Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri

(1999)
Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma
Where to buy?
Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri is a perfume by Acqua di Parma for women and men and was released in 1999. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Orange, Sicilian mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Petitgrain
Base Notes Base NotesCaramel, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.03.2017

Scent 4.0/10
Helpful Review    1 Award
Less of a review, more of a question:
I just sprayed this on to give it a good smelling, but after the initial citrus blast I can't smell anything. Where did the scent go? Does this happen to other people as well? I love the opening, but am docking a few stars because of the disappearing act.
Scent 7.0/10
4 Awards
Very similar to Bond no 9 Little Italy--for better or for worse...
Upon donning Acqua di Parma BLUE MEDITERRANEO ARANCIA DI CAPRI, I thought immediately of Bond no 9 LITTLE ITALY, which was launched a few years later but smells remarkably similar to me. I don't think that this is a case of plagiarism, it's just that when you blend a certain assortment of pleasing components together, they are going to end up smelling very similar. In this case, there is a touch of woodiness and sweetness along with the tart citrus, primarily orange. It is the sweetness and the lack of greenness which sets these compositions apart from probably the most famous orange cologne: Hermès EAU DE COLOGNE ORANGE VERTE and its cousin, the CONCENTREE.

I am baffled by one strange disparity: the Acqua di Parma orange cologne seems to be loved by many people, while LITTLE ITALY has a fair number of detractors. To get to the bottom of this, I decided to do a direct side-by-side of the two fragrances, to ascertain whether my memory was perhaps playing tricks on me. In fact, I discovered that ARANCIA DI CAPRI and LITTLE ITALY are indeed phenomenologically very similar to my nose, but with a couple of differences.

LITTLE ITALY is brighter and a touch less sweet, and it features primarily clementine, while the dominant citrus in ARANCIA DI CAPRI seems to me to be closer to oranges. Believe it or not, I can speak ex cathedra about such distinctions, because my father (who lives in the Deep South) regularly sends me shipments of fruit from his citrus grove. My latest box contained clementines, satsumas, and oranges, along with kumquats. So I know my citrus and feel confident in making these claims.

A further difference is that the Bond no 9 is also quite a bit stronger (its longevity is not fantastic, but it's better...). Both compositions offer about the same timbre of citrus ensconced in a resinous and light woody base. They both smell great--but only if you love citrus of the orange variety!!!!

My conclusion is that some people just have a deep-seated resentment, verging sometimes on hatred, of Bond no 9.

For myself, I'd be happy with either of these fragrances, but I certainly don't need both, because they do smell very similar to me. The Bond no 9 is more expensive, if you buy it at MSRP, but testers can be had, and the longevity is much, much better than that of ARANCIA DI CAPRI.
Bottle 7.5/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
6 Awards
crepe Suzette
The lovely ElenaLondon sent me this gorgeous fragrance in our mutual search for the perfect orange scent. I think that, for me, there are several "perfect orange" scents with different facets. This is the elegant dessert version of orange!

Arancia di Capri doesn't have the citric bite of many orange scents I love. Rather, it is a shot of orange zest (ground fresh peel) tempered by an orange liqueur (Cointreau or Grand Marnier) with butter and sugar (which comes from the caramel note here). But not too much sugar - it is gentle without being cloying or sticky in any way.

Although this is an Italian perfume, it smells like a perfect French dessert that leaves me satisfied but not overfull.
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 5.0/10
1 Award
Citrusy and oceanic
Blu Mediterraneo Arancia di Capri, like many others in this line, has captured the exotic Summery-ness of far-away lands through the use of citrus and oceanic undertones.

While I do like this fragrance, the continuous use of citrus in so-called essential Summer scents does get boring at times.

Opening with sour lemon, juicy orange and sharp grapefruit, Arancia di Capri has that all-too-familiar acidic juice smell, that while refreshing, never seems to interest me.

The citrusy quality is a definite mood-lifter, however it often brings me down due to its inability to agree with my skin chemistry. Arancia di Capri unfortunately was not made for me. I have similar issues with Fico di Amalfi, D&G Light Blue and Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien.

On any other person I would probably like this fragrance, especially if the orange decides to dominate over the sharp grapefruit note. I didn't pick up the caramel on my skin, however once again it may shine on another's chemistry.

I wanted this fragrance to develop some more, yet unfortunately the lasting power was quite weak. I have noticed that many others experience the same problem.

It may be a unisex scent, but I see it as more of a feminine fragrance due to its slight sugary-ness. On the right person, in the most idealistic Summer weather, preferably humid, Arancia di Capri is most recommended.
Bottle 5.0/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
1 Award
Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia von Acqua di Parma
What do you get when you mix Brown sugar
pure Cain sugar and Oranges you'll get
Arancia di Capri with it's juiciest citruses of the coast of Mediterranean
islands into an 2.oz bottle of pure enjoyment. I love the top notes of citruses and intoxicating grapefruit and
dries to an powdery finish of bergamot.

And i thought to myself if you love the citruses are composed well in this scent
why do you just like it? i think i know why it's the Petit grain with it's greenish muskiness that can be overwhelming in this scent but that's my only complant. but i love the drydown
consist or cardamom with it's spiciness
and surprising the sweet note of Caramel. sometimes with fragrances
your'll get surprised if an simple bottle you'll think nothing excited but
with one spray it's artistry in a bottle. Big things comes in Small Packages.

Popular Acqua di Parma

Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Club by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra by Acqua di Parma Profumo by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma