Maîtresse by Agent Provocateur
Bottle Design: Studio Pi Design

Maîtresse is a perfume by Agent Provocateur for women and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-powdery. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums.

Azzi Glasser

Top Notes Top NotesLotus, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesOsmanthus, Iris bud, Jasmine sambac, Rose absolute, Violet leaf
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, ISO-E-Super, Suede, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.06.2019

8.0 5.0 6.0 8.0/10

Mme Montespan...
...is not to be found here.

According to my statistics, maitresse is one of the most worn fragrances. Sounds strange at first, even for me, especially as she scarred dangerously along the launch pad a few times.

But why don't I want to part with a fragrance that I wouldn't have a public opportunity to wear? Or rather, one I thought I didn't wear so often after all.
Because the mistress is actually a couch potato.
When I come home after my day's work, I am drawn into the shower after a good deal of housework and afterwards I actually want one thing: No conspicuous scents.

The Maitresse thus secretly conquered the hit list of home fragrances.
It is subtle, almost reserved, exudes transparent, non-sticky flower powder whose sweetness comes from the flowers alone, leaves a velvety skin and gives me an infinitely well-groomed, clean feeling without having to think of the typical Saubär.

She purrs and purrs, ensnares and caresses. From behind. I didn't realize I was reaching out to her more and more.
Erotic, huh, yes. It is erotic because it gives me a good body feeling, just this velvety skin texture. I feel blurred with her. No pimples, no pillows. Like gephotoshopt.

Ylang subtly sensual, jasmine sambac cooling, rose beguiling, violet tart, musk clean, suede velvet. She hardly appears to be ambered and even Iso only provides the sparkle, does not outshine the scent.

Well, ladies, and this may seem shocking, but isn't it, the mistress? Desire awakening through silent presence. Sneaking insistently into the bed and heart, quietly pulling the strings in the background and barely have you provided yourself, you have decayed with skin and hair. Harhar.
Thank God that it's still in the courtship display phase, bigger dramas are not to be expected, also no poison is mixed in. It is also suitable for sheets, as it beautifies and supports the body's own odour and never fully seizes the skin. Paste neither mouth nor nose of the beloved.

And as much as I was fascinated by Montespan at a young age, today I enjoy the more sweet mistress. By the way, in my imagination blond angel lured, for whatever reason. :)

7.5 7.5 7.5 4.0/10

I cannot recommend
I'm having a difficult time picking out a single floral. Lotus? Jasmine? It's a generic, non-descript floral opening. It's not a white floral but a powdery (rose?). It's also very soapy. Not my favorite quality in a perfume when it's combined with a sharpness that I also find here.

After it warms up I get some definite rose and ylang-ylang. No violet leaf. Nothing else at all, really. The drydown has a lot of musk in it.

The longevity is pretty good, about ten hours and the sillage is decent. I really don't care for this scent. When the soapy and sharp parts are combined it makes my head swim (not in a good way). It has a very generic feel with nothing that really makes it stand out.

May
2014
7.0/10

Powdery Suede for a Seductress
I have to be honest - it took me a long, long time to fully appreciate Maitresse. Reviews are all over the board for this fragrance, and I have a couple thoughts why that might be so.

For starters, AP Maitresse is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. A little bit floral, a little bit musky, a little bit aldehydic, a little bit woody. However, all those little bits sit on top of a soft, powdery suede that is present throughout the wear. At this price point, a powdery suede is unusual, unique & unexpected. On me at night & on cooler days, it morphs into a skin scent and is delightful layered with its body butter.

Although not as stunning as the original, this AP is highly wearable. Moreover, Maitresse is very unlike other AP fragrances. It's not the head turner that's AP original nor the voluptuousness startler that's AP Strip nor the coyish nymph that's AP Eau Emotionelle. Instead, Maitresse waits for the gentleman rather than grabs him. It's the fragrance of a seasoned woman who knows what she wants and gets it without attention-grabbing, force, or teasing. Paired with the right attitude, Maitresse is suited for the boudoir, as are all fragrances in the AP range.

AP Maitresse's style is old-school Hollywood. She wears sling back heels, a Veronica Lake hairstyle, high-waisted skirts, long-sleeve shirts, and fabulous undergarments. And that's probably why Maitresse gets more rotation in my wardrobe than AP original, AP Strip, and AP Emotionelle ... combined.

Not a dominatrix
I was intrigued to discover that 'maitresse' means 'mistress' (my perfunctory French is really only good enough to order breakfast teehee) and immediately, images of dominant latex clad vixens sprang to mind.

I was disappointed ... far from being raunchy, Maitresse is definitely more subtle a fragrance than one would expect someone by the moniker 'Mistress Formica' (just as a random example!) to be wearing. It falls more into 'the other woman' ( also a 'mistress') category, still lovely but not very adventurous.
The powdery aldehydes on top are delicious, but too short lived imho. In fact, on my skin the whole composition is decidedly soft and virginal ... too pretty to be considered threatening, the way I picture any kind of mistress to be. Having said that, an English friend of mine wears this and maintains that her husband knows he's going to 'get a leg over' when she wears it :o).
I am faintly reminded of Pure Poison by Maitresse ... strange, because the only notes they share are Jasmine and Amber.

I don't dislike Maitresse ... I would've just liked it to be a bit more ... yes, a bit more.
7.5 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Romantic powderiness
Initially attracted to the sexy bottle, my expectations for this fragrance were extremely high. I am a lover of white florals yet a hater of aldehydes, so I knew that my opinions regarding this fragrance would be mixed.

Maitresse begins with a soft and powdery white floral blend. At this point I was glad that the aldehydes were not too prominent, yet disappointed that this fragrance didn't have enough power to intrigue me. Unfortunately Maitresse didn't have the strength of Agent Provocateur. To my nose it was a subtle, musky and soapy scent.

For some people this fragrance may be sexy, but for me, my definition of sexy is very different. If I had to describe Maitresse, I would say it is more romantic. Because it is so light, this fragrance would make a perfect daytime or office scent.

by Kwad