Fierce 2002 Cologne

Fierce (Cologne) by Abercrombie & Fitch
Fierce (Cologne) is a popular perfume by Abercrombie & Fitch for men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCardamomCardamom
OrangeOrange
PetitgrainPetitgrain
Fir resinFir resin
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
RoseRose
RosemaryRosemary
Base Notes Base NotesBrazilian rosewoodBrazilian rosewood
OakmossOakmoss
MuskMusk
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 19.08.2021.

ColorsOfNose
The scent from the land of unlimited possibilities
Florida in the mid-2000s,
I stroll past the flagship stores of the big brands and suddenly it smells very young and fresh with some sophisticated woody spicy notes from a newly opened store. There are two young men standing in front of it with their bare well-toned torsos, beckoning us in. Fierce still gives me that feeling of casualness and modernity today, without becoming one of those sweet scents. It transports me back to the 2000s every time I wear it, immersing me in the world of confident trendy teens. Until the first fragrance cloud flies away and reality catches up with me again :)
America feeling
In advance, he is for men but I as a woman love him anyway.

The first time in an Abercrombie & Fitch store was in San Francisco. The whole store smelled pleasantly fresh.
A few parts found and bought. Unpacked in the hotel, came to me again this fresh scent in the nose.
The scent smells like a freshly showered man. Probably by the delicious rosemary note.

It doesn't smell strong, but subliminally it's always there.

I got my husband this fragrance last year. He is an absolute favorite of both of us. Whenever he wears it, I remember my trip to America.
Flash Commentary: Aberzombie & Flittch
CHAPTER

No, this has nothing to do with wool. Here I just wanted to explain that I have actually fangelt (subtle allusion to the origin of the company!) this fragrance (thank you, Flaconesse!) to review it as part of one of my Cologne series. It's also called Cologne, but despite the stated citric notes and rosemary, it presents itself as absolutely not connectable to any of the typical colognistic clans, which is why I'm treating it as an uncologne (subtle allusion to the undead from the title) and commenting on it separately.

CORPORATE

I was previously only vaguely familiar with the Abercrombie & Fitch brand by name. The research collective I specially commissioned, Wiki & Pedia, determined that this was, in origin, a New York company that was initially involved primarily in the sale of fishing tackle and then, before the war, in the importation of mah-jongg games from China. The company then went under (no wonder with such erratic thematic politics), with only the company name hawked separately, and then, after all sorts of obscure capitalist transformations, at some point mutated back into a separate company, primarily for clothing.

Apparently it is one of those companies that is fully aware of its environmental, social and ethical responsibilities, as it hit the headlines for complaints about, among other things, excessive odour nuisance from clouds of perfume billowing from its stores, exploitative manufacturing conditions for its clothes in Bangladesh and the sale of thongs for 10-year-olds.
CAPUT

Looking at the bottle, the first thing that stands out is that it is shaped like a man with a wooden head. Only upon careful examination does it become apparent that the cylindrical artifact at the top of the bottle is precisely not this person's thinking cap, but merely a cap.

The person depicted (torso) is Leberecht-Baptist Schlönzke, the long-standing chief executive of the Oberlausitz district group of the Deutsche Kant-Gesellschaft e.V.

After leaving the association in the bitter (to which the name "Fierce" alludes) dispute over the question of whether a transcendental aesthetics in the sense of the Critique of Pure Reason could also be conceived if space and time did not claim validity precisely as a priori sensory views, he turned to a second career as a model as an act of rebellion.

The shutter-head idea, as is well known, represents an allusion to the novella "the swapped heads" by Thomas Mann (1940).

COLOGNE

I find the scent really, really, really awful, unfortunately. I am him, I can only assure, unprejudiced faced and felt in no way the inner need to kick him because of his somewhat chavvy Daherkommen in the barrel. On the contrary, I actually find it quite funny, and I like the name "Fierce" too.

Still, for the life of me, I can't agree with the benevolent assessments (e.g. Pollita, Leimbacher, Val), but sign with gusto with the condemnation faction (e.g. Terra) or cum grano salis with the midfield skeptics (e.g. Parma, Salva, Basti87).

Fierce performs moderately (weak would have been clearly preferable). The actually not so terribly long shelf life stretches, however, by the complete linearity of the fragrance in combination with its horribly penetrating unimaginativeness to a perceived eternity.

In terms of content, this aberzombie impresses with an inescapably moronic grinning at the wearer, tightly screwed and doweled apparatus of a truly vicious aquatic shower gel-freshness soup (which, in contrast to the naturalness and beauty pretending fragrance note statements such as "fir resin", "cardamom" and "rosewood" seem like cynical kicks in the face) with generic-mean spices that only make it seem more penetrating (yes, penetrating) and cheaply bombastic florals that only make it seem more cloying.

CONTRAST

It was for me - I assure all who like this fragrance of my sincere respect - in testing this liquefact a traumatizing olfactory experience that awakens the need to reassure oneself elsewhere in the world that there is still such a thing as the true, good and beautiful

So tonight, even though I found her gestures a bit too pathetic, I will have to watch the wonderful Amanda Gorman's poetry recital in full again.
You can't go wrong
At the beginning very penetrating, it develops in the course to a very pleasant summer scent that always goes. H/S are top. He radiates sympathy and attractiveness for me. The brand, which in my opinion has a rather negative connotation (sexy men with naked upper bellies that 15 year olds run after), unfortunately brands the perfume. I would still give it a chance though.
Back in the UK!
A fragrance from 2002 that catapults me back to 2001? Does that exist? Yes, it really exists! Because the legendary Fierce, which seems to have achieved cult status on Parfumo, was not the first of its kind.

Such a fresh, pleasant fragrance, which radiates cleanliness and a certain youthfulness, was very popular in Great Britain in 2001. In fact, I suspect there were several fragrances that went in this direction, as I could perceive this kind of fresh synthetic with citrus, a very delicate floral note, fine green tones and some wood and musk with a pleasant vetiver note in the finish almost everywhere in the UK this year. Whether on the train, at the university, in a club or in a dormitory. Especially with the younger men such a fragrance per se was part of it.

When I left in January 2001 to study in Great Britain, Mr. Pollito accompanied me for a week and then came to visit me at regular intervals. As far as the student budget in the expensive United Kingdom allowed. Almost every time he arrived without luggage, which was always missing when changing planes at Brussels airport. So it happened that we had to cover him with new things almost every time. As his toilet bag had also gone missing, he needed at least one deodorant and decided to buy one from Boots for fcuk. And of course this one also smelled like Fierce. He liked that, because he also wanted to wear a scent like the locals.

I must confess, I've never been to an Abercrombie store. During this time, branded clothes were totally unexciting for me, as I only had Wave and Gothic in my mind and therefore I was more into dark velvet dresses, silver jewellery and the like. I was also bothered by the fact that this brand only appealed to a particularly beautiful and rich clientele. For me, as a follower of the black guild, such a thing was unthinkable, because tolerance was always very important here. Therefore, this fragrance was not known to me until today.

Yes, stop. Of course I know him. Even if not as Fierce. Because that's what UK 2001.

Many thanks to Medianus76 for the sample.
The pond in the forest
This fresh, mossy green, woodsy and a little bit aquatic scent fascinates me every time anew. It reminds me of a small pond in our forest, when the wind brushes the fir trees and the fresh and juicy moss gently gives way when you walk on it. The dark water has something enchanted, magical. Just like Fierce. When reading the scents I expected a fresh summer scent with a green hint. But I wondered where the scent got this seductive legend status and why it was hyped for years. Two weeks ago I was in Düsseldorf, so I went into the store and bought a bottle. Sprayed on at home and indeed, the scent has something indescribable. It was wonderful, I immediately remembered my beautiful home, but suddenly there was something else......Deja Vus and memories in general are powerful factors of our psyche, but paired with musk and this woody, dark and "dangerous" masculine green note of this fragrance they seem to be a reason for its success. I don't think it is a pure youth fragrance, even if I am under 20 myself, in my opinion every man can wear this fragrance and if it is still available, it will always find its way into my collection. Of course I don't know the vintage version, but the current Fierce is great for me. H+S could be better.
That's my first comment, please bear with me. And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the forest again...
Memories - and stories from Ü40
I was never particularly interested in fashion, but in the 2000s you couldn't help but hear about Abercrombie & Fitch. From shops where passing pedestrians feel olfactorically harassed, from models...
Anyway, two friends lived in Boston and I flew over the pond to visit them. The suitcase was only filled with the most necessary things, since it is common to buy cheap supplies in outlet stores. I also stopped by in a normal A&F store. I noticed the room smell, but found it quite pleasant, since I only knew WC lemon, car apple or over-sugared flowers. I took some T-shirts with me. And then the vacation continued in New York. A great time!
When I was back in Germany and found out that you could buy the "shop fragrance" from A&F, I ordered it directly.

I find him incredibly difficult to describe. It's fresh, but doesn't seem citrusy or aquatic. It seems slightly woody without being woody, it is filled up with flowers but without being flowery. I honestly do not smell any single components. However, it makes it totally versatile
Why he is accused of being a teen scent is probably due to marketing. But I don't understand. In my job (controller, finance, law) there are many colleagues who can be recognized by their scent. Allure, Bleu de Chanel. But also a 50-year-old boss who wears Invictus (which the ladies like, but have chosen for him - as a gift). And when I came into the office with Fierce, a colleague over 40 years old (who was 10 years older than me) asked me what I smelled like. That would be really great. So: Smell what you want!
(2009) The other day at the Abercrombie store
It is 2009, he is about to graduate from high school and is therefore attending the 12th year of a suburban high school. There are many trends that rain down on him and his clique like rain, but one is particularly challenging: owning Abercrombie clothes - or optionally Hollister clothes. So he bends down and goes to Hamburg with his friends. Why Hamburg? Well, only there is currently such a store of said brand, flooded with youth. So the day trip is planned, money is saved, train tickets are booked and off you go to the Hanseatic city.

The arrival:
As was customary at the time, you have to queue up in front of the A&F store - what did they do for fashion and consumption? After a good half an hour of waiting, one could finally enter the fashion temple. Passing the model bouncers (why were they there?), one entered the mostly darkened sales rooms and was surprised. Why? Because it smelled so amazingly different in the shops of Abercrombie. Yeah, it smelled good, like perfume, kind of. But, what store would bathe itself in perfume? *laugh*
But they actually did it! They diesel their stores from the inside with the scent to which I would like to dedicate this comment: FIERCE!

Years later:
At that time I didn't care that much about perfume and I have to honestly say that Fierce was just a room fragrance for me at first. I actually didn't know it was supposed to be a perfume. Somehow it fit into the store. However, the day should come when the trend around that brand began to weaken considerably. There were now almost everywhere shops of A&F and the market and the desire to buy was thus saturated. Also the queues in front of the shops became shorter and shorter until they finally disappeared completely. But one memory remained in me: the fragrant shop. And when I finally discovered my passion for fragrant sundries, I immediately remembered FIERCE and had to order it promt (that was about 3 years ago). I've loved him ever since, even though I know he's not that special. But memories often outweigh complexity and pomp.

Why FIERCE?
For me it is an extremely good freshy with enormous potency and a unique fragrance, which is unique for me. I actually don't find it so fresh and not so citric at all. It is quite tart and also slightly green, which is certainly due to the fir and moss. In addition to that, he has his very own character, which fits perfectly to the name, yes, he is somehow grim, wild and also untamed and unfortunately also a bit musty (therefore - 1 point). As far as its durability is concerned, I can say that it lasts 8 hours and more and the sillage is also very strong, at least I have been asked about it many times. I also think that FIERCE has no age limit, it can be worn by young and old and fits almost every occasion. Also concerning the seasons, there are no restrictions, whether summer or winter, it always goes and always looks slightly different. The only big minus is this disgustingly ugly bottle :D I think you don't have to say another word about it?

But the most beautiful thing is the memory that he awakens in me, of a time when everything was still in front of you, when youth was at its height and the last summers of complete freedom were still ahead of you. It's nice that you can bottle something like that, isn't it?
New York in summer
Summer 2006 - My first visit to New York City. I was 18, a student, and the world was mine.
I was on the road in the streets of New York with exactly this attitude. Besides a lot of museums, a visit to the UNO (I was a student with the university in NY at that time) and all the other Touri stuff, a visit to the Abercrombie Flagstore on 5th Avenue was inevitable, I would have heard so much about this shop, my expectations were accordingly high.
If you have ever visited NY in summer, you know what it smells like on the streets: the rumours are just a bunch of exhaust fumes, sweat, hot dogs and pretzels, a little salty when a breeze goes through the humid and otherwise standing air, then again a little sweet from all the department stores, suddenly it stinks of sewage again and this cycle runs through the whole stay in the city. Even if you're standing on the Empire State Building or looking at the skyline at Exchange Place in New Jersey (the latter I can only recommend to anyone who looks at NY - the view is unique and it's not touristy, sometimes I'm standing there alone!), you think you can still smell or smell it.

But if you walk up 5th Avenue on the left side towards Central Park, you will inevitably pass Abercrombie and Fitch Flagstore. Admittedly the shop looks rather unimpressive from the outside, but then, on this summer day in New York in May 2006, I suddenly smelled something on the street that my nose had never smelled before. I was literally drawn into this place. There I was, 18, young, quasi chronically broke, in the flagstore of A&F.
I bought myself a t-shirt, two jeans and a hoodie - the budget really didn't give me any more.
Arriving at the hostel in Chelsea I unpacked my booty... there it was again: this smell I had noticed on the street. A freshness, an energy, a kick I'd never smelt before. Sex to wear, I thought to myself.
I was sniffing my clothes the whole time until a fellow student asked me if I had bought Fierce. Did I buy anything? Fierce... this scent, you know, Abercrombie's.
Blue-eyed as I was, I thought the store had simply set up such incense sticks or it had been sprayed with a very unique room spray. But you could buy that?

I saved the rest of the NY stay as much as I could (and we're talking about NY here), so that at the end of the week I could buy the 50 ml bottle from Fierce. I was as proud as Oskar, it was my very first fragrance, my sex to spray on, my sanctuary.
I was so frugal with that scent, I just have to smile when I remember it. On my return flight to Munich I sprayed myself with some of the scent. During boarding I was approached for the first time by a flight attendant - 'Wow, what have you... i mean you... what's your scent?'. It worked.

Back in Munich, I often received compliments at the university for my fragrance... he was also outrageously good!
With a lot of synthetic freshness, the fragrance attracts you, with warm, woody notes it wraps you around your finger and with a gentle yet intrusive sweetness it never lets you go again. Just like I said, sex to spray on.
And my bonus: Even in Munich almost nobody knew this scent.

Fierce became my constant companion... to the university, to my student jobs, to the library, to the gym, to the bar, to the club, to the dates. Fierce was everywhere. And compliments hail from every corner. I think the highlight was a married lady who asked me if I could tell her my scent because she wanted to smell something like that on her husband.
The scent just flashed me every time I put it on, it was just my big childhood sweetheart, I'd say.

But I got older... 31, to be exact!

Today, 13 years later, after a total of 63 (!!!) stays in New York, in a long-term relationship (curiously enough with a flight attendant) and a very grounded lifestyle..... i still love Fierce (and my partner does too).
Just in November we were to Black Friday in NY and the yield consisted of two 200 ml bottles of Fierce.
I don't wear the fragrance as often as I used to, today I have a much wider selection of fragrances. But the fragrance still does something wonderful to me: it takes me back to the New York of 2006, where a young student roamed the streets of Manhattan, owned the world and the whole future was still open. When I apply the scent today, I feel exactly the same again. That's why I wear it mainly on important occasions, somehow it pushes me to expand my own limits, pushes me to grow, gives my self-confidence a certain kick (here in Switzerland we say 's Chriesi ufem Glace', the cherry on the ice, or better: the dot on the i) and sometimes I even think the scent does something with my posture.

I'm still being addressed when I wear this scent. Not so often anymore, yes, of course, everyone knows him by now, but nevertheless, there is always a nice word about Fierce. My partner loves the scent, some colleagues call me Mr. Abercrombie and for me this scent is definitely my personal flagship, maybe even my signature scent.

Clear, durability and sillage are no longer as strong as with a Dior Sauvage EDP or an Ombre Leather from TF, but these fragrances are not time machines that can take me back in time.

Today I'm 31, love this fragrance and if you believe the feedbacks give, the people love the fragrance at me.

Thank you, Fierce - you are my first great love!
the fresh youthful sin
the last word in the title should not be taken literally here, because "sin" is perhaps the wrong word here. Much more I still float in heavenly memory when I give a small splash on the back of my hand from the last few ml of my older bottle to smell it test.
Fierce was one of my first perfumes and at that time a gift that started my interest in good fragrances & the whole thing developed more towards a hobby. My bottle from 2012 (I must confess, I don't know the older ones and have never tried them anywhere - unfortunately) is only filled with a few milliliters and I always think I just have to save the last of them - even if it's not for a special occasion, but rather for myself to travel back in my mind.

Since I have a few fragrances and a fine nose, I am not a friend to enumerate and describe the fragrances with all their notes, because I think that makes the description of the fragrance too "impersonal". I like it a lot more when you classify a fragrance by application scenario, this way even the freshest perfume newbie can do something with it.

For me, Fierce is "signature-scent worthy" as they say in English - despite its quite "generic" fragrance DNA, I haven't really smelled anything yet that could replace the old Fierce for me. Also like many people think, the First Instinct Blue is very similar to it, but for me it's quite a bit away from it.
It is a citrus-like, peppery freshness, which is underlined with a somewhat rough sweetness. Fierce can actually be worn all year round, although I personally would rather use it for spring, early summer and the beginning of autumn. This fragrance is worn with casual wear but also dressed-up in a white shirt with suit trousers, I can imagine this fragrance particularly charming. In the office, however, rather too intrusive, at least the formulation I have would be too intense or too stabbing for that (whereby "stabbing" here is by no means negative, only in a very small space it can be quite too intrusive for one or the other).

Well, why haven't I got myself a supply of this wonderful perfume yet, I'm sure one or the other is wondering now, since Fierce is still available everywhere.
A few weeks ago I hit a campaign and bought myself a 100ml bottle - this was certainly not a fake and it was the original. However, the newer formulations are simply so aqueous that it is difficult or even impossible to imagine the original DNA. I applied about 10 sprüst shots and stayed inside. After approx. 2 hours there was absolutely nothing more to be noticed by the smell and also right from the beginning it was somehow, as if I would spray water on me. Too bad, with my old formulation (older vintages were apparently still much more intensive) the smell with 3-4 sprayers was approx. 8 hours durable and one had a relatively good projection & Sillage - with the new ones hardly still, too bad for the money.
Until now, the relatively high price for which Fierce is already traded had prevented me from buying old bottlings. Maybe I will overcome myself to it sometime, but until then he remains probably more in memory than on my skin.

EdP4hommeEdP4homme 12 months ago
The horror! BEST blue fragrance ever butchered from a beast to a very bad performing watered down designer lemon vodka.
GreMuserGreMuser 1 year ago
Wear it only if you're in your twenties, please.
MkpunkMkpunk 4 years ago
A men's classic that smells similar to Curve but less plastic. It is a titan in men's fragrances. It is a people pleaser but so recognizable
ElysiumElysium 5 years ago
Definitely a subtle scent, either you love or hate it. Powerful zesty notes start it off, aromatic in between, and dies down into rose-musky!

by R0din
by Moriarty
by NiFu93
by NiFu93

Popular Abercrombie & Fitch

Authentic Man by Abercrombie & Fitch Batch No. 46 by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Man (Eau de Toilette) by Abercrombie & Fitch Woods (1997) (Cologne) by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Extreme by Abercrombie & Fitch Authentic Night Man by Abercrombie & Fitch Authentic Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Intense by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Blue Man by Abercrombie & Fitch Private Selection - Oud Amour by Abercrombie & Fitch Authentic Night Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Together Man by Abercrombie & Fitch Woods (2010) by Abercrombie & Fitch 8 by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Blue Woman by Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Confidence by Abercrombie & Fitch Perfume No. 1 by Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Sheer by Abercrombie & Fitch 1892 by Abercrombie & Fitch