Figment Man 2017

Figment Man by Amouage
Figment Man is a perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2017. The scent is animal-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Geranium, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesSandalwood, Animalic notes, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Gaiac wood, Earthy notes

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.12.2020.

Funeral
It smells like earth, mold and rotten sad flowers in the crypt. It recalls the smell of a funeral on a rainy day. Smell of sadness and depression... Maybe Dracula have courage to use this perfume in is own funeral... Or maybe not!
Pure, sweet, fish earth
What you get here is (discreetly formulated) daring and ingenious at the same time!

Had to test it, because on the one hand I'm a big friend of the brand and on the other hand I often came across comparisons with the 2015 Bat from Zoologist, which I found very interesting.

Right from the start I could hardly smell parallels to the Bat (2015). While the earthiness of the Bat is tropical, warming and banana-fruity, reminds me more of an air-conditioned terrarium for reptiles, the earthiness here is completely different. Figment smells like pure, clear potting soil with a not more defined sweetness
It doesn't smell like perfume. Not at all! And yet not bad at all, if you like the smell of soil.
You would never spontaneously think of lemons, rose geranium and pepper at the start. On the other hand, if you know it, it is quite possible to deduce that this fresh earthiness is created by a chord made up of these components. And that's great ... that's just great from an artistic point of view!

In the course of time the whole thing loses a bit of its pungent sweetness and freshness and gains incredible depth. Sandalwood and vetiver can be guessed, but it simply remains earthy. This earth seems to have only a thousand facets, which it reveals within about 10 hours, while my personal favourite moment begins at about half time, after 5 hours.

Presumably, the somewhat biting prelude is a bit too aggressive and unusual for the people you are surrounded by. But I think that after about an hour, Figment becomes more or less socially acceptable. You don't smell perfumed, but perhaps as if you had just repotted some flowers or dug up a box of gold that was a meter below ground with your bare hands. This definitely does not smell "normal", but it's not bad at all.

I didn't find this perfume really animalistic, although at least at the beginning I thought that a few sour faecal smells were resonating in the background, which, however, only minimally influences the overall impression
The Sillage is good, the shelf life is great! From the season I would prefer to wear "Figment Man" in spring. That seems to me very suitable from the feeling. Fresh earthiness...that's what fits in an invigorating, blossoming time and dead seasons, like summer and winter or dying seasons, like autumn might be too depressing.

So the fragrance from an artistic point of view: 10/10
The fragrance with the aspect of wearability: 6/10

For my evaluation, I have chosen a middle course accordingly, in order to remain fair.

Figment Man (@Nose.Notes.No.Notes)
• AMOUAGE FIGMENT MAN •

So, this was my first wash off. I think I only wore it for about two hours, so take my first impression for what it is. Going into this, I expected some animalic qualities, which means it probably wouldn't make the wishlist, but I didn't expect Figment Man to take it this far.

The opening was interesting, albeit instantly challenging. It dark and heavy, almost reminiscent of Jubilation XXV (which is my favorite scent ever). At the same time, it's really dry and powdery. It reminded me of a powdery patchoulli, without any scent. I could pick up on the earthy vetiver. There's a tiny bit of freshness, and I hoped the freshness would last and that the animalic notes would take it in a leathery direction. In stead, it turned into a gothic, almost dusty or moldy scent that reminded me of mud and spiderwebs. It's more earthy than animalic to my nose, but very bleak.

I'm sure there are people who can appreciate this, but I'm also sure that this would offend plenty of people, so be careful when you choose to apply this. I sprayed it on in the morning and I might've pulled through if I stayed at home, because I do sample to learn and I always try to appreciate fragrances, eventhough they're not my personal taste. That being said, I didn't even feel comfortable leaving the house with Figment Man still projecting, so I washed it off •

Please follow my IG Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography
Not at all brain-spinning
A few days ago, after I had an original sample and a for me sniffable original bottling, I came across a very attractive offer from an Internet dealer with very favorable offers. The offer was particularly favourable with an additional discount code of around 120. So it seemed to me.

So this fine little wisps was ordered... but what a surprise, the scent appeared shallow and little lasting.

I can't describe the scents as many of the respected members do here. That's why I'm gonna let it go. I don't smell any of my own notes clearly, the overall composition is important to me and I like its course.

I liked Figment Man from the beginning. Very unusual for me, very clear was this particularly stabbing note to be sniffed out, I can even understand that not all of the fine-nosed like it. I also liked this special animal note. Very special...

It fascinated me. So I had to have the scent...

I have now asked for an exchange, the production is from UK. It may have tipped over due to incorrect storage. He is not yet old, 30 months are indicated, which he should probably tolerate.

Let's see if I can get an exchange product, so that I can also take it in my nose...
Odd scenario...
Bhutan. The small South Asian country, with the famous Grosstonational luck and a supposedly breathtaking landscape, is supposed to smell like this? About ethereal-fresh to animalic-woody-earthy?
Hmmm... A 'figure' probably, a product of imagination, a fantasy.

Whatever. In contrast to many others, I can't really understand the associations with musty forest soil, ponds and mud. For me 'Figment Man' doesn't smell at all earthy, muddy or even rotten. No, nothing like that. But I can see sandalwood and incense. Reminds me a little of those infamous incense sticks we used to torch in our shared rooms instead of airing them properly.
This central sandalwood chord is framed by an initially rather sharp, unsweet freshness breeze that lasts for quite a while and a woody resinous base that swings out for hours.
So far, so good. Almost so banal, however, if it weren't for another very distinctive chord slumbering in the heart of the fragrance, which begins to blossom soon after spraying on and only slowly fades away many, many hours later: a potpourri of animal notes. Whichever origin they may be: some suspect an overdose of civet, others a mixture of various musk compounds, some bring costus into play, a fragrance that smells of damp (animal) hair, and also 'Animalis' from the company Synarome is used: a perfume base that was already used in Jean Carles' 'Visa', as well as in the highly controversial 'Kouros', and which is described as follows:

An animalic, musky, sensuous odor with costus-like connotation. Can be described as unwashed human hair, goat smell and dirty socks.

Sounds tempting, or?
But it is. At least for some, including me.

What smells disgusting to some, however, is for others a perhaps even narcotic aphrodisiac, in any case a fragrance. However, the tolerance threshold has fallen noticeably in recent decades, more precisely since 'Cool Water' and the triumph of the Frischefougères, so that former heroes of the animal world of fragrance such as the aforementioned Kouros, or Montana's 'Parfum de peau' mutated from the almost ubiquitous Mainstreamer to the rare exotic. That Amouage comes around the corner in the never-ending age of clean scents with such an animalic, broad-legged, sexually appealing scent bully has a certain chutzpah, or at least defiance. Mr. Chong & Co. certainly did not have exorbitant sales figures in mind: this fragrance is certainly not a big seller, but you probably guessed it: works like 'Figment Man' or Dior's 'Leather Oud' are not launched today in the hope of the big Reibach. You launch them because you want to show that you can also be dirty, that you are willing to go to the limits of the intolerable (and beyond), presumably not to get into the suspicion of the mainstream, to attract attention, to stay in conversation.
To have such a fragrance in our portfolio means: look, we dare what, we do art, perfume art, even if it is art for the sake of art.

Which raises the question: is this fragrance even wearable?
I'd say yes.
No, because we are social beings who move among each other and - at least tendentially - want to please each other. Since this smell, at least according to most comments, might feel a majority as halfway evil-smelling, a public wearing is excluded as far as possible.

Yes, if a perfume enthusiast appreciates fragrances with a broader spectrum as fresh, clean, floral and vanilla and if a certain 'skingout' of dubious origin can be perceived as stimulating without having to vomit immediately. This, however, is more likely to take place in a private setting, in a very private one, I suppose, meaning between my arm and my nose. Because I appreciate this 'Figment Man' very much, as do 'Kouros' or 'Leather Oud', Mazzolaris 'Lui', Diors 'Jules' or Piguets 'Oud', as well as the original 'Rose poivrée' before it was tamed on the animal side, but wearing it in public and exposing myself to the suspicion of possibly lacking body care, no, I don't want that then.

This Bhutanese (fragrance) tiger, I let steam around beautifully at home, or take him only to tiny little excursions with...

Which, in contrast to Pond Morast-toad etc., would mean the following chain of association: a Buddhist temple waffled with smoking candles, in a predator zoo shaded by lemon trees.

Strange scenario.

muddy puddle
deffinately not a fragrance for everyone it as a earthy muddy damp soil note which as a ozonic like after a rain storm freshness to it with some woods in the dry down , good sillage and longevity more suited for autumn or spring seasons

Giesta40Giesta40 5 months ago
First hour: perfect for the funeral of Dracula... But he lives again, and turn more soft floral, not so dramatic after 2 hours.
KimJongKimJong 12 months ago
Anal smell of hemorrhoids patients + Hairy armpits + Moist underground warehouse + Moldy sawdust. Please try before you buy it.
MarkusmikeMarkusmike 1 year ago
I can smell earth.....wet earth with earthworms beneath it.Very special.....

by DavidG
by Vito80
by Omid2am
by Omid2am

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Homage by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage