Colonia Sandalo 2016 Eau de Cologne Concentrée

Colonia Sandalo (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma
Colonia Sandalo (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) is a popular perfume by Acqua di Parma for men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. It was last marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
LavenderLavender
Base Notes Base NotesIndian sandalwoodIndian sandalwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
AmberAmber

Submitted by Michael, last update on 19.10.2021.

The cool gentleman
This fragrance is perfect for a gentleman. Cool, distant and noble.
The woody base is complemented by slightly sweet, but never mushy notes.
I prefer to wear this fragrance in the office with a suit. In this setting he shines.
MNGR
The art of conscious carrying
The headline captures the character of the fragrance very well, I think. This fragrance is truly not a "no-brainer", so no fragrance that you can apply carelessly in almost any situation, without touching. On the contrary, it is a true "brainer", meaning one that you should choose wisely. It's a fragrance that you should think about. And for that reason alone, it has currently advanced to one of my favorite ones.
In addition, the attitude circulates that AdP CS should rather be assigned to the set man in the best age. On the former, the gender, I go with. For me, a very clear men's fragrance.
With the age I am ambivalent. I think here the noble and sublime DNA contributes its part to the fact that this fragrance should be worn with precision and style. Of course, it is easier for a "grown man" (I would like to deliberately not specify an age) to create this atmosphere of self-confidence and authenticity, than, for example, an unsteady, searching and in parts insecure to naive "young man". But this can also carry it, just the danger of "getting it wrong" is probably greater.
AdP CS is indeed the only one of this "Eau de Cologne Concentree" series, which I have smelled so far, but I dare say that all releases can be attached to this distinguished, Italian-style, classically noble label. The presentation alone: brown glass with a shimmering bronze label emblazoned with the traditional coat of arms is indicative of this in my eyes. In comparison, the Blu Mediterraneo range seems far more youthful, playful and light. In addition, the unisex classification, which runs almost without exception through the entire series. Ultimately, these fragrances correspond to pronounced summer scents, with a view to the flacon design (not least underpinned by the latest new release, the AdP
Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto Di Calabria La Spugnatura), however, it is deliberately addressed a broader and more impressionable target audience. What I absolutely do not want to speak badly, because ultimately, the "blue" serve as a gateway into the world of AdP. So too, in my case. About Fico de Amalfi I learned to love the Italian traditional house and have become a fan of it downright.
And just by the AdP CS this affection was strengthened immensely.
He has a demeanor that is very difficult to grasp and describe. Accordingly, I was surprised when I smelled him for the first time. I bought it here in the souk as an almost full 100 ml bottle, including OVP. More or less blind, because only the reviews and statements here have moved me to get it. And I am very glad about it.
When talking about AdP and the in-house DNA, I can say that there is a lot of emphasis here. The typical citricism always resonates, especially at the beginning of course. But it never goes away completely, it is only complemented by further tones in the performance. Especially in combination with lavender and cardamom it develops a liaison, which for me forms the association with a bright/white and warm summer breeze. Not the kind that almost slays you in the middle of summer. Much more one that surrounds you in the evening, in cooled down temperatures, far away from oiled, sweaty and tanned skin. Here strikes no club and a fortiori I do not want to speak here of a "beast" or "sillage monster", but for an understatement fragrance, it is already very understatement or better, it radiates this understatement character very strongly outward, as if really everyone should perceive that this is a fragrance that radiates this subtle, feingesitige, self-confident and sublime gesture.
Provided that there is a certain sensitivity and you choose this fragrance very consciously, it is the absolute foundation of what makes the person of the wearer. He gives you this power resting in itself, patience, balance and very much dignity. He doesn't make those around you doubt your choice in any way. It makes this connection with you as the wearer that not every fragrance can achieve with such precision. This leads to a balance between scent and person, a ying and yang that forms a unity and cannot be considered detached from each other. Therefore, it will not evoke compliments, but not because it is too weak or not noticed. No, the compliments don't come because this fragrance says that it doesn't need compliments. He is 100% aware of his performance every second and therefore needs no recognition whatsoever. He would much rather be left uncommented upon to enjoy the moment, without projecting on individual elements.
As mentioned before, the danger of dressing up with AdP CS is always there. I would like to reiterate that at this point. But with purposeful engagement and understanding of this fragrance, it brings an immense amount of joy because it shows you that no fragrance in the world can transform its wearer. What it can do, however, is bring a person's sense of self, good self-image, and skillful reflection to the outside world. And not striking, but außerordenltich unique.
Eau de Cologne Concentree vs. Eau de Parfum
Rarely have I seen or smelled such a perfect scent, especially since I didn't expect anything from it, also owed to the fact that the yellow and blue AdPs are quite nice, but nothing more. The concept of playing with the lemon at the beginning to attract the nose is old, also well known with candidates like Eau Sauvage (not to be confused with the horrible Sauvage and its even more horrible offshoot) or even Pour Monsieur, although AdP still pushes the game that way. Nothing wrong with the lemon at the beginning, when it's joined by lovely other scents in the heart and base. I find that if you can manage that, then for me the lemon at the beginning is always quite seen, although it is even nicer if it still remains a bit present in the background until the end, which in my opinion is the case here. Very few manage that these days. Both versions of the Sandalo really have their justification in my opinion. It is all the sadder that Vintage is being discontinued. The dying of the good fragrances does not stop. (Here also a cross reference to the Acqua Amara, already gone, although only 2014 came out) On the other hand, one must then nowadays with umpteen offshoots of a Stronger with you zumüllen let, which no one seriously needs. Strictly speaking, it wouldn't even have needed the origin variant of this crap. If Armani has done anything right in the gourmand realm in recent years, it's the 2021 code. It almost made it into my collection as it's really good, but only almost. Neckbreaker was then in the end effect the vanilla.
But back to the Sandalo.
Both Sandalos together is the wood and citrus construct, which is implemented for my taste in the Vintage rather a little better, and is limited to the important and essential, and exactly thereby better. The new version is somewhat complemented by creamy-sweet notes, which is more in line with today's zeitgeist, and it could also appeal to the buyer group of under 30 years, although an AdP fragrance, no matter which, is not made for the bubi-ish clientele. I've only been aware of the fragrance for a short time, yet I find the Vintage so perfect that I immediately looked to see which major online retailer was selling it at what I assumed was the best price. When I saw that Vintage is no longer available at all from the big 3 online retailers, I saw the disaster approaching and immediately asked at the 2 premium stores in Würzburg. Yes unfortunately, the Vintage was discontinued, is no longer distributed in Germany, and only remaining stocks can be picked up online. A small ray of hope remains, the inquiry with AdP directly is written, with some luck it remains in Italy at the market, and can be ordered evt. from there. I really play with the thought to put me still 2 180s in the cupboard. Especially because of the price. Vintage you get a 180 for around 80 euros, and for the EdP 100s you pay easily 140-220 euros, which now raises the question, is the old junk, and therefore discontinued, and the new EdP really worth its price all the more. If it were the other way around, it would be even more coherent for me, since I find the Vintage as mentioned worlds better, so good that I would give it (if that were possible) a 12.0. Nevertheless, in direct comparison, the new EdP is somewhat beaten off, (with a good 8.5) nevertheless, I would prefer it to 95% of everything you get these days, no matter what price category.
What is somewhat confusing, is also the designation of the type of fragrance of the two, and what is written on it really contrary to what one then may or should expect, (also under the further consideration of the color scheme), so with durability and sillage.
When I tested the new black EdP, and then looked here in the rating, I was of the opinion that with H+S as stated here, yes, that fits. Should then he brown, so weaker in color, and also with Cologne Concentree as designation stated really be stronger? I thought no, since it is the Vintage, surely many (older and conservative) AdP lovers (who are more attached to the light AdPs) rated it worlds stronger, because they just also tend to rate the very light AdPs more with 7, although actually only a 6 in H+S is already more than what it is then. While my package was on its way, I was thinking several times, oh God, did I make a really shitty blind purchase? The expectations were high, but not too high. And were they disappointed? No, not really. The way this is in here with 7.5 to 8 on average, yeah that's right. Anyone seriously talking about a cologne here is wrong. If either candidate is an EdP, it's definitely the cologne. Just had an experience again the other day just before this, an absolutely beautiful new release, also a cologne, also rated 7.5/7.5, then turned out to be window dressing. It was / is the new Azzaro Cologne Intense. So from the scent truly perfect. Who can be content with a little less H+S, or often times nachsprüht, which is still well served with this cologne. From a fragrance point of view, an absolute 10. This raises the question for me, why do so many excellent fragrances too often have to be so weak. And why on earth do so many 2000s and 2010s junk gourmands have to be so unbearably annoyingly loud. Sorry, I don't know.
I have thus found for me once again an indisputably perfect fragrance. Whether I should now find this good, I also do not know, especially since the mega Vintage will unfortunately soon die out. The EdP can not hold a candle to the Vintage in any form, both not from the fragrance and not from the presence. But if he should be dead at some point then completely, then in any case prefer the black, still better than much of what you have to endure mithin.

Enter Sandalo
Oh what do I love this one! Typical Italian Acqua di Parma in the fresh citrusy opening developing into a classy creamy sandalwood. Nothing too complex, but all of the notes have been blended so well together. There are a lot of good spicy-woody fragrances out there, but none to my knowledge with such an outstanding fresh opening. Both longevity and sillage are good. Nothing beastmode here, but it doesn’t have to be. Elegant and classy for the more classic gents out there. You can’t go wrong with this one. My favourite out of the Colonia collection.

SpicyDice
Must've dropped some wood in the Essenza pot
Take a Colonia Essenza from Acqua di Parma, throw a little sandalwood and some spices in it and you get Colonia Sandalo. At first I thought I had applied the wrong scent, but no, those who love Colonia Essenza or like it and are looking for a more masculine version for the transition months or winter will be very satisfied with the Colonia Sandalo. The basic scent DNA is identical from my point of view.

The performance, i.e. durability and projection are a bit better than with the Essenza. The initially rather fresh notes develop over time into a rather spicy and woody construct
An interesting fragrance with the typical Acqua di Parma DNA.
Fine, woody all-rounder from Acqua di Parma
Sandalo was my first Acqua di Parma fragrance I smelled. I have to say, wow, it's really beautiful and interesting. At that time this was still a quite new fragrance experience for me and I knew nothing comparable. Now I've smelled a few more scents. Also a few more Acqua di Parmas. And I have to say, even now the fragrance smells quite unique to me, not extremely innovative, but unique. And so far it is also in my eyes (my nose) the best Acqua di Parma. I am curious about Colonia Ebano, which I also have on my watch list.

How do I perceive Sandalo?
It begins with a fresh, sweetish, woody and somewhat pungent smell. The woody one - I just assume that this is how sandalwood smells - gradually becomes more apparent, the freshness disappears and the sweetness fades into the background, but remains. I guess cardamom, tonka and amber provide the sweetish touch, although I can't smell a single note of it.
This way the fragrance comes to rest and slowly fades away.
What gets a little stronger, I guess sandalwood is responsible for this, is the slightly pungent note. It doesn't bother me, but there have been perfumers who have tried to get rid of their bottle because of this characteristic, even though they liked the scent.

The Sillage is average, the shelf life as well. According to my experiences/perceptions, however, these two values are always somewhat worse for me than for the general public. I can quickly no longer perceive a scent on myself, my skin absorbs the perfume like a sponge and my nose is not the most sensitive.

The scent has also brought me compliments, most recently when I had an appointment at the brewery after a long day in the sauna. There he was especially well received by a friend. However, she did not perceive it as a perfume at all, but as a freshly showered smell with a sauna infusion note.

I always feel comfortable with the fragrance and also feel it a bit elegant. And I also think he is an absolute all-rounder. Office, everyday life, evening, it's usually always possible
Batten cracker
Acqua di Parma has been spreading its wings and flying to new shores for some time now, fusing them with its classic citric scent DNA. In "Colonia Sandalo" creamy sandalwood meets sweaty citrus feet - sounds funny, but is so. At least in my butt between the eyes.

This fresh Sandler starts AdP-typically - citric, bright, tingling. Especially the Petitgrain is famous. For me this is the best part of the fragrance, the Italians can do it, almost no matter what comes next. Here follows an unusual combination, especially with the summery start: the fragrance becomes a spicy sandalero. Still very Italian, but definitely daring. Sandalwood is creamy, cardamom is spicy-creamy, tonka can be creamy - and yet the composition initially appears to be very rough. At first sight. Because I like him more every minute. Although he doesn't move or change much.

Italiano vero, a real Roman, you could almost say. Russel Crowe aka Maximus would stand that. Not for guys. A mature, sunny, juicy all-rounder, who can get on your nerves quickly or not at all, but who scores with me with his casual summery interpretation of otherwise much heavier fragrances. A must-test for every city trip to a city on your boot. Whether Turin or Palermo, whether cloudy or boiling hot - the fragrance is there. The Collosseum becomes a hairdresser's.

Bottle: also in brown beautiful, the AdC's
Sillage: oldschool also works (to some extent) discreetly
Shelf life: 7 hours Retro bliss

Conclusion: a gladiator on leisure. The beard has to be trimmed at least once in a while... A wonderful timeless barbershop fighter.
Not another sandal movie! :D
Hello folks and have a nice evening :)
Yeah yeah yeah, I know I know sandalo doesn't mean "sandal," it's sandalwood. But still Sandalo sounds like a sandal to me at first, and somehow I have to think of those old sandal movies. You know, these movies, in which the heroes with more or less heavy armor and quite muscle-bound swords and axes swing and their sweaty feet (ugh!!)) have only put in sandals, which is usually their biggest weakness, as soon as they hit the big toenail against something, which hurts hellishly and then you are only cursing and would like to brutally slaughter everyone around you with rage, which on the other hand is also very fitting, since one is in any case constantly confronted with enemies, like the Romans... or if one is a Roman oneself, with an enemy of the Romans,... Gauls for example, or something similar:D

Anyway, sandalwood is a fragrance that has an oriental scent and is supposed to bring the Orient into your home. It should smell soft and balsamic, but also seductive. It is said to have an aphrodisiac effect because its composition is said to resemble male hormones. Pah! ...that's so not true! I've used who knows how many scents with sandalwood (both with and without how wildly near women to wag their hands to move my aphrodisiac scent cloud in their direction!), never has a woman turned over after me or even threw herself at my neck *seeeeeeufz*
because of this (It's like this Axe-Deo-advertisement from back then, you can spray as much as you want, the women don't rip your clothes off...!!).

Be that as it may, now I come to Sandalo from Acqua di Parma, a brand I generally like (Fico di Amalfi, for example, is one of my favourite fragrances, is definitely worth a test! :) And Sandalo is also a quite successful scent, which I liked very much.

The fragrance:
Sandalo begins with citric notes, above all bergamot and orange, which smell fresh and good and also have a slightly classic touch, which is probably due to the lavender, which was or is often part of many classic fragrances.
At the same time, however, the fragrance also smells modern, so that although it smells a little more mature and is therefore intended more for adults than younger guys, it does not necessarily smell old-fashioned. Naturally, the fragrance quickly becomes gently balsamic and woody. The sandalwood is nice to smell, but still comes across weakly, but this still changes towards the base. A nice sweetness is also present, which seems to come from a mix of amber and tonka bean.
The background is slightly resinous, or at least that's how I feel about it, and I like that because I personally like resinous scented scents. The cardamom has a spicy, but also a slightly green scent. Cardamom is always such a thing with me, because I sometimes find this scent disturbing, but probably in the past this was due to the combination with other scents, which had rather overlaid the cardamom with their devilish scent, such as coriander for example :D
Because here I find the cardamom quite nice and very suitable for the rest of the fragrance.
Soo... with time, the citric notes of oranges become the strongest citric scents. However, the citric scents fade away towards the end, so that one smells best lavender and wonderful sandalwood at the end, with a beautiful, ambry sweetness and resinous notes. I find Sandalo generally very successful.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The charisma is okay, but it could have been a little stronger. The scent you emit is good, but I had the feeling that the Sillage went down a bit quickly. Well, at normal distance it smells good for a while, only it's not a firecracker, but it doesn't have to be. I can't decide between six or seven points here and give you six points for now,... just imagine this as 6.5 points :D
The shelf life is also quite okay. The fragrance lasts at least eight hours, which I think is quite good.

The bottle:
The bottle is cylindrical and slightly wider in height. It is dark brown and has a shiny light brown label with name and logo on the front. The lid is just as brown as the bottle, also cylindrical and wider in height just like the bottle. It lies very well in the hand and is generally a very beautiful bottle.

There! Sandalo I had overlooked for some reason, I don't know why. Otherwise, I would have remembered testing that scent. Because he smells really wonderful. It's classic with modern accents, so it's not really old-fashioned, even if it shouldn't stand so much on younger ones, I think at least.

It is a great everyday scent, which is less suitable for going out or better said for the evening, but for me it is a wonderful companion during the day, no matter if job, leisure time, a meeting with someone for a cup of coffee (or sniffing for scents, where you get dragged from shop to shop, even if you should be olfacially saturated long ago... :D) or so and such things. Best used in spring, autumn and winter.

So, that's it. I wish everyone a nice evening and a nice weekend. Tomorrow I'll probably be in a smaller village again, let's see if I can write tomorrow or the days here, oh you see it anyway :)
Bleu de Chanel for adults or: The Masculin Pluirel by Acqua di Parma
Two headings and two focal points in my perception of this fragrance from the Ingredient Collection of Acqua di Parma:

First of all: Colonia Sandalo always fits, at any time, at any opportunity. So is Masculin Pluriel, my signature scent of Francis Kurkdjian. Not to be misunderstood: Sandalo and Pluriel are two completely different fragrances. But I find that both have very similar, namely very high qualities.

Second of all: Colonia Sandalo reminds me very much of Bleu de Chanel (EdP, but especially perfume) because of the great dominance of sandalwood. Only that Colonia Sandalo is much rounder, softer and more noble than the current milking cow from Chanel (which, by the way, I really appreciate in the perfume version). Much less spiciness and shower gel, just pure woody sandal freshness.

First comes the Colonia Ur-DNA with the known citric notes. I always find it astonishing how Acqua di Parma manages to get this start with so many and so different scents. The sandalwood, which I can smell after about 10 minutes, is clearly dominant. Here however every artificiality is avoided by little cardamom and with me much lavender. The Colonia reference remains clearly recognizable with me. After about half an hour to an hour Colonia Sandalo becomes softer and rounder due to tonka bean, but not sweet.
Colonia Sandalo is concise, present, but not loud and therefore a woody-fresh evergreen without synthetics - a Bleu de Chanel for adults.
Name comparisons in the area of footwear do not seem to me to be targeting!

Sandalwood or sandal?
Of course I am aware that sandalo translated from Italian means sandalwood. However, the signatories of Acqua di Parma should also be aware of how that sniffs as a natural original.

But one thing at a time: in the first few nanoseconds, the typical AdP cosmos with bergamot paired with a few of its citric relatives comes towards you. As soon as sandalwood and cardamom in particular march forward quickly and roll down everything else. Even lavender has little chance of success. After all, sandalwood is the main character here. Nevertheless, I suspect that we are dealing with a double who only pretends to be - and unfortunately not completely convincing or authentic. His sidekick cardamom also plays a strange game.

Together I really find them a bit too penetrating or obtrusive, strenuous and tiring. They give the rest no chance to develop and help the scent more to a shoe polish attitude than to the apparently desired sandalwood atmosphere. And there is just fast the association to old sandals (only just without leather).

This olfactory quickly annoying sinus tone remains and remains... to a long drydown without amber and tonka bean flashing through.

As a small footnote (how fitting) it should be mentioned that a colleague, who herself is not stingy with the use of her perfumes, still asked what would smell so strange here. When I let her sniff my wrist, she slightly pulled her face and said that it seemed cheap.

Well, I don't think it's that dramatic, but as a lover of sandalwood I actually expected more. One could now unken that Acqua di Parma should rather stay with his last and that Colonia Sandalo rather becomes the Clonia Scandalo, but I don't want to give so much malice to the whole thing along the way. It's just not my thing!

JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 1 year ago
The perfect office scent for me. Opens with an aromatic citrusy lavender mix and dries down to a beautiful spicy green and woody scent.
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
Don Corleone reincarnated as a perfume. Smells of dark rum, burnt wood and sandalwood.

by Notirotirito
by Notirotirito
by Chris5ch
by Chris5ch

Popular Acqua di Parma

Colonia Leather (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Oud (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Colonia (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Colonia Oud / Colonia Intensa Oud (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa (Eau de Cologne) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Bergamotto di Calabria La Spugnatura by Acqua di Parma Quercia (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cedro di Taormina by Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Arancia di Capri by Acqua di Parma Vaniglia (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile (Eau de Parfum) by Acqua di Parma Profumo by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Chinotto di Liguria by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna by Acqua di Parma