Epic Woman (2009) Eau de Parfum

Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage

Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Amouage for women and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCumin, Pink pepper, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesDamask rose, Geranium, Jasmine, Tea
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Gaiac wood, Iris, Musk, Oud, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.05.2019

9.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

Fragrances from the Silk Road
Hey guys :)

Today I come to Epic Woman of Amouage. Which means "epic" or rather "epic woman, or epic woman" or something similar. Before I freake out here because of the term "epic" and drive everyone away, I'll tell you something about the fragrance and where the inspiration for this fragrance came from.

It is about the so-called Silk Road, which was a road (or road network) for caravans transporting precious goods between the Mediterranean and the East, especially between China and Arabia. Silk was the main product traded, hence the name of the street. Of course there were a lot of other luxury products like rare spices, precious metals, woods, oud, tea and flowers like roses. Since the fragrance was inspired by this street, some of the goods traded at that time are also available as fragrances in this fragrance.

Oh and "epic" also has a different meaning in the roleplaying world than "epic". It stands for superior and rare items that have many magical properties or enchantments... but since this goes back to the nerdy and I don't want to annoy you with further details for once, I'd rather not tell you further and say instead that you should let yourself be enchanted by this scent when I'm talking about enchantments :D

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins with spices that smell good, but I could have done without the cross agent. Well, but there are a lot of other beautiful scents that make the scent beautiful and make you almost forget the cumin. There is for example a nice tea note, which can be smelled soon and which, of course, I like :)
I also smell light, sweet notes of jasmine (I don't smell the cinnamon), a light peppery note and flowery roses.
Not long, and the spices become a little softer, the cumin hardly smells you then really, which particularly pleases me thus.
The middle part of the fragrance is basically like the beginning, only that some scents become weaker or stronger. As mentioned, the spices become softer, but can still be smelt well. The tea is now a little better to smell, and while it seemed like green tea to me at the beginning, it smells more like black tea to me now, well, a little spicier than perhaps, which is due to the spices here. Also the roses can now be sniffed out better, which makes the fragrance even more oriental. New, however, are the resinous fragrances, especially the incense, which becomes more and more intense and smells really great.
A little later the spices will fade away a little more, which makes the fragrance even softer, especially with the aforementioned resinous incense. Roses are still present, the tea weakens a little and the sweetness of the fragrance is now a mix of jasmine and amber, where the amber becomes stronger in the course of time and the jasmine gradually fades away. Then I also smell woods, namely the gentle, beautiful scent of guaiac wood, which in my opinion has a slightly more beautiful scent than cedar, for example, as well as oud, which in this scent is almost untypical for Amouage but rather weak. The later base is more resinous-woody and sweetish by the amber.
All in all, Epic Woman is an excellent and beautiful fragrance that is definitely worth testing.

Sillage and the shelf life:

The Sillage is strong, the scent is good to smell. But in general it seemed to me as if this Amouage was a little bit weaker than most Amouage fragrances... well, that's not bad, because the Sillage is still good!
The shelf life is, as already expected, quite good, so that the fragrance loosely lasts more than twelve hours.

The bottle:*
The jade green bottle is rectangular and slightly bloated. On the sides, it looks as if it has been slightly pressed in. On the front you can see as usual the elaborate and gold-plated Amouage logo, the fragrance name can also be seen on the gold-plated neck. The lid has a typical oriental design and therefore looks exotic. It has also been gold-plated and has a green Swarovski stone at its tip. A very nice bottle with a great color.

So, hm... so I think that the fragrance smells exactly like you can imagine the goods from the Silk Road, which served as inspiration for this fragrance. Spices, tea, roses, everything that was transported at that time is available, at least everything that could be processed into a fragrance. I myself would have called the name of the fragrance different (for example Silk Woman, silk for silk and silk for the Silk Road), but well. I think it's nice that the fragrance undergoes a great fragrance development and changes from strong spicy to soft resinous, so that you find a nice and varied fragrance in every phase of the fragrance.

The fragrance smells wonderful and in my opinion can be used very well in autumn and winter (actually even in spring) both during the day and in the evening. Therefore I would definitely recommend to try the scent!

And that brings me to the end, of course I could write something about roleplaying games and related "epic objects", but I don't want to be like that and wish you a nice evening :)
8.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Love at second glance
When I first tested it, I thought that I would never call this fragrance my own. Way too loud and pompous with a Monster Sillage. I was wondering where you could wear something like that.
So I copied him and dedicated myself to other fragrances.
About a year later I had a little more "taster experience" and dared to approach him again. I tested it every day for a week, yeah, even at work :-D
And I have to say, it's true love.
According to the motto: what lasts long will finally be good.
I love that scent, I've never smelled anything like it.
For me it is a deep, dark and earthy scent which nevertheless has a certain freshness and becomes more and more beautiful and softer from hour to hour. Still clearly perceptible after 8 hours.
Really with memoir and loukhoum my dearest treasure among my scents.
It's worth every cent! :)
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Special
It gives me the impression of a unisex fragrance, it is a good fragrance, not my favourite Amouage, which is Honour followed by memoir and lyric, but good nevertheless, I wear it not often but once and a while I do.. It depends of my mood and urge...I have this urges for fragrances like I have for food

Update.

I wear it today and iT really bothers me....it is not for me ,certainly not today

6 months later
Wear Epic today ( wanted to try again) and iT even smells good on me , i wonder what is wrong with me...
9.0/10

Epic is epic :)
The rose came out first and I loved it (and I'm picky about rose scents), then the other florals became apparent. They blended so well I could not say that any one dominated, except possibly the wonderful rose. The cumin and cinnamon balance with the flowers like yin/yang; the incense/smoke aura grounded the whole flower/spice party. This is FBW.
7.5 10.0 10.0/10

An Oud for Me!
Several years ago, oud fever began spreading like wildfire across the perfume blogs and boards, and like so many others, I was captivated. "Noble rot" they called it, and the tales of how it was harvested and the way it was used in the Middle and Far East made agarwood sound so esoteric and totally covetable that I couldn't resist trying some. Thus, I ordered a bunch of samples from Montale, the only house that was using oud on a large scale at the time.

Sadly, my oud testing spree did not go well. The Montale fragrances were without a doubt different from anything I had ever experienced and certainly interesting perfumes. However, I found myself feeling unsettled and borderline anxious whenever I wore them. I eventually figured out that the medicinal, Bactine-like aspect of Montale's oud was reminding me of hospitals, sickness, injury and other unpleasant stuff. "No oud for you!" I thought to myself. Enter Amouage Epic Woman, which I tested on a whim without even knowing that it contained the dreaded oud.

Agarwood (or an aromachemical meant to represent it) is present in Epic Woman from top notes to drydown, but unlike in other settings, the oud here is mellow, a bit sweet and plays well with the other notes. The noble rot descriptor fits perfectly, as the wood has a round, honeyed quality that gives the impression of careful ageing without the medicinal odor. This beautiful note provides the backdrop against which the rest of the fragrance unfolds, at all times enhancing rather than upstaging the other components. Spices, including caraway, pepper and cinnamon abound in Epic, and they have a remarkably fresh quality suggestive of crushing the pods and seeds under a rolling pin as opposed to the dry, musty/stale character found in some spice-laden fragrances. Allegedly, there is a Damascus rose at the heart of Epic Woman, but the floral that I'm able to detect is more of a jam or a liqueur than a natural rose, and all the darker and more rich for it.

Epic Woman's base notes include a creamy, buttery note reminiscent of the one featured in Fracas, as well as the magical silver Frankincense that characterizes most of the Amouage line. Although sandalwood is listed, I can't smell any nasty Polysantol, only an earthy whiff after a few hours of what I assume must be Gaiac wood. The sillage and longevity of this perfume are appropriately epic, as they ought to be for the price. Speaking of which, if loving this expensive juice means a month of eating Ramen in a styrofoam container instead of a proper and civilized lunch, I consider it well worth the sacrifice.
9.0/10

Michali
A rich woman in a fur coat
My husband loves it.
He sees a rich woman in a fur coat.
It projects money he says.
Money that comes in the family through generations.
So, class and sensuality..
Now he makes me feel like getting my self a decant at list.

I have tried it in the heat of the summer and did not like it
but now, in winter its wonderful. It seems
like the colder it gets the better is the perfume.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A Big Caraway-tinged Patchouli Perfume
I am delighted to be able to affirm that EPIC WOMAN really is an oriental perfume—and a nice one at that! This composition boasts a big dose of patchouli, for better or for worse. For this nose, it’s definitely for the better, serving as it does to impart the thick richness I look for in and have come even to expect from oriental perfumes. The patchouli here is chewy and clean, not dark and skanky at all, but let the prospective wearer beware: this is essentially a patchouli perfume. The other oriental notes, including pepper, cumin, frankincense, and cinnamon, are all very light complements to the focal note: patchouli. The florals, too, serve to accent the patchouli, not the other way around.

On my skin, EPIC WOMAN does not comprise chapters but is a relatively linear composition. I like it a lot and would welcome with open wrists a gift of this perfume from a benefactor—whether anonymous or not! I recommend EPIC WOMAN to all and only patchouli lovers whose perfume budget permits such a fragrance, as they say, “rich in splendor and sophistication…made for the most special luxurious occasion.”

As for everyone else, the cost is so prohibitive that you might consider investing your hard-earned cash in the purchase of ten recent patchouli perfumes scent unsniffed. There’s certainly no dearth, and you’re bound to find a couple that work…

update: in a subsequent wear, I have confirmed that the caraway is a bit strong for my tastes, which is why I have rated EPIC only at 70%, diverging a bit from some of my perfume pals. ;-)
7.5 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Callas
Travel on the flying carpet
The smell is Orient purely like a beautiful Arabian night.

The spices dance around my nose. Incense and Patchouli wrap me in a cashmere blanket.
I am touched gently.

An crazy composition; coordinated fantastically; nothing is wrong, balances everything perfectly.
The smell warms me, comforts me, makes me happy.
I would like to spray him on my clothes and bedlinen.
Epic Woman is divine and a Must-Have.

According to Medusa and Turandot terrific comments, last night, I 'only' had handed in my assessment.
Today, I have a little precious smell sprayed on again. I was fast in the Tales of the Thousand and One Nights disappeared.
10.0 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

Epic Woman
Well this is my second in the amouage series it's Epic Woman this one is more sweeter and more of a dominance of vanilla
and amber then the previous reviewed Lyric Woman with it's dry smoky and woodish nuances.
The opening has a nice menthol beginning
consisting of dark Oud and peppery Caraway dries quickly to a dry and grounded Cinnamon and the distant wisp
of pink pepper. the middle tones is more powdery with rose with it's velvety texture with tea with jasmine petals conjures tea gatherings in the Sheik's
dessert fort in a unnamed middle eastern
country where is dark and with diaphanous tent surrounding you and a ornate rug on the floor sit cross legged
drinking his tea.

I liked the drydown though it's not as scent catching like Lyric woman but still impressive the amber dominates the drydown making the other basenotes to dilute a bit the incense in Epic woman is not a strong like in Lyric but it's a nice wisp of it' patchouli for my senses is hard to detect if it's with Other notes but make a quiet interlude
and with the earthiness of orris makes it an grounded ending.

Although not as intoxicating for the senses like Lyric Woman but it's nice
in more of a sweet and Modest Sister

Ninechat 109 days ago
Creamy, spicey, green, sweet.

by Lasisa
by Miaw2
by LadyViolet
by LadyViolet

Popular Amouage

Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Reflection Man by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Ciel Woman by Amouage Gold Man by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Gold Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Fate Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage