Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana (1999)

Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana is a popular perfume by Acqua di Parma for women and men and was released in 1999. The scent is woody-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesOrange, Elemi resin, Star anise
Heart Notes Heart NotesProvençal lavender, Sage, Petitgrain
Base Notes Base NotesBalsam fir, Cypress, Pine needle

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.09.2019

The scent was re-released in 2018.

6.0 4.0 4.0 5.0/10

AJG
Have we met before, like in 1989?
The pusher at Nordstrom in Vancouver wanted to spray me with this to promote the new version, but I was already wearing my new best friend for the summer, Guerlain's L'Homme Ideal cologne.
Today I used the sample of Blu Med Ciprosso I was given.
What follows are my thoughts after the scent settled on my fresh-out-the-tub skin, which faded completely after two hours. I used the whole vial.

Hi Everybody!
I used to be a major player, arguably a classic. But I became outdated and unpopular, which caused me to fall out of fashion and be relegated to the discount shelf (aka the Corral of Shame).
My name is Sung Homme.

So I went out, got a new name, a few tweaks on the inside, a major overhaul on the outside, and a HUGE price jump, which despite the fact that I'm pretty much the same scent from the tall flacon full of purple juice with the untrendy name, has suddenly made me chic and popular again!

Please allow me to RE-introduce myself.
I am Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana and it is my great pleasure to take your money - I mean rather, it is my pleasure to make your acquaintance ;-)

Have a lovely day!
8.0 7.0 6.0 9.0/10

DarkWinterCS
Citric-green and from vacation in Italy
Blu Mediterraneo by Acqua di Parma, a fragrance collection that I have refused for a long time. In retrospect, I don't even know why. I was probably afraid that I would not like or like this kind of fresh scent. Now this has turned out to be a false statement, because the fragrances of this series are so fresh, so Mediterranean and pleasant to wear. Above all, in every area they remind you of a summer day on holiday.

The Cipresso di Toscana is the star of the series for me. Spraying full of anticipation on the skin, it took a little getting used to at first, because this kind of fresh green note was new and different for my personal feeling.
After my nose was ready for it, such a great variety of freshness spread out in the air and flattered my nose
Simply wonderful citric notes, which are combined with a little bit of fine spice. This is accompanied by a green-resin cypress that simply turns a fresh fragrance into a special one.

The shelf life and silage could be a bit better, because there are a maximum of 5 hours in it. But I forgive that for this masterpiece
8.0 7.0 7.0 9.5/10

Cascade
It's back again - summer can hardly get any better
What was I angry about back then? Just the bottle was empty and when I wanted to order a new bottle of Cipresso di Toscana, Acqua di Parma had taken it off the market.
Of course I stocked up again for a completely overpriced price and then enjoyed my darling only sporadically. Finally it was not clear when and if there would be replenishment again.
What a joy it was when I suddenly read that the scent was coming back. However, it was first said in early summer 2019.
But suddenly I came across the site of an English mail-order company and they actually claimed to sell Cipresso di Toscana exclusively.
What can I say: not even 5 minutes later 150ml were ordered for 117 Euro plus 18 Euro express shipping.
Only then I started to read on and thought to myself, if that was no mistake, because the ingredients listed there indicated a complete reformulation.
A top note of star anise (I don't really like), elemi (a tree resin), orange and petitgrain.
A heart of sage and lavender and a base of cypress and pine.
2 days later it was time, the parcel from England was there, torn open, sprayed on and....
Yes, it's Cipresso di Toscano!!! Apparently star anise with elemi, orange and petitgrain smells just like basil, rosemary and sage.
Maybe it's my nose, but I can't tell the difference despite other ingredients.
After five minutes cypress and pine dominate anyway and catapult you immediately into the summery south.
Also in the comparison with the for 8 years well guarded predecessor both I and the rest of my family came to the conviction that really hardly a difference is to be sniffed out.
And it gets even better: I have the feeling that the shelf life has also improved.
So Aqua di Parma, thanks that my mails were answered with the request to put on the scent again (and I think I was not the only one who bombarded AdP with mails). Now you can top that by adding the fragrance to your normal assortment as soon as possible, and please also with shower gel and body lotion.
2.5 2.5 3.0/10

Like a Southern Bathroom
Cypress di Toscani goes on rather unimpressively. It doesn't smell like any sort of woods that I can tell, initially. What reaches up and attempts to strangle me are the twin tattooed arms of mothball and baby oil. However, I can sense what was intended -- a refined, sedate, laid back experience. As the minutes drag on, a faint scent of woods emerges, but it cannot overcome the bulging biceps of baby oil. Finally, the scent morphs into what a Southern bathroom smells like, something vaguely woody, fecal, and not unpleasant, but not something that you would want to smell like, either. Also, it contains hints of musk. Yet even if you enjoy this experience, Cypress di Toscani has very little projection or endurance. In an hour, I cannot tell that I ever applied it. I think you can safely avoid this fragrance, if your chemistry is similar to my own.
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Classy summer scent
Gorgeous cypress and vetiver mainly with some florals and herbs.

Smells really natural, with average lasting power.

Very pleasant and unique.

It has indeed a barber shop vibe, which in my opinion makes it refined and classic.

Updated January 2014
9.0/10

Aura of Tuscany
Missk has already described many facets of Cipresso di Toscana very well (see her review below). Her description of how the citruses mind their manners is perfect. Although when she wrote "it has a beauty that is difficult to describe", I wonder if she was pondering the same indefinable quality that gave me pause?

CdT brings to mind the atmospheric qualities of Umbrian hill towns I visited during a hot, dry summer many years ago. The quality of the air and sunlight in Tuscany and Umbria really is different than anywhere else. There's a light, dusty patina of age that surrounds you as you walk over centuries old cobblestone streets or sit in a piazza decorated by terra cotta statuary and planters. I know, that's a very picturesque yet generic description. Not terribly helpful when trying to choose a fragrance here in the real world. But during the first few wearings of CdT I was taken with its indefinable quality; a kind of atmospheric magic that I couldn't pin down. I could sense the notes CdT has in common with other Mediterranean garden fragrances -lavender, rosemary, conifers, florals, herbs- but it is a very blended fragrance so no one note or accord predominates. So how did Bertrand Duchaufour idealize the aura of Tuscany without highlighting the stereotypical notes that would otherwise indentify it as a specific place?

After a few wearings I remembered that Maestro Duchaufour is known for creating incense accords. With that recollection CdT suddenly clicked for me. I believe Duchaufour has idealized the essence of the Tuscan atmosphere in a kind of warm, dry incense accord. It's not at all a hot, joss stick smoldering, smoky incense. Rather, CdT has an aura that radiates out in a dry, ethereal incense-like way. An incense would be an ideal way to capture the light, dusty patina of age I mentioned earlier. I would love to know if this is what Duchaufour had in mind...
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

An island and a pine plantation
When in search of a Summer scent, the contents of these sea-blue bottles seem to be just what you've been looking for.

I almost wrote off Cipresso di Toscana based upon the opening, which to my nose was a typical citrusy lemon and grapefruit fragrance with not much depth. However once settled, this fragrance transformed into something in which its beauty is difficult to describe.

The scent is warm, somewhat herbaceous, sweet, soothing and woodsy. The citruses vanish in a matter of seconds when applied to the skin, making way for a beautiful blend of lavender, pine, jasmine, cypress and patchouli.

Cipresso di Toscana is distinctively unisex, there is enough versatility for this to wear well on both men and women. Some say that this fragrance reminds them of nature and the Mediterranean. I've personally never ventured there, however I do feel as if this fragrance transports me to a picturesque island covered in pine trees, exotic flora and surrounded by clear, sparkling blue seas.

I find this fragrance to be very complex, hence the reason why I enjoy it so much. The absence of harsh citrus and strong fruity accords, places this fragrance in a unique category for a Summer scent.

This fragrance lasted a great while on my skin, and not for one second did I consider this fragrance too masculine for my tastes.

by ErhanSaceros
by Sisyphos
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Acqua di Parma

Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma Colonia Club (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Chinotto di Liguria by Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cedro di Taormina by Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma