Search Forum

Leather chypres

1 - 25 by 39
Leather chypres 12 years ago 1
I thought it might be interesting to have a list of leather chypres, no matter if masculine of feminine, classic or modern. I shall start with

"Bandit"
"Miss Balmain"
"Bel Ami" (well, chypre?)
"Arsène Lupin"
"Chamade Homme" (not much leather though)
"Équpage" (not heavy on leather either)
2nd question - maybe worth another thread?
I've just been sniffing "Bandit" on one wrist and "Miss Balmain" on the other and found them to have lots of similarities. Then looked them up and found that the nose was Cellier in both. To me, Bandit has a strange capsicum note in the beginning (first half an hour or so), which I do not particularly like, and seems rougher and more masculine, while Miss Balmain starts out slightly softer, sweeter, more powdery. After one or two hours I find Bandit a bit smoother and more "pleasing", strange thing. Would be interesting to have your opinion on these two.
12 years ago
"Phileas" by Ricci
"Yatagan" by Caron
"Havana" by Aramis
"Antaeus" by Chanel
"Macassar" by Rochas
"Punjab" by Capucci
.....Just to name a few......
12 years ago 1
"Azuree" by Estee Lauder is, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful leather chypre I have smelled so far. A real stunner !

"Cabochard" by Grès is a leather chypre as well but a pretty bitter one (at least on my skin).
12 years ago
Oh yes, Cabochard! And since at least to my nose it is pretty much akin to Chanel's "No. 19", maybe that's a leather chypre as well?
12 years ago
Hm, I got the EdP of "No. 19". They say it used to be a leather chypre. I don't really get leather in this version. A chypre maybe. Although it seems to have replaced some of the moss by vetiver. It has a very vetivery drydown to my nose. Which I like.
12 years ago
I like it, too, and I must admit I don't really get any leather, either Embarassed
What about "Donna White" by Trussardi? I passed it on recently so I can't check, but I remember a leathery base note, and it's definitely a chypre.
12 years ago
Let's not forget Tabac Blond! Its chypré character is still clearly identifiable, although this is not its main thrill for me.
12 years ago 1
May I suggest some rather masculine one´s?

Here we go!
"Aramis"
"Yatagan"
"Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme"
"Trussardi Uomo" (vintage, the new one is hideous)
"Antaeus"

But as Luca Turin mentioned (and I wholeheartedly agree): "Bandit" is still several unlit streets ahead of every other leather chypre around" (along with "Azurée" IMO)
12 years ago
MNQ:
How about Helmut Langs "Cuiron" i know there's leather notes but would you consider it to be a chypre also? Still learning Confused

Yes, most definitely! But you can also call it a "Woody Chypre" like Fragrantica does:

www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Helmut-Lang/Cuiron -pour-Homme-4195.html
12 years ago
"scent 79"

a find this a leather chypre also "kelly caleche"

"bandit"

"miss balmain"
12 years ago
Stating the obvious - Chanel's "Cuir de Russie"? Guerlain's "Cuir Beluga" and "Cuir Mauresque" by Serge Lutens might be a bit too much on the sweet side for a Chyprée, but Dior's "Diorling" and "Dzing!" by L'Artisan Parfumeur might pass. (And I confess I'm shamelessly quoting the better part of a perfumed court sampler I'm particularly pleased with, trying to cross-reference the contents with the H&R poster)
12 years ago
I recently tested Parfumerie Générale "Corps et Ames", which reminded me a lot of Estée Lauder Azurée...

So does it belong in this category by transitivity?
Laughing
12 years ago
what to think of "Habanita"
12 years ago
well i think the opening is harsh but in a hour it turns more softer
and you can detect Incense and a wif of Tobacco The Leather IMHO
Is very Understated in Habanita
12 years ago
Habanita in extrait concentration!
12 years ago
niki de st phalle. lovely leather, mossy, herbal drydown.
12 years ago 1
And nobody mentioned "Derby" so far? Confused
12 years ago
aoe:
Stating the obvious - Chanel's "Cuir de Russie"? Guerlain's "Cuir Beluga" and "Cuir Mauresque" by Serge Lutens might be a bit too much on the sweet side for a Chyprée, but Dior's "Diorling" and "Dzing!" by L'Artisan Parfumeur might pass. (And I confess I'm shamelessly quoting the better part of a perfumed court sampler I'm particularly pleased with, trying to cross-reference the contents with the H&R poster)

Cuir Beluga is very far from being a chypre. I wouldn't even call it a leather at all. A vanilla with some hints of heliotrop and maybe a tiny bit of leather.
12 years ago
"scent 79"

a find this a leather chypre also "kelly caleche"

"bandit"

"miss balmain:f19298ed30]

kelly calèche is sure a leather, but not a chypre at all. no moss, no patchouly, nada, niente.
12 years ago
what about "3e homme"? more tobacco than leather maybe.
12 years ago
A few floral leathers that I love are P & G Cuir d'Iris, Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, Etro Gomma and Lancome Cuir. They might not be true chypres, but they're not far off base.
12 years ago
jtd:
A few floral leathers that I love are P & G Cuir d'Iris, Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, Etro Gomma and Lancome Cuir. They might not be true chypres, but they're not far off base.

I'm curious: does Etro "Gomma" not smell like gomma? Maybe I should give it a sniff after all... Confused:

Cool
Notify about new comments
1 - 25 by 39
Jump to