Gold Man 1983

Gold Man by Amouage
7.6 / 10 373 Ratings
Gold Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 1983. The scent is floral-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Main accords

Floral
Animal
Spicy
Oriental
Woody

Fragrance Pyramid

Top Notes Top Notes Dog roseDog rose Lily of the valleyLily of the valley FrankincenseFrankincense
Heart Notes Heart Notes Orris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine MyrrhMyrrh
Base Notes Base Notes AmberAmber OakmossOakmoss MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood CedarCedar CivetCivet

Submitted by Sani, last update on 05.02.2023.

16 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Top Review 19
Gold Man and the Magi
The other day it happened again: I was called as a doctor to the perfume institute for difficult to educate scents. I was generally regarded as a luminary in the field, which was due to the Dr. Parf. Alb. Mori. title. I had printed it out myself and my daughter had colored it in... but that's another story. Anyway, another maniac with an 80's scent had gotten high again, it must have been more than three squirts. Although it was late in the evening, they called me and I packed my things including my glasses and drove off. I didn't need the glasses but it looked smarter and I liked to play around with them during the hearings, nodded my head and usually gave a "Mhm mhh mmmh" from me. Everyone should know that I am a professional.

When I arrived, all the guards on the grounds were already walking around with breathing masks on. "Corona?" "No, the new inmate and his perfume..." That didn't bode well. I was led to him, a strong animal odour clung to him, was already streaming through the corridors. Cibet, clearly perceptible. I knew my way around, used to work in the zoo. With emperor penguins but that is not important. That's why I should do something for zoologists but that's another story and I don't want to leak the new emperor penguin perfume. I sat with the man. Well, that was a guy! But it had to be, the smell knocked me down! At first I thought it was Knize Ten, but the scent kept changing. And now I had to find out what it was. That was my job. I know it's scary, but life is no picnic.

"How did this happen, Mr....", I flipped through my notes for a moment, "Mr. Amouage?"
He looked confused "Well, the chemical spill here, or whatever they're on. Man, there's a constant stream of stuff floating around, you need a license for that!"
"These are the lilies of the valley that you perceive so strongly..."
"Yeah, sure. Let me guess, granny's flower pots are poorer too, you put jasmine and stuff in them?"
I tried to laugh cool "Yes, and Iris too..." "Oh, now I'm getting a little too much! Clearly I smell something soapy-animal what becomes darker and darker, almost earthy and cool! Surely these are not only your flowers?"
"No, I added some other ingredients... also some frankincense and myrrh." "Surely, which two of the Magi live within you? Caspar for sure, because that's what you are to me, a clown, a braggart! Who mixes all this together and from something animalistic becomes this! Something... moment... actually... very pleasing... what was in it again, the Lord?"

"Doctor, I know we live in an age where you can sense scents which are sweet, which smell like cotton candy or a beaver habitat. "It may be that I fell out of time as a child of the '80s. But don't you have to give me the scent history? My development from the animalistic with a soapy undertone to a well seasoned mixture of roses, jasmine and iris? A wonderful floral depth, which becomes even more intense with two resins? The incense very thoughtfully in the background, more a gentle ignition of the resin? And all this with the cool power of the moss, with patchy hints? Isn't that what makes a fragrance? Creativity and complexity?"

I was silent for a long time before I answered. "Well, you're right. Only who's going to wear it? You're not exactly a horse brand sugar water. And I can't taste smoky pineapple either."
"I'm not cut out for them either. You will find my followers where you will find followers of Kouros, Antaeus and what they are all called."

"My good man, you have convinced me. We are holding you unjustly, Mr. Amouage. What's that scent called, anyway?"
"Well, you were on the right track." "What's that supposed to mean?"
"You already had myrrh and frankincense," he said when leaving the room a free man. "The third gift was still missing, then you have the name!"

I was smitten with him. It took days for his perfume to escape from the interrogation room. I took off my glasses and waved them in my hand. Gold, huh?
Top Review 15
The king
Here has certainly been reached one of the highest peaks of perfection in perfumery.
How could it be otherwise, if behind this masterpiece there is a Chypree-master like Guy Robert?
In 1983, the Sultan of Oman had him come to Oman specifically to make the first magnificent Amouage perfume.
An olfactory gemstone without equals.
He introduced the maximum finest delicacy to Guy Robert, the noblest Omani raw materials, and the great genius created this grand chypre containing more than 120 elements skillfully orchestrated in an amazing perfume!
A soapy and slightly smoky opening with notes of dog rose, frankincense and myrrh. A flowery heart follows, in which the dryness of the lily of the valley lends a green eyelash to the Indolic, warm and animal jasmine, which is supported by a very pronounced cibet note Follows a very woody background with cedar wood, patchouli and Mysore sandalwood. The usual Kadin as with every Chypree is however the oak moss, which lends a damp and dark earthiness, which thickens the entire composition and makes it a timeless masterpiece This is not a perfume, but it is the quintessence of perfumery of all time and intended only for noses that love the flower animal chypree.
A bow to the ingenious Robert, who always lives in the memory of every vintage perfume enthusiast, because from here the story passes!
Helpful Review 11
Grandma's Curd Soap
A splash of Amouage Gold and everyone knows that you're coming - it's like Mach 1 without hearing protection, or like Rammstein's "Here comes the sun"... After the first test splash on the back of my left hand I wanted to keep my hand 10 meters away (if only I could) and wash it off immediately - what an incredibly "loud" thing, this gold fragrance... Yes, I like to interpret the olfactory sensation of perfume in an "acoustic" comparison - so that you can "hear" the effect of perfume from a completely different, completely new perspective...
And although I was a bit shocked by the first impression, I then courageously devoted myself to careful sniffing (actually mainly because the toilet was occupied and I couldn't wash it down immediately...). The soap-clean "Uuuiiih" impression was repeated a few times until I got used to it. Unfortunately after that my nose was so drunk that I could only concentrate on the total amount of the fragrance for a while and then I was astonished and surprised to find that GM (at least for me) smells just like the curd soap, which my grandmother used to have as a big rectangular block in the bathroom - just in extremely highly concentrated form...!
Well, what more can I say about that? The details of the smell have already been analysed here. The smell is really, really extremely intensive - with me it keeps loosely between 12-14 hours, basis even up to the other day, thus completely gently dosage, it remains also then still very "loud"...! And - only use outdoors, or when you are alone. In the office you definitely make yourself a target - I tried it once, so you better leave it...!

Top Review 7
Powdery Animalic
I had no notion until I smelled Gold Men that I'd formed an image (fantasy) in my mind of what the old-school animalic floral/orientals of the early 20th century were. On smelling Gold Men, I realized that I did, and that this was it.

Sensational, huge powdery animalic fragrance. Now I understand why these old perfumes were both powdery and animalic. If you do it right, it's brilliant.

As spectacular a ride as the top and heartnotes of this perfume are, the drydown is one of the best I've smelled. It's there, softer and quieter than the topnotes, but it remains fully-fleshed and complete. The drydown isn't just a ghost of the heartnotes.

Gold Men is powerful and distinctive. Not for shrinking violets, not for somebody who doesn't want to be identified for his scent. Certainly not for someone who wants to read as contemporary in a pop or trendy sense. Gold Men is more a leader than a follower in this respect. It is one of a very few fragrances that I could wear forever and be utterly happy.
Ambivalent
Something between royal, flowery, soapy, one-time AND late toilet flush, urine, too much honey, bäh.
Could indeed rate this fragrance with 10, but also with only 1 star.
There is no other fragrance that is so ambivalent for me.
I am confused and therefore I am not giving any points at the moment.