Colonia (Eau de Cologne)

Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma
Where to buy?
Designer Edition 2011 von Luca Scacchetti
Designer Edition 2011 von Luca Scacchetti
Colonia (Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Acqua di Parma for men and was released in 1916. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Verbena, Lavender, Bulgarian rose, Rosemary, Sicilian citrus fruits, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.12.2016

Bottle 6.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
Very helpful Review    3 Awards
An elegantly made and beautiful eau de cologne...
Colonia by Aqua di Parma may just be the Rolls Royce of eau de colognes. There are some instances where I liken this fragrance to a hand-crafted, elegant, luxury car. It's not so different in structure to many of the eau de colognes out there, true, but it's executed ever so beautifully.

With that being said, yes, it does develop much like an eau de cologne, the characteristic drawback being, it doesn't last so long. However that can be overlooked I believe, by it's smell.

It definitely doesn't smell generic. It reminds me of something very polished and luxurious, but it's a kind of carefree, relaxed luxury... not a stuffy, privileged and exclusive one.

The fragrance opens up with bergamot and lemon, and coupled with aromatic and rich lavender and aromatic rosemary, with hints of solid vetiver. I can also detect the coumarin in the base, and the floral undercurrent of rose, neroli and jasmine. It's such a great experience really.

It's absolutely unisex, and I highly recommend it as an experience. I do prefer other versions to this though (a favourite being Chanel pour Monsieur which I feel has more development than this).Dior - Eau Sauvage is also a strong contender. In terms of a favourite pure eau de cologne, I also like Guerlain - Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat.

However, all being said, this reminds me of a well dressed, elegant young person, who enters a room and catches the centre of attention there. They make an impact on everyone around them, and everyone is intrigued, impressed and interested in them, and want to spend time in their company. Then, as soon as they came in, they go out... leaving everyone in awe. This describes the experience I have of this one. Brilliant and dazzling in the start and beginning, then mellowing into something confidant and relaxed, before slowly fading away and vanishing. Beautiful & elegant, but eventually fleeting. Who said good things always have to last forever? It's definitely worth a try.
1 Award
Faux de Cologne
Not really a cologne because it's as much about rose as citrus, but it is an elegant and well made summer floral none the less.

Edited 22-06-16
Bottle 2.5/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 5.0/10
2 Awards
Colonia by Acqua di Parma
This fragrance opens with a lively blend of citrus and herbal notes. At first rich lemon dominates the accord, but gradually gives way to lavender and rosemary. The lemon note now adds translucence to the conservative herbal composition, but there are moments the scent smells rather stuffy on my skin. As the fragrance progresses the herbal notes disappear and floral notes emerge. What is supposed to be soft, powdery rose smells like a pissoir on my skin. I smell urine, lemon scented disinfectant and urinal cake. The only saving grace is the verbena which I can distinguish very close to the skin. The dry down is sweetened by ylang-ylang which adds a honey-like quality to the woody notes. Honestly, the dry down is the best part of the fragrance.
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 2.5/10
Longevity 2.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
Classic italian
There is not much to write about this fragrance. A classic italian cologne thats timeless.

Opens with a beautyful blend of citrus and herbal notes and there isnt much development.

I love how the rosemary note is done in this cologne - i guess it does gives it a barbershop smell thats really good to me.

In the drydown it gets a little powdery but i cant identify the notes.

Longevity, sillage and projection are weak, but acceptable for an EDC.

Updated January 2014
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 2.5/10
Longevity 2.5/10
Scent 9.0/10
3 Awards
A Classic Eau de Cologne With An Amazing Open...
The opening invigorating top notes are probably the best I have smelled in a scent (actually tied Dior's Granville). A very classy orange and lemon blend with just a hint of herbs that is just heavenly. The only drawback is they disappear ever so quick. That said, the rest of the high quality floral, soapy and slightly woody experience is fabulous too, ranking this one as one of my favorite warm weather scents... Don't expect it to last hours and hours though... 5-6 on my skin, unfortunately. Look to reapply a tad throughout the day to smell those top notes again. 4.5 stars out of 5 for this classic Eau de Cologne.
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Contrast between sparkling lemon and powdery florals
Here I was, expecting a typical citrus-based, predominantly lemon scent - something along the lines of Eau d'Hadrien or 4711 eau de cologne. Colonia may open with all the pizzazz of bright lemon and all its crispness, but within the development of this scent, Colonia becomes very complex and indeed very pleasing to the nose.

Despite a classic approach, Colonia can be perceived as modern. Unisex this fragrance is indeed; it is neither too feminine nor too masculine. For that reason, this perfume is great for a couple to share during the warmer months.

When first applied, Colonia with its obvious lemon note, sparkles for the first few minutes. What I love so much about this fragrance is that the citrus is not sharp or masculine. I would describe the citrusy top notes as being rather smooth.

The moment the heart began to develop, I was quite astounded as to how powdery and floral the scent became. The rose note is glorious, with the lavender providing a relaxing yet silky feel.

It's more towards the drydown where this fragrance begins to smell faintly like old-fashioned, expensive soap. It's a mixture of rose-scented talcum powder and lavender soap with a touch of bright citrus.

The contrast between sparkly citrus and powdery florals is to die for, (at least in my humble opinion). The lasting power is quite incredible and the sillage, although not all that strong, certainly has a distinctive presence.

I find it very hard not to like this fragrance. I would go so far as to hold this fragrance in such high-esteem alongside Iris Nobile, also by Acqua di Parma, which is another love of mine.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 5.0/10
1 Award
Back to the Barbershop--Again
The lavender and rosemary of Acqua di Parma COLONIA are so salient to my nose that this fragrance actually evokes in my mind vague memories of JICKY! Even more, I am reminded of barbershops. Well, I cannot say that I've spent a lot of time in such places, but this cologne definitely reminds me of my stored images of barbershops from films—especially mafia-related.

Audrey Hepburn wore this? Cela m'étonne. Perhaps she only admired it, on her male friends? As for myself, I would never, ever choose to wear this composition. I may not even finish my mini (which I received along with a purchase of IRIS NOBILE). I don't even consider COLONIA a citrus fragrance so much as a facsimile of expensive shaving cream! Do women really wear this???

Popular Acqua di Parma

Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Club by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile by Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra by Acqua di Parma Profumo by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma