Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)

Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711
Bottle Design: Peter Heinrich Molanus
Die Glockengasse bei Nacht - © MÄURER & WIRTZ GmbH & Co.KG
© MÄURER & WIRTZ GmbH & Co.KG
4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser  Duschgel - © MÄURER & WIRTZ GmbH & Co.KG
Echt Kölnisch Wasser (4711)

Echt Kölnisch Wasser is a perfume by 4711 for women and men and was released in 1792. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesNeroli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.11.2018

"Original Eau de Cologne" goes back to a special mixture, the 1709 "Aqua Mirabilis”. Johann Maria Farina, an Italian immigrant to Cologne stood behind the original recipe. Soon there were other "Eau de Colognes", that used the name "Farina” and Farina had to fight against plagiarism. With Georg Mühlens, who issued one of these 1792, there was a long-running dispute. Eventually the product´s name was changed in "4711 - Eau de Cologne". Until today, both companies produce their fragrances. "Farina Gegenüber" states to use the old original recipe from over 300 years ago.

When Napoleon had occupied Cologne, he enumerated all the houses. The house in the Street "Glockengasse", where Georg Mühlens resided in, got the number 4711. Still today on some gift packs, there is the drawing of a uniformed cavalier, writing the number on the wall with chalk. The bell ("Glockengasse" means "alley of bells") is still shown in the logo.

Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
classic, why not?
I never tested before this historical cologne (the first, original cologne!) and when I did it I found it very good, citrusy-aromatic and refreshing , a well balanced fragrance for every day at an affordable price.
The time goes by, but the good old scents remain!
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Around since 1792 for good reason.
4711 Original eau de Cologne is *perfect*. I use it nearly every day as a refreshing 'wake me up' scent for after the morning shower while having coffee and applying various products (cosmetics, etc) before dressing. It works like a charm! I wake up in the elegant, citrus cloud of 4711 and by the time I'm ready to dress and choose my SOTD (scent of the day), 4711 has done its job and fades to either a skin scent or disappears completely.
Perfect!
Cologne, I think, is supposed to be a quickly disappearing fragrance 'pick up'.
If you want more longevity from a cologne, try:
1) soak a cotton ball (or multiple cotton balls) and put them in your shirt and/or trouser pockets.
2) prime your skin with lotion/moisturizer immediately prior to application.
3) be sure to get this on your clothing, in and out, front and back.
Completely unisex, 4711 Original is exemplary of colognes. The fresh, crisp, green, citrus scent is deliciously timeless, concurrently transporting me back in time to its inception and forward into the hopeful future.
A definite 'must have' for this fragrance nerd.
So-so cologne
When it comes to Eaux de Colognes, its not the idea you're paying for but the quality of execution. 4711 isn't bad, but its not so good either, it soon loses its refreshing edge as the citrus oils go pithy and dull.

No one expects longevity from an EdC. Putting musk in it is like putting ice cubes in your chilled white wine to keep it cool, it doesn't have much effect and just spoils the taste.

Instead of trying to spin out an ephemeral creation, it would be sensible for Mäurer & Wirtz to excise the white musk from their formula and spend that money on better quality oils.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
The original Eau de Cologne
Great fragrance. Also coincidentally a favorite of my German grandmother! This is a bright, fresh lemony cologne which can be sprayed throughout the day. It is incredibly refreshing and inoffensive. You can never put too much of this because it is always in a weak concentration (EDC), and the idea of re-applying throughout the day is fine as it doesn't really last very long.

But, it IS undoubtedly a classic! It is THE (original) cologne as it has been produced in the city of Cologne in Germany for over 200 years! Well worth it... just be prepared to apply throughout the day, and it's almost guaranteed to make anyone feel refreshed and happy every time. Amazing!
Scent 9.0/10
Refreshing!
I made the decision to cease from buying myself any fragrances as a New Year's resolution. On December 31 I bought myself a 300ml bottle (on sale for $27 Australian) as a last addition to my collection. I do not have a huge range of eau de colognes and felt that this masterpiece really deserved a place in my wardrobe. It is summer here at the moment last weekend we had 43.3 degrees C and for the next week it is forecast to be 37 degrees C on most days: 4711 is the perfect cologne for such weather. I usually put it on in the evening before I relax after a long day: a small palmful splashed on my neck and the lovely smell of neroli wafts around me. This is a subtle, well balanced cologne that is not overly citric: it is just right. The longevity is predictably low, but that is to be expected. There is a reason this has been around over 200 years!
Scent 9.0/10
Memories of my ancestors...
I'm sure anyone with any bit of german ancenstry has memories of this scent. Spicy, nutty, herbal, citrus. Bergamot bursts at the beginning, followed by sweet lemon and herbs.

A delicious refresher that is a great pick-me-up for spring and summer. This scent is the one that has the most pull on my memory. I'm instantly transported back to 1966 sitting in my jammies while watching my mom get dressed up to go out. She gives me a kiss goodbye and her scent wafts across my nose.

I lost her almost 15 years ago and this scent brings her back to me for a lovely visit...
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Nostalgia in a bottle...
My great-grandmother used this. When I was small and sat on her lap, she would smell of this. I always have a bottle. A crispy clean citrus smell with a punch, it wakes you up!
But it is also wonderful in the summer when it's too hot. I have it in the dashboard of my car, on long journeys I adore using it; a dab on the temples and wrists and one feels a bit picked-up. Great memories and useful too.
Bottle 2.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Endlich weiss ich...
Okay, so now I finally know what German grandmothers and grandfathers smell like! I felt that I could not continue on in this state of ignorance any longer, at least not while claiming to be a respectable member of Parfumo, so I took the plunge on a bottle of 4711 at one of the discount emporia. They sent me a 10oz glass jug of the stuff for $12, shipping included.

Upon its arrival, I noticed that the label was scratched and the cap slightly dented, which led me to believe that the bottle might be old. On the other hand, old bottles from discounters sometimes mean "not reformulated," which is generally a good thing.

So anyway, I splashed some on and immediately decided that it was drugstore quality and that I'd be using my large volume as a disinfectant for those increasingly rare occasions when HRH Emperor Oliver has a surge of testosterone and lashes out at me with his claws. Then I just forgot about until today.

I was wearing Lush ORANGE BLOSSOM and figured that it might be nice to give 4711 another try, since it's in the same general olfactory neighborhood, so I decanted some into an atomizer and found that it smells nicer sprayed on than splashed. However, there is still a residual dirty note (oakmoss? lily?) which makes this particular cologne smell not that appealing to my nose.

It's okay though, and I don't begrudge German grandmothers and grandfathers for wearing 4711! I do understand, however, why sophisticated German perfumistas are not all that enthusiastic about this cologne. It could get old fast, if one smelled it everywhere one went!

I'll keep wearing my Berdoues 1902 and Gandini 1896 colognes for the purpose of beating the heat this summer. Must have been a good decade!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Memories of another homeland
I was born and grew up in the Czech Republik, exactly at the Erzgebirge. 4711 was the very first "perfume" I got to know. My grannies used it as well as my grand pa's and also my parents used it again and again. Later my mother got a "Tosca" from Germany - a gift from a friend of her - and she used it extremely careful and very seldom.

As kids we got rubed it on the forehead skin having headache and when our stomach was bad, we got a sugar cube with a little bit 4711 to suck it. This really helped - against headache and against brakishness.

Today I'm using 4711 when travelling - especially for longer trip - it's unpayable! It refreshes, it wakes up and makes the head cool and free. My husband is using 4711 when he doesn't like to use any fragrance, because 4711 is just minty-lemon freshness.

The smell: not overloaded, fresh, citrus and peppermint freshness, classic - this is how a "Eau de Cologne" should smell.

And yes, I'm a fan of 4711 - even if it's no longer a Mäurer & Wirz product - and I hope it will not disappear from the market!
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
ECHT KÖLNISCH WASSER by 4711
The formula for 4711 has remained under wraps since its introduction over 200 years ago. We are aware of the basic notes of this fragrance but not much more. Amazingly enough, 4711 is as relevant today as a fresh citrus cologne as in its beginning. The opening of 4711 is sparkling citrus, featuring bergamot, lemon and orange. Bright, refreshing pure and simple just as it should be. The complexity starts with heart notes in a classic combination of lavender and rosemary. Many colognes have this make-up of citrus top and herbal heart, so 4711 remains true to its Cologne heritage. The floral neroli base compliments the citrus notes once again, keeping 4711 fresh and simple. 4711 is not a complex niche cologne, and wasn't intended to be. But, this is a great everyday leisure fragrance that does have a clean, fresh edge. 4711 is a great choice for wearing to indoor functions where you may be around many people who might take issue with heavy fragrances.

Longevity on 4711 is a bit deceiving. Some have complained that it is undetectable after 30 minutes but like many cologne type fragrances, they are composed of citrus and can be short on longevity. Citrus notes are fleeting on the skin and sometime all you are left with are some long lasting heart notes and sturdy base notes. 4711 does have a herbal heart which does last but the neroli base is just about as short lived as the citrus opening. 4711 turns into a great skin scent but be careful, if you find yourself in a situation where your body temperature rises due to either the room temperature or outside temperature. 4711 will definitely make a second appearance in a strong fashion. This experience with 4711 is completely unexpected and a bit of a pleasant surprise.

The large 400ml bottle is designed to be used as a splash and is best applied in that fashion. There are smaller sizes available and even one with a spray atomizer but to get the full effect, stick to the 1820 design splash bottle. It's fun to use.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 2.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Fragrant medicine
For me, 4711 is not so much a perfume as a fragrant and refreshing cosmetic: I use it successfully to treat blemishes and small lesions (especially squeezed spots) and it works a treat! Often it even stops pimples in the making from developing and it speeds up the healing of ripe ones.
Beginning headaches can be treated by rubbing the temples with the cologne - it won't cure a migraine, but it eases the pressure.

The fragrance reminds me a little of my greatgrandmother - unfortunately when she was very old she tried to cover up small mishaps with it, and that didn't go well.

JoaoMartins 60 days ago
Lasts 20 minutes but smells rather nice and old school. That's it!
Bottle 1.0
Sillage 1.0
Longevity 1.0
Scent 5.0
Carlossp 13 months ago
It is a classic colony but not power, citrus and lavender, you have to be generous pouring amount, but essential in a wardrobe of perfumes.
Bottle 7.0

• by Tecon by Tecon
  • by Piapedersen by Piapedersen
  • by Madkat by Madkat

Popular 4711

Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711 Nouveau Cologne by 4711 Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Lemon & Ginger (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Mandarine & Cardamom (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Pink Pepper & Grapefruit (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Wunder*Wasser für Ihn by 4711 Wunder*Wasser für Sie by 4711 Acqua Colonia Lime & Nutmeg (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Melissa & Verbena by 4711 Sir - Irisch Moos (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Rhubarb & Clary Sage by 4711 Acqua Colonia Juniper Berry & Marjoram by 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2018 by 4711 Acqua Colonia Lavender & Thyme by 4711 Acqua Colonia Vetyver & Bergamot by 4711 Acqua Colonia White Peach & Coriander (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Plum & Honey by 4711 Ice Cool Cologne / Ice Blue by 4711 Acqua Colonia Hazel & Tonka by 4711