girly
This scent is pretty linear. The Cedar and Violet leaf are dominant throughout with a touch of powder from the violet flower. The sillage is low and the scent is rather short lived. It is very beautiful while it lasts though.

This one makes me think of sundresses with little floral patterns. All dainty and girly. This is also a very comforting scent for me, which is why I've considered buying it despite it's short longevity.

May
2014
09/19/2012
Sillage 7.5
Longevity 7.5
Scent 8.0
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Cedar and Violet at a concentration I can detect
Now here's a cedar-violet composition from le Grand Serge for me. When I donned FEMINITE DU BOIS earlier today, I seriously worried that I might be suffering an "anosmic moment". I literally could smell NOTHING for a couple of minutes. BOIS DE VIOLETTE has solved that problem by basically tripling the violets and doubling the cedar to produce a gorgeous creation obviously intended precisely for me, the world's biggest violet 'ho' (big in passion, not in size).

There is some real depth to this deceptively simple combination of notes. Ironically, the first Serge Lutens perfume to go into the "must buy" category of my wish list is also the one that costs 50% more than the others. Why? I ask most sincerely. Violets? Cedar? What's the special ingredient which justifies the "special" price? I wonder.

Well, let's not get bogged down in ignoble mundanities. This perfume is beautiful--that's the bottom line.
07/25/2012
jtd
Helpful Review    4 Awards
less booze, more crystal
The first time I tried Bois de Violette I kicked myself for having bought Feminité du Bois a few months earlier. You know that shitty feeling of having bought the good, and then finding the better? I quickly came to the conclusion, though, that I prefer Feminité for most purposes and would choose it over BdV if I were to have just one. BdV brings into relief a feeling about Feminité that I could never quite get my nose around. Feminité’s boozyish combination of fruit, wood and flower expresses itself with a dried-fruit resinousness that I find nowhere except in the SL Feminité and Bois perfumes. Without using any of the classic perfume resins/oils (benzoin, olibanum, myrrh, spikenard, peru balsam, cistus labdanum) Feminité synthesizes a flower/fruit/wood that has the same stickiness and chewy quality that we associate with botanical resins.

Bois de Violette, while gorgeous, removes the stickiness of Feminité in order to focus on the highs of the added violet. The result is that it speaks in a higher, perhaps prettier register, but loses some of the implicit harmony of Feminité’s middle register.

The Feminité / BdV dilemma fleshes out an understanding that I’ve been coming to. I’ve always preferred the range of the viola to that of the violin. In the small bit that I’ve experienced of opera, I’m instantly drawn to the mezzo soprano rather than the soprano. The majority are drawn to the most prominent, the one that shines the brightest, the highest in the hierarchy. But just listen to a recording of Marilyn Horne singing Rossini and you’ll understand why I’ve come to prefer Feminité du Bois to Bois de Violette.

Popular Perfumes by Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Gris clair... by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Datura noir by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Louve by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens