Colonia Assoluta (2003)

Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Colonia Assoluta is a perfume by Acqua di Parma for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Bitter orange, Pimento
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Vetiver, Ylang-ylang, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Resin, Patchouli, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 21.10.2018

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
It grew on me
2018 Update - After repeated wearings, I've come to find that I really enjoy this much more than after the initial wearing that prompted the review below. Once I came to terms with this being a very different fragrance than the original - not a flanker - I was able jettison the bias of an irrelevant benchmark and judge this on its own merits - as a well-constructed citrus - woody - patchouli construct with a touch of amber and floral sweetness - jasmine/rose.

Old (2013) Review - I have to say this is a bit of a disappointment to me after the original, which is one of my all time favorites. The citrus opening on this one seems more synthetic and lacks the original's nice balance with an herbal note. There is less complexity and less quality to my nose. The dry down is also very pale and never completely looses the touch of sweet industrial solvent that spoils this for me. Not a negative because overall it's still a decent, wearable fragrance. It's just that its a bit like the undistinguished child of a legendary parent to me.
Colone d'assaut
A radiant sweet powdery orange heralds the arrival of a capsicum and citrus accord that forms the backbone of Colonia Assoluta. Eventually the powder gathers strength to return as an orange flower and ylang set piece.

Sadly all the fine work on the carefully controlled development is for nothing. When I wear this, everything becomes overpowered by the shrill top note of capsicum which I find intolerable - it makes my teeth ache as though I'm biting an iron bar. What's more, it's got massive longevity and holds out right through the evolution, only fading away in the deep dry down.

This paprika / chilli note is the prototype of the high pitch sulphur compounds found in todays designer masculine. Credit or execration (depending on your view) should go to Bertrand Duchaufour and Jean-Claude Ellena who used it first in 2003.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Great cologne!
Great option for summer. Classy and elegant.

In my opinion the pimento note and the ylang-ylang give an edge to this fragrance. I would say this is a green floral fragrance.

It reminds me a bit of Guerlain's Cologne Du 68 when dries down (a little powdery).

Great sillage and projection for a cologne. Definetely worth it.

Updated January 2014
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
The Result Of Two Masters Working Together...
It took me a few wears to completely understand and love this scent. On first wearing, I immediately fell in love with the top notes that are a beautiful classic smelling orange and lemon citrus blast that is quite similar to the original AdP Colonia and must be the JC Ellena part of the scent. They are his best work outside of his masterpiece, TdH in my opinion, and are absolutely incredible.

The problem I originally had with Assoluta was the Duchaufour amber and musk base that came off as a bit too feminine for my tastes initially. After a few more wearings (and after exploring other Duchaufour scents like Amouage Jubilation XXV) I have come to appreciate the dry-down almost as well as the opening. I still prefer the top notes and wish they lasted longer, but the whole package is a very strong overall work. Longevity for an EdC is incredible as I get about 10 hours.

So, I guess the real question remaining is did these two top tier noses improve on the classic AdP Colonia scent? I think the answer is "yes" in many ways and "no" in others. The opening and longevity are improved but I still prefer the original dry-down to some extent. I think I prefer the original by a slight margin, but both scents are so strong in the EdC category and different enough from each other that I feel they are both deserving of strong consideration for anyone's scent wardrobe. I own and will wear both with great enjoyment and pride. 4 out of 5 stars.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Absolutely Not Colonia
I am confused by the naming of Acqua di Parma COLONIA ASSOLUTA, which suggests that it is a stronger, more "absolute" or pure version of COLONIA. In fact, it's a completely different composition. Among many other differences, lavender and rosemary are conspicuously absent from ASSOLUTA; resins are happily present; and this one strikes me as more feminine than masculine, rather than vice versa!

These differences are all improvements to my nose. COLONIA ASSOLUTA is a very subtle, smooth, resinous perfume with such an understated presence that it seems more like a base than a full-fledged perfume. I'm not that surprised, though, since minimalism is Ellena's signature style. Overall, I think that I find his work more conceptually than perfumically appealing. I would definitely wear ASSOLUTA, if I had a bottle, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to obtain one.

Toreter 131 days ago
2 me is a middle way btween Colonia & Essenza. Not as sweet & not that acid. Smells actual & pleasant. Nice alternative. Lasts good.7,5/10+1
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 7.5

• by Miaw2 by Miaw2
  • by Magdulenka by Magdulenka
  • by Yasinnisay by Yasinnisay
  • by skanvidou by skanvidou
  • by Miaw2 by Miaw2

Popular Acqua di Parma

Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Club (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cedro di Taormina by Acqua di Parma Colonia Quercia by Acqua di Parma