What We Do In Paris Is Secret 2012

What We Do In Paris Is Secret by A Lab on Fire
Bottle Design Jan Håkon Robson
What We Do In Paris Is Secret is a popular perfume by A Lab on Fire for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergrisAmbergris
SandalwoodSandalwood
Tolu balmTolu balm
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 02.09.2021.

Amour fou
...or love at first sight?

A romantic affair in Paris or yet the big throw of true love?

The French believe in love at first sight, the Germans are more reserved and yet, it exists in life.

I am totally in love with this perfume, I was forewarned that it was similar to Le Bain by Joop - a classic for me - which never bothered me when I wore it, I like it a lot from time to time.

So I was curious, how will this fragrance develop on me?

Simply gorgeous, love at first sight, so to speak.

Was Le Bain the alternative candidate, the flirt, which never disturbed, but was pleasant, so this perfume is the bull's eye in all facets.

I feel this fragrance like an alluring Lolita, innocently sweet, gourmand and slightly voluptuous, which components are responsible for this, I can not differentenzeitren.

But in the drydown it becomes very sexy, skin deep, without losing the extravagant note, it seems almost innocently alluring, erotically seductive and becomes one with my skin chemistry.

Adorable innocent sexy, the seductive Loreley that captivates you.

I'll try to describe, the first sniff, a bit very alcoholic and bitter, maybe the bitter orange, gone after a minute, then the typical Le Bain appeal, clean, freshly showered, nice, le Bain stops here.

But then it really gets going here, so after half an hour, what is it?

Vanilla yes, honey yes, balsam yes, marzipan, a little bit and then this stunning skinny, sultry note, skin deep, like pheromones that attract, don't know what it is, like an unsweet musk, beautifully gourmand and this is where my true love for this fragrance begins.

It's so beautiful and long lasting with this note.....

No, this scent is not a flirtation for me, it was love at first sniff and now gets to join the ranks with my Beige by Chanel and Coromandel, my signature scents. Sorry, you two Chanels, you have to accept him, the third in the bunch and he is more than a fling, I love him.....

Yes, I am having an amour fou with this fragrance in Paris and don't tell the Chanels about the Californian from the lab of LA because

What we do in Paris is secret!

One thing is for sure, he will stay with me.....

The durability is great!

So, the second bottle is already on the way, I give myself for Christmas, the third maybe for my birthday.......
Lokum and French nougat
Hello my dear perfume friends and welcome to my perfume advent calendar, in which today behind door number 8 this great fragrance is hidden: A Lab on Fire. What we do in Paris is Secret.

And right from the start I have to say that this is one of my favourite fragrances from my collection. If I could only keep 10 fragrances, this one would be there for sure, but let's leave this cruel mind game.

The packaging looks high-quality, under the slipcase there is a stable cardboard box, in which the flacon is embedded, which I admittedly don't find very pretty, but nevertheless functional, because the spray head can be unscrewed. Here, a perfume-crazy person exchanging samples with us has thought, thank you! The flacon itself is laminated white, looks rather cheap, my nail nail and newly sealed flacon even had a little quirk, which I personally get over, but with a niche fragrance in the middle price range rather unattractive. The lid is decorated with the company logo: a burning Erlenmeyer flask. A Lab on Lire could now be translated twice: First, a laboratory in flames (rather unattractive and dangerous, I work in a laboratory and open fire is strictly avoided there) or second and this is my preferred variant: a laboratory at the start or in excitement.
From the company's own homepage and on the packaging, the perfumers of the creations are duly appreciated, which I find, similar to Frédéric Malle, a beautiful and important gesture, because without a nose there is no fragrance.

On the website, the fragrance is described as oriental, but I rather agree with the term, sweet and gourmand, because for me it is a light gourmand with a minimal oriental touch. It smells like a delicate mixture of Turkish honey and French nougat.
What we do in Paris is Secret starts off minimally fruity and fresh. The honey used is sweet, but very pleasing and free of any animalism. The powdery, almond-like marzipan aroma of the heliotrope quickly joins in, rose and vanilla are supportive, for my nose none of the notes play to the fore. The sticky-sweet treat ends harmoniously over a sandy-balsamic base.

Durability and sillage are extremely high with me. In the everyday life carried here at most 3 sprayers may be used, in order not to stress the environment too much. But I prefer to wear it on freezing cold winter evenings for going out and cuddling. For me it radiates a certain eroticism as well as a cuddly homeliness. Parallels with Joop! Le Bain are quite perceptible, but this special heliotrope note What we do in Paris lifts it into a more complex dimension.

It is stated as a unisex scent and yes, it is rather sweet, but I would be interested in how it works on a man. Maybe I spray him just once secretly.....ach we also leave the ;)

Your Flaconesse

Sex, Marzipan & what?
I do not like fruity fresh scents, I do not like sweet gourmands and I do not like long hipster names. Nevertheless, I am a little addicted to WWDIPIS from ALOF. Yeah, sometimes it's not logical
The prelude: Fullness, richness, vitality. Sensual, lactic. Adult sex, not teenage make-out. Conventionally, I'd say "fruity and fresh," but that doesn't really hit the spot. I don't perceive honey here
After about ten minutes there is a hint of almond sweetness, which after twenty minutes is fully blooming and lasts for a provocative long time. Even this is excessively erotic: sticky-sweet doesn't come up, it would only destroy the magic. The seduction and the building up of tension comes here after the thundershower. Why not, dreams and perfumes do not have to stick to the time grid.

First more serious, woody, even remote earthy tones after about three hours. A very nice mixture also this, but I am confused. Country house with old wood and brick? Spice cake? Smells wonderful, but how does it fit into the story? Stay back overtaxed and think that the fragrance could be missing the middle and the red thread
If someone offers me a conclusive story on this course of events, I'll raise to nine.

Regarding the fragrance house "A Lab on Fire" I wrote something in my comment on "California Snow"; I don't want to repeat myself. New (for me): The name can be "Lab on Fire" as well as "Lab burning with enthusiasm". Another perfume company has pointed it out.

The fragrances of this shed are not formally declared as women's fragrances, but are nevertheless conceived as such. You can see this from the company's website, the boxes and the flacons. The place is teeming with unrestrained, softly drawn black-and-white pictures of dreamily gazing female beauties. If someone should now say: "I'm sure men like to see that too", then I'll play the trump card. At ALOF online you can buy matching handbags for individual fragrances in the car-merchandise section of the website. For up to four-digit dollar amounts. Any more questions?

Despite the company's somewhat nosy, pompous thing, which sometimes makes you think that it puts ten times as much emphasis on selling a lifestyle as it does on solid work on the fragrance, you have to admit that the pricing (for the fragrances, not the handbags) is still fair (60 ml: 125 USD) and the waters (it seems) are simply good craftsmanship.

But I only know the two products of this brand: the snow and this one. They are extremely different. California Snow is synthetic and linear; this one looks natural and has a strong flow. But both are fascinating, highly original and (especially the snow) unmistakable. Almost I would like to say "unique".

Dominique Ropion, the name hadn't told me anything (shame on my head) until now, is a perfumer with a remarkable lifetime achievement. I almost want to say "performance". For him, countless fragrances of equally countless brands are listed here, created by him from 1982 to 2020, partly as a solo perfumer, partly as a team. I would just like to mention the following wild mixture: Invictus, Krazy Krizia, Acqua di Gioia (rated underground, but I like it very much), La vie est belle, Lady Million, Oud Malaki (I like it very much), Vetiver Extraordinaire (rated very well, but I can't do anything with it).

Funny thing is that he also created the fragrance "Messy Sexy Rolled Just out of Bed" for the same company, which I don't know. Out of curiosity I read a few reviews about it here, and when I read the one about Parfumlein I thought: Oops, that's almost the same thing I have to say about WWDIPIS, both in terms of impressions and pictures and the dry description. But it's not sooo surprising if you look at the two scent pyramids, because they are a team like Cheops and Chephren.

I don't know what they do in Paris either. But does anyone else know "Mission à Paris" by Gruppo Sportivo?

GoldenDew
Warm shawl for winter time
It's a good choice for cold season, because of warming effect. Sweet, powdery notes are like warm shawl which give a sense of comfort and well-being when wind and rain pricking your bones. The scent is plushy, caramel. I agree that beginning is a little bit disappointing. But it is changing and finally we are staying with very interesting powdery niuances. Maybe thanks to tolu balm which gives such silky softnes.
When sb likes warmness and sweetness in perfumes (honey, vanilla) can buy without sampling
2.5

Drseid
Some Things Should Remain Secret...
What We Do In Paris Is Secret opens with with rose-like lychee before quickly transitioning to its early heart accord of light rose and slightly almond-like heliotrope florals melding with dominant powdery vanilla and slightly sweet tonka bean from the base. During the dry-down the rose vacates as the powdery vanilla slowly recedes, unveiling smooth relatively sweet tolu balsam spiked sandalwood in the base. Projection is on the low side of average and longevity is average at about 7-9 hours on skin.

Being the Dominique Ropion fan that I am, it was with great anticipation that I tried What We Do In Paris Is Secret. It is with equally great disappointment that I quickly came to realize the composition was not going to impress. While I love rose compositions in general (and the Ropion composed Portrait of a Lady in particular), powdery vanilla has proved problematic for me, and unfortunately the rose near immediately couples with the powdery vanilla to form what can only be described as a baby powder-like accord that is relatively generic and completely unimpressive. If the development stopped here, I would be completely slamming the composition as a major dud. Luckily things *don't* stop there, instead the powder finally recedes and a beautiful sandalwood and Tolu balsam tandem takes over as the starring accord through the late dry-down, with the composition turning rather smooth and appealing late. The bottom line is the $110 per 60ml bottle What We Do In Paris Is Secret is far from groundbreaking and starts off unappealing, though finishes strong earning a "good" rating of 3 stars out 5. While I ended up liking the composition, I find it difficult to recommend as you have to wait a solid three hours before getting to "the good stuff," and that is a lot to ask of the prospective wearer.

What We Do In Paris is Play with Dough and Cherry Chapstick
I may yet eat these words...not literally, but my initially take on this one- wet dough, a little bit salty and then a rather chewy jammy cherry that seems to be going to the moon- a HG of cherry marzipan until suddenly more wet uncooked dough and a waxy note. This is 'cute' but the name set my expectations in another universe. There is really no need to be secretive about making marzipan tarts at 5 am in the morning. Would I ever wear this on a hot date. Not really unless layered with something nutty, smoky or spicy. Would I wear this to work in a corporate environment- Jamais (never!). This brings up memories of Strawberry Shortcake dolls and plastic pre-school toys. Perfect gift for your favorite local Kindergarten Teacher or 5 year old daughter- with high end niche tastes. It's the salty doughiness, btw. The cherry note on this is luscious, gewy, delicious, deep and excellent, I must admit. But now that we know what it is that they are really doing in Paris...baking cherry marzipan filled pastries for school children, the patisserie secret is out! It's not so intriguing or sexy. I keep waiting for the hidden joke to manifest here. Non. Il n'est pas ici. This is Sunday school innocent and edible and sweet. Sacre Bleu! Saints Preserve Us!

Coutureguru
Ingenious? I think not ...
A ridiculously long winded name for a fragrance that could have been really special, but unfortunately just makes it to the "nice" category. The usually incredible M.Ropion has dropped the ball a little here for me ... but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't wear What We Do In Paris Is Secret.

I feel the need to substantiate that statement by saying that even though I feel slightly let down by this creation, the work of someone I consider to be a master perfumer, I do "get" it. I also rather like it and I suppose it's unfair to compare it to masterpieces like Carnal Flower and L'Elephant ... no one really knows what the circumstances of it's creation are. What disappoints somewhat is that What We Do In Paris Is Secret is rather conformist ... from a house that blatantly advertises it's ingenuity.
Nevertheless, the combination of Rose and "nutty" notes like Tonka and Tolu here are lovely, giving this frag an Almond-like feel on my skin. I detest too much fruit in fragrances so I was very wary of the Lychee in the top. It is, however, well controlled and doesn't hamper this fragrance as I thought it might. WWDIPIS is rather sweet and creamy ... no doubt a testament to serious lashings of Vanilla and Sandalwood. Does it conjure up Paris for me? No ... not in the sense that YSL's vintage Paris does, but I guess that is a Paris of yesteryear ... whereas this fragrance does lean towards the gourmand aspect of a fabulous modern patisserie. Une tasse de café à la vanille et un croissant aux amandes quelqu'un?
In it's favor, What We Do In Paris Is Secret does carry the Ropion hallmarks of superior sillage and longevity.

I'm not sure why drinking a cup of Vanilla coffee accompanied by an almond croissant would have to be kept secret, unless of course one was cheating on a diet or sharing said libation with an affaire! I do recommend trying What We Do In Paris Is Secret tho' ... it may just be surprising!

A Dominique Ropion Oeuvre de Vieillesse?
I have to confess that I am rather disappointed by A Lab on Fire WHAT WE DO IN PARIS IS SECRET, which I have worn now a couple of times. The perfume opens like a dozen different sandalwood-vanilla designer frags. Shockingly banal, actually. It does get better, but the memory of the opening is a tough hurdle to clear. I kept thinking of the slogan of which the name of this perfume appears to be a permutation: "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

I took a look at the house's website, which introduces itself thus: "We are an ingenious niche limited-production fragrance house..." Huh. Not sure that I accept their self-ascribed ingeniousness--certainly not based on this creation, by the usually masterful Dominique Ropion. Even the subtitle of the name of this house, "The Unlikely Company" sounds like a rip-off of The Different Company. I wonder whether this house is like Linari: designer frags made with expensive ingredients for people with squeamish physiology?

In any case, as WHAT WE DO... dries down, the tolu balsam and ambergris become more pronounced, at which point there is quite a bit more depth. The honey adds a nice touch, but never does this perfume approach the brilliance of Ropion's Kenzo JUNGLE L'ELEPHANT. Désolée.

by Labormaus
by JPhx
by Cologniac
by Cologniac

Popular A Lab on Fire

Messy Sexy Just Rolled Out Of Bed by A Lab on Fire Liquidnight by A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue by A Lab on Fire Paris*L.A. by A Lab on Fire California Snow by A Lab on Fire Hossegor by A Lab on Fire Hallucinogenic Pearl by A Lab on Fire Rose Rebelle Respawn by A Lab on Fire My Own Private Teahupo'o by A Lab on Fire Sweet Dreams 2003 by A Lab on Fire L'Anonyme ou OP-1475-A by A Lab on Fire Made in Heaven by A Lab on Fire Eau d'Ipanema by A Lab on Fire Rose Rebelle by A Lab on Fire A Blvd. Called Sunset by A Lab on Fire And The World Is Yours by A Lab on Fire Freckled and Beautiful by A Lab on Fire Oxymusc by A Lab on Fire One Night In Rio by A Lab on Fire What We Do Is Secret by A Lab on Fire