Fate Man 2013

Fate Man by Amouage
Fate Man is a perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin orangeMandarin orange
LiquoriceLiquorice
Tonka beanTonka bean
SandalwoodSandalwood
MuskMusk

Submitted by Merlina, last update on 21.05.2021.

0.5

ABSOLUTELY REPULSIVE
Man.. I know some folk maybe upset with me for this review so please hear me out.
We all have different taste

I enjoy classical men's fragrances. Amouage offers some really nice solid daily drivers : interlude, memoir, and dia are amazing in my opinion.

When I sprayed this the first time, it is really extremely reminiscent of fresh vomit.
imagine you just ate a spicy meal and then your stomach turn and then you vomit that out. There you go.

Some people may think that it is the cumin that's bothering me. I think it is more than that. The combination of cumin and something very aldehydic makes the impression of fresh vomit.

As this dries down it becomes more of a B-O- impression scent.

LOL, I hope this helps some people. Please sample this first before you buy. Also, I didn't grow up in the west, so for me to find this fragrance disgusting says a lot.

If you do have a goal of getting people away from you, spray this 10 times before you go to work, I think it would do.

(a review before me mentioned this induces nausea, +1 here)
Mixed feelings
Since I have researched the extensively and had looked at opinions on Fate man I knew what comes to me unfortunately opinions are subjective because everyone has a different feel. After a typical blind buy from me, the perfume was quickly there, I smelled it directly. I did not know what I should say ... A smell reminiscent of curry at the opening, which is not stinky right now but also not pleasant. After about 30-45 minutes it fades more and more and the citrusy part with the ginger switch on because still remains the spicy part always in company. The scent doesn't change much towards the end. The performance isn't bad but it's not amazing either with about 8-10 hours of longevity and a sillage that's okay. I like the perfume but he should be tested before and not like my daredevil way just be bought haha :))

Spices
This is a lovely fragrance even though the opening is harsh after couple of hours as the cumin settles down this fragrance changes just like a chameleon changing it's colors, i get rose, Incense, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean and Woody notes.

This is another masterpiece from Amouage if you love Interlude you will definitely love this one too.

My Favorite from the line (the ones i have tried so far.

1- Interlude Man
2- Fate Man
3- Lyric Man
4- Memoir Man
5- Imitation Man

Fanny
You poor men to bear such a fate !!!
Good lord, what a mess...

Being an avid user of the most heavy spicy orientals, male and all, I expected Fate to be exceptional.

One has to be a cumin addict to appreciate this.
The stuff which usually makes me sick are suffocatingly indolic flowers.
I have entered new territory here, where cumin, with slight immortelle, incense and licorice added, gave me a splitting headache within 5 minutes to be followed by a nausea which threw all previously experienced nausea overboard.

Kudos to those who love it.
Spice man
So I went to the restaurant. My parents, my siblings and some friends. I showered before, did my hair, brushed my teeth and dressed appropriately. Last but not least! The perfume. I picked up the nice bottle. The spiciest perfume in my collection. But also one of my favorites. Arrived in the restaurant I heard first of all that it stinks here after Curry. By the way, we didn't eat asian food ;) A few conversations later, my brother tapped me on the shoulder and told me: "Currywurst!" Then I asked him what he wanted to tell me. Do you think he'd like a currywurst? Then even my mother laughed and told me... That I'd really stink. I had to laugh myself and just thought for myself... Better curry than Boris Becker ;) Also the friends smelled at me and had to laugh about this strange smell. You have many good but also many bad perfumes... But this one... it doesn't smell, it stinks!, :) So far, I haven't found anyone who likes this perfume except myself. Nevertheless I am convinced who celebrates this Amouage so badly ;)

Meh...
To my supercilious nose, Fate Man reveals itself from the very first minutes as one of the dullest and cheapest Amouage offerings for men, and sadly the evolution does nothing but reinforcing this impression. The opening is pretty much a mathematical layering of a ton of drugstore cumin with a fairly cheap Iso E-infused cedar-vetiver-guaiacol accord (we’re in the same territory of countless inexpensive woody scents here; I thought of Chopard Noble Cedar, Azzaro Visit or La Martina Secret Wood, but options are really infinite) and a darker, thicker shade clumsily emulating some favourite chords of several “dark Oriental” niche scents of the past years – an agreeable, albeit derivative and a bit nondescript blend of musk, rough spices and smoky balsamic-resinous notes (labdanum, mostly) with a sort boozy-tobacco flower note (immortelle – think of Histoires de Parfums’ 1740) tinted with a sort of oily licorice vibe and a robust base of something like birch tar with a hint of dry oud. So basically a moody Oriental rework of a conventional woody scent. All finally wrapped together with a polished, dry texture, quite on the dark-spicy side, and sadly (if that wasn’t clear enough) quite cheap too for me. By “cheap” I mean that I personally don’t get anything different quality-wise from several inexpensive designer woody scents, the woody notes smell clearly “average” with no nuances or richness or whatever may indicate a sign of a higher quality; and I also don’t get any other added value – nothing creative, or particularly refined. No surprises during the evolution as well. A really bland Oriental dry woody scent with a dark shade and a bit more thickness than usual in the unsuccessful attempt to bring Fate closer to a niche quality (if that ever existed). Still something you’ve to keep smelling to remember how it smells. It’s nice, but a true joke for the price.

5/10

Cumin-immortelle couple
If you don't like the smell of cumin and immortelle, "Amouage Fate MAN" will probably turn out a "difficult fragrance" for your nose - as it is for mine. Cumin, ginger and hints of saffron make this perfume extremely spicy, and the "sweaty" aspects of cumin can be felt up to the dry-down. "El Attarine" by Lutens springs to my mind, although the Lutens fragrance is even stronger on the cumin than "Fate". The heart of "Fate" features immortelle coupled with licorice, and merged with sandalwood and musk. The spiciness is still there, although subdued. All the chords are blended seamlessly, the fragrance becomes more rounded and the pungent, sharp notes vanish. "Fate" is a high-quality blend, but unfortunately, it features several components I don't like, no matter how well they are integrated into a scent. Amouage's latest fragrance is neither particularly exciting nor daring, it is a cumin-immortelle couple with a deep, spicy (and rather foody!) feel to it. Contrary to other Amouage fragrances "Fate" is neither dark nor mysterious and it is far from being experimental. Btw, the bottle is gorgeous, if only the fragrance was more interesting for me...

Drseid
An Amazing Bottle Containing Not As Amazing Juice...
Fate Man opens with just a couple seconds of clean, near transparent citrus before quickly transitioning to a sharp ginger note. As the fragrance reaches the early heart phase the ginger turns relatively rugged as it is joined by the deep burnt brown sugary immortelle and smoky incense starring tandem supported by faint whiffs of barely detectable rose popping in and out. During the late dry-down the immortelle slowly gives way to licorice as the smoky incense remains in full force, adding touches of mild cedar support to create an accord of dark smoky woods before revealing relatively clean musk at the finish. Projection is excellent and longevity outstanding at nearly 20 hours on skin.

Fate Man has gotten more than its share of scorn by many, with cries that Amouage has gone "mainstream." Quite frankly, whether Fate Man is a composition one enjoys or not, it is far from the mainstream compositions this reviewer has encountered. Whether mainstream or not, the more important question is "Does it smell good?". The answer is indeed it does, though maybe not as good as one could hope with such an amazing looking bottle housing it. The best part of the composition is the early heart, as the perfumer Vinchon-Spehner skillfully uses immortelle in a way even folks like me who dislike the ingredient can tolerate it. She melds the immortelle perfectly with the early ginger, allowing some of its own ginger-like facets to enhance the spice while further using its brown sugar aspects for depth without going overboard. The incense latter side of the composition is where things are not as well thought out, as the burnt incense really comes on too strong and can be a bit too much at times only tempered by musk at the very end. The bottom line is Fate Man at $340 per 100ml bottle is going to be a relatively tough sell for Amouage despite its very fine housing, but the composition does smell good on the whole earning a "good" to "very good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

INDIGOSPHINXINDIGOSPHINX 3 months ago
0.5
cumin, spices, amber
Rmf1112Rmf1112 7 months ago
Much better, well rounded, and less offensive than I would have assumed from the reviews.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
Challenging! A heavily dry-spiced (Cumin!!) and slightly smoky oriental Winter fragrance slowly shifting to a more gentle earthy-woody base.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
Cumin bomb! People around me don't lilke it. I like it. It's funky and only for the brave ones.

Fate symbiosis...
by Majid
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Interlude Man 53 by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage