Fierce (2002) Cologne

Fierce (Cologne) by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce (Cologne) is a popular perfume by Abercrombie & Fitch for men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Orange, Petitgrain, Fir resin, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesRosewood, Oakmoss, Musk, Vetiver

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 01.08.2019

5.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

New York in summer
Summer 2006 - My first visit to New York City. I was 18, a student, and the world was mine.
I was on the road in the streets of New York with exactly this attitude. Besides a lot of museums, a visit to the UNO (I was a student with the university in NY at that time) and all the other Touri stuff, a visit to the Abercrombie Flagstore on 5th Avenue was inevitable, I would have heard so much about this shop, my expectations were accordingly high.
If you have ever visited NY in summer, you know what it smells like on the streets: the rumours are just a bunch of exhaust fumes, sweat, hot dogs and pretzels, a little salty when a breeze goes through the humid and otherwise standing air, then again a little sweet from all the department stores, suddenly it stinks of sewage again and this cycle runs through the whole stay in the city. Even if you're standing on the Empire State Building or looking at the skyline at Exchange Place in New Jersey (the latter I can only recommend to anyone who looks at NY - the view is unique and it's not touristy, sometimes I'm standing there alone!), you think you can still smell or smell it.

But if you walk up 5th Avenue on the left side towards Central Park, you will inevitably pass Abercrombie and Fitch Flagstore. Admittedly the shop looks rather unimpressive from the outside, but then, on this summer day in New York in May 2006, I suddenly smelled something on the street that my nose had never smelled before. I was literally drawn into this place. There I was, 18, young, quasi chronically broke, in the flagstore of A&F.
I bought myself a t-shirt, two jeans and a hoodie - the budget really didn't give me any more.
Arriving at the hostel in Chelsea I unpacked my booty... there it was again: this smell I had noticed on the street. A freshness, an energy, a kick I'd never smelt before. Sex to wear, I thought to myself.
I was sniffing my clothes the whole time until a fellow student asked me if I had bought Fierce. Did I buy anything? Fierce... this scent, you know, Abercrombie's.
Blue-eyed as I was, I thought the store had simply set up such incense sticks or it had been sprayed with a very unique room spray. But you could buy that?

I saved the rest of the NY stay as much as I could (and we're talking about NY here), so that at the end of the week I could buy the 50 ml bottle from Fierce. I was as proud as Oskar, it was my very first fragrance, my sex to spray on, my sanctuary.
I was so frugal with that scent, I just have to smile when I remember it. On my return flight to Munich I sprayed myself with some of the scent. During boarding I was approached for the first time by a flight attendant - 'Wow, what have you... i mean you... what's your scent?'. It worked.

Back in Munich, I often received compliments at the university for my fragrance... he was also outrageously good!
With a lot of synthetic freshness, the fragrance attracts you, with warm, woody notes it wraps you around your finger and with a gentle yet intrusive sweetness it never lets you go again. Just like I said, sex to spray on.
And my bonus: Even in Munich almost nobody knew this scent.

Fierce became my constant companion... to the university, to my student jobs, to the library, to the gym, to the bar, to the club, to the dates. Fierce was everywhere. And compliments hail from every corner. I think the highlight was a married lady who asked me if I could tell her my scent because she wanted to smell something like that on her husband.
The scent just flashed me every time I put it on, it was just my big childhood sweetheart, I'd say.

But I got older... 31, to be exact!

Today, 13 years later, after a total of 63 (!!!) stays in New York, in a long-term relationship (curiously enough with a flight attendant) and a very grounded lifestyle..... i still love Fierce (and my partner does too).
Just in November we were to Black Friday in NY and the yield consisted of two 200 ml bottles of Fierce.
I don't wear the fragrance as often as I used to, today I have a much wider selection of fragrances. But the fragrance still does something wonderful to me: it takes me back to the New York of 2006, where a young student roamed the streets of Manhattan, owned the world and the whole future was still open. When I apply the scent today, I feel exactly the same again. That's why I wear it mainly on important occasions, somehow it pushes me to expand my own limits, pushes me to grow, gives my self-confidence a certain kick (here in Switzerland we say 's Chriesi ufem Glace', the cherry on the ice, or better: the dot on the i) and sometimes I even think the scent does something with my posture.

I'm still being addressed when I wear this scent. Not so often anymore, yes, of course, everyone knows him by now, but nevertheless, there is always a nice word about Fierce. My partner loves the scent, some colleagues call me Mr. Abercrombie and for me this scent is definitely my personal flagship, maybe even my signature scent.

Clear, durability and sillage are no longer as strong as with a Dior Sauvage EDP or an Ombre Leather from TF, but these fragrances are not time machines that can take me back in time.

Today I'm 31, love this fragrance and if you believe the feedbacks give, the people love the fragrance at me.

Thank you, Fierce - you are my first great love!

the fresh youthful sin
the last word in the title should not be taken literally here, because "sin" is perhaps the wrong word here. Much more I still float in heavenly memory when I give a small splash on the back of my hand from the last few ml of my older bottle to smell it test.
Fierce was one of my first perfumes and at that time a gift that started my interest in good fragrances & the whole thing developed more towards a hobby. My bottle from 2012 (I must confess, I don't know the older ones and have never tried them anywhere - unfortunately) is only filled with a few milliliters and I always think I just have to save the last of them - even if it's not for a special occasion, but rather for myself to travel back in my mind.

Since I have a few fragrances and a fine nose, I am not a friend to enumerate and describe the fragrances with all their notes, because I think that makes the description of the fragrance too "impersonal". I like it a lot more when you classify a fragrance by application scenario, this way even the freshest perfume newbie can do something with it.

For me, Fierce is "signature-scent worthy" as they say in English - despite its quite "generic" fragrance DNA, I haven't really smelled anything yet that could replace the old Fierce for me. Also like many people think, the First Instinct Blue is very similar to it, but for me it's quite a bit away from it.
It is a citrus-like, peppery freshness, which is underlined with a somewhat rough sweetness. Fierce can actually be worn all year round, although I personally would rather use it for spring, early summer and the beginning of autumn. This fragrance is worn with casual wear but also dressed-up in a white shirt with suit trousers, I can imagine this fragrance particularly charming. In the office, however, rather too intrusive, at least the formulation I have would be too intense or too stabbing for that (whereby "stabbing" here is by no means negative, only in a very small space it can be quite too intrusive for one or the other).

Well, why haven't I got myself a supply of this wonderful perfume yet, I'm sure one or the other is wondering now, since Fierce is still available everywhere.
A few weeks ago I hit a campaign and bought myself a 100ml bottle - this was certainly not a fake and it was the original. However, the newer formulations are simply so aqueous that it is difficult or even impossible to imagine the original DNA. I applied about 10 sprüst shots and stayed inside. After approx. 2 hours there was absolutely nothing more to be noticed by the smell and also right from the beginning it was somehow, as if I would spray water on me. Too bad, with my old formulation (older vintages were apparently still much more intensive) the smell with 3-4 sprayers was approx. 8 hours durable and one had a relatively good projection & Sillage - with the new ones hardly still, too bad for the money.
Until now, the relatively high price for which Fierce is already traded had prevented me from buying old bottlings. Maybe I will overcome myself to it sometime, but until then he remains probably more in memory than on my skin.
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Don't confuse Crimes with Scents
Who could have prognosticated a clothing company associated with insipid, narcissistic teens would have produced one of the best adult male perfumes ever. Probably the most recognisable scent of all time and I kind of hate it for that because it smells so freaking good. A cologne that every popular teenager has or did have, and linked to many terrible crimes on the campus of many colleges. But that does not matter. Ok, I am 54 years old, and I know that A&F rotates towards a younger demographic. But this fragrance is absolutely fantastic. Fierce was a blind buy based on reviews, and I visited many sites and forums before buying it, too many I would say. Since I have another A&F cologne, South California or SoCal to be precise, which I adore, I ultimately bought it.

I didn’t expect Fierce to be wrong, nor did I suppose to love it. Yes, it met my expectations, but I like it better than I thought I would.
With my surprise, the first time I smelt it I felt dark woody feeling, somehow I was not thrilled with the purchase. Fierce is citrus aromatic, fougère, woody, spicy, and resinous. Its opening is a competent citrus accord with a bit of warming spice, the cardamom I reckon, and a generous dose of resinous fir balsam. The overture has a citrusy mossy aspect that remains throughout the fragrance life. However, you don't indeed detect any overcast citrus as say the scent of an orange or a lemon. It's not sugary nor tart by any means but instead bares those tendencies of citrus without actually smelling as though. It's hard to explain.

Then after a while, I started to feel the sweet notes, the jasmine, lily of the valley and the incredible rose. It was not such a bad smell.
Its textured floral central level is masculine enough, and the touch of aromatic and green rosemary adds considerably to the depth of the fragrance by cooling the warm florals.

I enjoy the base and make special note of the rosewood and oakmoss. Oh man, it’s a pleasure to find those two modernly unpopular notes used so well in this kind of fragrance. The light musk and hint of vetiver remain under the dominant and heavy woody notes along with the not tart and unsweetened citrus moss. It's quite beautiful and by far the most woody fragrance I've ever smelled and also the sharpest wood fragrance I've ever sniffed.

Day after day I started to fall in love with this fragrance, I was sniffing the bottle every 15 minutes 20 times a day maybe more. I become addicted to the sniffing. But then the feeling started to decrease. I still when I wear this I feel it every way I go 7 hours minimum with few sprays only. But the first days will stay with me forever one sniffing from the bottle was enough to feel the smell 3-4 hours all way out, like a considerable emotion. I have several niche fragrances, but I keep coming back to Fierce.

That said, the scent is woody aromatic for cold romantic autumn and spring nights. Sillage is excellent, and longevity is outstanding. I can breathe this on my dresses the next day.

Anyone from a youth to an adult up to the age of 50 can pull this off, even though I don't think anyone over 25 would try this out and it's a darn shame! Maybe the fact that all the teens are wearing this do not understand the concept of over applying cologne that has ruined this scent for you. A timeless cologne doesn't have an age group on it; this fragrance can be worn by any man, at any age. Spray it on your hand, walk around, and see what you might think of it then. You might be surprised! Overall rating from me, buy it, you won't be disappointed. Fierce has set a new standard of excellence in the world of fragrance that few colognes can match.

-Elysium

Mkpunk 23 months ago
A men's classic that smells similar to Curve but less plastic. It is a titan in men's fragrances. It is a people pleaser but so recognizable+1
5.0
10.0
Elysium 3 years ago
Definitely a subtle scent, either you love or hate it. Powerful zesty notes start it off, aromatic in between, and dies down into rose-musky!+2

by Joe