Jasmin Rouge

(2011)
Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford
Where to buy?
Jasmin Rouge is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is flowery-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Cardamom, Mandarin, Black pepper, White pepper, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBroom, Jasmine, Clary sage, Neroli, Ylang-ylang

Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 5.0/10
3 Awards
Gorgeous Swoon Worthy Bottle with a Repeated Message Inside
This is all about the packaging for me. The bottle is the star of the TF upper tier collection. More brilliant than the cool turquoise of Neroli Portofino, this high quality red glass would look simply divine on my dresser. I won't lie, I've been itching to justify a TF in my collection, for over ayear. I need more time...especially at this price point...I want to get it right. That would mean that I am as head-over-heels about the contents as the bottle itself. That is NOT the case with Jasmine Rouge. I find Jasmine is undeniable, I can't hate it even if I tried. It is the perfect flower of seduction, beauty and I feel their are so many interpretations of jasmine- there is a Jasmine for every season, every mood and the gamut runs from Etat Libre d’Orange's "Jasmin and Cigarette" to the iconic "Carnal Flower" by Frederic Malle to Serge Luten's "Á La Nuit" and all the way across town to my drugstore bought beloved Healing Gardens "Sensual therapy Jasmine" which is perfect refrigerated in the muggy summer heat, FYI. But I must say, after all the pomp and circumstance displayed by the sales associate to even let me pick up this bottle and the momentary pause he gave before allowing me to even sample this one...I was expecting something special. Jasmin Rouge is a beautiful pure Jasmin, with moderate sillage of about 1 meter , but so incredibly linear! Ugh. I was left with a hollow sense of deep inner sadness and questioning...is this all there is in the universe, Mon Dieux?! Perhaps, that's a little melodramatic, but I was definitely underwhelmed. Jasmin Rouge can't hold a candle to "Carnal Flower" or even to the little bottles of pure jasmine oil concentrate available for sale on the beaches of Barbados for a couple of USD to all tourists during Spring break. It was just a mirage wrapped in a very pretty package. Quel dommage.
jtd
3 Awards
JA$$MINE !
The jasmine has probably received the solifor treatment more than any flower in perfumery save the rose. There are plenty of types available and at the full range of price points. Serge Lutens‘s solifloriental A la Nuit and leather solifor Sarrasins. Badgely Mischka’s fruity soliflor Fleurs de Nuit. Mugler’s chemo-soliflor Alien. Etat Libre’s woody soliflor Jasmin et Cigarette. Green, indolic, sweet, doughy, sweaty, pretty, naughty? There is such a wide range of tones that by highlighting or downplaying specific notes, a perfume may take any number of turns. That said, jasmine solifores tend generally tend toward the crass.

Jasmine Rouge is not more tactless than, say, A la Nuit, which is my favorite jasmine soliflor, largely for its hearty embrace of crassness. Jasmine Rouge has an effusive opening, with a kaleidoscopic cycle jumping around from green to sweet to tart-indolic to spicy-floral at any given moment. It even has a bit of the yeastiness that jasmines and tuberoses sometimes have. It’s not unattractive by any means, but jasmine topnotes seldom are. Others have noted that it falls apart by the basenotes, and I disagree. It does become less distinctive over time, and a bland sweetness smothers the other topnotes, but it manages to keep a sketch of its overall shape.

Would you pay $250-500 for a a beautiful perfume that you love? Tough question. Would you pay it for a tolerable one?

Counterintuitively, distinctiveness is a risk in a luxury design product. Recognizability has as much greater value, and is typically found sitting in the middle of the road. Jasmine Rouge winds up feeling more like a place holder in a perfume line than than a perfume that someone had a great desire to make. It captures an inherent obstacle to launching a line rather than releasing a perfume. How inspired will a perfume be if its goal it to fit a category and fill a slot? It’s a question that comes up with each perfume in the Tom Ford Private Blend line.

from scenthurdle.com
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
7 Awards
Alien wannabe ...
Every now and then I dutifully trot up to the Tom Ford concession at a local high end department store and I gaze at the wares on offer, almost willing them to shout "BUY ME"!! As of yet, very few fragrances by this house have entranced me enough to spend the ludicrous asking price on them.

Jasmin Rouge, however, is one that may possibly make it to my collection. I will more than likely talk myself out of it a few times still :) ... because this fragrance is an Alien 'wannabe' to my nose, and I'd rather spend the money on a bottle of Essence Absolu at the moment ... teehee.
JR is very similar (and costs nearly double in this country) to the Mugler ... with approximately similar sillage but less longevity. "Why then own it?" you would ask. Well ... it does have it's merits.
Firstly, Jasmin Rouge is a very smooth ride. A sparkly opening of spices leads quickly to a very lush and creamy Jasmine note displaying a very muted indole ... enticing! It's a lot gentler than the almost mind shattering effect of Alien (which I happen to enjoy) with the similarity between the two resting squarely on the shoulders of Cashmeran ... an aroma chemical which both fragrances contain. My nose tells me there is absolutely no doubt of this ... here it is called 'woods' ... House Mugler is more up front about it and simply calls it what it is :).
The deep dry down here (at about 5 hours) is a very nice Van/Amber but stays rather close to the skin. A solid application under clothes would probably amp it up a bit.

I do like Jasmin Rouge quite a lot ... it's smoother and more elegant than Essence Absolu and would definitely serve a purpose in the right situation. I'm just not sure that it wouldn't always play second fiddle to my beloved Alien ... time will tell :).

Lexa 5 days ago
Jasmine embraced by sun.Such a luminous interpretation,without any evolution but very feminine and so joyfull.+2