Excellent Men

Excellent Men by Al Haramain
Excellent Men is a perfume by Al Haramain for men. The release year is unknown. The scent is oriental-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesRose, Geranium, Tagetes, Hibiscus, Spicy notes, Blackcurrant, Passion fruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesMarine notes, Rose, Saffron, Coriander, Ginger, White pepper, Cardamom, Cypriol, Oud, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Spicy notes, Mahogany, Sandalwood, Ebony, Gaiac wood, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Musk

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 17.10.2020.

Got you back!
Again one of those scents I needed a temporary separation from to realize that something was missing. Excellent Men fascinated me back then, but also overtaxed me, which is why I wasn't sure whether I wanted to keep him. By an exchange with a nice parfumo I now recognized after a retest that Excellent is really excellent as it has a unique selling point.

The rose comes out most strongly here, is accompanied with fruity-sweet components and rounded off with a Herben oudnote, but this is really marginally used here and gives the fragrance only an undertone.

Of all the ingredients, I couldn't tell what exactly I was smelling out of here.
Fact is: you won't smell it a second time on the street!

I think it's a shame that it passes very quickly from the top note to the base note, this is a drydown in fast motion and what remains is also relatively fast very close. On textiles the fragrance lasts a little longer, but smells better on the skin.

From the favorable Arabic fragrance segment (with alcohol) still nothing better or comparably good smelled. I am curious about what I still stumble over, but the usual and often copied sweet (raghba) or herben (Black Afgano) oudbomben slowly go to my pointer, which is why here blind purchases are excluded in the future

Too much rose for me
Blindly bought this based on very good reviews.
Rose, rose, rose... and some discreet oud.
I can't share the enthusiasm of some who reviewed so favorable this perfume. Maybe it's just me. I hate rose dominant perfumes and not because i don't like roses, on the contrary, I love them. But the rose note in these arabians is so pungent and, unfortunately, so dominant. Al Haramain Excellent is a strong perfume, at least in opening. The opening really burns nostrils. For me it's a linear perfume, with an omnipresent rose note. Only in late drydown rose note diminished and a musk-amber faint combination can be revealed.
For lovers of rose note I reccomend Mukhallat Oud Al Mubakhar: it's even stronger than this.

Absolutely nothing in common with Lapidus PH as some say. Lapidus is heavenly.

EDIT: for compliance I'll not modify my original review, but I'll supplement it. I wore the perfume some days and I accommodate myself with it. Its stridency diminished and I could smell also under the harsh note of rose. Now I conclude that the perfume is not so bad, but still isn't between my favourites. It has good performances/price ratio and it could be a good choice for rose based perfumes lovers.

EDIT no. 2: in fact the perfume is outstanding. The quality is much above the price. Now I like it very much.

Amazing - unique Fresh and Aud
if you think its cheap in price. i agree but if you think its cheap in quality i am sorry you are mistaken. this is beautiful smell based on oud. Fresh, Auqa and unique combination of oud. i am just amazed how this is so cheap in price. 100 ML for $10. it lasts around 10-12 hours on my skin. i get compliments. drydown is just amazing. get it in your collection.

Carlitos01
Love or Hate ? I really don't know !
Al Haramain's EXCELLENT MEN is a very strange fragrance.
So far I still don't know if this is an extraordinary fragrance or trash.
It's fresh but it's strong.
It's open but it's loaded with musk, patchouli and woods including oud.
Where else do you find marine notes combining with oud?
It opens very loud with a clear statement "I am here!", The top is loaded with flowers - mainly rose... an entire bouquet of roses - and fruits - mainly passion fruit. But it's not overly sweet as the flowers are pretty mature and the fruits are already a bit sour. All this happens in an ambiance of bubbling fizziness and freshness.
Like when pop art was at its very beginning, and the common art lover could not distinguish if he was looking at a masterpiece or smeared spilled ink, EXCELLENT MEN leaves me without reaction. Do I like it or not?
Do I want to stop smelling it? NO! Come on you damn fragrance, do surprise me again! You will not take me by surprise with the heart notes...
But, yes... EXCELLENT MEN did it again with both the heart notes and the drydown. First there is an oriental twist with a rose-saffron oud accord, and then a woody comfortable dry-done.
The performance? Slightly above average.
The rating? A global 7.0 to 7.5/10.0.

AMAZING SCENT!!
I will come back and edit this review. I am just blown away by this fragrance!! I can not stop smelling my wrist!

The top is quite aquatic with exelllent aoud and cedarwood basenotes to anchor it!! I almost smell a slight bit of pepper in the middle notes and maybe anise. Upon further investigation it is too sweet to be anise. Maybe some labdanum or honey is keeping it sweet.

I will NO DOUBT be purchasing this for my fiance!!

An Aquatic Oud?
With Excellent Men Al Haramain creates a crossover of western and Arabian styles of perfumery. Especially in the head note this is superbly done. Next to a good portion of oud I smell lots of fresh, cool notes. As far as I can see, Excellent Men even has an aquatic appeal!

There is one idea that has not come to the mind of most western perfume lovers yet: Oud perfumes need not necessarily be opulent and sultry. With Excellent Men, this Arab brand shows how to do it!

Next to the freshness I sense some bright, spicy notes. It is always difficult to guess the fragrance notes if the manufacturer does not give any information. But I would like to think that this certain spiciness might be coriander which we find in a rather sharp and harsh form.

The best interaction of western spicy freshness and Arabian oud in my opinion takes place in the head note. After this, Excellent Men slows down a bit. The western part of spicy freshness takes over and overlaps the oud – at least on my skin.

This is not a serious deficit for a midmarket perfume. Excellent Men is a discovery for me. One will not find an oud like this among the releases of the western perfume brands. They prefer to preserve the cliché of florid Arabian nights an imaginations of harem eroticism. To all those who are interested to explore Arab perfumery beyond the current oud hype, I can highly recommend a test of Excellent Men.

Excellent Men can be worn throughout the year – due to its freshness even in summer!

Carlitos01Carlitos01 16 months ago
Rose, spices & woods. It's more complex than it feals at first snif. Flowers to begin with, the a rose-affron-oud combo and a woody drydown.

Hochspannung
by Male1979
by Mossawir
by Mossawir

Popular Al Haramain

L'Aventure by Al Haramain Portfolio - Neroli Canvas by Al Haramain Leather Oudh by Al Haramain Portfolio - Floral Sculpture by Al Haramain Black Oudh by Al Haramain Noora (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain Oudh 36 by Al Haramain Amber Oud Tobacco Edition by Al Haramain Haneen (Perfume) by Al Haramain Safwa by Al Haramain Portfolio - Royale Stallion by Al Haramain Amber Oud Gold Edition by Al Haramain Angel by Al Haramain Amira Gold by Al Haramain Étoiles Silver by Al Haramain Haramain Forever / For Ever by Al Haramain Sultan (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain Lamsa Gold by Al Haramain L'Aventure Knight by Al Haramain Urbanist / Prive Silver by Al Haramain