Echt Kölnisch Wasser 1792 Eau de Cologne

Echt Kölnisch Wasser (Eau de Cologne) by 4711
Bottle Design Peter Heinrich Molanus
Echt Kölnisch Wasser (Eau de Cologne) is a perfume by 4711 for women and men and was released in 1792. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Mäurer & Wirtz. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot OrangeOrange LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavenderLavender RosemaryRosemary
Base Notes Base NotesNeroliNeroli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.05.2022.

"Original Eau de Cologne" goes back to a special mixture, the 1709 "Aqua Mirabilis”. Johann Maria Farina, an Italian immigrant to Cologne stood behind the original recipe. Soon there were other "Eau de Colognes", that used the name "Farina” and Farina had to fight against plagiarism. With Georg Mühlens, who issued one of these 1792, there was a long-running dispute. Eventually the product´s name was changed in "4711 - Eau de Cologne". Until today, both companies produce their fragrances. "Farina Gegenüber" states to use the old original recipe from over 300 years ago.

When Napoleon had occupied Cologne, he enumerated all the houses. The house in the Street "Glockengasse", where Georg Mühlens resided in, got the number 4711. Still today on some gift packs, there is the drawing of a uniformed cavalier, writing the number on the wall with chalk. The bell ("Glockengasse" means "alley of bells") is still shown in the logo.

My Wife Thinks I Have a Problem
4711 doesn’t last long, but I’m not sure I would have it any other way, because of the way I use it. It’s an after-shower, summer-go-to for me, or a refresher at the end of any day. I decant this stuff into smaller bottles for easy access when I feel the need. In fact, I think my wife thinks that I have a problem because she keeps finding bottles of 4711 stashed around the house. It’s not something that you just dab on. I practically dump the stuff over my head. A lot of it gets left on the floor, but the price is right for this type of compulsive behavior.

ChicoRoch1
An after shower splash not a cologne
When i 1st started becoming interested in fragrances quite seriously i searched for the fragrance that has been in production the longest. Enter 4711 by Muelhens Original Eau de Cologne. I paid a paltry $11 for an 8oz bottle of the stuff and i was quite excited to splash it on. The 1st thing I noticed is the amazing citrusy opening as it whacked me clear across the face in a good way. I thought it was going to be a great experience and that the scent would last a good part of the day. There's Patchouli, Vetiver, Musk, Sandalwood, Cedar and Oakmoss (supposedly). With that arsenal. I figured I'd be good for at least 5 or 6hrs. Alas if i got more than 2hrs of longevity I'd be lucky and that was about it. Then i realized it's a citrus fragrance and an EDC so i shouldn't be surprised. Also the formula is over 200 yrs old and I'll bet this fragrance wasn't meant for endurance, but still, with all of that beef loaded in the base i figured; Ah whatever!! Buy it it's cheap, it has a loooong history, and it really does smell nice. Overall it's really an after bath splash ala Jean Nate', not a cologne IMO
Common ground
Lotti and Irmi. Sisters. They grew up in Silesia. Lotti became a seamstress and a milliner. Irmi took over her parents' flower stall at the market.

After months of trekking, and they and the horses were simply too exhausted to move on, they were assigned a room with a war widow in a small northern German town. Welcome, they were not there.

That changed only after Lotti began to sew clothes from old uniforms, sheets and blankets. So slowly she made a name for herself in the place with that. Especially since she also took on any kind of alterations. It wasn't long before Irmi had traded an old sewing machine for Lotti on the black market. She had given her earrings for it.

In general, the sisters could not have been more different.

Lotti was always elegantly dressed. Costume, preferably in a shade of yellow, matching hat, gloves. Even in the summer. Irmi loved her old trousers and the washed-out green yoke she had worn in the beginning when working in the fields, which she had taken on with a farmer. One graceful and small, the other tall and stout.

Only two things, they both had in common. Their almost water-blue eyes and a fondness for 4711.

After Lotti opened a small tailor shop and also started making hats again, the two of them moved into a tiny cottage.

The smell when you entered, I'll never forget it. Everywhere in the small rooms were small bowls, in which small cotton balls lay. These were regularly soaked with the cologne.

This tangy fresh, a very little bit bitter note of orange and lemon, this fine herbaceous spice, the slight hint of lavender, embraced a summer as winter.
And they always smelled of it, too. Lotti always put a few spritzes on her handkerchief and then dabbed her forehead and neck. Irmi was less complicated. She would take the bottle and put a few drops on her décolleté. And if then only a soft reverberation on the skin lay, was immediately nachgelegt.

When I visited them as a child, my chocolate mouth was wiped with it, if I had an abrasion it was used to clean the wound and I think they also used it as a mouthwash additive. In any case, a good shot of it was always put in the little bowl of ironing water.

That was a long time ago, but when I smell the scent today, refreshing myself with it in the summer, it's an incredibly nice feeling. And then there are somewhere also Lotti and Irmi.
LibraryGhost
Super fragrance for summer and an all-rounder
It's a shame that this scent is labeled as a "grandma/grandpa scent". I myself am 28 and wear the fragrance super happy in the summer. He is just so versatile, you can use it as a disinfectant, you get ballpoint pen stains from clothes out with it, he helps against headaches, he helps to relax.
Just great! :)
Stinkiwinki
A little more respect, please, or childhood air conditioning
In the early 70s, my family traveled either in the express train pulled by a class 110 or in the Beetle 1302. The summers were hot and air conditioning did not yet exist, neither in the Beetle nor in the 2nd class of the Deutsche Bundesbahn. Open windows and damp towels were our air conditioning systems. And just 4711. In our case mostly in the form of refreshing towels. And that worked! In truth, it was probably just the evaporating alcohol that provided short-term cooling on the skin, but does that matter? One uncle used it as an aftershave.

I read with disgust today that some people want to measure this perfume against perfumes. Also the unspeakable expression "Omaduft" is to be found again and again. Dear people, occupy yourselves nevertheless times with the history of the Kölnisch Wasser! In fact, in its absolute heyday, cologne was the dominant men's fragrance, used by Louis XV, Napoleon, Mozart, Voltaire, and Goethe.

To describe the fragrance would be like carrying owls to Athens. Nope, I don't see it! Who is so ignorant not to know 4711, has actually lost here nothing - sorry for the clear words. Surely you don't have to know every fragrance and surely you don't have to like 4711 - but you should respect it as one of the oldest "perfumes" in the world. The Turkish offshoot Kolonya even served as a disinfectant in Corona times. So a little more respect, please!
Green refreshment
A real classic. It smells slightly citric and also green/mossy. I like the fact that it somehow reminds me of a dewy meadow. It is recommended if you like the aroma of citrus fruits and/or green scents (plants)
Refreshments?
One knows the situation of the last days and weeks: It feels hotter than ever, the beads of sweat are on your forehead. The fan hastily ordered from Amazon does not help. Buy an air conditioning unit? Too expensive for the three warm weeks per year in Germany! One surrenders to the suffering of the heat, collectively.

Except for a small Cologne-Gallic village called 4711, which waits patiently at the sink to give the wearer the freshness he sought in vain. The scented water absorbs the drops of sweat and cools the forehead. The citric Neroli freshness teleports the brain to the Italian Riviera, where the current temperatures are not considered disturbingly hot, but desirable.

As cologne, the fragrance - in contrast to what the local fragrance pyramid would suggest - only offers top notes. The scent vanishes after a short time. And it should and that is a good thing. This water is for the wearer, not for his environment. The price makes more frequent application throughout the day. And shouldn't this fragrance refresh? Can't it do it much better if it offers the refreshment opportunity several times a day? It is suitable for superimposing on any fragrance that you want to add a fresh start.

A small suggestion at this point: You've also wondered how expensive disinfectant can be these days? The alcohol concentration of 'm Echt Kölnisch Wasser is comparable. So is the price. But Echt Kölnisch Wasser smells good and provides refreshment. Disinfectant only disinfects. Why not use Genuine Cologne Water as a disinfectant with style? I can't think of anything that speaks against it!

A classic that reinterpreted disinfectants without knowing it.

Buy the summer wonder water. It's very cheap. And replace Tom Ford's neroli Portofino.

Cheers
Super for summer heat
Everything above 25°C is actually already too much for me, I am clearly not the summer type. I much prefer the late summer with pleasantly mild warmth. But summer is summer and if it's just raining and cool - that's not really nice. And you can stay in the house over lunchtime. Unfortunately, my circulation often gets a bit tired when it's warm, no matter how much I drink. And I don't really like wearing perfume above 25°C. But there's nothing without it, such a pleasant scent in the nose is just something fine. *g* Yes, I am a little difficult with warmth...

Good old 4711, on the other hand, is a fragrance for me that was created for these temperatures. At least as far as I'm concerned. I don't associate it with childhood trauma, none of my ancestors wore it. So I can approach the fragrance quite unselfconsciously. Okay, I associate it with refreshing tissues, but even that is nothing bad for me.

I smell bergamot the strongest at the beginning, plus a little lavender. Orange comes after a few minutes and a very little bit of lemon. Just so much that it doesn't bother me, I'm not a lemon fan of scents. And neroli, which I actually smell from the beginning. The whole thing lasts about 15, max. 30 minutes. no longer than that. And also quite discreet, you can be generous here without risking an overdose. The splash bottle doesn't bother me either, because I like to pour a larger amount into my hand and distribute it. If after an hour I can't perceive any more of it, I'm happy to repeat it again. Although the scent on the clothes lasts a little longer.

I don't feel it hard and scratchy, nor soft. Keeps you refreshing in the heat, which is the sense of an EdC for me.

Of course, there are also more expensive EdC, but to what extent the steep surcharge is worthwhile here, everyone must decide for himself. I for one will stay with good old 4711 for the summer.
Nostalgia and freshness
Especially in summer I find "4711" a wonderful and refreshing fragrance, which brings a wonderful breeze of refreshment especially on especially hot days. That is why I love it!
Of course this water is not something "unique", but its refreshing effect has been in homes all over the world for centuries. For me it is simply timeless and therefore always wearable. That there is no lavish durability ... what the heck! My primary concern is a short refreshment and not to tell everyone around me that I have just applied a fragrance. This is exactly where its strength lies. As I think, it doesn't rub off and doesn't apply thickly, but it is nevertheless reservedly conspicuous ;)
When I hold the bottle in my hands, I feel like I'm transported to another time. The classic motif and the unmistakable font remind me of the early 19th century and I like to let my thoughts wander back to that time, which is reflected in numerous illustrations, books and paintings before my inner eye.
In short: a classic, which is a useful companion in every situation, time of day and for every age.
Curious cocktail
The prelude: fresh, hissing, lemony! Unfortunately, I find this classic then afterwards to be musty and smelling old. During an almost unbearably hot summer, I nevertheless gladly accepted the musty smell developing on my skin, as I could no longer tolerate my usual scents. I always put the bottle in the fridge, which was always a great refreshment :-) I could have drunk this stuff......wait a minute, would that work? Citric oils and alcohol were not poisonous, were they? Neither was lavender. After some research it turned out that until Napoleon's times this water was also taken in former times. But I did not want to try 4711 pure, not even diluted with wine! Then I found it on the Internet. Some Cologne bars are said to mix the following cocktail: Danziger Goldwasser (what on earth is that?), Blue Curacao, Vodka, a dash of 4711, topped up with sparkling wine. Yummy!

I got incredibly thirsty, but I was (and am) also a real coward. What if that was poisonous? That would really be a rather inglorious end!

I took heart and asked 4711 :D

4711 was pleased with my interest, but they strongly advised me against my project! They also did not want to know about this alleged "blue-gold cocktail". 4711 is exclusively for external use!

Shredded, I enjoy a whisky and am grateful to have escaped with my life once again
Cheers

ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1 7 months ago
Splish splash use it as an after bath!
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
Personally I find it very refreshing, however I would never dare to wear it as its the typical grandma smell
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
An agreeable eau de cologne full of citrus peels and blossoms, ideal for springtime and all those days you feel in the mood for going easy.
SergioTSergioT 2 years ago
The original cologne. Beautiful citrus fragrance. Airy and weak. Great for the hot weather. I wear it with a white t-shirt.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
An old and proven recipe: Citrus and Neroli. As long as you don't mind the low performance, you can not go wrong.
Recommended!
AnasaliAnasali 3 years ago
this is a nice citrus cologne , refreshing and cold the sad thing is that it fades away really fast .
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
Old faithful! Magnificent Citrus & Neroli. As Carly Simon sung: "And nobody does it better, Though sometimes I wish someone could"...
AkinnenAkinnen 3 years ago
I love the scent and the design of the bottles, everything is excellent except it doesn't last. If you like citric notes for quick refresh.
ItchynoseItchynose 3 years ago
A timeless classic: citrus, lavender and neroli blending into a fresh, uplifting and short lived cologne. Beauty in simplicity.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 4 years ago
Lasts 20 minutes but smells rather nice.

by Lasisa
by Lasisa
was ist frischer? der see mit wellengang oder 4711?
Tribute to a classic
by Scottie
Zum 11.11.2019 braucht es mal ein 4711-Foto mit Dom - Du bes Kölle, ob de wells oder och nit... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHOqpFKrqNw *DANKE nochmal an alle Kölner (Schäl Sick hing oder her), Kölner im Herzen und alle anderen natürlich auch*
by BBMie
die Erfrischung für unterwegs und abschliessen nie vergessen:).
by TIA1971
Herzlichen Dank euch allen für eure ideenreichen Gedanken, ich freue mich sehr darüber:)
by Scottie
Vollmond bei uns am See (ein Überlagerungsexperiment)
4711 in Rauris
by Fabistinkt
Wie war es doch in Köln vordem.....
by Camey5000
4711 am Stilfser Joch
by Ginger
by Ginger
by Snaut
by Snaut
Diesmal zur inneren Anwendung!!
by Undsofort
by Undsofort
by Itchynose
by Itchynose
Mit Melone - ganz spontan für PureNeugier.  Für Fresh 21 mein letztes Foto der Sommmerchallenge 2019. Vintage oder Bunt?!
by Violaodorata
Glockengasse 4711
by Rasierwasser
by Antoschka
by Antoschka
by BeGantle
by BeGantle
Mein 4711 auf einem Rheinschiff nach Köln..
by TomLavender
Vintage für Fresh 21. Flakon 150 ml.
by Violaodorata
by Jerenevin
by Jerenevin
by Lullaby
by Lullaby
4711 (Deodorant Natural Spray)
by BassWurst
by Piapedersen
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular by 4711

Remix Cologne Edition 2018 by 4711 Remix Cologne Anniversary Edition by 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense - Wakening Woods of Scandinavia by 4711 Acqua Colonia Vanilla & Chestnut by 4711 Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Lime & Nutmeg (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2019 by 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense - Sunny Seaside of Zanzibar by 4711 Portugal (Eau de Toilette) by 4711 Carat (Parfum) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Mandarine & Cardamom (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Pink Pepper & Grapefruit (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser Floral Collection Jasmine by 4711 Acqua Colonia Myrrh & Kumquat by 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2020 by 4711 Acqua Colonia Saffron & Iris by 4711 Sir - Canada Ceder (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia White Peach & Coriander (Eau de Cologne) by 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense - Pure Breeze of Himalaya by 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense - Floral Fields of Ireland by 4711