Kingdom (2003) Eau de Parfum

Kingdom (Eau de Parfum) by Alexander McQueen

Kingdom (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Alexander McQueen for women and was released in 2003. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Mint, Neroli, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Jasmine, Carnation, Rhubarb, Rose, Celery seed
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.09.2018

SilverfireSilverfire 6 years ago

„For Your Inner Duchess”

Women have reported Kingdom as a masculine-leaning fragrance, but would a guy report it as masculine-leaning? Read on and discover the awful truth! Kingdom...
SherapopSherapop 7 years ago

„Beware of Errant Woodchips”

Brilliant!
As usual I’ve a bit of a hard time with fragrances known for being “skanky”, “dirty”, “animalic” and in broader terms, “challenging”. Because they never really seem so to me. And this is the case of Kingdom, too. It’s a fantastic fragrance, that’s for sure, but I get really nothing dirty or skanky here. Either I’m too used to live in the dirt myself, or have dated particularly clean people, because I get really no smell of sweat or “ladies’ parts” (let alone “man’s crotches”) here, or whatever other kinky stuff. Kingdom seems to me basically a complex, yet actually surprisingly mannered blend revolving around notes of rose, sandalwood, musk and cumin with a dark ambery-mossy base accord, and a silky frame of whiter floral notes. Surely not a light scent, and I see how a hefty dose of rose combined with an equally generous dose of cumin on a thick load of musk and woods can result into something “carnal”, alluring, almost intoxicating, but it doesn’t really seem anything particularly “skanky” or challenging to wear to me. It’s just more very vibrant, warm, refined and sensual, surely much “human” and somehow “carnal”, but not exactly dirty to me. Also as I said, it seems actually quite more mannered and smooth than I thought – not a “bomb”, really. It’s surely rich and deep, but not loud or more powerful than many others. It’s very velvety actually. Most vintage chypres are way more dirty, loud and challenging than this.

Anyway, aside from the fact it smells truly good, absolutely quality and surprisingly versatile (not sure why but in some way, this reminds me of a rose-spicy version of Yohji Homme, with a touch of something androgynous), the reason why I really like Kingdom and consider it a totally worthy gem is because of its charming complexity. That kind of intricated complexity that presents you a very harmonic, balanced, perfectly consistent blend that at first seems almost comprising only a small bunch of notes... until you get captured into it, and thrown among the myriad of nuances it has. And it’s like in a well-written poem – everything is in the perfect place, with a perfect timing. You don’t even have to pay that attention actually; you can wear it and forget about it, it will all come to you. Eventually you’ll get whiffs and echoes of carnation, amber, mossy notes, gentle powdery-floral notes, hard spices, even something resembling to silky orange blossoms (I guess the top citrus-neroli notes combined with the “whiter/softer” side of musk), just as if you’re wearing a half dozen of different scents, with an astounding clarity even in the tiniest, most ephemeral details. And yet, you’re always wearing just this one. It’s a peculiar effect some scents have – to release “minor” notes and nuances erratically during their evolution, and yet to keep their, say, “main structure”. I mean, it’s not that it changes or evolves dramatically – ironically it doesn’t that much. A pretty linear scent, in fact. But it has this cinematic effect of releasing coming-and-going nuances throughout its evolution, behind the main consistent structure of rose-cumin-sandalwood-musk, which makes wearing Kingdom a captivating, vibrant, extremely fulfilling experience. And anyway it smells just great, deep and classy, it lasts long without being obtrusive or challenging. Total quality. Prices today are really crazy for this, but you wouldn’t probably regret the purchase – even just to keep it as a reference collector’s item (or a beautiful piece of design... I mean, look at that bottle!).

8-8,5/10
2.5 10.0 8.0/10

Jeckl & Hyde...
Strangest perfume. Disliked the base and heart notes, whatever they are (all I could smell was pine throughout). Then four hours later and after yard work and a shower I couldn't believe the delightful smell. And I can't sample a new perfume on that wrist this am because it's still there. The thing is, I don't want to smell like pine for four hours, otherwise I'd be purchasing this one on line right now.

I am going to research on about the drydown and how/why it can do a 360 like this.

Kingdom
No, no, no! Why oh why did this perfume have to have a strange note that made the fragrance smell like bad body odor on my skin? I thought I would love this, or at least like it. This one really has me torn. I can smell something powdery and slightly sweet in it that I love. It "almost" has a classic feel to it. I say "almost" because I simply cannot get around the funky "unwashed, dirty body" smell. It ruins the entire scent on my skin. Such a shame. I wanted to love it but it turns out that I can't even like it. Unfortunately a "thumbs down" for me. The bottle is so cool looking and very unique but don't let that fool you and entice you. Make sure you test this one out before blind buying it. I'm sure glad I did!
5.0 7.0/10

For Your Inner Duchess

Kingdom goes on smelling like a nice wine, but the instant it hits my skin, it becomes an extremely powdery floral scent, like you're in the powder room of a high-end library. There's just a hint of something raunchy as well; it's animalic in a sexy way (not a sensual way). Lastly, the smell of the library is here -- that dusty paper aroma. Going by the notes, I get at least neroli, rose/carnation, and the skanky celery seed.

After an hour, it grows more pungent. The powder starts to diffuse, giving me a momentary noseful of hated benzoin, and the floral accord becomes sharper. A warm comforting note comes out, probably the ambergesis. The duration is upwards of six hours, but as the impact lessened, I was able to olfactorily tune it out, and so I don't know exactly when it left me.

Kingdom is not as domineering nor as formal as Mitsouko, yet it also imparts a regal air. It's comforting; it's strong; it's completely feminine. It's the perfect fragrance for a duchess or whenever you want to feel like one. You cannot escape the feminine identity of this fragrance, though, so guys may want to give this a pass. On a woman, I think Kingdom would range from charming to alluring, and its strength might well indeed make it masculine-leaning, though I myself would describe it as radiating an inner strength and poise often associated with nobility.
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Raw Sex
The musk and the animalic notes makes it smell so. At least as I imagine what hot raunchy sex smells like. Personally, I prefer "Boudoir" which has pleasant cinnamon notes laced into the fragrance.

It is not totally disagreeable to me but too potent to wear in public and too animalistic to wear in private.

If the musky notes were softer, I could tolerate it.

It is a remarkable fragrance - for the ones who can carry it off.

cumin: botanical v. animalic
I pulled out my sample of the discontinued (?) Kingdom edp with the thought that I’d single it out in my general complaint of the misuse of cumin to attempt to recreate animalic notes. When cumin is used to imply animalic notes, it typically doesn’t work, smells fake and makes the perfume seem cheap. I can’t say that Kingdom entirely escapes this trap. My complaint isn’t that the cumin is strong, but that it doesn’t actually recreate the animalic, and therefore, seen simply as a heavy spice note, is imbalanced and out of place. As I revisit Kingdom, I still find that a spurious note sinks the fragrance, but its not the huge cumin topnote. The real culprit is the mushy-musky drydown that seems like a thwarted attempt to emulate sandalwood.

Francis Kurkjian’s Lumière Noire pour Homme made me rethink the use of cumin. It pairs a roasted cumin scent with rose and recreates the feel if not the exact scent of the rose chypres of the 1970s-1980s. Kingdom reads more as an oriental than a nouvelle chypre, but both show that cumin is more effective as a patchouli adjunct than as a castoreum/civet/musk parallel.
10.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Sky
A raunchy wood-fest in an indian restaurant
What a strange beast of a fragrance...with a little latent beauty.

The bottle is wonderful. The scent is intriguing, strange, savoury & at some points difficult, stomach-churning & disturbing. Overall, I like it. I respect it for its unusual, uncompromising & artistic take but I feel sure I could never comfortably wear it.

I find the start a little tricky. It is suprisingly sensual for a perfume that is all about the bitter spice - perhaps even verging on "dirty". I have never before tried a perfume that starts out so completely like an indian dish. Warm, citrus, vegetal, & heavily dosed with dry, unsalted spices....& then the HUGE cumin monster eneters. I can actually taste the bitter perfumed food in my mouth if I sniff too hard. There is also plenty of timber to be found. Combine this with a dank, metallic-blood note it is a veritable wood-fest. Warmth, depth, dry cumin...cloaks & daggers, midnight chimes, the witching hour & lascivious looks. This part is slightly uncomfy for this innocent wearer.

Luckily, as Kingdom settles the ride gets easier - it mellows & warms, the sillage increases & the cumin reaches a more wearable level. I get a nice amount of dusty old roses & jasmine with a thick, cosy feel. There is a masculine soapy note that gives Kingdom an old fashioned regal appeal - like walking into a wood-panelled room filled with hand-bound books, old leather chairs, dusty persian rugs, shaveing cream & bristle brush standing next to a wash stand & bowl. Odd, but classic.

I never got the body odour whiff that others declared - although it did go through a stage of harsh soap & stale indian restaurant curtains that was deeply unappealing. On my skin it developed a bit of 'ash-tray' in the dry-down, but I never found it to be a complete scrubber.

Wear this to stand out without resorting to glam, glitz, glitter or shock tactics. It is completely sexless (male, female & anyone inbetween could wear it if they possess the right attitude) & yet Kingdom is rather full of sexual innuendo & a taint of the night before.

WARNING: Cumin-haters - run fast & keep running. It's coming to get you!
7.5 7.5 3.0/10

Beware of Errant Woodchips
Am I the only one who thought that a fragrance with the name KINGDOM would be intended for men? Am I the only one for whom this odd assortment of oriental notes ends by smelling like a reduction of redwood oil in the drydown? Honestly, this is one of the strangest creations I've ever sniffed! How do I get a woody-spicy perfume from an assortment of notes NONE of which is wood?

The ever-so-brief citrus opening of KINGDOM holds promise, but what happens next is an inexorable march to a pseudo-wood oil drydown, which becomes clunkier and woodier over time. I've worn this composition a few times, with the same final effect: the woodiest fragrance I've ever worn--yet it contains no wood whatsoever?! If the categorization of perfumes into feminine and masculine makes any sense at all, KINGDOM really is destined for men, it seems to me.

I am not put off, as are some, by what they are identifying as cumin in this composition, for in my case everything blends with everything else: celery seed, oakmoss, rhubarb, mint, carnation--you name it, it appears to be in here--as though mashed together with a mortar and pestle to produce something that is not in here at all! Weird, weird, weird.

Although I do believe that this composition is unique, when I put it on I find myself wondering: 1) when will the wood chips stop flying into my face? 2) can I actually wear this anywhere? 3) wouldn't this be a nice time for a bath?

For the record: this smells *nothing* like DUNE to me.

by elin