Blu Mediterraneo - Chinotto di Liguria (2018)

Blu Mediterraneo - Chinotto di Liguria by Acqua di Parma

Blu Mediterraneo - Chinotto di Liguria is a new perfume by Acqua di Parma for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesChinotto, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Geranium, Rosemary, Cardamom
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 17.11.2019.

8.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Basti87
Pleasant fruit citric jasmine fragrance
Acqua di Parma - a great traditional brand from Italy which I like very much. Famous, of course, above all for the world-famous fragrance Colonia, which is already over 100 years old. I like all the scents very much. Most have a classic proportion due to plenty of bergamot, lemon and other citric notes. I particularly like this Blu Mediterrano series because it is quite modern and invigorating.
I tested this Chinotto di Liguria about 1 year ago and found it good. A few months ago I finally bought it together with another fragrance of this Blu Mediterrano series Mandorlo di Sicilia. 30ml each at a fair price. I also like the most famous scent of this series Fico di Amalfi very much and I will test more scents of this series.

This Chinotto di Liguria convinced me right from the start. I was interested in this fragrance, because with Chinotto a rather rare note is contained. I also like citric scents with pleasant white flowers, as you can find on Artisan Pure or some MFK's. I had to google Chinotto. Not so well known in Germany. This is a bitter orange with a bitter-sweet taste and here smell. If you smell this scent in the top note, you can imagine it well.
The bottles in this series are really very beautiful. The blue tone is beautiful and in addition a great label in the noble vintage style. Makes itself good in any collection.
I like the opening of this fragrance, but freshly sprayed it looks slightly overloaded and aggressive. This subsides after a few minutes and you get a great citric-fruity fragrance. Juicy-fruity, slightly sweet but also slightly bitter and astringent. Must be the Chinotto and the tangerine. It's not the standard citric, which I like. A lot of jasmine is added quickly, which goes well with the citric. Actually I find Jasmine rather totally feminine, here however unisex because it harmonizes with the slightly tart citrus fruits. Simply a pleasant composition. The creation is nicely rounded off with a very discreet spice and lots of musk in the base.
The performance is perfectly ok for a fresh fragrance. The Sillage is especially in the first hours very pleasant and good. I estimate the shelf life on approx. 5 hours, which is for a fresh smell in the frame.
Of course, this fragrance is well wearable in warmer months, but I also wore it recently. Especially in everyday life, leisure and sporting activities it comes in handy. This Chinotto di Liguria is also wearable by both sexes despite the jasmine note.

All in all a very great release for me. You won't get the big wow with this one, but it's a great alternative for everyday fragrances. A fragrance with great recognition value and a high feel-good factor
8.0 5.0 6.0 9.0/10

But bitter with cream!
That a Chinotto is a bitter orange I should not have googled at all, because "Chinotto di Liguria" smells so bitter and orange that even olfactory laymen or only occasional holidaymakers in Italy should recognize this scent. The Chinotto will never be in the first deer of citrus fruits, so it's no wonder that AdP is only now dedicating a fragrance to it, but better late than never. And this masculine bitterness definitely has enough memory potential and unique selling points to make the good Chinotto finally deserve her perfume!

Tart masculinity meets bright femininity - this is how "Chinotto di Liguria" could be described. A charming game with contrasts that tickles the nose and challenges the tester. Definitely a polarizer. For some ladies it's too bitter and edgy, for some gentlemen it's too floral and white - no after-the-mouth talker, ne ne. "Chinotto di Liguria is a citrus floral scent like no other. Jasmine kisses the bitterest mandarin imaginable. And the musk gives the ying and yang a certain airiness and grip. Transparent, shimmering, chirping. An Italian through and through - at least in this respect he fulfils all expectations. I like this old-fashioned (actually rather timeless) angularity and bitterness surprisingly well. He's fresh, sexy, and he's got a swelling in his chest. Whether you're a woman or a man. A bright little flower with the features of a macho. Fabulous!

Flacon: they look good everywhere, those blue things!
Sillage & shelf life: bitter but please only for the wearer. Very close and very tame. 5 hours long.

Conclusion: the bitterest refreshment since Acqua di Parma started producing perfumes... needs getting used to but then unusually nice!
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Anarlan
The rotation of the screw
Who doesn't know these stunning citric head notes that take you in immediately and of which you can't get enough? With freshly cut and unsweetened oranges, clementines and lemons in different stages of ripeness, presented juicy and close to nature, it quickly happened to me in terms of fragrance.
The blue Acqua, the Parma series, of which I recently had a few copies under my nose, has made the presentation of such head notes in easy-going summer visitors its program. Some may find this uninspired - but with the current Mediterranean climate in August, which should be maintained for the coming weeks, I can hardly use anything else on my skin However, some of these citricans don't succeed in integrating their wonderful start into an equal further course of fragrance. This is part of the character of fleeting summer colognes, but on the other hand, as in the case of Arancia, the Capri from the same series, which presents an orange start that is simply wonderful, is a pity, since everything is already said with the top note. So you spray after or turn away with a shrug of the shoulders at some point.
Chinotto goes here an unusual way and turns the screw qualitatively a piece further.
First of all, the fragrance has no sweetness or sweetness at all and I actually see it on the masculine rather than the feminine side, if you want to think about it. The start is sourly bitter and fruity due to the bitter-orange note, which I find appealing both in terms of fragrance and taste. The direction taken is then maintained, and the somewhat dark bitter-citric top note is complicitly immersed by an unsweet, bright, also bitter jasmine note in glistening sunlight and maintains this brightness over the course of time. I miss the feminine, often too loud and strong white jasmine blossoms, which are occasionally hewn around your ears in women's perfumes, and if there is a masculine definition of jasmine, then I would put up a little flag for it here Rosemary is added, which I think is well perceived, and which, together with a touch of cardamom, radiates both firmness and seriousness. Here I immediately think of perfectly dressed Italian gentlemen with formidable shoes, who live in sensationally stylish and crumpled furnished casualness in cool upper Italian city villas and with whom one can imagine nothing but that they smell like that.
The base is dominated by musk of a dusty, dry, hairspray type, which I find attractive and suitable here. Whether it is the somewhat soapy rest of the head and heart note that creates this impression, or musk synthetics per se, I cannot tell the difference, here too the transition is fluid and remains true to the basic character of the fragrance.
When I was wearing the scent on a hot afternoon a few days ago, and my son, 4 years old, was walking on his arm through the hot city, he suddenly said to me:
"You smell good."
As usual, I then ask:
"And what do I smell of?"
(The children should learn to sharpen all senses at an early age, shouldn't they?)
He says, "To the hairdresser!"
Children mostly tell the truth.

Addendum: Shelf life with medium Sillage much better than expected. I notice the scent even after 12 hours.
Conclusion: Stylish, austere, elegant, "other" copy of the "blue" with a twist in an unusual direction.
8.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

Where can be decisive
For decades now, a certain Vincenzo Andronaco has been supplying the Italian community in this country - as well as all other yearning people - with an enormous range of relevant culinary delights in various branches (or rather warehouses) between Cologne and Lübeck. The branch in Hamburg-Bahrenfeld is located near one of my evening routes home. No problem to go there and get a bottle of "Chinotto", a lemonade with the same name as the orange.

It's something completely different, however, after a family stroll through Milan, expertly guided by a dear fellow perfumer, to sit together for a while in a small pub and drink a Chinotto lemonade there. Such an ah-the-children-do-not-have-to-bed-evening in southern climes belongs to the more uplifting parental experiences.

Correspondingly emotion-laden I had followed the appearance of the new representative from the Blu-Mediterraneo series and only scheduling questions delayed the procurement of a sample.

The prelude fulfills all hopes perfectly. Although I know the bitter orange I mentioned only from the drink, I immediately and willingly believe in its name godmother: deliciously bitter orange of dark-fruity opulence, supported by a jasmine that, despite its strict and sensual aspect, today makes the stirrup holder.

Unfortunately, the voluminous orange passes within a quarter of an hour to a Bonbönchen. Her helper first looks around in amazement, before she soon sneaks away to the background as well. It assumes an astonishingly spicy, tart, almost serious layer: pea-green, metallic (rosemary!). A touch of lawn or hedge cut comes to my mind, later in the morning a herb-creamy green on the threshold to the hairdressing salon. The latter becomes a kind of secret guideline for surprisingly many hours, because until the afternoon I am accompanied by a hint of citrus soap, as it can sometimes be associated with Neroli and which, moreover, is not entirely alien to Mrs. Jasmin.

This is quite dignified and an elegant fragrance, in this amazingly long, stable phase prima in particular for the gentleman in a casual summer suit imaginable. But I don't expect such things under the title 'Chinotto di Liguria'. As far as its redemption is concerned, the fragrance offers a little too little. Like many times with AdP, the first quarter of an hour is when you kneel down before the magic fades away too quickly. Too bad. I can rule out an unattractive aged specimen. After all, the work is still quite new and my tester was oregenol from the AdP booth in the Alsterhaus.

Could the fragrance be pimped up by walking through Milan, for example?
7.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Raymond
My father was forty years old and (...) young, full of life force, full of possibilities. (...) He was a light-hearted man, skilful in his profession, always eager for new experiences and quickly tired of them - and the women liked him. I had no difficulty loving him with all my heart because he was good, generous, cheerful and full of affection for me. I can't think of a better and more entertaining friend than him.' In Françoise Sagan's novel Bonjour Tristesse, published in 1954, the seventeen-year-old Cécile describes her father as Bonjour Tristesse, a bon vivant of winning appearance and the same volatile temperament as her. And further: 'My father had such a strong aversion to ugliness that we often consorted with extremely stupid people. It didn't go that far with me, but I felt a kind of anxiety in front of people who were without any physical charm. They seemed to lack something essential. Your renunciation of pleasing touched me embarrassingly like an infirmity. Because what did we want if we didn't like it?'

This favor is the strength of almost all the perfumes I know from Acqua di Parma. They all know how to enmesh their wearers with a top note that is often extremely lively, sometimes melting down, always special. What follows this façade, the promise of the first five minutes cannot be kept in every case, but Chinotto di Liguria can. Its opening chord - chinotto, a bitter orange variety, as well as a refreshing drink made from it - stands out from all the other citrus openers we know from Acqua di Parma. And also the fine soapiness and maturity that unfold in his - amazingly enduring - middle section are already hinted at in this initial chord. Anyone who is tempted to expect just another cheerful, light-footed summer newcomer in view of the familiar blue bottle - along with the equally familiar name construct from southern ingredient plus Italian coastal region as designation of origin - will be surprised what Chinotto di Liguria is able to offer.

I see him on someone like Raymond, on a man rather than a woman: light-hearted and worldly and hungry for life, sometimes even pleasure-seeking. She has been successful herself with women and/or (other) men. Beyond thirty and equally happy with it and sometimes despairing about it. It is the bitterness in his top note that gives Chinotto di Liguria seriousness, and the barber soap in his heart - next to the bitter orange his formative chord - that make me think of no very young person as the ideal carrier. This is the jasmine that - many other recent (summer) scents use tuberose for it - triggers this sun milk-like chord, which I experience here as soapy - and as matured and established. And yet light-footed and carefree. Just as Céciles is more beautiful, although in the end (too) weak father, who can have both women in Bonjour Tristesse - the younger, somewhat ordinary and the so flawless, somewhat older one - even if his weakness and manipulability allows one to be used and the other to be destroyed.

Conclusion: an unexpected trouvaille for the summer - whether 'in a large, white, enchanting villa on the Mediterranean, off the beaten track on a rocky outcrop that projects into the sea' or elsewhere. For all those for whom 'only fresh south' this season is not enough.
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Yatagan
May men wear white-flowered flowers?
The question which fragrances men or women prefer to wear leads to endless discussions about attributions, gender identities or gender roles. I will simply relieve the discourse at this point and postulate that this is not necessary, so I will not write anything about it here and will not discuss it either.
With one exception: the question of what you feel comfortable with. For me personally, a boundary is often only crossed when a fragrance has a strong dominance of white flowers: tuberose, jasmine, ylang ylang, gardenia, tiare, lily of the valley, narcissus, orange blossom... I suppose it's the same for most men. Conversely, for me this also means that fragrances containing the above-mentioned notes are a particular challenge for perfumers and particularly attractive for tolerant wearers (this is not a generic masculine here). In other words: If it is possible to integrate a strong white-flowering note into men's fragrances without immediately having to think of a women's fragrance, then a small, bulky work of art has been created. In the past I had therefore often dealt with men's fragrances that contained a noticeable but masculine interpretation of tuberose (see my comments on Afteliers Cepes & Tuberose, Barutis Voyance, especially Jardin d'Écrivains Marlowe) and my special collection "Tuberose XY":
<font color="#ffff00">-=https://www.parfumo.de/Benutzer/Yatagan/Sammlung/Cust8=- proudly presents
I am especially grateful to Terra for the request in his latest blog which fragrances with classic white flower components (jasmine, ylang, orange blossom etc.) are suitable as men's fragrances for the summer. For myself (and for those interested) I have also created a - naturally manageable - collection for this variant, namely "Weißblüher XY":
More tips can be found in Terra's exciting blog.
By the way, this thread excludes the most classic of all variants, the kölnisch water with its high Neroli content. Of course, there would be many more fragrances in this Cologne segment with white flower notes, which can be wonderfully worn by men. I myself love this fragrance archetype very much! Here and now he should not interest us either.

One of the fragrances that I spontaneously located in the above-mentioned Weißblüher XY collection is Acqua di Parmas Chinotto di Liguria, which I was grateful to Couchlock for bringing to my attention with a sample.

For me, this fragrance is one of the most interesting representatives of men's white flower fragrances (for the summer), because it explores the marchness of jasmine, which plays the role of the white flower, to the limit of what is compatible with men's fragrances. The jasmine is dammed up above all by a bitter-sour note, which probably comes from Chinotto (see ingredients), a bitter orange variety, as I know in the meantime. Responsible for the masculine part would perhaps also be the spicy green note, which reminds me a little of Maitre Parfumeur et Gantiers almost lost Baimé (but fortunately in my collection). There, however, the kitchen herbs are so pronounced that I removed them from the above collection. Baimé is actually almost better suited for winter.

Can anything else be said about Chinotto di Liguria? Actually only that he will certainly polarize, which can already be seen from the comments and statements made so far, and that I personally like him very much. For men who are open minded, a clear test recommendation - like almost all of the blue AdP series!

Hatte leider den Aufkleber vom Karton abgemacht. Der Karton ist so schön.
by Stanze

Popular Acqua di Parma

Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma Colonia Club (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cedro di Taormina by Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura by Acqua di Parma