Fierce (Cologne) by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce (Cologne) is a popular perfume by Abercrombie & Fitch for men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Orange, Petitgrain, Fir resin, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesBrazilian rosewood, Oakmoss, Musk, Vetiver

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 30.05.2020.

Memories - and stories from Ü40
I was never particularly interested in fashion, but in the 2000s you couldn't help but hear about Abercrombie & Fitch. From shops where passing pedestrians feel olfactorically harassed, from models...
Anyway, two friends lived in Boston and I flew over the pond to visit them. The suitcase was only filled with the most necessary things, since it is common to buy cheap supplies in outlet stores. I also stopped by in a normal A&F store. I noticed the room smell, but found it quite pleasant, since I only knew WC lemon, car apple or over-sugared flowers. I took some T-shirts with me. And then the vacation continued in New York. A great time!
When I was back in Germany and found out that you could buy the "shop fragrance" from A&F, I ordered it directly.

I find him incredibly difficult to describe. It's fresh, but doesn't seem citrusy or aquatic. It seems slightly woody without being woody, it is filled up with flowers but without being flowery. I honestly do not smell any single components. However, it makes it totally versatile
Why he is accused of being a teen scent is probably due to marketing. But I don't understand. In my job (controller, finance, law) there are many colleagues who can be recognized by their scent. Allure, Bleu de Chanel. But also a 50-year-old boss who wears Invictus (which the ladies like, but have chosen for him - as a gift). And when I came into the office with Fierce, a colleague over 40 years old (who was 10 years older than me) asked me what I smelled like. That would be really great. So: Smell what you want!
(2009) The other day at the Abercrombie store
It is 2009, he is about to graduate from high school and is therefore attending the 12th year of a suburban high school. There are many trends that rain down on him and his clique like rain, but one is particularly challenging: owning Abercrombie clothes - or optionally Hollister clothes. So he bends down and goes to Hamburg with his friends. Why Hamburg? Well, only there is currently such a store of said brand, flooded with youth. So the day trip is planned, money is saved, train tickets are booked and off you go to the Hanseatic city.

The arrival:
As was customary at the time, you have to queue up in front of the A&F store - what did they do for fashion and consumption? After a good half an hour of waiting, one could finally enter the fashion temple. Passing the model bouncers (why were they there?), one entered the mostly darkened sales rooms and was surprised. Why? Because it smelled so amazingly different in the shops of Abercrombie. Yeah, it smelled good, like perfume, kind of. But, what store would bathe itself in perfume? *laugh*
But they actually did it! They diesel their stores from the inside with the scent to which I would like to dedicate this comment: FIERCE!

Years later:
At that time I didn't care that much about perfume and I have to honestly say that Fierce was just a room fragrance for me at first. I actually didn't know it was supposed to be a perfume. Somehow it fit into the store. However, the day should come when the trend around that brand began to weaken considerably. There were now almost everywhere shops of A&F and the market and the desire to buy was thus saturated. Also the queues in front of the shops became shorter and shorter until they finally disappeared completely. But one memory remained in me: the fragrant shop. And when I finally discovered my passion for fragrant sundries, I immediately remembered FIERCE and had to order it promt (that was about 3 years ago). I've loved him ever since, even though I know he's not that special. But memories often outweigh complexity and pomp.

Why FIERCE?
For me it is an extremely good freshy with enormous potency and a unique fragrance, which is unique for me. I actually don't find it so fresh and not so citric at all. It is quite tart and also slightly green, which is certainly due to the fir and moss. In addition to that, he has his very own character, which fits perfectly to the name, yes, he is somehow grim, wild and also untamed and unfortunately also a bit musty (therefore - 1 point). As far as its durability is concerned, I can say that it lasts 8 hours and more and the sillage is also very strong, at least I have been asked about it many times. I also think that FIERCE has no age limit, it can be worn by young and old and fits almost every occasion. Also concerning the seasons, there are no restrictions, whether summer or winter, it always goes and always looks slightly different. The only big minus is this disgustingly ugly bottle :D I think you don't have to say another word about it?

But the most beautiful thing is the memory that he awakens in me, of a time when everything was still in front of you, when youth was at its height and the last summers of complete freedom were still ahead of you. It's nice that you can bottle something like that, isn't it?
New York in summer
Summer 2006 - My first visit to New York City. I was 18, a student, and the world was mine.
I was on the road in the streets of New York with exactly this attitude. Besides a lot of museums, a visit to the UNO (I was a student with the university in NY at that time) and all the other Touri stuff, a visit to the Abercrombie Flagstore on 5th Avenue was inevitable, I would have heard so much about this shop, my expectations were accordingly high.
If you have ever visited NY in summer, you know what it smells like on the streets: the rumours are just a bunch of exhaust fumes, sweat, hot dogs and pretzels, a little salty when a breeze goes through the humid and otherwise standing air, then again a little sweet from all the department stores, suddenly it stinks of sewage again and this cycle runs through the whole stay in the city. Even if you're standing on the Empire State Building or looking at the skyline at Exchange Place in New Jersey (the latter I can only recommend to anyone who looks at NY - the view is unique and it's not touristy, sometimes I'm standing there alone!), you think you can still smell or smell it.

But if you walk up 5th Avenue on the left side towards Central Park, you will inevitably pass Abercrombie and Fitch Flagstore. Admittedly the shop looks rather unimpressive from the outside, but then, on this summer day in New York in May 2006, I suddenly smelled something on the street that my nose had never smelled before. I was literally drawn into this place. There I was, 18, young, quasi chronically broke, in the flagstore of A&F.
I bought myself a t-shirt, two jeans and a hoodie - the budget really didn't give me any more.
Arriving at the hostel in Chelsea I unpacked my booty... there it was again: this smell I had noticed on the street. A freshness, an energy, a kick I'd never smelt before. Sex to wear, I thought to myself.
I was sniffing my clothes the whole time until a fellow student asked me if I had bought Fierce. Did I buy anything? Fierce... this scent, you know, Abercrombie's.
Blue-eyed as I was, I thought the store had simply set up such incense sticks or it had been sprayed with a very unique room spray. But you could buy that?

I saved the rest of the NY stay as much as I could (and we're talking about NY here), so that at the end of the week I could buy the 50 ml bottle from Fierce. I was as proud as Oskar, it was my very first fragrance, my sex to spray on, my sanctuary.
I was so frugal with that scent, I just have to smile when I remember it. On my return flight to Munich I sprayed myself with some of the scent. During boarding I was approached for the first time by a flight attendant - 'Wow, what have you... i mean you... what's your scent?'. It worked.

Back in Munich, I often received compliments at the university for my fragrance... he was also outrageously good!
With a lot of synthetic freshness, the fragrance attracts you, with warm, woody notes it wraps you around your finger and with a gentle yet intrusive sweetness it never lets you go again. Just like I said, sex to spray on.
And my bonus: Even in Munich almost nobody knew this scent.

Fierce became my constant companion... to the university, to my student jobs, to the library, to the gym, to the bar, to the club, to the dates. Fierce was everywhere. And compliments hail from every corner. I think the highlight was a married lady who asked me if I could tell her my scent because she wanted to smell something like that on her husband.
The scent just flashed me every time I put it on, it was just my big childhood sweetheart, I'd say.

But I got older... 31, to be exact!

Today, 13 years later, after a total of 63 (!!!) stays in New York, in a long-term relationship (curiously enough with a flight attendant) and a very grounded lifestyle..... i still love Fierce (and my partner does too).
Just in November we were to Black Friday in NY and the yield consisted of two 200 ml bottles of Fierce.
I don't wear the fragrance as often as I used to, today I have a much wider selection of fragrances. But the fragrance still does something wonderful to me: it takes me back to the New York of 2006, where a young student roamed the streets of Manhattan, owned the world and the whole future was still open. When I apply the scent today, I feel exactly the same again. That's why I wear it mainly on important occasions, somehow it pushes me to expand my own limits, pushes me to grow, gives my self-confidence a certain kick (here in Switzerland we say 's Chriesi ufem Glace', the cherry on the ice, or better: the dot on the i) and sometimes I even think the scent does something with my posture.

I'm still being addressed when I wear this scent. Not so often anymore, yes, of course, everyone knows him by now, but nevertheless, there is always a nice word about Fierce. My partner loves the scent, some colleagues call me Mr. Abercrombie and for me this scent is definitely my personal flagship, maybe even my signature scent.

Clear, durability and sillage are no longer as strong as with a Dior Sauvage EDP or an Ombre Leather from TF, but these fragrances are not time machines that can take me back in time.

Today I'm 31, love this fragrance and if you believe the feedbacks give, the people love the fragrance at me.

Thank you, Fierce - you are my first great love!
the fresh youthful sin
the last word in the title should not be taken literally here, because "sin" is perhaps the wrong word here. Much more I still float in heavenly memory when I give a small splash on the back of my hand from the last few ml of my older bottle to smell it test.
Fierce was one of my first perfumes and at that time a gift that started my interest in good fragrances & the whole thing developed more towards a hobby. My bottle from 2012 (I must confess, I don't know the older ones and have never tried them anywhere - unfortunately) is only filled with a few milliliters and I always think I just have to save the last of them - even if it's not for a special occasion, but rather for myself to travel back in my mind.

Since I have a few fragrances and a fine nose, I am not a friend to enumerate and describe the fragrances with all their notes, because I think that makes the description of the fragrance too "impersonal". I like it a lot more when you classify a fragrance by application scenario, this way even the freshest perfume newbie can do something with it.

For me, Fierce is "signature-scent worthy" as they say in English - despite its quite "generic" fragrance DNA, I haven't really smelled anything yet that could replace the old Fierce for me. Also like many people think, the First Instinct Blue is very similar to it, but for me it's quite a bit away from it.
It is a citrus-like, peppery freshness, which is underlined with a somewhat rough sweetness. Fierce can actually be worn all year round, although I personally would rather use it for spring, early summer and the beginning of autumn. This fragrance is worn with casual wear but also dressed-up in a white shirt with suit trousers, I can imagine this fragrance particularly charming. In the office, however, rather too intrusive, at least the formulation I have would be too intense or too stabbing for that (whereby "stabbing" here is by no means negative, only in a very small space it can be quite too intrusive for one or the other).

Well, why haven't I got myself a supply of this wonderful perfume yet, I'm sure one or the other is wondering now, since Fierce is still available everywhere.
A few weeks ago I hit a campaign and bought myself a 100ml bottle - this was certainly not a fake and it was the original. However, the newer formulations are simply so aqueous that it is difficult or even impossible to imagine the original DNA. I applied about 10 sprüst shots and stayed inside. After approx. 2 hours there was absolutely nothing more to be noticed by the smell and also right from the beginning it was somehow, as if I would spray water on me. Too bad, with my old formulation (older vintages were apparently still much more intensive) the smell with 3-4 sprayers was approx. 8 hours durable and one had a relatively good projection & Sillage - with the new ones hardly still, too bad for the money.
Until now, the relatively high price for which Fierce is already traded had prevented me from buying old bottlings. Maybe I will overcome myself to it sometime, but until then he remains probably more in memory than on my skin.

Don't confuse Crimes with Scents
Who could have prognosticated a clothing company associated with insipid, narcissistic teens would have produced one of the best adult male perfumes ever. Probably the most recognizable scent of all time and I kind of hate it for that because it smells so freaking good. A cologne that every popular teenager has or did have, and linked to many terrible crimes on the campus of many colleges. But that does not matter. Ok, I am 54 years old, and I know that A&F rotates towards a younger demographic. But this fragrance is fantastic. Fierce was a blind buy based on reviews, and I visited many sites and forums before buying it, too many, I would say. Since I have another A&F cologne, South California, or SoCal to be precise, which I adore, I ultimately bought it.

I didn't expect Fierce to be wrong, nor did I suppose to love it. Yes, it met my expectations, but I like it better than I thought I would.
To my surprise, the first time I smelt it, I felt dark woody feeling, somehow I was not thrilled with the purchase. Fierce is citrus aromatic, fougère, woody, spicy, and resinous. Its opening is a competent citrus accord with a bit of warming spice, the cardamom I reckon, and a generous dose of resinous fir balsam. The overture has a citrusy mossy aspect that remains throughout the fragrance life. However, you don't indeed detect any overcast citrus as say the scent of an orange or a lemon. It's not sugary nor tart by any means but instead bares those tendencies of citrus without actually smelling as though. It's hard to explain.

Then after a while, I started to feel the sweet notes, the jasmine, lily of the valley, and the incredible rose. It was not such a bad smell.
Its textured floral central level is masculine enough, and the touch of aromatic and green rosemary adds considerably to the depth of the fragrance by cooling the warm florals.

I enjoy the base and make special note of the rosewood and oakmoss. Oh man, it's a pleasure to find those two modernly unpopular notes used so well in this kind of fragrance. The light musk and hint of vetiver remain under the dominant and oppressive woody notes along with the not tart and unsweetened citrus moss. It's quite beautiful and by far the most woody fragrance I've ever smelled and also the sharpest wood fragrance I've ever sniffed.

Day after day, I started to fall in love with this fragrance, I was sniffing the bottle every 15 minutes 20 times a day maybe more. I become addicted to sniffing. But then the feeling started to decrease. I still when I wear this I feel it every way I go 7 hours minimum with few sprays only. But the first days will stay with me forever; one sniffing from the bottle was enough to feel the smell 3-4 hours all way out, like a considerable emotion. I have several niche fragrances, but I keep coming back to Fierce.

That said, the scent is woody aromatic for cold romantic autumn and spring nights. Sillage is excellent, and longevity is outstanding. I can breathe this on my dresses the next day.

Anyone from a youth to an adult up to the age of 50 can pull this off, even though I don't think anyone over 25 would try this out, and it's a darn shame! Maybe the fact that all the teens are wearing this does not understand the concept of over-applying cologne that has ruined this scent for you. A timeless cologne doesn't have an age group on it; any man can wear this fragrance at any age. Spray it on your hand, walk around, and see what you might think of it then. You might be surprised! Overall rating from me, buy it, you won't be disappointed. Fierce has set a new standard of excellence in the world of fragrance that few colognes can match.

-Elysium

MkpunkMkpunk 3 years ago
A men's classic that smells similar to Curve but less plastic. It is a titan in men's fragrances. It is a people pleaser but so recognizable
ElysiumElysium 4 years ago
Definitely a subtle scent, either you love or hate it. Powerful zesty notes start it off, aromatic in between, and dies down into rose-musky!

by R0din
by R0din
by FrankyZolano
by FrankyZolano
Vintage Fierce aus den USA ca. 2007 (Version mit roter Schrift wurde nie ausserhalb den USA verkauft)
by Rox96
by Moriarty
by NiFu93
by NiFu93

Popular Abercrombie & Fitch

Woods (1997) (Cologne) by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Man (Eau de Toilette) by Abercrombie & Fitch Authentic Man by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Extreme by Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Intense by Abercrombie & Fitch Authentic Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch Batch No. 46 by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Blue Man by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch Private Selection - Oud Amour by Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Confidence by Abercrombie & Fitch Woods (2010) by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Blue Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch 8 by Abercrombie & Fitch Private Selection - Oud Essence by Abercrombie & Fitch A&F 1892 Red by Abercrombie & Fitch Ellwood - White Bergamot by Abercrombie & Fitch Private Selection - Oud Nuit by Abercrombie & Fitch A&F 1892 Yellow by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Sheer by Abercrombie & Fitch