Violet Delirium 2020

Violet Delirium by Aaron Terence Hughes
Violet Delirium is a popular perfume by Aaron Terence Hughes for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is sweet-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesSaffronSaffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine absoluteJasmine absolute Rose absoluteRose absolute ChocolateChocolate
Base Notes Base NotesThai oudThai oud Burmese oudBurmese oud MuskMusk AmbergrisAmbergris Animalic notesAnimalic notes DirtDirt

Submitted by ExUser, last update on 17.01.2022.

0.5

D0ntpan1ck
Smells like an industrial cleaner, awful
One of the worst fragrances I've smelled, ever, in my life. The violet (or whatever it is) is so overpowering, flat, one dimensional, and smells awful. It's just an in your face smell with no sweetness, no cool "gasoline" accord, this just smells so, so bad. And it projects like a mf. You will smell this on you forever. I had the misfortune of spraying it on myself, as I thought perhaps the smell was just bad on a tester. Nah, this is awful. No hate for ATH, some of his stuff is... alright. But this one? Hell no. It smells like an industrial cleaner or something.

I can't pick out any notes, it's just an assault to the olfactory glands. This is way overpowering and so strong that it smells like it would strip the rust off of a car's exhaust. All I can think of is "black, grease, asphalt" when I smell this. Nothing sexual at all.

This one sucks. Bad. BAD. 100% trash. Not artsy, not cool, not unique and different. Just smells plain bad.
Condorpilot1
540 Baccarat Rouge the Aaron way?
Violet Delirium - in English: Violet confusion. That's roughly how the meaningful/literal translation of this exclusive 2020 release by Aaron Terrance Hughes would be. Anyway, in medicine, delirium is a state of mental confusion I have read. How this can be transformed into a fragrance, I'll let the perfumer decide :) At least that's how I would translate it... The fragrance is a special, which is currently only given away in April for orders of 150 pounds sterling or more on the website. I'm not sure if and when this fragrance will be available on a regular basis. From 150 pounds, you can get 10ml of it, from 200 pounds 50ml, from 500 pounds 50ml Violet Delirium and 50ml Celestia. *Covert advertising end*

Since I had been longing to finally try one of his fragrances anyway, I did not want to miss this offer. Meanwhile Aaron is one of the most competent perfumers YouTubers for me, an interesting personality with a lot of chemical background knowledge and a creative mind that creates his own fragrances. So I ordered Slut and Animalix from him (on which comments will follow soon) and got Violet Delirium accordingly. So far, Aaron hasn't said anything about the notebreakdown in any of his videos, so I just asked Instagram. The first answer I got from another user was that this scent has the DNA of Baccarat Rouge 540, combined with Aaron's signature dark, "dirty" notes, with rose and real oud. Lightly smoky sweetness to go with it. At first I found it quite interesting, but my first contact with BR540 was rather negative in my memory. I tested once (maybe too fast) the Extrait de Parfüm of BR540 and couldn't smell anything strange on my hand... except a short tail of spice. That was it and I didn't understand the hype about it.

What did Aaron Terrance Hughes do with this? Actually, I can't really see violets. Without looking at the pyramid of fragrance here at Parfumo, I immediately realized that there are parallels to BR540, at least in the spiciness I remembered. So the comparison of the one user was not bad at all. But you immediately notice Aaron's handwriting. He loves dark sexy notes and so he directly adds earthy patchouli. Still, the fragrance has a floral-powdery vibe. The exciting thing is that it constantly swings back and forth on my skin during the first few minutes. Sometimes it's a powdery, lighter floral day scent - in the next few seconds it becomes a masculine dark evening scent for cooler days. In fact, I can well imagine that it would be a good evening scent. It's sexy but it's by no means so dirty and obtrusive. A bit dirty yes but I think it's more of a gentle fragrance with a very pleasant floral-earthy interplay in the nose. What also strikes me is that the base notes have a very clear touch of Animalix from his collection. By far not so brutally animalic but definitely perceptible in a slimmed-down form.

Later a light smokiness is added to this. After a few minutes, a gentle natural rose comes from the background, waving and attracting attention a few times to push towards the dark and earthy part with something floral. Patchouli is not listed here but I notice it. This patchouli, however, increases in creaminess with time and becomes a chocolaty note. I read that Aaron likes to manipulate patchouli notes to create chocolate notes when combined with homemade cocoa tincture. He may have tried that here too and succeeded. Despite this light chocolate, Violet Delirium is not a gourmand! So please do not misunderstand. The oud also makes the base too woody for that.

The fragrance does not appear particularly complex in itself. However, head and heart notes last for a very long time. It takes a good 5 hours before the base gradually swallows up the rest. That's how long the slightly powdery and creamy notes can be perceived. The sillage is also strong but does not eat up everything around it. Of the three scents I now have from Aaron, this one is the most elegant scent I have ever heard. So it's a pity that it might only be produced for a limited time.

Violet Delirium seems harmonious and well made, Aaron's style is clearly recognizable but for me it tends to be more masculine rather than unisex. Maybe the name doesn't quite live up to its promise (it could have been called something like "Noir") but it's not about the name, it's about what's inside. And I really like that.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
After a airy spicy opening, this warm and creamy spicy/sweet oriental-floral Fall fragrance, settles to a gentle animalic earthy-woody base.
Amazon1975Amazon1975 2 years ago
What I get is a airy version of the dirt that underpins a lot of Aaron's stuff...ambergris oud and a chocolate patchouli note...good stuff

by Amadea70
by Amadea70

Popular by Aaron Terence Hughes

Oud (2020) by Aaron Terence Hughes Homme by Aaron Terence Hughes Onyx by Aaron Terence Hughes Luna by Aaron Terence Hughes Tabac / Tobacco, Oud & Vanilla by Aaron Terence Hughes Forbidden by Aaron Terence Hughes Onyx Extreme by Aaron Terence Hughes Ambré Extrême by Aaron Terence Hughes Notorious by Aaron Terence Hughes Boss Bastard by Aaron Terence Hughes Haze (blue) by Aaron Terence Hughes Arabica by Aaron Terence Hughes Ozone by Aaron Terence Hughes Oxytocin by Aaron Terence Hughes Boss Bitch (V.2) by Aaron Terence Hughes Daddy by Aaron Terence Hughes ATH x FM - Smoulder by Aaron Terence Hughes Haze (black) by Aaron Terence Hughes Animalix (2020) by Aaron Terence Hughes Dirty Slut by Aaron Terence Hughes