Maze Perfume Oil

Maze (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain

Maze (Perfume Oil) is a perfume by Al Haramain for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is oriental-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Bergamot, Vermouth
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Jasmine, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Amber, Musk, Praliné, Tonka bean

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 04.08.2019

Jubliant
Well balanced trip to see my grandmother
When I could not find "Maze" by typing it in the search bar I almost thought it was "AMAZE" but I knew AMaze did not have oud.

It does indeed start off as a nice Rose Oud. Quite Strong, but wearable. I would wear it through any season, because the rose and settling into a pleasant musk. I can tell the rose is of superior quality and Damask if I am correct? The rose is young, yet vintage, even my mother who dosnt like rose still liked it, because it was well balanced with the oud.

I picture walking into my grandma's house. First struck by a wonderful rosy smell of the garden outside her house. She welcomes me at her door smelling fresh of oud. The oud is not tart or dry, but is fresh and quite soapy on its drydown.We settle for tea at her table the musky smell of her house brings back memories of childhood for me as we talk well into the afternoon.

Wonderful scent! It is not quite strong enough nor last long enough for me to pay over $40 for a large bottle.
7.5 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Apicius
West-East Crossover for Every Day!
Due to AbuSafiyya and his new online shop, finally, the Arab fragrances come a bit closer to us. I got samples from him – and of course my first test had to be Maze! I got attracted by the nice flask into which Al Haramain fills the oil. However, my test was about the spray, not the oil, and some research on the internet seems to indicate that they are different, even though the name is the same.

We already know: if western brands copy the traditional Arabian style of perfume the result can be quite different. But with Maze, an Arabian brand covers the western style! They do it very well, but without completely hiding where they come from.

Maze does not at all start with the well known rose and oud combo which by now determines the cliché of Arabian perfumery. It is about musk – and musk or “misk” has been left out by the current Arab perfume hype. The rather whitish “misk” I smell here is already known to me from other Arab perfumes. It is accompagnied by a dry amber as you can find in numerous western perfumes. This combination is just solid; it forms a not too mellow, robust basic structure that this fragrance is built upon.

On this basic structure, we find a texture of different notes that is rather complex for an Arabic fragrance. As head note, Maze invents pleasantly tart, somewhat herbaceous notes. Within half an hour, Maze transforms itself from a Fougère into an Amber-Oriental. Notes of honey and florals enter the scene – however, just as discreet as it is right and proper for a sportive men's perfume. Approaching the base note – which comes rather quickly – I can detect more and more aspects of Arabian perfumery that I already know. I smell discreet echoes of the sweetness as it is in Micallefs Aoud Man, or in one of those heady, sweetish oils I already got to know elsewhere. There is lots of tradition in here, but they hide it very well.

In a way, Maze is very refined. It ties up with the fragrance experiences that the industry has impressed upon the global customer. But anything that is interestant about Maze is genuinely Arabic. And it is brought forward so discreetly that the not so well informed customer – or his environment – will not recognize it as such.

What I like about Maze is its discreet style, that comes along with that hide-and-seek game. For western noses, Maze is very much wearable. It is not bulky at all, and it can be used at all places where the traditional Arab perfumes would be simply too opulent. Just do not tell anybody – the connoisseur never tells!

Popular Al Haramain

L'Aventure by Al Haramain Excellent Men by Al Haramain Black Oudh by Al Haramain Leather Oudh by Al Haramain Étoiles Silver by Al Haramain L'Aventure Blanche by Al Haramain Mystique Homme by Al Haramain Sultan (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain Noora (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain Makkah by Al Haramain Haneen (Perfume) by Al Haramain Amber by Al Haramain Amira Gold by Al Haramain L'Aventure Knight by Al Haramain Dazzle Intense by Al Haramain Urbanist / Prive Silver by Al Haramain Rose Taifi by Al Haramain Oudi (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain Angel by Al Haramain Maze (Perfume Oil) by Al Haramain