Epic Man 2009

Epic Man by Amouage
Top 84 in Men's Perfume
Epic Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette)

Randa Hammami

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Nutmeg, Pink pepper, Saffron, Cumin, Frankincense, Myrtle, Mace
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Oud, Patchouli, Frankincense, Castoreum, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.11.2020.

Steve0580Steve0580 7 years ago

„A Masterpiece”

I LOVE this fragrance so much! The pepper and incense seem to be the most dominant ingredients with the woods being the secondary elements. It's slightly sweet...
BobJBobJ 9 years ago

„Depends on Your Style.”

It's from Amouage, so it's undoubtedly wonderful stuff, with all the strength and longevity I enjoy in a perfume. But to be frank, it's simply not the way I want...
Vicarious
Something's wrong with Nasi??
You surely know the Vio commercial with the dead rabbit and Mr. Berg, "something is wrong with Hasi". With me it's the Nasi... Something is wrong with Nasi, because I have finally found my Parfumo anti-Duft, a fragrance where I am not d'accord with the majority of the Parfumos
In one of the advertisements Mr Berg wants to exchange the rabbit, he still has the receipt In the case of Epic, I urgently need it, either to give back my nose or at least the scent.

I always find such "anti-fragrances" particularly interesting, because I usually cannot really understand what people don't like. Here it is finally here, here I am the anti and here I can not understand what is wrong with your Nasis.

To the fragrance: I do not perceive much more than incense here. At least not in a way that I could enjoy it, which is very sad, because behind the incense I mean to recognize a very good and complex scent
But the incense totally ruins it for me. Maybe I have to mention that I used to be in a big choir and as a boy I recovered at least twice a month for mass in the Regensburg cathedral. The smell of incense is omnipresent in Epic. For me this smell unfortunately smells like the caretaker of the church, who lives next to the cemetery and it is incomprehensible to me why one voluntarily wants to smell like that.

Please don't get me wrong here, everybody should wear what he wants and for heaven's sake - do what you like! There's nothing worse than people like Jeremy Fragrance trying to tell people that it's all about "ladies reactions" anyway. And when I put on perfume, it's to please the others
Far from it - I wear a fragrance because I like it and because it accompanies/ complements me optimally in the respective situation/ day. Just think, we all feel the same
Nevertheless, of course, whoever wears this fragrance must be aware that it definitely creates a "WTF", especially with the non-perfumes out there. Not that the one or other granny who catches the scent in the staircase nor calls the fire department or at least checks again whether she has really extinguished her incense sticks.

As I said, it's a pity, the fragrance has a lot of potential for me, it has something very extraordinary and fresh although it is actually quite dark. The concert of spices is a force and without this all overlaying incense / Myhree note I would probably even find it quite good. The perceptible base of oud and leather would actually be very nice and amazing that despite this dark base one has managed to create a certain freshness.

In general, I can recommend everyone to remember their last church visit and the smell, pretty much the same for me the Epic Man.

There will be some more reviews to follow, so everything is right with my nose.
An Epic All-Round
The episode of a time travel

There's an Arab proverb that says...
When the cat was told that your excrement could be used as medicine, she started to hide it That's pretty poetic

In order to broaden your cultural horizon, you have to go far away.
Welcome to the other side of the world!

The center of a world religion, is located in a 3000 year old old old city surrounded by huge city walls Country and people so different and impressions that you only know from documentaries.

It is July 2018, summer local time 12 noon.
A day that could not be more beautiful, bright sunshine, the heat drives the beads of sweat on your forehead.
The T-shirt, like a second skin, sweating so wet.
The alleys I walk through give me the feeling that time has stopped here.
I myself have the feeling that nothing has changed here since the last century.
Well...
As a European, you quickly reach your limits and here there is such an alienating aura somehow, which cannot be put into words.
Whoever moves here is simply different.
The scenery in the quarter looks like something out of The Passion of Christ.

What is offered here is very rare in Europe.
The enthusiasm for souvenirs increases from shop to shop and from one market stall to another.
In the alleys there is a smell of oriental cuisine and old stone.
Hunger comes up...
But there are also some peculiarities with the food, if only because of the large selection of spices that are available here.
Where with the European standard apothecary cabinet in the kitchen, with turmeric the repertoire comes to an end, here it really starts.

I make myself comfortable on a restaurant roof terrace and order a shawarma (is a kind of kebab for some who don't know) and water.
The planet is burning and we move in the shade at a temperature of 35 degrees.
From up here, you can observe the hustle and bustle in the old town.
The view is gigantic!
My gaze wanders around and wanders down.
I notice a little shop down on the corner.
After lunch, I pay for my lunch and go to the shop in question.

To the left of the entrance is an old man sitting on a chair.
I greet him with Shalom, but I can't say if that is right, but my feeling is that it is.
I take a variety of smells was and also immediately realize why ...
This shop consists only of spices, oils and a lot of dried fruits and a selection of nuts.
A diversity that is second to none!
All packed up and in such a small space.
The shop owner also enters, but no sound between us.
He's watching my moves that's it.

The initial communication between us seems difficult.
I'm going to get started on my English...
Hi,
You have a really large selection of spices here. It's incredible.

The old man just looks at me...

I'm going to make a second attempt...
Do you speak English?

Apparently he has understood this and is only shaking his head.
Well, I'm thinking, that'll be fun
I start to take a closer look at the spices, my nose is hanging over the baskets.
Some things are clearly identifiable by their appearance and smell, others not at all.
I try to make myself understood from a mix of hand signals and an Arabic English.
Apparently it worked and he hands me a transparent bag and points to a small shovel that is lying in a spice basket.
I grab these and start filling the first bag with a curry mixture.
The old man notices early on that someone wants to buy something here and animates me by putting out more bags.
Little by little I discover spices that I have never seen before.
I get into a real rush and fill one bag after another.

After 20 minutes of trying and studying, I ask him to label these bags for me.
I am not a spice specialist and at home, I would like to be able to distinguish between them He pulls out a black Edding pen and labels bag for bag.
When he was finished he stuffed all the bags into a big one and handed it over to me.

Normally I am a person who likes to act, here I spare myself the action.
I considered it appropriate from the point of view of the problem of comprehensibility.
I pay, say goodbye and leave his business.

The following days I kept the bag in my hotel room.

When I was back in Germany, I unpacked my suitcase.
What an explosion of scent it was when I opened this suitcase.
The spice bag went immediately into the kitchen cupboard.
Nice to have a new suitcase again, too bad for the old one, I can only say.
But believe me, even after a few days of extreme ventilation on the balcony, the smell wouldn't go away. I could only dispose of the suitcase, because the power of the spices had eaten into it.
Only a few months later I took the bag out again.
But what was waiting for me there, I did not expect at all.

There is a second Arabian proverb that says.
The best knowledge is what you know, when you need it

I opened the bag and the shock hit me. Apparently, the extreme heat had loosened the labeling.

What the fuck was I thinking?
And now... ...what else can I do?
I use my eyes, my sense of smell and taste, and the rest is, and will remain...

An epic potpourri ;)
light oriental game :D
I wore the scent back in Egypt. It also gave me this Arabian aura and fitted in wonderfully. A very good fragrance that brings something new with it. Anyway the whole Amouage series I find just heavenly. Interlud Men is not bad either, but I can't keep up with Epic Man.
Quality Perfume
I have to admit that I really appreciate the brand Amouage, because it is known for its high quality and the mostly regional ingredients like the silver incense from Oman
Interlude and Reflection one I already have in my possession, and that I do not regret lastingly. You can always smell the quality, especially with Interlude.

We now come to Epic Man.

The start begins spicy-smoky. The incense is present from beginning to end, it is probably the main note surrounded by components that round it off softer.
Myrrh and oud are also clearly perceptible, other notes I can't quite make out.

Plain language: The beginning begins very smoky and spicy, the incense is very present. After a few minutes the myrrh joins in more or the fragrance becomes a little softer.
After hours, the incense, myrrh and oud are softly rounded off by the sandalwood.

Top marks: Frankincense, myrrh and oud
The durability is very good with over 10 hours and the projection is strong in the beginning but quickly becomes a bit more restrained, but still remains perceptible all the time until it finally becomes completely skinny.
Means: For 10 hours it remains perceptible on my skin

The quality is really high, you simply notice this high quality in the ingredients. Emotionally, a natural warmth simply comes up without any thought of synthetics. That is what is important for me. To wear a fragrance where you feel naturally good, where you know and feel that what I wear here radiates quality and class, accordingly it supports the thoughts more into the positive, to be able to order natural things, if you perceive it consciously. Simply great.

I see the fragrance in the evening in an elegant upscale atmosphere, where one wants to radiate uniqueness. In fact this fragrance is very unique.
Also on a date with elegant appearance it fits very well. Also to feel good, because it simply radiates high quality.

As is well known, it must also be said that silver frankincense from Oman is used, which is accomplished or extracted in a very elaborate way.
Before they can extract the incense from the trees or tree resins, the Omani people stand in front of the tree and worship the demon that protects the tree, as it was often destroyed long ago. This is the ritual of the Omanis.

Crazy details that are extremely characterized by high expenditure - even if it is produced in mass - and it simply makes it special.
You can tell :-)
Top fragrance with long shelf life, extremely good quality and high uniqueness.
Anything but mainstream :-)

Best regards

The Amouage from Paris, not from Oman
For me this is the least Amouagic of the Amouage fragrances for men.
By all means, I don't intend to qualify Epic Man as a bad fragrance. It's quite the opposite, but something epic for me must be ... epic! And epic for me stands for something striking, historical, revolutionary, different ... a landmark and a reference for those who came before and those who will come after.
In the history of ancient Rome, an epic perfume should be represented by Amillcar Barca commanding troops mounted on hundreds of elephants. In the history of Egypt, I could only choose the power, strength and dominion exercised by Ramses II. An epic reference in Asia can only remind me of Genghis Khan. Historically, the Amouage Epic Man seems to me to be best represented by a brilliant parliamentarian from the European community, very well dressed and sitting in his office.
Epic Mans is an oud perfume full of incense and blended in the way I usually like. It's full of spices and shows a little bit of duty free luxury leather, as well a very good oud note - non fecal at all - and that could be designed by any expensive and good western perfume maker, but that never could be mistaken by a blunt and bald oud that we imagine to be found in a desert Berber tent, or in a Fez souk. Just as a reference and in olfactory terms, I position this scent somewhere between Trussardi Amber Oud and Intense Oud by Gucci.
Its complexity, possibly due to the use of many spices, is partially hidden or masked by the dominance of frankincense over all other top and heart notes. There is no trace of a fresh opening here. Frankincense dominates from the start. The multiple spices add little a little seasoning here and there, just to define minor aspects of the perfume's evolution. In the evolution heart, I also felt that some myrrh is mixed with the ruling frankincense. In the base woods, the austerity of the cedar is tamed by the more oriental and lingering sandalwood and, above all, by the well behaved oud warm sweetness. The note list also threatens to contain a castoreum accord at the base. The only animal I find there is a very well-washed metrosexual squirrel.
But don't get me wrong. Amouage Epic Man is a joy to use it on a beautiful and sunny spring day. It is a very good woody fragrance, very soft, very well behaved, and very pleasant. If applied early in the morning, it will last until late at night. Halfway through the journey, we impressed many people around us with this resinous velvety oudy scent, worthy of an Ali Baba by Disney, but not really of a Lawrence of Arabia by David Lean.

Let's frame this Epic fragrance in numbers:
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent Opening:...........8,5 (very good with ann extensive frankincense dominance)
Scent Drydown:..........9.5 (very good typical oudy woody incensy drydown)
Longevity:....................9.0 (up to 10 hours in my skin, with 3 sprays)
Sillage:..........................8.0 (6~7 feet sillage with 2.5 hours of strong projection)
Uniqueness:................7.5 (probably the least unique scent by Amouage, similar to a range of incense/oud scents)
Wearability:.................8.5 (An oud/incense scent easy to wear in cold and mild weather, and not offensive in sunny warm days)
Versatility:....................8.0 (it's not suitable for sports, gym or the seaside)
Compliments:..............8.5 (above average for an oud and incense perfume)
Quality:.........................9.5 (well above average quality ingredients, flask, spray, cap and box)
Presentation:...............9.0 (not discrete but beautiful)
Price:.............................5.0 (currently sells around €160.00)
Overall rating: 8,27/10.00
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Opinion: Western type blending of what should be a deep oriental perfume. An oud/incense perfume to appeal to the masses.
Recommended? Not really, Although it is a very nice oriental fragrance, It is also an expensive Amouage that sells in the range of 2x to 4x the price of an expensive western designer perfume of similar or equivalent scent and quality blending.
Blind buy worthy? Not really. Try it first.

Music: George Harrison - "My Sweet Lord"
Wonderful
Some time ago I had purchased Epic as a bottling. One of my first impressive Amouage that I liked. The name was program. Now I bought it last week, but I have to say that I now perceive it as less epic and even a bit old-fashioned. New recipe or has my nose perhaps developed further?

Still a great smell, though. In my current 100ml version, the incense on my skin is a little short. I remembered it very clearly at the bottling plant
A gentleman enjoys
I'm not so good with heavy Orientals. And maybe that's one of the reasons why I've been able to do without the creatures of the Omani Amouage fragrance smithy in Muscat so far. But a perfume from this Sultan's manufactory stuck in the back of my mind during a test two years ago, and that's Epic Man. Which now, as a pre-Christmas companion so to speak, has found its way into my home.

With 582 reviews, I actually asked myself if it was a waste of time and effort to write a number 583, but I think Epic deserves to be commented on once more. I won't go into all the ingredients again, this has already happened excessively and partly very detailed and very lovingly. Rather, I would like to give a newcomer an idea of what happens with this fragrance and also answer the question about a suitable Christmas present.

What is Epic man for a scent? Well, from the beginning he cannot (and will not) deny his Arab roots. But if in the past oriental perfumes either left me helpless or beamed me away by their opulence, this Amouage representative is a completely different caliber. Not using heavy ingredients from various sultanates, but finely woven structures that reveal a high level of craftsmanship.
However, Orientals are very often shown to their advantage very differently with different wearers, which is why I would absolutely recommend a skin test to everyone.

Contrary to my expectations (probably due to the deep green bottle), Epic doesn't start green or fresh but spicy and smoky right from the start. Often I find such a combination almost overwhelming and often smoke notes, especially when they smell of old, unventilated cigarette smoke, lead to a nausea in me. Surprisingly, and this speaks clearly for the quality here, this smoky background noise is an enormously pleasant undertone. This remains for hours and accompanies its wearer Rauf in a subtle way, always suggesting that he has fogged himself in with something of quite high quality. I can't diagnose any great changes from start to finish, frankincense and myrrh remain dominant, I find the scent even more interesting backwards because a bit of animal notes emerge.

Performance: yes, that's one of those things. I cannot understand the partly high valuations, at least not with regard to the Sillage. Where other fragrances can easily manage to take over my office for the rest of the day within an hour, nothing remains of the epic man. Nothing I find disappointing about the price point of an Amouagen. Interesting however, the durability. Cause it's on my skin for a casual eight hours plus. In this respect, it is a fragrance for connoisseurs who enjoy being enveloped in a very close scent cloud all day long.

The bottle is nicely made, a bit playful, as it is in Arab countries besides custom.

And the scent itself? A very fine, smoky and spicy fellow, who pleasantly wraps you up but doesn't annoy his surroundings. If you are looking for a superstar in terms of attention to the Sillage, you won't find much here. Dangerous as a Christmas present, because not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. For a perfume connoisseur, however, a wonderful extension of his collection.
Harry Haller
"For all who loved him saw in him only one side at a time. Some loved him as a fine, clever and peculiar person and were then horrified and disappointed when they suddenly had to discover the wolf in him. And they had to, because Harry, like every being, wanted to be loved as a whole and therefore could not hide and lie away the wolf from those in whose love he cared much. But there were also those who loved the wolf in him, the free, the savage, the untamable, the dangerous and the strong, and it was these again extraordinarily disappointing and miserable when suddenly the wild, evil wolf was also a human being, had a longing for goodness and tenderness in him, wanted to hear Mozart, read verses and have ideals of humanity. Especially these were mostly particularly disappointed and angry, and so the steppe wolf brought his own duplicity and ambivalence into all the foreign fates he touched."
Harry Haller, the literary portrait of Hermann Hesse, which he portrays in the "Steppenwolf" so multifaceted and sensitive, I am sure, would have worn this scent.
If a more suitable fragrance comes to mind when reading these lines, please contact me by message and be sure of my eternal gratitude.
But to this day, no fragrance has managed to capture and depict that animal fragility, that longing and dissension between sentimentality and exuberant masculinity in all its facets, as Randa Hammami did with this masterpiece. A fragrance for all occasions and none. A scent not for everyone. And yet everyone will find themselves at least a bit far in it.

Rokinidzo
Toothpaste and then orange juice
Do you know the moment when you have brushed your teeth and then you reach for the O-juice without thinking? Horrible - shock moment! The freshly squeezed O-juice will be perfect again at the latest by the fifth sip! That's exactly how it was with me with this masterpiece! The top note totally scared me off - but after some time it was irresistible, a creamy incense, I couldn't stop smelling it!
Self-confidence to spray on
Please do not misunderstand the heading. Epic Man doesn't suddenly turn an introverted boy into a man bursting with self-confidence. But on the right days, it can have a reinforcing effect.
I can't wear it all the time myself. But it is my first choice when I need a certain appearance for a professional appointment or event. Here the scent works like an amplifier or catalyst, which emphasizes exactly the required property in me. One simply knows that the scent is perceived extremely strongly. This can polarize, and should be so. For everything else there is then the boss bottled of this world.

For me Epic is a mixture of slightly creamy and peppery incense, which has a wonderful leather base in front of it. The top note can deter the first nose, but develops on the skin after about half an hour to an hour to this addictive mix for me. The further course is actually rather linear. I don't perceive any extreme heart to base transformation. It only becomes softer and softer over time and - as I said - creamier for my nose. One should not expect any compliments from young ladies from this fragrance. The composition is simply too alien to the western noses for that.

The shelf life and silage are Amouage typical of madness. It is precisely against this background that the price also becomes relative. If you go fishing online - and wait for low prices - you can land it for 125€/100ml (Oman Version). Since 2 - 3 sprayers are enough, one has then also very long something of it.

By the way, I'm also interested in Amouage's story behind the house. Founded in the early 80s in Oman at the request of the Sultan. A gift for kings. Only pure ingredients from the region. And so on. You really have the feeling that you have some perfume history in your collection

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
A slightly smoky, yet intensely spiced dry-resinous Fall fragrance, balanced by a pronounced animalic leathery-woody base. Huge complexity!
Amazon1975Amazon1975 9 months ago
I can understand people not liking it....it certainly isn't for everyone.....but I love it....got a 100ml bottle for very cheap and its love
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
This perfume has an amount of darkness, a pint of smoke, some quantity of incense, five spoons of spices and a bit of oud. Perfect recipe!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Super masculin scent. Class in a bottle. I don't think you can wear this one casually to be honest. Still one of the best Amouages for sure
Giesta40Giesta40 3 years ago
The best Amouage for man, after Jubilation XXV.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Cedar, oud, all kind of spices and incense creates a woody scent rich of notes. Tension between fresh and warm.

...epic...
by Tetsuo
by Terra
by Terra
by VanAllan
auf stoff gesprüht, duftet der ewig und gibt einen genialen raumduft ab.
by TomLavender
by 3Lv3
by AngelinBlack
by AngelinBlack

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage