Agent Provocateur (2000)

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur
Bottle Design: Bodo Sperlein

Agent Provocateur is a perfume by Agent Provocateur for women and was released in 2000. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardenia, Jasmine, Magnolia, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.11.2018

Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Agent Perfumeur
A man's opinion about lady perfumes must mean something...
I offered this perfume to my wife. Agent Provocateur usually provoques polarized reactions. She took a while to decide on which side she would judge to place this fragrance: Love (and keep) or hate (and give away)?
Gladly she now loves it and uses it, as I am particulary found of this perfume.
In my opinion she is a lot sexier and hotter when she wears this perfume, and she knows it. She does own another perfume quite similar to this one that I also love a lot. It's Coriandre for women by Jean Couturier.
This is a fragrance that may make the difference between a real woman and the Lolitas and Brittneys that really don't attract the men's attention. It does make a difference if one's wife or girl friend smells like no other woman. If one's wife or girlfriend smells like a million other women, she does not really look different from any other women that man, spouse or boyfriend may constantly encounter.
Think about that when you spray yourself with Agent Provocateur. You will be hotter, sexier and different.
... I already bought also a backup bottle for my wife.

PS - The master perfumer of Agent Provocateur - Christian Provenzano - is responsible for Penhaligon's LP No.9 for Men. That's the perfume that my wife elected as men's sexiest perfume.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 4.5/10
A Rose Warhead
WOW! This stuff is potent.

One thing I'm sure of: I'm definitely smelling a LOT of rose! And it's not really the sweet, clear rose of Stella McCartney's Stella; it is closer to my grandmother's fusty rose, unfortunately. At the top I also strangely got a sweet suede-like smell. I tiptoed along the ledge of feeling a bit nauseous by that note. There is no suede or leather note listed, but it has got to be there.  After about 30 minutes it had passed, but I did not at all enjoy that phase. I'm not really sure what else I'm smelling, as I don't really know what saffron smells like. I don't get any coriander, and the other florals are completely drowned out by the rose. Maybe I'm getting a touch of jasmine, but the rose is such a beast. No amber. No musk. A tiny hit of vetiver. My skin smells like a very salty rose...how is this possible?! And this is supposed to be an agent of seduction?! I can't think of a man alive under 50 years of age who would want his wife/girlfriend/lover, etc to smell like his grandmother! Ew.

All that being said, I don't dislike this perfume. I will likely not reach for it very often, as I feel like I need to be in a certain mood to handle it's "vintage-y" scent. I actually have a sample of its flanker, Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle, which I think I like a bit better. It seems tamer compared to its nuclear-tipped warhead of a sibling. The beautiful pink porcelain bottle is a Trojan horse for the conquering juice inside. I'll bet Helen of Troy smelled like this! It wasn't her beauty...it was Agent Provocateur!

Sillage is enormous. I applied a squirt to each wrist, which I smoothed down my hair, and then one to the back of my neck. I was overcome! It was too much! Now it's over three hours later, and it's manageable. I like it better now than at the top. Next time, I think I will spray the mist in the air and walk through it.

Longevity seems to be good. I like it, but it's...moody. I feel like it would be best to wear out in the evenings, but then I will risk imperiling the lives of all those around me. This is definitely not office, school, or church safe! I only feel safe wearing this at home alone!

Overall, I guess I will give it a 4.5 out of 10. That seems harsh, but I don't feel I can rate it too highly, but I also don't dislike it. It is strong enough for my tastes and lasts a long time, which I appreciate. I just wish it were fresher and less fusty.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 1.0/10
furniture restoration
For me this stinks as the chemical products to restore and wax antique furniture, it is a no no...a throw away, i am not gonna insult friends or family by giving this to one of them ..or maybe just keep it in the bathroom as decoration, i think the bottle is not to bad, i have the edition porcelaine...so yes the bottle might be a keeper, but the juice makes me sick
It was a blind buy....
Mustard?
This one did not work for me at all, it attacked my nose and throat with a vengeance, it kept reminding me of mustard greens, lol. And like all scents that did not work out on my skin, it was a scrubber of the most tenacious variety!
jtd
Rose Chypre Revamp
Agent Provocateur is a rose chypre in the 1970s-1980s style. It is gravelly like many rose chypres, but it seems to have a less gigantic rose than that of Lauder's Knowing and Rabanne's La Nuit for instance. AP's rose is rich, but comparatively low-wattage. It joins the patchouli in harmonious fashion and gives AP its oriental style lushness. The different rose changes the tone of AP. It is expansive and takes over the conversation as the genre tends to, but once it does it doesn’t free-associate senselessly and endlessly in cocaine-club fashion (Montana’s Parfum de Peau for example.) AP is as big as the others of the genre, just not as overpowering.

I know many dig AP for its vaunted used-drawers nastiness, but I just get that mineral scent of soil that patchouli can lend to rose. Smells like a garden, really.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10
Rusty nails, dirty underwear, or old ladies? A chacun son nez...
AGENT PROVOCATEUR opens with a truly confusing and cacophonous collection of very synthetic--verging on industrial--notes. I had no idea what to expect, but the bottle certainly suggested something a bit more inviting.

However, after a few minutes, this concentrated edp develops into an extremely well-behaved old school dried roses chypre. Fortunately the drydown lasts a long time, perhaps even long enough to compensate for the jarring opening, but I am not at all surprised by the large number of negative reviews, some of which may well have been based upon the first few minutes, after which many a perfumista would feel justified in dashing to the bath for a scrub. That measure would be precipitous for some, provided that they have a predilection for dried flower chypres!

Only the opening of AGENT PROVOCATEUR is a floral woody musk, with the emphasis on that latter term. For the rest of its life, AP really is a chypre, which probably explains the "old lady" allegations I've seen interspersed among the reviews referencing "rusty nails" and "dirty underwear"! A provocative composition, indeed.
Scent 0.0/10
Who is Agent Provocateur?
If you read through the fragrance notes above, you might not catch the right drift of Agent Provocateur. AP is a dirty and suggestive (in all the best ways) rose fragrance. The saffron and corainder combined with the musk, takes this uprtight powdery rose in a somewhat inappropriate and backroom direction, which is quite addictive. Like one of those powdered wig courtesans, AP has a formal outward appearance, and trappings of a traditional rose scent, but also a complex spicy sharpness that often leaves people divided on whether or not they like actually like it. Also, it opens with a bitter sharp blast (much like Montale's White Aoud) that takes a few minutes to calm down, so hang in there for a few minutes if you are trying it for the first time....
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Sexy, dirty musk
Agent Provocateur is such a distinctive, unique and daring fragrance.

When I first sprayed it, I was almost blown over backwards with the strong florals mixed with the spices. It was a little too heady and 'in-your-face' for my liking. However, minutes later I sniffed my wrist once again and realised that this fragrance was growing on me.

Slightly powdery, yet strangely sexy, Agent Provocateur is one perfume that changes with every sniff. One minute it's musky, next minute it's sour, the next it's sweet.

I agree with the majority that say that this fragrance is sexy, because it most definitely is sexy. However, in my opinion, Agent Provocateur is not your typical 'brothel' scent, it is much classier, more suited to the woman that is in control and enjoys her own feminine sensuality.

Because this fragrance is primarily rose, jasmine and spices, this fragrance is for women and not little girls. The pink bottle with the black ribbon, although well suited to the fragrance, may attract younger consumers and discourage the more mature woman from trying Agent Provocateur.

I would wear this as an evening scent, since it exudes such elegance and sex appeal. Although, like the overall promotion of the fragrance suggests, this can also be worn as an intimate night fragrance with that special someone.

Blkbrd 14 months ago
Frank, dirty saffron rose, layered and beautiful. If warm/sweet, it'd seem needy/obnoxious. Isn't. Doesn't. Doesn't care what you think.+4
Bottle 6.0
Scent 10.0
Anessa 19 months ago
Sour,spicy,potpourri-like tearose w/ undertone reminding of chemical substance in hair removal cream. Provocative? No. Suggestive? Perhaps.+2
Scent 7.0

• by Pluto by Pluto
  • by Gold by Gold
  • by Hatka by Hatka
  • by Hasi by Hasi
  • by pudelbonzo by pudelbonzo
  • by Magdulenka by Magdulenka