Pétale Noir (2012)

Pétale Noir by Agent Provocateur

Pétale Noir is a popular perfume by Agent Provocateur for women and was released in 2012. The scent is floral. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums.

Azzi Glasser

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Hyacinth, Lotus, Magnolia, Mandarin, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Orris root, Lily-of-the-valley, Neroli, Osmanthus, Rose, Blackcurrant, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Ginger, Labdanum, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco leaf, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.05.2019

5.0 5.0 9.0/10

Provocateur D'Amouage
Like all comments in my blind test series, this one was written by me before I knew the resolution and took 1:1 from my puzzle blog.

After a short, cologne-like, extraordinarily fresh, flowery and green prelude of, I think, mainly very beautiful, non-pitchy Neroli and something herbaceous with perhaps a little bit of lavender, what already indicated this fragrance as incompatible with the work place when smelling at the tube becomes apparent: an intense, oddly dense composite flower note, perhaps camomile, slightly stinky, I think.

Now that I have sprayed on the scent, I suddenly think: I know this unusual note, I have already smelled it in an Amouage. But then it will be difficult. Was that in Bracken Woman or in Lilac Love? Or are there even two different notes, one from Bracken and one from Lilac? I had tested both fragrances, Bracken also commented on them, but I passed on the samples from both of them months ago and cannot check my impression now, but in the course of time it quickly becomes clear that it must have been Bracken
The intensity of the note developing in the foreground is already violent and I am torn back and forth: Now I also mean to smell narcissus, that pleases me very much, but the chamomile impression, that is borderline for me. The narcissus reminds me of Myths Woman, also an Amouage, only here she is in contrast to Myths in the second row and more discreet. Gradually a detergent impression appears - this was also the case with Bracken!

I would think the test scent was really Bracken, but the test scent is weaker. Or is it the sprayer on the tube? My bottling Bracken was in one of the big TZ, which as you know spray very strongly. At this point I click on my comment about Bracken Woman and read what I wrote there. Oha...

FrauLohse - did you seriously send Bracken to me? A fragrance that I don't own but have already tested and commented on? Am I being led onto black ice here?

That'd be fun!

But maybe it is also this interplay, which I would call narcissis/basket flower/washing powder, the bracken and the scent, which I test here, have in common and which I personally perceive very strongly
Anyway, I'll go on describing, but it's harder now. I probably should have read my Bracken comment after finishing this blog.

The fragrance now becomes a little more pleasing floral, it also becomes more powdery and something sweet with coumarin is still there, a hint of cinnamon, yes I think it is cinnamon, but far, far in the background. Another flower is added. But I can't odourally isolate and identify them. Obviously, for me the components are now in order, they connect better. This phase lasts for maybe 4-5 hours. I like the fragrance despite a certain ambivalence towards the composite flower and the washing powder!

I suspect that this is one of those scents where you say in the first tests that they're too much and you dislike one note or another, but as soon as you wear the scent more often for some reason, you suddenly fall for it.

What an impressive only very slightly sweet, but for that bitter, flowery heart note!

Relatively soon it fades away however visibly and after 5-6 hours only a weak, flowery soapy remainder is left. The slight sweetness has disappeared and you can already guess that it is leaking into a warm, disappointing musk base.

In the end, all that remains is a breath of musk a thousand times smelled. After all, the musk is weak and not stuffy.

To unravel the base more precisely, I would have to really diesel in excessively and then wait until the head and heart notes have withdrawn. That would clearly be too much of a good thing. Thus I must leave the basis somewhat unclearly described.

Wasn't Bracken's base so amazingly pale? But the quality doesn't seem like an Amouage anymore.

But just two days later I still smell a lot of flower powder on my clothes from the test day.

Guys, I simply can't imagine Bracken-Woman without it anymore, even if the scent tested here seems to me to be much less green, much less intense and also less durable, and also perhaps has cinnamon with it, ends in musk and the next day there is no hint of patchouli on the clothes but powder flowers. Nor does he remind me of Eden of Cacharel like the one I saw. I somehow seem to be running away, because I keep asking myself, in spite of these beating counterarguments: Is it perhaps because of the other spray head and the season in which I am now testing: extremely dry and over 30 degrees heat? I had tested Bracken Woman in winter.

I don't need to do a second test anymore, my thoughts are obviously permanently mis-contaminated, that won't be any different if I test it again tomorrow. That's why this blog goes online after only one test day
Well, I now give a courageous tip: It is...uh...a less heavyweight, less trumpeting, but more conventional and therefore more socially acceptable distant relative of....Bracken Woman.

And you? What do you think FrauLohse might have sent me as number 3?

* "We must change that and emphasize the distant." "No, that's how it stops now." "But in the end it doesn't resemble Bracken at all!" "At first we even thought it was Bracken!" "But then he got more and more distant, far away!" "But emphasizing that looks stupid." Okay. Then we'll skip the reference to Bracken at the end." "Uh...is this still going on? Are we still on the air?" "Oh, yeah, hurry up!" *
7.5 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Black petal perhaps?
Got this just today, bought unsiffed and Discovered a hidden treasure. Quality perfume like the other Agent Provo's, long lasting, first class bottle. The flowers here are rather dark but not heavy, a soapy vibe with a hind of spice. Could wear it all year round, I am sure a compliment magnet. Reminds me alot of John Galliano's perfumes and Boudoir edp. A highly recommended perfume now is on top 10 of my collection!!!

"White Petals"
It is called Black Petals but for me it is wonderful white petals ...
Fresh, floral aroma ... wonderful hyacinth note at the opening which smells amazing throughout the duration of the fragrance,and so is magnolia, lotus flower,a bouquet of white flowers ... very natural indeed!
The leather note is obvious at first, but then begins to soften enough to dry until it seems only a small idea of this .
Of all the flavors of this AP series looks more at maitresse, this is the closest ...
If you're a fan of Maitresse worths a try or get it since it is only a special edition!
10.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Blimunda
A.P. turning more and more flowery and green!
Being my signature house, I am announcing with great sadness that this is the first Agent Provocateur creation that I don't like. The name already suggests it, but seems that I had been ignoring it; this baby comes with large label- ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY for FLORAL LOVERS! If you don't fit that category, you better stay away from it or you'll be blown away!

The initial blast was so familiar to me, and it enormously reminded me of Amouage Honour due to prominent lily-of-the-valley note. I was almost sure that Petale noir was going to follow the same powdery elegant and white path and that it was going to be even more sweet after settling down into warm base, but I was so wrong. Instead of that, with each new minute, the smell was turning more and more into sharp floral fragrance with green traces becoming that penetrating I had to wash it off. What I get from it are dominant notes of violet leaf, that green that at one point it resembled tomato leaf and strong hyacinth flowers. I get no base notes, except a bit of amber in the very beginning, but that would be all.

I am allergic to flowers, I can't help it.

Other than that, I would rate it with maximum note or at least 9 of 10 for its lasting power, projection, uniqueness, strength, bottle design, but I cannot omit to conclude that recently Agent provocateur has been leaning towards more and more flowery side what I personally do not like at all.

by DarkMatter