Aigner N°1 (2012) Eau de Toilette

Aigner N°1 (Eau de Toilette) by Aigner / Etienne Aigner
Bottle Design: Sotano Studio

Aigner N°1 (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Aigner / Etienne Aigner for men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Designer Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Pepper, Cedar leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Ginger, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Musk, Oud, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.11.2019

8.0 4.0 4.0 4.0/10

MajorTom
Metamorphosis in a different way
What fantastic fragrances had Aigner brought to the market in the last century? They found their way into me in numerous versions, be it the legendary Silver, a womanizer par excellence, then the Free Life, which for those times was courageous and almost rebellious, and last but not least the Super Fragrance, which for me was everything. All hired, which is a shame. Also number 1 had gotten a place over my washbasin for the daily use at that time and all the more surprised I was in the end, when I saw it again, almost shyly hidden, standing in a shelf. Such deja vu's scream of course almost to be tested.

After the disastrous result of the reformulated Trussardi uomo, however, my expectations of remakes sank to near zero, so it was actually easy for the Aigner N 1 to surprise positively here.

First impression: The original was darker, wasn't it? Actually, researched at home, yes, the original came along darker and as so often, the colour plays a not inconsiderable role. Because where the original started fresh and spicy, thanks to bergamot and pepper, the remake leaves something to be desired without me being able to say exactly why.

Second impression: fragrance development. Also here I liked the original - and I can still remember it better because of my excessive consumption at that time. It came woodier around the curve and the combination of finely dosed patchouli with Vetiver notes was simply great. The new one finds it difficult to set striking notes here, seems to me somehow "softer", more insignificant, more arbitrary. And the end resembles the previous idea. Where a combination of leather and moss then let the scent fade away, today it seems to me to be synthestically smoky. The bottom line is disappointing. Had I expected too much once more?

Third impression: Performance. Sprayed in the morning of the 80s, still noticed in the evening. Today: tested in the shop, three hours later, ehhhhh, hello, anyone else there? Shelf life weak, Sillage, well, what can I say, which Sillage? The bottle alone leaves a certain reminiscence of the good old days.

And so for me personally at the end of the day there is another remake in the room which I consider to have failed. A successful metamorphosis is an evolutionary adaptation to the current time and circumstances. Not executed here, I'm afraid. Too bad. Because in this way (but at least at least that) only the memory of once great litters of a great brand remains.