Colonia OudColonia Intensa Oud (2012)Eau de Cologne Concentrée

Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma
Bottle Design Acqua di Parma

Colonia Oud is a popular perfume by Acqua di Parma for men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamot, Italian orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud, Haitian amyris, Russian coriander
Base Notes Base NotesAtlas cedar, Indonesian patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.07.2020.

Viseron
A fresh kick in the leather armchair: a summer oud par excellence
Now that I can finally own a bottle of Colonia Oud, it's time for me to write a commentary on this great fragrance.

First of all I would like to answer the question how I got this fragrance. Well, I am a lover of fresh citrus scents. On the other hand, I also like oud very much as long as it is non-animal and "stinky". But I hadn't seen citrus and oud as a combination in one fragrance until I came across Colonia Oud. I have to say that I hadn't tested a single Acqua di Parma fragrance at the time of testing, somehow the brand completely missed me, as I had certain old associations with the brand in my head. This was probably due to the fact that my nearby perfumery has various Acqua di Parma fragrances on offer, but they are mostly aimed at older men. Well, that's how you can be wrong.

So because of this very interesting and unique combination of citrus and oud, I ordered a bottling. And that was when it was all about me. Exactly this Holzig freshness I have been looking for a long time!
When the notes contain oud and leather, one may tend to think of autumn or winter. But I think this fragrance is perfect for spring and summer! This is mainly due to the soapiness, which makes the fragrance appear very light and airy (is that the added coriander?) Don't get me wrong, it's always dark and mysterious, but at the same time it's airy and soapy. That's what makes it so special in my opinion. After an initial explosion of citrus fruits, the darker wood comes into its own after an hour. However, the wood and the supporting leather accord are always accompanied by something orangey throughout the fragrance's life. The fragrance is very linear - the only development is that the citrus-like character is pushed a bit more into the background, and oud and leather become the main protagonists of the composition.

I am really enthusiastic about the longevity of the fragrance, especially because this version is designated as an eau de toilette. 8 hours and more are easily in my case. The sillage is already strong in the first hour, but then it gets closer and closer to the skin, and then settles down very pleasantly, which makes the fragrance very wearable in the office. Here is another advantage: Colonia Oud is simply incredibly versatile and unobtrusive. I can't really imagine a situation in which this fragrance doesn't work. In my collection, Colonia Oud takes the place that an Oud Wood by Tom Ford would. Please don't stone me, but I've never been enthusiastic about Oud Wood and would prefer Acqua di Parma in direct comparison without hesitation. I can understand that for some people this fragrance is too one-dimensional, not complex enough, lacking depth. For me, not every fragrance has to have a 3-page list of notes and show new facets every minute. With this fragrance you know what you get when you test it briefly.

Who can I recommend this fragrance to? Try it out if you're looking for a serious, woody-fresh fragrance that's incredibly versatile. If you want to test oud without getting the full buzz, Colonia Oud is also great. You should also have a certain level of maturity to appreciate the fragrance. It is not suitable for teenagers or young men looking for the well-known "panty-dropper" scents, because it certainly doesn't fall into this category. I think there are some women out there who don't like this fragrance very much. It feels to me like it was made for me. You don't wear colonia oud for compliments. You wear it because you want to.

I once read somewhere about "church bank" associations, and somehow I can understand the comparison quite well. But don't let that put you off. For me, the scent is the first 10/10 that I give away
One more small side note: I know that Acqua die Parma has launched the new black bottles in the eau de parfum concentration. But as far as I know, Acqua di Parma's Oud EDP is one and the same fragrance. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Oud in typical AdP style
Before Acqua di Parma-Oud, I knew few others at that time. At that time I liked to use Boss Bottled Oud, which is still good in my eyes, but is completely different from the AdP offer. What I appreciate about AdP - no matter which series - is the straightforwardness and above all the refreshing top note. Oud is also straightforward and with such simple titles I like it very much.
Oud from Acqua di Parma was of course also soaked in bergamot and lemon, not drowned. People always talk so beautifully about medicinal oud and that is what it is rather than animalistic. But actually it is citric. This here is an oud scent for the European, for noses that want to get to know oud but have a certain demand on the scent. I would like to compare it to the bottled oud variant: it looks dirtier, looks more scratchy and doesn't want to be pressed into a mould, just like an infantile rebel. You can also see that in the quality - with respect.
Oud from AdP is different. The fragrance knows what it is, what it can do and what it doesn't want to be. It gives the wearer a certain aura, which probably does not make the fragrance wearable for everyone. You won't attract attention, you won't be able to get any big compliments, let alone take over whole rooms. Oud rather provides seriousness, underlines a statement, appears professional and calming, in addition a bit noble. The wearer signals that he is a person of trust to whom one can turn
Now I've written more about the aura of the fragrance than the ingredients but let's face it: it's oud. Each one has a different effect in its design but it remains oud. If you don't like oud, this will be nothing for you either. If you want to appear animalistic, you are also wrong. For me, it is the oud that you can wear during the day, in contact with many other people, but it can also be worn in the evening on a cooler autumn night or even on a warm spring night. It is not too heavy. That makes it one of the best oud scents for me.
A word about S/H: the brown AdP series Performs anyway, here you get performance

ScentDane
Acqua di Parmas Colonia Intensa take on oud, and what a great, unique way to do so!
This Opens up with a beautiful combination of oud, leather and citruses. You're hit with a fresh, warm and woody combination. The oud isn't skanky or barnyward oud, but very woody. The leather/wood/oud combination gives the same vibe you'll also find in Issay Miyake Noir Ambre. There is coriander as well that gives it a subtle, spicy touch and then musk rounds it off and also gives it a powdery and fresh touch.

I've seen people talk about this being a rose/oud combo, but I cannot detect any rose what so ever. This really isn't a rose/oud combo. Again you have the Colonia Intensa DNA with oud. This also means, that if you normally do not like oud fragrances, but want to get into ouds, this might be something worth trying.

Due to the fresh, musky feel to it, it can in theory be worn year round, but I wouldn't wear this on hot days.

This is also something to go easy on the trigger with. One or two sprays on the chest will last you all day and you will be able to smell it for 10-12 hours easily with few sprays. Silage is also very decent, so be mindful not to choke people out.

Age-range is probably a bit more mature, but again due to the freshness and powdery, I could see someone in their 20s wearing this.

I would advise against blind buying, but if you love ouds, do check this one out! 8/10 as oud fragrances go.
Classic Italy
For me, the very first love when it comes to oud scents. Long lasting direct it looks eternal! Decadent but still I can't keep my hands off him! Arabian winter night, round, naturally organic simply harmonious!
So be it
Sun in the sky
Oranges ripe, fruity.
Wood dry, spicy.
Oud, so adapted elegant.
Na Oud what's the matter with you?
I was in the super version
I was allowed to reflect on my behavior.
How long?
5 sessions at ACQUA DI PARMA
That did you good.
If I am right before I annoy other scent notes or surprise the wearer with changing mood I think.
Hey Oud
Thanks that you can fit in so well, I know that with a temperament full of character it is not always easy to adapt.

For me a good feeling perfume that suits many occasions and times.
I am aware that Oud is a topic for long controversial dialogues.

spiess
Disenchanted but not outcast
When I first heard about A.d.P.'s "Colonia Oud" on Parfumo, looked at the fragrance pyramid and read a few reviews crosswise, it seemed to me as if the egg-covering scent milksowl had been mixed together here: A highly exciting all-rounder oscillating between sparkling, classic Cologne freshness and mysterious oud woodiness. Unique and yet practically always wearable. In a way that's almost true - but I'm glad I had a bottling and didn't immediately go "all in" with a bottle purchase.

"Colonia Oud" is actually a good, not super-nerolic cologne right after spraying. Simple and very well done. Other notes have not yet crossed the conscious threshold of perception in the first minute, but they certainly make a subtle contribution to creating the impression of high quality. In the next few minutes more and more oud pushes itself into the foreground and in the first hour actually creates that promised interplay between summer freshness and smoky wood darkness. It's a bit simple, but I really appreciate such clear two-tones. Unfortunately, a certain tendency towards brittle simplicity cannot be completely denied in the following. The oud becomes harder, drier and more artificial. I don't know if real oud smells like that, but the impression is there. Perhaps a little more Amyris in the mixture would have been good for the fragrance, because a certain resinous or balsamic cushioning would be desirable. It is certainly the hard-standing, woody tips that create the feeling of slightly rough synthetics in me. This could have been counteracted. The durability is (at least at me) less pronounced than the ratings of the community suggest, which is also not tragic, since in the end almost only the (felt) synthetic rashes are perceptible.

By the way, "Colonia Oud" is one of my first consciously smelled oud scents and is perhaps the first one where I could smell out this note in such isolation. This was not the case with other perfumes such as YSL's "M7" or "Royal Oud" by Creed - on the contrary! And I was kind of disappointed. Meanwhile I am glad that these scents handle this fragrance so timidly. Similar to vetiver, it does not seem to be easy to dose this component correctly and integrate it harmoniously. The hype certainly also tempts to many strikingly composed one-trick ponies. Is "Colonia Oud" a bad scent? No, I sure as hell don't. But one with obvious shortcomings.

Jazzy76
A luxury pleasure to share
I tested this cologne today and it was a wonderful discovery: when the tree Leaves become golden and the air is fresher,you need a more intense fragrance which lasts on your skin with warm accents: well, this perfume is absolutely perfect. It is meant as cologne for man but I think it is very good for women too and on my skin the result is wonderful. At the opening I didn't smell the classic citrusy notes, but immediately a rich oud made spicy by the coriander touch, not too heavy and well balanced. The base is warm and rich: the leathery notes is the main on my skin and the patchouli isn't too hearty, but light and pleasant.
The sillage is quite strong for being a cologne and the classic bottle keeps Always is charm. The price is very high, maybe too high, but we are at the top . A luxury pleasure to share in the the colder season or by night.

4 season oud
A luminous blend of Acqua Di Parma’s Signature citrus notes open as The Magnum Opus drawing you in while an alluring Russian coriander,leather and Amyris accord highlight the heart. Very elegant, very rich constitutes the base with suedes leather and seductive Oud hold you close.

Powerhouse
When I was new to perfume, I went to a local boutique to begin the education of my nose. The clerk had me sniff this one and I was a goner. He didn't need to make a sales pitch, I was already buying half the store (L'Artisan mostly), but he said for some reason women often bought it for their husbands. I bought it for mine. I probably wouldn't today because my nose is smarter now, but I still admire this cross between a wild animal and a perfume. To say it's intense is an understatement. It doesn't easily wash off, for one. Synthetics in the top note fade to allow this really carnal smell full reign. I love ColinM's disdainful second paragraph in his review but nevertheless women do buy this for their husbands for a reason.

ColinM
The yawn of a businessman
Well, nothing more and nothing less than one may expect from an “oud” take on Acqua di Parma Colonia. A wannabe-posh, soapy, sheer, very smooth (and very synthetic) sort of citrus-floral-musk blend infused with a dark, rubbery, bitter yet overall quite tamed down and exceedingly artificial woody accord of oud and birch, becoming drier and muskier as hours pass. I must say that somehow, the initial “fizzy-soapy” frame which comprises the oud accord works, and makes Colonia Oud smell as a fairly pleasant sort of “bright oud” with a laundry vibe. There’s a tangy sort of citrus-geranium accord which fits in surprisingly well. Given the bitter rubbery dirtiness of the synthetic oud note, it creates quite a pleasant play of contrasts – which will eventually fade away and leave the stage mostly to rubber and synthetic woods, but until it’s there, it’s nice. Still though, even considering that, it’s all really too cheap and ultimately uninspired to sparkle some interest. The “Colonia” side is just as flat and artificial as in the Intensa version (I’m still wondering how the Colonia line can comprise gems like the Assoluta next to utter garbage like the Intensa), and the oud accord is for me nothing different from any drugstore oud accord you can find anywhere these days. The price and the “luxury” packaging would let you think we’re in the same ballpark of something like, say, Dior Leather Oud, but truth is, we’re more close to Ferrari Oud, or Versace Oud, a Montale imitation dupe or whatever other lower-key designer ouds. Just a matter of quality: flat, synthetic, as much generically refined as completely “muted”. Nothing against that class of scents by the way, but there’s a reason if they cost three or four times less than this.

Not sure why (or well, reading what I just wrote until now, I can see why actually), but at the very first sniff my mind just came out with a spontaneous association – “what an airport fragrance this is”. Out of the blue, I just imagined a mid-level manager waiting for his plane. Not a wealthy businessman snorting fine complimentary cocaine in some vip lounge, just some ordinary businessman playing with an empty cracked bottle of water, boring the hell out of himself, probably needing a shower after a two hours taxi ride to the airport. Think of focusing your nose on some details – the citrus musky cologne he wore before leaving the motel now mixing with sweat, the cheap smell of his ready-to-wear laundered suit, the rubbery smell of his trolley bag and of the airport seats, the overall sense of suspended, depressing boredom which fills such “non-places” like airports. That’s the mood of Acqua di Parma Oud, basically somehow a sort of slightly more pretentious “office scent” with a professional look (not refined, not sophisticated, just “professional”) and a subtle dirtier vein. And by that I don’t mean something “sexy” , just literally dirty, sweaty and rubbery. It’s all filled with a nondescript, quite deep feeling of restrained, unemotional “nothingness”. And well, it smells a bit more cheap than it should anyway. Not blatantly cheap and not completely tragic, but definitely unworthy the price tag. Kind of similar to Indonesian Oud by Zegna (and just as much dull as that).

5,5-6/10

JManDaveJManDave 5 years ago
Beautiful, soft Oud over Citrus. Not to everyone's taste but a Top 10 in my wardrobe.

by Lanto
by Miaw2
by Liquidasset
by Liquidasset

Popular Acqua di Parma

Colonia Leather (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Colonia Sandalo (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Vaniglia (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cedro di Taormina by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma Colonia Ebano by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Chinotto di Liguria by Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Profumo by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma Colonia Mirra by Acqua di Parma