Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)Eau de Cologne

Echt Kölnisch Wasser (Eau de Cologne) by 4711
Bottle Design Peter Heinrich Molanus

Echt Kölnisch Wasser (Eau de Cologne) is a perfume by 4711 for women and men and was released in 1792. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Mäurer & Wirtz.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesNeroli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.04.2020.

"Original Eau de Cologne" goes back to a special mixture, the 1709 "Aqua Mirabilis”. Johann Maria Farina, an Italian immigrant to Cologne stood behind the original recipe. Soon there were other "Eau de Colognes", that used the name "Farina” and Farina had to fight against plagiarism. With Georg Mühlens, who issued one of these 1792, there was a long-running dispute. Eventually the product´s name was changed in "4711 - Eau de Cologne". Until today, both companies produce their fragrances. "Farina Gegenüber" states to use the old original recipe from over 300 years ago.

When Napoleon had occupied Cologne, he enumerated all the houses. The house in the Street "Glockengasse", where Georg Mühlens resided in, got the number 4711. Still today on some gift packs, there is the drawing of a uniformed cavalier, writing the number on the wall with chalk. The bell ("Glockengasse" means "alley of bells") is still shown in the logo.

9.0/10 Scent 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Bottle

Great-grandmother of all EdC... My grandma loved it
An ancient classic in the field of Eau de Cologne. Not only for refreshment. I (born 1964) can still remember some things from my childhood. Quite a few, mostly older, ladies used 4711 Original Eau de Cologne, in summer for refreshment or even for headaches. They then generously put eau de cologne on a handkerchief and then rubbed the handkerchief several times over their forehead. Apparently it helped. About the fragrance itself: Strong at first, but pleasant with a hint of lemon. Light green notes are noticeable. In the course of time, the rosemary makes it a bit spicier. Lavender is added, but more to round off the fragrance. The scent is and remains very pleasant until the end. My conclusion: An original with a high recognition value. There are already numerous Eau de Cologne on the market. Some may subjectively be as good or even better, quite possible. A matter of taste. However, this EdC has additional, special characteristics, e.g. it also creates a certain feeling of well-being, you can rub yourself with it almost everywhere. It smells very pleasant and refreshing, especially in summer, very good. Some people still use it today for headaches. For me it belongs in my collection. Haltbsrkeit, with me after under 1 hour unfortunately end.
10.0/10 Scent 3.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Bottle

This little scent...
4711 - of course I knew this fragrance, but only from its name, since my childhood. Although I am a very big fan of citric scents, I never paid any attention to this scent, thought it was rather such a typical old-fashioned scent. Just a few months ago I made a blind purchase, grabbed the bottle in the store and went to the checkout. 5.95 à 75ml.
The money was definitely worth it, as it turned out later.
Lid turned off, a few drops on the hand and on the forehead painted.
A very nice start, just like I expected it to be.
This dominating citrus fruit, a dream. You feel like in a cold shower, because after a few seconds the cooling effect starts.

Lemon
Lemon
and lemon again.

A little bit bitter, but that's the way it should be, that's what makes this fragrance so unisex, also good for men to wear.

After about 5 minutes a nice breeze of rosemary sets in. That's what makes this scent so delicious. But citrus fruits clearly dominate.
I don't think lavender was at all...The rosemary gives 4711 a small but fine spicy note, hardly perceptible, but it is there.

And it really is a fragrance that can be used anywhere.
As aftershave, simply as perfume, in midsummer as "air conditioner" etc...
Meanwhile there is also a small one in the car.

Already in possession of my 3 bottle, alone already 2 last summer.

The shelf life is really bad, the whole pleasure lasts only half an hour... I am still looking for an alternative with better shelf life, but definitely not Neroli Portofino. 200€ for a perfume! I'm out of it. Anybody got an idea?

I cannot understand why this fragrance has an image as a "fragrance for older people". Well...maybe because of the bottle...but cologne smells timeless!

The bottle is definitely unique, recognizable, eye-catching.
High-quality, thick glass, beautiful label.
Only the splash could be a bit wider, you have to shake it a bit so that a few drops fall on your hand. But that doesn't stop you from buying this fragrance, you can get it with an atomizer. But what I noticed, the smaller the bottle, the more intense is the fragrance.
I compared the 150ml output with the 75ml, the latter was much stronger, the 150ml slightly "aqueous".

I come to the end, I hope the fragrance stays for a few more decades, not that it disappears from the shelves.
Fresh, timeless, brilliant. So a correct description for 4711 would be:)

Have a nice summer!

You remind me...
You're the scent I've known from childhood!
She has you proud - and strong! - worn like her grey hair!
Often I would have liked to run away from you,
but not in front of her, who was my darling!

I can see her wetting herself with you,
the looks fresh-mischievous like your citrus notes.
Her warmest smile she put on
and then offered me 'pepper coin'.

I could never carry you instead of her You're tied to her with a tight knot.
But I perceive your pyramid,
she rises briefly - just the moment! - on from the dead!

For Anna...
7.5/10 Scent 3.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Sillage 3.0/10 Bottle

Basti87
A simple refreshment without many highlights
4711 - an old house, known mainly for its old scent. This brand is now marketed by Mäurer & Wirtz. This classic was created in 1792. What this fragrance, which is over 200 years old, has to do with the current version, is of course not known. 4711 is a very inexpensive brand and in the assortment you will find many great simple fragrances, which you already get at very low prices. Just like this one, which you can get for a tiny price.

I don't really see this cologne as a fragrance. It starts with the bottle. The bottle looks more like a cheap aftershave, even if the label is iconic and attractive. Also no atomizer.
The fragrance is very simple in itself, but still convinces with its refreshing nature. The fragrance is also quickly described thanks to its extremely short shelf life. Shortly after the application bergamot is in the foreground. The cooling effect here is enormous and refreshing at hot temperatures. After the application you have a cool and refreshing feeling on the skin, also very refreshing from the smell. Especially the citric top note with bergamot & lemon. In the further course of the game a lot of neroli is added. How do you do?
The combination of bergamot and neroli is a good success and is also timeless due to its early year of publication. You can smell a slightly old-fashioned oldschool touch, but there are also similar DNA's that have a similar vibe in other fragrances. E.g. Tom Fords Neroli Portofino, which has a better durability but you really pay a good price. Or the Cologne by Thierry Mugler, which resembles this one, but is even more modern.
I can recommend this 4711 to anyone, as it is simply a timeless refreshment. I don't see this cologne as a fragrance so much. The cooling effect is good on hot days. As a fragrance outside the house I would rather wear it less, because it has almost no sex appeal and rather sinks into the crowd. What is added is the miserable performance. The typical Cologne, which lasts about 2 hours maximum.

What is positive, of course, is the price. 10 Euro for 100ml, where you don't have to be economical with this cologne. What I find funny: There is also an XXL bottle in the 800ml version, which is also not so expensive. You can think what you want about this fragrance, but it is a living legend and simply cult
7.0/10 Scent 6.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Bottle

classic, why not?
I never tested before this historical cologne (the first, original cologne!) and when I did it I found it very good, citrusy-aromatic and refreshing , a well balanced fragrance for every day at an affordable price.
The time goes by, but the good old scents remain!
7.5/10 Scent 2.0/10 Longevity 2.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Bottle

Smelling salt bloom
In my head this little water existed until just now only in combination with sweating grandmas.
Where this idea comes from, I don't know myself, because I already had two grandmas, who sometimes sweated, but never used cologne.
Nevertheless, this thought always kept me from testing, although the great nostalgic bottle always waved to me.

And then someone changed my mind.
Yes, Yatagan, it was you.
You and your blog encouraged me to try 4711. :)

So today I made a pilgrimage to DM and bought a vial for testing purposes.

Courageously I dumped a small amount on my hand, held it in front of my nose and the same was released directly.
Puuuuuh, olfactory salt substitute, true.
Alcohol and lemon, but full carrot.
That makes your head lively and clear.

Just a minute later I only notice Neroli - and I love Neroli. I think the bittersweet bloom is great.
This fragrance lasts at most half an hour, but that's the way it's meant to be.

Since not a single granny or mouth cleaning memory is linked to this smell, I can say completely unbiased .......I like it really well.

Even for the top note I came up with a use - in case of panic attacks (which still haunt me every now and then) so-called skills are recommended - strong sensory stimuli that get you out of the brain carousel in fractions of a second.
The olfactory salt effect is perfect for this.

I think there must be a few bottles - in the bathroom, in the car, in the handbag, at work...

Thank you Yatagan.
10.0/10 Scent 4.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Bottle

AFreimann
Around since 1792 for good reason.
4711 Original eau de Cologne is *perfect*. I use it nearly every day as a refreshing 'wake me up' scent for after the morning shower while having coffee and applying various products (cosmetics, etc) before dressing. It works like a charm! I wake up in the elegant, citrus cloud of 4711 and by the time I'm ready to dress and choose my SOTD (scent of the day), 4711 has done its job and fades to either a skin scent or disappears completely.
Perfect!
Cologne, I think, is supposed to be a quickly disappearing fragrance 'pick up'.
If you want more longevity from a cologne, try:
1) soak a cotton ball (or multiple cotton balls) and put them in your shirt and/or trouser pockets.
2) prime your skin with lotion/moisturizer immediately prior to application.
3) be sure to get this on your clothing, in and out, front and back.
Completely unisex, 4711 Original is exemplary of colognes. The fresh, crisp, green, citrus scent is deliciously timeless, concurrently transporting me back in time to its inception and forward into the hopeful future.
A definite 'must have' for this fragrance nerd.

So-so cologne
When it comes to Eaux de Colognes, its not the idea you're paying for but the quality of execution. 4711 isn't bad, but its not so good either, it soon loses its refreshing edge as the citrus oils go pithy and dull.

No one expects longevity from an EdC. Putting musk in it is like putting ice cubes in your chilled white wine to keep it cool, it doesn't have much effect and just spoils the taste.

Instead of trying to spin out an ephemeral creation, it would be sensible for Mäurer & Wirtz to excise the white musk from their formula and spend that money on better quality oils.
10.0/10 Scent 5.0/10 Longevity 2.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Bottle

The original Eau de Cologne
Great fragrance. Also coincidentally a favorite of my German grandmother! This is a bright, fresh lemony cologne which can be sprayed throughout the day. It is incredibly refreshing and inoffensive. You can never put too much of this because it is always in a weak concentration (EDC), and the idea of re-applying throughout the day is fine as it doesn't really last very long.

But, it IS undoubtedly a classic! It is THE (original) cologne as it has been produced in the city of Cologne in Germany for over 200 years! Well worth it... just be prepared to apply throughout the day, and it's almost guaranteed to make anyone feel refreshed and happy every time. Amazing!
9.0/10 Scent

Refreshing!
I made the decision to cease from buying myself any fragrances as a New Year's resolution. On December 31 I bought myself a 300ml bottle (on sale for $27 Australian) as a last addition to my collection. I do not have a huge range of eau de colognes and felt that this masterpiece really deserved a place in my wardrobe. It is summer here at the moment last weekend we had 43.3 degrees C and for the next week it is forecast to be 37 degrees C on most days: 4711 is the perfect cologne for such weather. I usually put it on in the evening before I relax after a long day: a small palmful splashed on my neck and the lovely smell of neroli wafts around me. This is a subtle, well balanced cologne that is not overly citric: it is just right. The longevity is predictably low, but that is to be expected. There is a reason this has been around over 200 years!

Elysium 43 days ago
An agreeable eau de cologne full of citrus peels and blossoms, ideal for springtime and all those days you feel in the mood for going easy.
SergioT 85 days ago
8.0/10 Scent 4.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Bottle
The original cologne. Beautiful citrus fragrance. Airy and weak. Great for the hot weather. I wear it with a white t-shirt.
Carlitos01 179 days ago
7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Bottle
An old and proven recipe: Citrus and Neroli. As long as you don't mind the low performance, you cannot go wrong.
Recommended!
Anasali 10 months ago
7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Bottle
this is a nice citrus cologne , refreshing and cold the sad thing is that it fades away really fast .
AmberScent 11 months ago
7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Bottle
Old faithful! Magnificent Citrus & Neroli. As Carly Simon sung: "And nobody does it better, Though sometimes I wish someone could"...
Akinnen 12 months ago
8.0/10 Scent 1.0/10 Longevity 3.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Bottle
I love the scent and the design of the bottles, everything is excellent except it doesn't last. If you like citric notes for quick refresh.
Itchynose 14 months ago
7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Bottle
A timeless classic: citrus, lavender and neroli blending into a fresh, uplifting and short lived cologne. Beauty in simplicity.
JoaoMartins 19 months ago
7.5/10 Scent 1.0/10 Longevity 1.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Bottle
Lasts 20 minutes but smells rather nice.
Carlossp 2 years ago
7.0/10 Scent 4.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Bottle
It is a classic colony but not power, citrus and lavender, you have to be generous pouring amount, but essential in a wardrobe of perfumes.

by Lasisa
by Lasisa
was ist frischer? der see mit wellengang oder 4711?
Tribute to a classic
by Scottie
Zum 11.11.2019 braucht es mal ein 4711-Foto mit Dom - Du bes Kölle, ob de wells oder och nit... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHOqpFKrqNw *DANKE nochmal an alle Kölner (Schäl Sick hing oder her), Kölner im Herzen und alle anderen natürlich auch*
by BBMie
by TIA1971
Herzlichen Dank euch allen für eure ideenreichen Gedanken, ich freue mich sehr darüber:)
by Scottie
by Zora
Vollmond bei uns am See (ein Überlagerungsexperiment)
by Ginger
by Ginger
by Piepmatz
by Piepmatz
by Snaut
by Snaut
by Itchynose
by Itchynose
Diesmal zur inneren Anwendung!!
by Undsofort
by Undsofort
Mit Melone - ganz spontan für PureNeugier.  Für Fresh 21 mein letztes Foto der Sommmerchallenge 2019. Vintage oder Bunt?!
by Violaodorata
Glockengasse 4711
by Rasierwasser
by BeGantle
by BeGantle
Sweet dreaming about 4711
by TomLavender
Mein 4711 auf einem Rheinschiff nach Köln..
stolze 800 ml...
by Boszka79
by Boszka79
by Vanna
Vintage für Fresh 21. Flakon 150 ml.
by Violaodorata
by Carlitos01
by Carlitos01
by Lullaby
by Lullaby
4711 (Deodorant Natural Spray)
by BassWurst
by Piapedersen
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular 4711

Remix Cologne Anniversary Edition by 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2018 by 4711 Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense - Wakening Woods of Scandinavia by 4711 Acqua Colonia Lime & Nutmeg (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2019 by 4711 Portugal (Eau de Toilette) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Mandarine & Cardamom (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Pink Pepper & Grapefruit (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Coffee Bean & Vetyver by 4711 Carat (Parfum) by 4711 Acqua Colonia White Peach & Coriander (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Sir - Canada Ceder (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Sir - Irisch Moos (Eau de Toilette) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Melissa & Verbena by 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense - Floral Fields of Ireland by 4711 Nouveau Cologne by 4711 Acqua Colonia Rhubarb & Clary Sage by 4711 Acqua Colonia Vanilla & Chestnut by 4711 Acqua Colonia Saffron & Iris by 4711