Honour Man (2011)

Honour Man by Amouage

Honour Man is a perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2011. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesRed pepper, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesElemi resin, Geranium, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.05.2020.

Nordique
Amouagegate, or: What's wrong with me?!
I've already had them all...

... tested.
All the community and critic homeruns of the men's department of the Amouage company have already had the pleasure of auditioning with me - some of them even several times, as they are all undoubtedly olfactory top people.

[Pathos an]
Nevertheless, no one - I repeat: NONE - of these jack-of-all-trades has yet been able to win this one place in my fragrant heart and become the one ... the ONE Amouage that would completely convince me and catapult my nose and me into the seventh heaven of smell.
[Pathos off]

Admittedly - the expectations were enormous each time when isolated samples of these same fragrance heavyweights landed in my postcards over the years.

Jubilee - the celebrated, the highly praised!

Reflection - the stylish beauty!

Journey - truly masterfully composed!

Interlude - oh, Lord, I'm too weak!

Epic, Beloved, Dia, Sunshine, Bracken... yes, but..
But. Always - this - but ...

Don't get me wrong - as I said: Each of these candidates may be a small, medium or even big masterpiece in its own right - but none of them seemed suitable for the job of becoming Nordiques Next Top Amouage (NNTA - soon to be on private television of your choice). It was for milking mice.
Well, Memoir and Lyric had always cancelled their dates so far - but maybe we'll make acquaintance in the near future.

Last but not least, a few weeks ago an intimidated, slightly bent Honour shuffled over the threshold. An absolutely average resume, posture like an ogre - great, this could be something, I thought to myself.

But what the good man then conjured up on the olfactory parquet had washed up. In the truest sense of the word - he is an extremely clean, slightly soapy and powdery fellow with a good peppery start. The latter is certainly not too easy to digest, but it immediately settles down and evaporates in a kind of semi-fougère, which for me stands out in the middle section in particular with a beautiful rose geranium. Reminiscent of a brood or other fougère-like cleaners of times long past. Rounded off by a prominent musk-tonka base, which for me is a hybrid of classic and modern appearance.
I was suddenly and then permanently excited and could not stop sniffing the test arm.
As far as such "scent bottles" are concerned, we are all certainly always on the hunt for exactly these scents that are able to trigger this in us.
That hadn't happened to me in a long time. Maybe I just know too much to be able to keep the frequency of such instant enthusiasm constantly high
But what had happened? Were my expectations in this case simply much too low? What is wrong with me? Is my nose damaged? Is it possible that I really like this nominal Suftschluffi so much? Or - am I just boring? Not imaginable, but given the common opinions about the candidate that can be read here and elsewhere, it is unfortunately not completely absurd ... or?

"Office suite" - yes!
"Easy to wear" - yes!
"Suitable for the masses" - for sure!
"unworthy of an amouage" - whops, wait a minute!
"Uninspired" - hey, easy, partner!
"Boring" - STOP, STOP!!

Okay, okay, I didn't mean it like that, maybe it's all true to some degree For me it is nevertheless one of the most beautiful and absolutely unexpected fragrance discoveries of recent times.

And if my new-found affinity for this fellow makes me all that he is said to be ... then I am happy to be. Probably the most boring amouage-bearer of this universe - but that suits me damn well, I think ;)
Maybe it's a little bit like with dogs - you can recognize a dog's puppy by its owner and mistress [sic!] ... or something like that.

Thank you for reading!

Spicy-Woody
Starts of with Strong Pepper Note which give it this metallic vibe. As the peppery note subdues, geranium and elemi start to work there magic in fragrance. Elemi give this fragrance that fresh and Woody element. As the fragrance drys down i detect Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Cedar, Musk and Incense.

This fragrance is a masterpiece but not as dark as the other Amouage releases.

Honour Man (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• AMOUAGE HONOUR MAN •

I've been trying out a lot of Amouage fragrances, some I love, some are not my personal taste, but I can appreciate them for what they are. With Honour Man however, I can say I'm not a fan at all.

The opening is very spicy and a bit green. There's the same spicy nutty quality to it, that I got from Opus II, which reminds me of rucola or maybe walnut. It's quite strong in the opening, almost palpable. There's a huge dose of peppers, that becomes particularly overpowering in the drydown. It also makes the opening harsher than what I'm used to from the house (even though it's not nearly as powerful as Interlude Man or Opus VI). There's a little bit of freshness, which I viewed as redeeming quality.

The drydown is milder, but similar in scent, although the woody base comes through more. Vetiver is a very distinct note in Honour Man. The vetiver leans more towards Encre Noir, albeit it lighter. It's not a clean, soapy vetiver. I think the vetiver on it's own smells pretty good and interesting, but with the overload of pepper and a slightly powdery texture, it just wasn't a pleasant composition to my nose. Performance was good, though not special compared to other offerings from Amouge.

To me, this fragrance has little to offer. There are a lot better vetiver options out there and if you like the opening of Honour Man, I think Opus II is a more unique and interesting alternative •
Boombastic
I have the honor to introduce to you, sir...
This is the first fragrance I am commenting on here at parfumo. And he is the first one I have tested since my registration in mid-December 2019.

If I were a prospective teacher, I would imagine my first year at school with him as an ABC shooter.

To be clear from the outset: He does not make it easy for me, as a student, to issue him with an ad hoc diploma corresponding to his performance. It's so different from anything I've ever seen before. He speaks a language I don't understand right away. So in this case the teacher has to go to tutoring. Afterwards, it is a little easier, but without really being able to capture all the details. At least he is making progress after some additional, autodidactic exercise units.

What impression did he have of his student during this time and what is his descriptive judgement?

How you have developed so far and how I feel your being now:

Anyone who wants to do it like you should first rub themselves well with pepper and then roll themselves in moth powder. As one now smells a little rotten, one takes some time for a comprehensive bath and washes the somewhat strong smell with a lot of aging soap as one finds it now and then in the more simple hotel rooms. When you finally get out of the bathtub, you sit down in the living room in the new wicker armchair, which still smells intensely of expensive resin stain.

The next day, the first grader with a rose-like flower in the buttonhole of the suit comes to the school to hand over his report card.

Now that he has cleared the first hurdle with the class goal with almost good presence and cooperation, he finally shows his above-average matured personality and impresses all those present with such an unexpected, but quite noble grace. Although, as far as that's concerned, I'm sure he's got reserves. '

So in the end this is all I have to say about you:

The beginning was certainly not easy for you, because you were also a little bit sharp with words and you made friends not only exceptionally. Still, you held your own for now Unfortunately, you can't be considered a model student, but I have just as little hesitation in moving you to the next class level
I am happy to receive suggestions, criticism and praise for this comment, which is the first fragrance I am commenting on here at parfumo. And he is the first one I have tested since my registration in mid-December 2019.

How you have developed so far and how I feel your being now:

Now that he has cleared the first hurdle with the class goal with almost good presence and cooperation, he finally shows his mature personality and impresses all those present with such an unexpected, but quite noble grace. Although, as far as that's concerned, I'm sure he's got reserves. '

So in the end this is all I have to say about you:

Thank you very much for your patience while reading. I am happy to receive suggestions, criticism and praise for these comments.
DerRalle
The unloved man of honor
First of all, I like him a lot! I've also tested some fragrances from Amouage (memoir, epic, Journey, lyric and interlude) and I like this one the best so far! The prelude is very peppery fresh has something of sauna infusion (the impression remains in my opinion until the end). On me he also performs quite well about 8-10 hours (on clothing days) with 3-4 hours of strong projection (comment on a summer evening was "boah Ralle your perfume is really exhausting today" had been replenished in the car too much and too warm but the beastmode is thought I me) then closer to me but very noticeable until the 8th hour then a skinscent
DufterMann
It could have been so nice with both of us...
... if only you'd kept your shine after the first test. I was so overwhelmed by your beauty, you were so varied and I had a hard time not sending the order the same evening to welcome you to my collection.
I didn't understand the parallels to Epic Man, which some users write about here. I had rather a sweet citric scent in my nose, surrounded by a light spice in the background. Sure, you weren't really loud with me, but when I smelled the sprayed-on area, I just thought you were beautiful. In the same evening I wrote a statement, how much I like the scent and that it comes off much too bad here. Of course a 7.1 is not a bad value. Considering that this is a fragrance from Amouage and exceeds the 100 Euro mark, it makes you wonder. Rightly so, as I was allowed to find out from the second day on.
Sprayed on at 6 in the morning and on the way to work by bike I noticed you spicier this time. Together with the fresh breeze at 15 degrees outside temperature it was really pleasant, but I didn't hear that citric sweetness this time. Anyway, this time you seemed even quieter than the day before, despite the fact that I didn't use 4 sprayers from the bottling. Weakened Epic Man meets it here already very well. But what then came, made me a little suspicious. I have to say that I work in a closed room until half past nine and after that I continue in the fresh air. I think that in my job it already got around that I am fascinated by perfumes and I can't leave the house without them. Shortly after 8 a colleague passed me, maybe half an arm's length away. He sniffed briefly and then said: "Oh, I can't smell anything today. Did you not smell yourself today? I went out onto the balcony and indeed, only the base was barely audible on my wrist. What a pity. But I assumed that maybe it wasn't warm enough and that I would give the scent another chance in warmer temperatures, especially since my nose perceived the scent so differently.
It is Saturday, 05.05, 6 o'clock in the morning and this time I empty the bottling completely. Neck, neck, the backs of both hands and the hair are sprayed. At the start you cannot deny your "kinship" to Epic Man. This typical Amouage-feeling comes up, fully on the 12th, but you calm down again quickly after I leave the house. Until I reach the workplace I am accompanied by a slight musty spiciness. This time you also show that your breath is not so short after all and before I continue my work outside in the fresh air, you show me again that the first impression was not so wrong after all. This citric freshness, painted with light sweetness and spiciness, flashes up again. Then you say goodbye so slowly and after just over 6 hours the spell is completely over.
Sorry, but that's the way it turns out and nothing. Maybe I didn't quite understand you even after the third day, but I already had much better and above all more consistent scents under my nose, which last even longer. But at this point I would like to thank Kovex again for the bottling! And now I go out and enjoy the beautiful weather. I wish you a nice Sunday ;-)

Meeeh!
Honour Man is for me among the “least Amouage” offerings by Amouage – both in a (slightly) positive and (mostly) negative meaning. The good news is that it smells different from most of their other masculine scents, so at least it’s something new: the bad news is that this “new” smells like a cheap parody of any Comme des Garçons-like balsamic peppery incense stuffed with musk, nutmeg, geranium and discount vetiver. That’s pretty much it in fact, a really artificial and kind of harsh musky incense with a mildly vibrant geranium-green-balsamic vein, which would be even quite nice (leafy, bitter, realistic) if it wasn’t blended with a cheap peppery-musky-incense and ambroxan galore, supported by a really generic, Jil Sander-esque woody base. You can easily guess how this smells on skin: “grey”, kind of cold, annoyingly synthetic, with a lot of plastic-rubbery nuances I wouldn’t really want from this price range. Vibrant and creative as an office cubicle on Sunday. Shortly probably it gives you the same result you’d get by layering Jil Sander Men (from 2000) with any geranium-musky supermarket scent. Now you know why I don’t like most of niche offerings? Because contrary to mainstream/designer brands managing (more or less successfully) to produce anything from socks to fragrances via dog leashes, so having at least the “we’re really busy” excuse, niche houses have one job – making perfumes. They’ve all the time and the resources to do it. And half of the time they make clumsy stuff mainstream brands could make blind folded between a new pair of shoes and a stoneware set. And at a fraction of the price, obviously. Honour Man may be decent, but... what’s the point?

5/10

Bang on Steroids
I like Honour Man, but honestly is one of the safest Amouages so far. It's rich, but it's not something that you wouldn't see on mainstream - it seems really like a mixture of bvlgari man and marc jacobs bang on steroids. It has an amazing sillage on skin, the mixture of peppers seems rich, complex and of high quality and with something slightly sweet and resinous that comes after it, which i think it may be the elemi resin. It's too expensive, but well, with Amouage you are buying the full concept, not only the juice. I see that Amouage tries to balance exuberant launches with simpler but still richer ones, and today i think that it's a nice strategy to attract different consumers.

Heavy pepper
Honour is a fantastic spicy/woody fragrance and very unique.

A right amount of incense with florals and a lot of pepper.

Opens with a lot of pepper then develops to a resin/incensed heart notes.

The drydown is a little sweet with incense and woods.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are great.

Updated August 2014

Niche Pursues Designer
Amouage asks you to consider gender with its paired man/woman releases, the Golds, the Jubilations, the Dias, etc.. I don’t know all the Amouages, but I’m always leary of the boy/girl thing. It seems so rote, so perfunctory. Like dressing babies exclusively in blue or pink. The quality of the perfumes, though, has always won me over (at least the three noted above), and the gender pairing becomes less important. But with each new matched-pair release, the issue comes up again.

For the Honours, it is the man who suffers. There is a progression from start to finish of HM, but due to its composition of mostly woody or resinous elements, all quite durable over time, there is a lingering feel. A peppery start moves slowly to a sour wood heart, and eventually to a not unpleasant, but murky base combining vetiver, incense and tonka.

The operatic concept hints at emotionalism and heavy theatrical symbolism. Unmet expectation of drama and comparison to operatic scale make Honour Man seem insignificant. My real problem with HM, though, is that in a reversal of a recent trend, niche attempts to imitate designer. For all the opera, for all the narrative, HM reads like an attempt to squeeze a boatload of (likely) high quality botanicals into the shape of Iso E Super. Perhaps interesting as an exercise, but to my nose, unsuccessful as a costly product.

HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Peppery beginning is exciting, the spicy-smoky continuation that appears citrusy at arm's length, is indeed noble, but also "well-behaved".
WolfMWolfM 5 years ago
One more Terre as if one is not enough,
only a bit more natural-smelling, and somewhat interesting, due to the extra pepper and incense

by Kovex
by Berzerk
by Omid2am
by Omid2am

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Homage by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage