Gold Man 1983

Gold Man by Amouage
Gold Man is a perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 1983. The scent is floral-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Guy Robert

Top Notes Top NotesDog rose, Lily-of-the-valley, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedar, Civet

Submitted by Sani, last update on 17.11.2020.

Channel 5 for man
The best way to describe this perfume: imagine the Channel 5 for man. I can get the aldeyds vibe, although this formula don't mention it. You will get what i mean if you try it. Is not a crowd pleaser, but a perfume love or hate.
Only for man? Well, i can imagine Queen Elizabeth wearing this perfume.
Gold Man and the Magi
The other day it happened again: I was called as a doctor to the perfume institute for difficult to educate scents. I was generally regarded as a luminary in the field, which was due to the Dr. Parf. Alb. Mori. title. I had printed it out myself and my daughter had colored it in... but that's another story. Anyway, another maniac with an 80's scent had gotten high again, it must have been more than three squirts. Although it was late in the evening, they called me and I packed my things including my glasses and drove off. I didn't need the glasses but it looked smarter and I liked to play around with them during the hearings, nodded my head and usually gave a "Mhm mhh mmmh" from me. Everyone should know that I am a professional.

When I arrived, all the guards on the grounds were already walking around with breathing masks on. "Corona?" "No, the new inmate and his perfume..." That didn't bode well. I was led to him, a strong animal odour clung to him, was already streaming through the corridors. Cibet, clearly perceptible. I knew my way around, used to work in the zoo. With emperor penguins but that is not important. That's why I should do something for zoologists but that's another story and I don't want to leak the new emperor penguin perfume. I sat with the man. Well, that was a guy! But it had to be, the smell knocked me down! At first I thought it was Knize Ten, but the scent kept changing. And now I had to find out what it was. That was my job. I know it's scary, but life is no picnic.

"How did this happen, Mr....", I flipped through my notes for a moment, "Mr. Amouage?"
He looked confused "Well, the chemical spill here, or whatever they're on. Man, there's a constant stream of stuff floating around, you need a license for that!"
"These are the lilies of the valley that you perceive so strongly..."
"Yeah, sure. Let me guess, granny's flower pots are poorer too, you put jasmine and stuff in them?"
I tried to laugh cool "Yes, and Iris too..." "Oh, now I'm getting a little too much! Clearly I smell something soapy-animal what becomes darker and darker, almost earthy and cool! Surely these are not only your flowers?"
"No, I added some other ingredients... also some frankincense and myrrh." "Surely, which two of the Magi live within you? Caspar for sure, because that's what you are to me, a clown, a braggart! Who mixes all this together and from something animalistic becomes this! Something... moment... actually... very pleasing... what was in it again, the Lord?"

"Doctor, I know we live in an age where you can sense scents which are sweet, which smell like cotton candy or a beaver habitat. "It may be that I fell out of time as a child of the '80s. But don't you have to give me the scent history? My development from the animalistic with a soapy undertone to a well seasoned mixture of roses, jasmine and iris? A wonderful floral depth, which becomes even more intense with two resins? The incense very thoughtfully in the background, more a gentle ignition of the resin? And all this with the cool power of the moss, with patchy hints? Isn't that what makes a fragrance? Creativity and complexity?"

I was silent for a long time before I answered. "Well, you're right. Only who's going to wear it? You're not exactly a horse brand sugar water. And I can't taste smoky pineapple either."
"I'm not cut out for them either. You will find my followers where you will find followers of Kouros, Antaeus and what they are all called."

"My good man, you have convinced me. We are holding you unjustly, Mr. Amouage. What's that scent called, anyway?"
"Well, you were on the right track." "What's that supposed to mean?"
"You already had myrrh and frankincense," he said when leaving the room a free man. "The third gift was still missing, then you have the name!"

I was smitten with him. It took days for his perfume to escape from the interrogation room. I took off my glasses and waved them in my hand. Gold, huh?
Ambivalent
Something between royal, flowery, soapy, one-time AND late toilet flush, urine, too much honey, bäh.
Could indeed rate this fragrance with 10, but also with only 1 star.
There is no other fragrance that is so ambivalent for me.
I am confused and therefore I am not giving any points at the moment.

The king
Here has certainly been reached one of the highest peaks of perfection in perfumery.
How could it be otherwise, if behind this masterpiece there is a Chypree-master like Guy Robert?
In 1983, the Sultan of Oman had him come to Oman specifically to make the first magnificent Amouage perfume.
An olfactory gemstone without equals.
He introduced the maximum finest delicacy to Guy Robert, the noblest Omani raw materials, and the great genius created this grand chypre containing more than 120 elements skillfully orchestrated in an amazing perfume!
A soapy and slightly smoky opening with notes of dog rose, frankincense and myrrh. A flowery heart follows, in which the dryness of the lily of the valley lends a green eyelash to the Indolic, warm and animal jasmine, which is supported by a very pronounced cibet note Follows a very woody background with cedar wood, patchouli and Mysore sandalwood. The usual Kadin as with every Chypree is however the oak moss, which lends a damp and dark earthiness, which thickens the entire composition and makes it a timeless masterpiece This is not a perfume, but it is the quintessence of perfumery of all time and intended only for noses that love the flower animal chypree.
A bow to the ingenious Robert, who always lives in the memory of every vintage perfume enthusiast, because from here the story passes!
Grandma's Curd Soap
A splash of Amouage Gold and everyone knows that you're coming - it's like Mach 1 without hearing protection, or like Rammstein's "Here comes the sun"... After the first test splash on the back of my left hand I wanted to keep my hand 10 meters away (if only I could) and wash it off immediately - what an incredibly "loud" thing, this gold fragrance... Yes, I like to interpret the olfactory sensation of perfume in an "acoustic" comparison - so that you can "hear" the effect of perfume from a completely different, completely new perspective...
And although I was a bit shocked by the first impression, I then courageously devoted myself to careful sniffing (actually mainly because the toilet was occupied and I couldn't wash it down immediately...). The soap-clean "Uuuiiih" impression was repeated a few times until I got used to it. Unfortunately after that my nose was so drunk that I could only concentrate on the total amount of the fragrance for a while and then I was astonished and surprised to find that GM (at least for me) smells just like the curd soap, which my grandmother used to have as a big rectangular block in the bathroom - just in extremely highly concentrated form...!
Well, what more can I say about that? The details of the smell have already been analysed here. The smell is really, really extremely intensive - with me it keeps loosely between 12-14 hours, basis even up to the other day, thus completely gently dosage, it remains also then still very "loud"...! And - only use outdoors, or when you are alone. In the office you definitely make yourself a target - I tried it once, so you better leave it...!

DorothyGrace
Gold by name but not by nature
27/05/2019
Update to say that no, in the sun it doesn't improve on my skin and smells of dense powder and marmite (which I think is how heavy civet reads to me).

01/20/2017
On me, Amouage Gold for Men just doesn't work - at all.

It smells like one thing on my chest, another on my arm where it totally falls apart, something else on cotton wool in a jar, different on my cardigan.
I was expecting something exceedingly rich, opulent, unctuous, radiant, but overall was left wanting. On my skin it comes across as lower quality, less inovative, just less than perfumes such as Aromatics Elixer, Mon Parfum Cheri Par Camille, Nuit de Noel, to name a few (of mine).

I think the nearest I can get to what people who love this perfume smell is on a ball of cotton wool placed in a jar in a warm spot near the heater. Then it smells a little like Caleche, more like Amouage Gold for Women. Less bright than Caleche with less sparkle, more powdery, denser in the musks, less projection. Having used up my sample of Gold for Women so going only by memory Gold for men is less floral, a bit sour, denser in the musks which are cloying in comparison.

On my chest Gold for Men is a dirty, lemony, super sour, jasmine. Really awful on my skin its development is a complete shocker and not in the least like I expected from my tester strip.

Five or six hours after application, my forearm skin smells beautiful with a dry, woody, oakmoss earthiness. Rather like the far dry down of Aromatics Elixir although somewhat tamer and this phase lasts only for an hour or so.

Two or three separate smells take it in turns to waft to my nose. First I pick up a fruity lemon, a little shampoo in feel, a little sour, a little off like a toilet block cleaner. Then there is a heavy vanilla mixed with jasmine and rose which reminds me of Teint de Neige but not so powdery and a bit dirty, a bit vanilla and floral beeswax furniture polish. My cardigan has a slight smoke to it, a bit resinous. There seems to be a whole menagerie of musks.

Something about it keeps bringing to mind suntan lotion and it reminds me of back stage at body building competitions where the air hangs heavy with a myriad of suntan oils, hair products, makeup, perfume, fake tan, and hard work.

On my forearm this is one of the worst behaved perfumes I have ever tried as it totally falls apart and won't give an overall impression; it's like moving from room to room with a different room spray in each - most disconcerting.

I am going to save the remainder of my sample so that I can see whether it performs better for me in the hot summer sun. I have other perfumes that only work for me in the heat so I am interested to see if this one will join that motley crew.

Formula available from 2016.

Amouage Gold Man
The Omani perfume company Amouage had been on my radar for quite some time before I managed to pluck up enough courage to order a batch of samples of some of their fragrances. Having tested about a dozen of them, I can now see that ignoring this firm for so long was an act of utter foolishness. I must admit most of them are right up my alley: memorable, statement-making scents, composed of only top-notch ingredients. The first one I’m going to review is Amouage’s ur-masculine perfume, Gold Man.

From the very first spray, Gold Man took me by surprise- and a very pleasant one at that. It opens with a burst of floral notes, the most detectable one of which to my nose is lily-of-the-valley. Nevertheless, the fragrance remains floral only for a minute or so on my skin until soapy notes emerge. I remember that when sampling Gold Man for the first time, I had to check I was not actually testing its female counterpart since such a straightforward floral-soapy accord can rarely be found in masculine scents. It quite literally made my heart beat a tad faster! The soap-and-flower accord usually lingers on my skin for about half an hour. After that, it undergoes a gradual transformation with the arrival of musk and civet, thanks to which the fragrance adopts a more animalic character in the base. Yet the soapy notes never totally yield to the musk and civet, and thus prevent the scent from becoming too animalic.

I just couldn’t help falling in love with Amouage’s Gold Man! There are so many things about it that make my nose and heart rejoice whenever I put it on: its genderbending composition, superb blending of its notes as well as its effortless elegance. Despite not being a scent for all occasions, if the right one comes along, take my word for it: wear it, but be prepared to leave a few broken hearts in your wake. Exquisite!

Scent of the harem
I re-visited Gold PH today.
My first try was a failure and I did not like it, I wonder why.
Today I found one of the most luxurious perfumes I ever tested. As good as Bogue's Maai. Or even better. An amazing dry down.
Is it for men?
Is it for me?
This is the scent of a harem.
So, I just can dream.
2.5

Or just gold-plated...
If this is how a gold man should smell according to Amouage, I don't even dare to imagine how their take on a gold woman will be... Don't fool yourselves, this is Russia's secret weapon. If you ever wondered why good old Vladimir Putin is so successful in having his way with everyone, here's your answer. It's not Russian tanks or planes or missiles or submarines or whatever that force everyone into submission. It's an unstoppable compulsion to run away from him as soon as possible, even if that means that you will have to give him your house and your family as part of the deal. Who could last more than ten minutes sitting next to someone doused in it, especially when this someone can allegedly kill you with his bare hands as well, if his perfume fails to do so? It could also be the secret behind Vladimir's otherwise inexplainable rise to power. Being a former KGB member, he'd surely had some ways to lay hands on some bottles, during an era when perfumes were not exactly in abundance there, especially perfumes THAT expensive. Oh, and its name is all about subtlety and low profile. Two traits that are unequivocally known to be Vladimir's middle names. What was that? Oh yes, how does it smell... Well, it smells like myrrh and insense, mixed and burned to glorify Vladimir's grandeur, while he's trying to blow off some (testosterone scented) steam, by hunting civet cats during a state visit in Vietnam. So, depending on whether you like Putin and his Russia or not, you should either request that Amouage Gold Man becomes a centerpiece in Russia's flag, or banished from the face of Earth forever. There's no middle-of-the-road way with it...

Drseid
Good, But Difficult To Wear...
Gold is very floral with rose and lily of the valley notes to start, and then stays floral throughout all the way to the dry-down (which adds a nice helping of musk) I guess I have not noticed the civet note like others, as the scent only has a slight animalic smell to my nose. Gold is tremendously potent (and I mean POTENT), with super projection and sillage as well. Unlike some, I can indeed see someone pull this off as I do believe this is wearable from a male perspective. That said, it takes a *very* confident man, and probably most will feel a tad uncomfortable wearing this (myself sadly included). Nice effort, just limited audience appeal. 3 out of 5 stars.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
A very heavy, yet unique powdery floral and animalic Chypre, slowly softened by its more gentle earthy-woody base. Keep sprays to a minimum!
MarkusmikeMarkusmike 1 year ago
It is a chypre done to perfection....... rich,opulent,regal,sophisticated......a true masterpiece!!!
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 4 years ago
Gold on cotton wool in a bowl 11 days going strong, smells lovely. If it smelt like this on my skin it would be worth its price to me.

by Andreas09
by Serge
by Jakoparfum
by Jakoparfum

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage