Bracken Man (2016)

Bracken Man by Amouage

Bracken Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Bergamot, Cypress, Provençal lavender, Nutmeg, Clove
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Cinnamon, Cedarwood, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Musk

Submitted by Michael, last update on 04.08.2020.

The scent is part of the „The Midnight Flower“ collection.

Benedikt2019
"In the woods there are things to think about that could lie in the moss for years" (Franz Kafka)
Rarely has a quotation been more suitable for creating a connection to a fragrance than the one above by Franz Kafka. At least there are at least three existential keywords for the "Bracken", which bring us closer to the fragrance: Forest, reflection, moss. Why I will explain in the following:

Forest: If you read the scent pyramid, you could quickly agree with the ratings, a spicy scent awaits you after pressing the spray button. Clearly, there are endless wild notes, but what they create is a forest covered with Kafka. The fragrance is extremely "green" for me and does its name justice, it smells exactly like ferns. Of course, once you have tested it several times, you can smell the individual components - especially cinnamon - increasingly better, but overall the impression remains that you are standing in the forest, maybe by a stream, with wild ferns growing alongside and the sun shining lightly through the foliage.

Moos: Yes, you have to admit that Kafka is right here, too, at least as far as a characteristic of Moss that some people find unpleasant: it smells slightly damp, stale, musty and a little sweaty and muggy. However, those who appreciate the mossy tones of a fragrance will be happy with "Bracken". As already announced, it gives a slightly moist, musty-mossy impression. However, it still keeps within limits enough for the freshness that is also present to get the upper hand. So we can confidently stay on our mossy-fern meadow by the stream and: Think!
Thinking: Yes, it is a beguilingly playful scent that invites you to dream. Whether it has to be for years, as Kafka demands, remains to be seen, but for a few hours certainly. If you find yourself in the described forest landscape during the entire wearing period and can hardly escape the strength of the scent. At least 14 hours it remains with just 2 sprays, my strongest from Amouage. The projection is phenomenal almost the whole time.

You very so with the "Bracken" you get a nice spring scent, which is again more artwork than usual scent. Just something for those special days. Just be careful with very hot temperatures, it might get too moosy and annoy everyone. You should also make sure that you buy it at a good price, otherwise it is outrageously expensive! Last but not least you have to take care that you keep the green forest and don't let it drift off into the cinnamon spice chaos.

Farewell!
FFL
Boy, don't dawdle like that....
... my mother always said - lovingly meant, not rushing - when she roamed through the forest to pick lilies of the valley. As a teenager, I helped her out sometimes. Not because I had to, but because I enjoyed watching the lily of the valley bouquet grow in my hand. But perhaps I had already (unconsciously) appreciated the soothing, decelerating effect of the smell of damp wood, rarely found lavender and - for this perfume - fern (Bracken)
Now, as an adult, I am especially grateful for everything that decelerates, earths and lets you breathe deeply. Here comes Bracken Man, whom I perceive as green-woody, just in time. And so sometimes I catch myself applying it in the evening after a long working day before I pour myself a glass of wine. For the office itself, this typical Fougère fragrance also works, but should be carefully dosed, because...

...unfortunately not everyone likes it. It is too "strict" for my wife and I have to admit that - especially in the top note - it is dominated by a very spicy carnation, which in my opinion fits better as an ingredient in a mulled wine than in a perfume. As soon as this note subsides, the fragrance becomes smoother and closer to the body, almost cosy (probably due to the patchouli).

As a target group I suspect men of a slightly more mature age who like green, clean barbershop fragrances. I estimate the shelf life at 6 to 8 hours.

This fern herb (flacon design fits perfectly, by the way) presents itself as an innovative (and not at all Amouage-typical) European evergreen scent, which can touch, but also inspire. Maybe I should go wander through the forest of my homeland again...

By the way, this is my first comment on this great platform; forgive me for not responding to some scents (which I just can't smell) due to lack of experience. My nose is still in training ;-)

Your Frankfurt Fragrance Lover (FFL)
Turbobean
A tailcoat at outlet price
It's a drama that oriental scents aren't for me. What a fertility this is! What a Sillage! What a shelf life! My favorites can't stink at all against that. I need 0.5 to 1.0 ml of my scents to get reasonably through the day. With this Amouage here only 0.15ml are necessary, so two sprayers, and everything smells all day long like a great mixture of 68er patchouli with noble lavender soap.

Bracken Man smells like a men's fragrance of the 80s. Hey Catch22 and DasguteLife and soul mates!! That's one for you! Wow, those were scented personalities back then. No IsoAmbrox stuff, no synthetic sweetness, but genuine, honest perfume trade with genuine, honest raw materials. Such one is also Bracken Man, although from 2016.

I am surprised that Habit Rouge is not mentioned here as a fragrance twin. It is also patchouli-embossed, and the heaviness of this fragrance is skillfully carried up by fresh, soapy notes. Oh yes: I can test elegance. One (n) is dressed like with a tail coat, which can be also times very beautiful. Just not in the office or in the subway.

About a month ago, his colleague Konsalik wrote a blog. "The rating problem." This is the dilemma I'm facing right now. I don't know how to evaluate the fragrance, because on the one hand it's a great composition with excellent performance, which, on the other hand, makes the fragrance a real bargain: two years of expressive and high quality fragrances for 150,- Euro. I think that's a good price. On the other hand, as much as I appreciate him, I would never wear him myself
A compromise assessment, let's say 7.5, would in no way do justice to the fragrance. He deserves at least 8.5, even though I don't use him.
From Zero to Hero
Well, what do you say to that now:)
I don't want to be too long!

First of all, I have to say that I am indeed an Amouagefan. Jubilation, Interlude, Memoir, but also Silver and Sunshine are high on my list. All the more pleased I was about the Brackenprobe...
As we all know, the summer was very hot!!! Ready, on my feet...& I wanted to test him!!!!
Said, sprayed, done...
Assaaber, what was that? The top note reminded me of my childhood! But not in anything good. It was a cough syrup I always had to take. Green, herbaceous, medical...

Well, you could have expected..., but like that??????

Uh-uh... but too late to shower again...

Hope dies last and fragrances develop...
Still in the bus I thought that the others were wondering who here the green botany radiates from Bobbes.

But then, when you arrive, greet friends and a "ohhhh"... "ahhh"..., you're good!
Could it be?
Me? The medical gardener on his way out?

He became beautifully spicy, oriental with classic Amouage DNA!

He shot himself into the upper league behind my back!

Shelf life with me with 10-12 hours definitely top!!!

Flacon! Already a chicer!!

Definitely a great Bracken!

Smellscent
Can Amouage be green to me...?
... so I thought to myself again and again while looking at the fragrance pyramids of this brand and was regularly deterred by the high brown, red, pink and orange parts. Well, I geb´ yes to, oriental, leathery, sweet, powdery, gourmand spice bombs with overlong life and projection are just not my thing and therefore long the attitude: Amouage, no thank you!
So far, so good, the theory...
Then one day I discovered the Bracken Man in the pleasingly designed bottle, the interesting fragrance pyramid without too much dark brown and dark red parts and the realization that Bracken (together with fern) is the English word for fern Fern? Since when does fern grow in Oman (origin of Amouage)? Have they now planted water plantations on a grand scale? I always thought that under the tropical sun camels and cacti felt more at home there. Oha, that sounded interesting now, not least because I'm already a fan of the herb-green-citric fragrance segment.
Then the filling of parfumo Viktor delivered in a proven manner extremely carefully and pleasantly filled...
For me, the fragrance is a real wow experience and ONE of the discoveries of my past perfumo time! I would now describe it as "oriental light", pleasantly soft clove with cinnamony, slightly fruity floral notes. I wouldn't call this fragrance green, especially a fern note (like e.g. Arlington by D.R. Harris) I can't recognize at Bracken Man.
The scent is very pleasantly skin-emphasized, the Sillage clearly noticeable but according to my understanding nevertheless not obtrusive. A single spray in the morning is enough for me all day long. The best time to wear it is actually all year round, with the exception of high summer, when citric-freshen fragrances are more appropriate.
In any case, Bracken Man will be a bottle in my collection in the medium term, with which the topic Amouage is (for the time being ? ?) checked off for me
SirAddy
If you can't see the forest for the trees...
This comment has a long history that I personally found important, because it also reflects the complexity of Amouage fragrances. It was also my first fragrance in the luxury segment to be consciously bought by me. It's a very personal thing for me. If you are not interested in all this, jump directly to "Dufteindruck".

Background:

I wanted to treat myself to a really great and noble fragrance for my final thesis. I had my first contact with Amouage at a very nice perfumery in Bielefeld. There are almost exclusively niche fragrances and many classics. I honestly have to admit Amouage didn't make it easy for me at all. Several fragrances were presented to me that day by Interlude, Jubilation XXV, Epic, Honour, Gold and finally Sunshine. Actually I have a good nose (especially because of my whisky hobby) but already after Interlude I only smelled oregano, incense and ash. The complexity and power of these fragrances overtaxed me to such an extent that I rejected them gratefully at first. I finally bought Habit Rouge from Guerlain that day. It's fantastic, but now it's more of a standard fragrance that every well-assorted perfume man should have in his collection. It's a classic. To say goodbye the nice and experienced customer advisor gave me a sample of Bracken Man, which I put completely uninterested in my backpack
Again and again, looking at the ratings at Parfumo, I went to the perfumery several times a week to try out various Amouage fragrances. I was so fascinated and at the same time deterred (perhaps also overtaxed?) that for a long time I could not even decide on a fragrance. Tests on the skin, more samples and even fillings here via souks. Nothing helped my "I-Want-Amouage-But-Not-What-What-What-Phase". Bracken, although there was a bottle in the perfumery, remained untested. Looking at the prices of the Amouage fragrances, the following thought occurred to me: "Perhaps the decision is so difficult because you simply don't like anyone so much for the money? I talked about it with friends and acquaintances. They looked similar. I'm supposed to try something else. So I gave up Amouage and didn't look for other alternatives.

Now a somewhat clichéd twist follows for which I am not ashamed, but which I find somewhat embarrassing retrospectively, since I am an absolute Fougère fan. About six weeks later, while cleaning up, I notice the completely ignored Bracken Man sample. When I opened the lid of the high-quality sample, I immediately felt like I was back on the first day in the perfumery. Due to the jerk on the lid, the first load of lavender came so energetically towards me that I first thought I had pulled off the lid with the sprayer and distributed the contents in the booth. But this time we were in my territory. I consciously read time, smelled and smelled and smelled...like a good whisky.

Fragrance impression:

Lavender and clove, green-fresh and with a cleanliness - I can hardly describe it any other way. The prelude has a naturalness that I miss in many other perfumes that go in a fresher direction. I wouldn't say the scent's soapy. Definitely I associate with Bracken Man but purity and contrary to that raw nature. Imagine being freshly washed and shaved, ready for great deeds, stepping on a forest floor covered with fern. In addition, there is a very beautiful floral-woody note, especially in the heart note, which is really fine due to the spices. Cinnamon is really perceived very discreetly, which is probably due to the patchouli in the base and the cedar wood. The latter in particular adds a fresh, woody note that slightly covers the spices. The basis one might suspect would be somewhat difficult, but this is absolutely not the case. There's really been a lot of work done here. The patchouli and musk are very well balanced in Bracken and so well integrated that they hold the whole composition together and round it off beautifully.

Sillage and shelf life are very good with this fragrance. I personally don't notice Bracken after about 1-2 hours, but after 8-9 hours and generally throughout the day, I always get a glimpse of this very elegant Fougère. Especially with authentic and natural fragrances, this is completely normal, as the nose simply gets used to it. Several people have already confirmed to me that they can smell the "liquid fern herb" on me from a good distance. Not space-consuming, but not inconspicuous either. Somewhere in between. So far I have only received compliments.

Conclusion:

The Fougère theme has been skilfully implemented by the Amouage perfumers and adapted to modern times. A perfect all-rounder who can certainly surpass himself at milder temperatures (spring, autumn). An absolute masterpiece. After this revelation I was really annoyed that I left the sample lying unnoticed in the corner for so long.
Anarlan
These precious days I'll spend with you.
Although I have spent far more than half of my life so far in large cities at home and abroad, I cannot speak freely of the strangely irrational, ambivalent, mystical longing of the Germans for "their" forest. Even when I think of scents, I regularly go into raptures over woodland echoes, and I suspect that this theme could come to me even more extensively. That I would feel the same with Bracken Man was a real surprise in two respects.

Amouage is, with a few exceptions, not one of my brands, which is due to the fact that oriental opulence in fragrances leaves me rather cold under the aspect of "wearing it myself". Amouage, however, would no longer be counted among the authentic Orientals, and besides, it's also the untypical, i.e. non-oriental Amouages that I like to call everybody's darling Reflection Man and -respect, Fougère, even if not classic Sunshine Man. Whether I am a clichéd representative of western fragrance or simply not yet mature for the olfacto-cultural appropriation of animal, heavy ouds and balsam and spice bombs, I leave to the wide field of the future.

In addition - the second unequalled class goal - classical Fougères are not necessarily among my identity donors. This is due to the firm neck grip typical of Classy Fougère, which is often too abrupt, too Y-chromosomal, too soapy-sweetish-mossy-groupy and uncharming. A classic Fougère doesn't smile charmingly and slyly, but sometimes grabs with clenched teeth and hurts a bit. But everything has its time, as we all know
Bracken Man actually belongs to this Art Fougère. Actually. But.

But one at a time.

Last September, as the month came to an end, I went on a short visit to the area where I was born. There are vast mixed and coniferous forests far away from the background noises of civilization, and I had set my mind on introducing my city plants to the magic of the forest, as I remembered it from my childhood days of picking blueberries. So I packed the children and the man into the car and into the golden green of late summer, hoping to find untouchedness dripping with romantic moss and lichen mysticism.

The weather was autumnally cool, in the morning there was Droste-Hülshoff-like dense fog, but the afternoons were crystal clear and sunny. The September sunlight fell through the treetops like in a fairy tale.

Golden days.

As we climbed over rotten, decaying wood, sank into thick green cushions and sank deeper and deeper into the forest of my childhood, the usual moaning and clamouring of the brood, which had been dawdling behind me for some time, ceased and it became increasingly quiet. In the precious moments of the collective shutting up, one could perceive every branch crackling that one produced when walking across the moss floor, strangely amplified and reflected by the proverbial forest echo. And before we knew it, we were swallowed by the strange physics of the forest.

The magic was happening.

In front of us lay a barely manageable clearing, covered with a man-sized colony of green, feathery leaf feathers, which sprouted from thin, yellow-golden overhanging stems. The afternoon light fell through the roof of fern fronds to the ground, which was covered with a dense carpet of tall, star-shaped moss in the most unlikely shades of green. If you bent down, you could partly see under the fronds, and I wouldn't have been surprised to spot the seven dwarves on their way somewhere further ahead. What grew here in such a stately manner was bracken
The Bracken Man bottle is decorated with unfurling golden fern fronds of bracken. When I smelled the fragrance consciously for the first time a few months ago and inspected the bottle from close up, I immediately remembered this special day and our encounter with the vegetable "Bracken" deep in the forest.

Bracken One conveys this golden autumnal forest atmosphere. The fragrance is decisively influenced by a fougère-typical soapy spice, which oscillates with an earthy, forest-like impression and a crystalline sweetness, without ever appearing musty or composty. How this works in terms of fragrance is fascinating to observe and a mystery to me.

The central note that characterises the fragrance from my point of view is clove, which - watch out, fougère neck handle - immediately grabs you after a very short and somewhat shrill opening. However, this clove by no means evokes the feared sauerbraten or Christmas impression, but presents itself in a pithiness densely interwoven with lavender. In addition there is a slight pungency, I think of nutmeg - very difficult for me to discern, I interpret a slight pulling in the nose as typical of nutmeg. All this creates an astonishingly soapy and herbaceous impression, through which, however, earthy, forest soil and rotten wood shimmers again and again. Patchouli contributes unobtrusive woody and mossy ground contact, while one has the feeling of sucking in oxygen-rich spicy forest air.

Above this lies golden, sunny-looking sweetness, which, after the initial dominance of clove and lavender has at some point - and the duo takes its time with this - is then withdrawn in gentle noblesse, absorbed by a warm, mild, almost fruity spiciness. I suspect that cinnamon should play a major role here. According to the fragrance pyramid, rose geranium would still be in play, which also has a not insignificant soapiness. At the end, in the base, these impressions merge into a warm overall picture, the fern forest in the golden light from afar, so to speak, becomes blurred, but essentially retains its character.

As a classic fougère, the fragrance is extremely well-behaved, noble, modern, masculine in the most beautiful sense and perfect for the golden september days. Booked for the autumn...

Jarrock32
Classic lavender with hints of patchouli
I think there must be some kind of confussion with this fragrance because of ingredients. It has a lot of herbal aspects in the composition, but not dominates the fragrance. Absolutely fougere in Invasion Barbare way, but if I had to highlight an aspect is the patchouli dominant part. Remember me of that kind of patchouli you can find in Richwood Xerjoff and the lavender parts of Angel men. Not a light fragrance at all even with this presentation, but lighter than his brother Sunshine from the house. There is a clear connection and where Sunshine is vanilla sweet and boozy, Bracken is more formal, classic and elegant patchouli - lavender. Nothing new in this fragrance, although is a new direction in Amouage perfumes. This is not a spectacularly blended and rounded fragrance, a little harsh and headache inducing. I prefer Sunshine for his originality.

JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 23 months ago
Amouage's take on fougeres done fine. Not spectacular!

by Kovex
by Zauber600
by Drakecito
by Drakecito

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage