Search Forum

EU Allergen Legislation: Please Read!

1 - 25 by 125
EU Allergen Legislation: Please Read! 10 years ago
Dear Friends,

We are currently finalizing the petition opposing the allergen legislation that is pending in the European Union. Below is a link, for those of you who may be interested in reading and signing the document. Please bear in mind that we are still tweaking the text, so what you are seeing may change slightly before it is submitted to the appropriate committee in Brussels. Thanks for your attention and time!

www.parfumo.com/petition/index.html

Edited: Reposting the text of the Feature Article here for background on the issues...

As some of you know, perfumery is currently at a critical juncture, and we need your help in order to assure that the hobby we all love is not slowly destroyed by well-meaning but misguided legislation.

The problem began in 2009, when the European Union enacted a law requiring that 26 different materials used in perfume-making be labelled on the packaging and outright prohibiting the use of several other substances. Worse yet, the IFRA (International Fragrance Association) recommended that the concentration of a number of citrus oils commonly used in fragranced products be reduced on the ground that they caused skin photosensitivity and irritation. Both the EU legislation and the IFRA guidelines have since been incorporated into the vast majority of today's perfumes and as a result, many gorgeous fragrances had to be reformulated to their severe detriment, while others were discontinued completely.
Aside from a few brave individuals, not much opposition was voiced when the 2009 legislation was pending. Currently, a measure is on the table in Brussels that has the potential to inflict even more damage on the perfume industry than the previous law. Furthermore, the new act represents an alarming trend of continued and harsher regulation where it was previously hoped that the 2009 restrictions would be the end of the inquiry. However, we hope that widespread opposition by the Parfumo community and other fragrance lovers will dictate a better outcome for perfumery in 2014 and stem the tide of overly-stringent regulation.

At the moment, the EU is considering a complete ban of Chloroatranol and Atranol. These chemicals are essential components of oakmoss and tree moss, and without them, chypres and fougères may all but disappear. Moreover, oakmoss can be found in the base notes of perfumes of every type because it is an excellent fixative which dramatically extends the longevity of a fragrance. Lyral® is also on the chopping block, and though you may not automatically recognize the name, this material is integral to the formula of many popular perfumes. "Poison" and its flankers, "Coco" and "Aventus" are just a few of the fragrances that would have to be completely re-worked if the pending law is enacted.

When the legislation was announced, some of us here at Parfumo were understandably confused and upset. How is it that adults can't be trusted to make their own informed decisions about the relatively small risk of a skin rash, we wondered. Surely a warning label would be sufficient to alert perfume users to a potential allergy. Thus, a movement was started and a petition was born. We soon learned that the Commission tasked with evaluating public sentiment regarding the law was actively soliciting contributions to the debate, and research began in earnest. The result of our effort is contained in a document that is part of the petition, entitled, "Contribution to the Public Consultation of the Commission."

Although this legislation is pending in Europe, it will have an impact on perfume the world over if it is passed. If history is any indication, the IFRA is sure to embrace the law and perfume houses will be forced to adopt the new guidelines, resulting in massive reformulations and discontinuations. Not if we have our way, however. Please join us in opposing the legislation by signing the petition. You need not be a resident of a European Union country in order to sign the document or be a part of this fight. We're also asking your help to spread the word, so please don't hesitate to share the link and tell your fragrant friends, as well as any person who might be sympathetic to the preservation of a cultural asset and consumer freedom of choice. Along those lines, your tweets and Facebook shares would be greatly appreciated.
Long live perfume!
Last edited by Cryptic on 10.04.2014, 20:54; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Great work! I think we owe respect to each of the team which has realized this project.
Smile
AVE! "Defenders of beauty"
10 years ago
Blagodarya for the excellent slogan!
10 years ago
lol, who's behind that awesome Mona Lisa banner? Good job & good luck!
10 years ago
Lol, see Mia's reply below. I'm clueless. Smile
Last edited by Cryptic on 10.04.2014, 13:15; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
I am proud of you all. ((((Hugs))))
10 years ago
Sleuth:
lol, who's behind that awesome Mona Lisa banner? Good job & good luck!

Thank you Sleuth. Apicius came up with the fabulous banner. Very Happy
10 years ago
Thank you, Cincy. xoxo Cryptic and the other German peeps from the working group have all done a fabulous job.
Long live perfume!
Last edited by MiaTrost on 11.04.2014, 13:30; edited 3 times in total
10 years ago
:* @ Cincy and Mia. Very Happy I wish I could be in Germany for the party I assume you guys are throwing.
10 years ago
I'm on the fence still.., but the petition is very convincing.
Last edited by Sleuth on 10.04.2014, 18:32; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
How may we persuade you?
10 years ago
As much as the F-site censoring Parfumo is ridiculous and frustrating, I'm sure tonnes more signatures could be registered if this was shared on both F and Basenotes as well. (Assuming it isn't already... my time on F has tapered off to almost nothing.)
10 years ago
Actually, they were extremely gracious over at Fragrantica when it came to allowing me to link a model protest letter to the EU committee. I can certainly ask about posting a link. Excellent idea, MRoth, thank you.
10 years ago
Signed!
10 years ago
Bravo! We appreciate every single signature.
10 years ago
Great! Let's show these self-proclaimed "saviours" that for some of us, the only Fahrenheit ever to be tolerated is the (vintage) one coming from Dior, not Ray Bradbury...
10 years ago
It looks like a mod at Basenotes has just closed the thread about the petition.

www.basenotes.net/threads/378619-Petition-to-o ppose-the-ban-of-oakmoss

???

The last thing I had heard of was that Grant was going to support the petition.

Can somebody clarify this please?
10 years ago
Hmmm... that's unfortunate. My understanding is that some of the moderators at BN can be a bit arbitrary and capricious. Everyone speaks well of Grant, however. Perhaps if the matter is brought to his attention he'll intervene and reopen the thread? I'm not certain how "hands-on" he is, so that may be wishful thinking.
10 years ago
Cryptic:
Hmmm... that's unfortunate. My understanding is that some of the moderators at BN can be a bit arbitrary and capricious. Everyone speaks well of Grant, however. Perhaps if the matter is brought to his attention he'll intervene and reopen the thread? I'm not certain how "hands-on" he is, so that may be wishful thinking.

Well, let's see. I hope it will be reopened.
10 years ago
Thanks to everyone who has dedicated so much time and energy to this project. I hope your efforts create an overwhelming show of force that lawmakers and design/perfume houses cannot ignore. Thank you! Very Happy
10 years ago
Grey, as someone who worked very hard on this issue before it was even cool, you get a gold star. Smile
10 years ago
Signed today.

On which other channels could this be advertised and more signatures obtained??

There is also an effort on Facebook -

www.facebook.com/defenseparfumerietraditionnel le
10 years ago
Thanks so much for signing, Pipette.
10 years ago
Cryptic:
Grey, as someone who worked very hard on this issue before it was even cool, you get a gold star. Smilewww.ispreview.co.uk/articles/10_Best_UK_Broadb and_ISPs/gold_star_small.jpg

Yeah, but it was y'all who did the heavy lifting required to create a platform with the potential of putting the brakes on further regulation. Dare we hope for a rollback of previous restrictions?

I'm glad everyone pooled their creative and intellectual resources to see this through.

You get a bling star Cool

10 years ago
Apicius:
Cryptic:

Well, let's see. I hope it will be reopened.

Indeed. You would think that this is a topic everyone could agree on!

I'll politely spread the petition on as many Facebook perfume groups as I can. Is there a short, concise description you would like me to add in front of the link, Greysolon?
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EU Allergen Legislation: Please Read!
1 - 25 by 125
Jump to