Journey Man 2014

Journey Man by Amouage
Journey Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2014. The scent is spicy-smoky. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesSichuan pepperSichuan pepper BergamotBergamot CardamomCardamom NeroliNeroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesJuniper berryJuniper berry FrankincenseFrankincense GeraniolGeraniol TobaccoTobacco
Base Notes Base NotesTonka beanTonka bean CypriolCypriol LeatherLeather AmbroxAmbrox

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 20.06.2022.

Novocaine
French DNA in an oriental way!

Elegant and sophisticated, Journey Man sets a new level of good taste, a classic-modern from the moment of his birth.

Meeting Amouage Journey Man was love at first sight. Before I noticed the olfactory pyramid, I tested it in a perfumery while studying a few other brands. The meeting was shocking.

A perfume so sensual, masculine in the true sense of the word but also lush, without sharp edges or dark shadows, I was rarely allowed to try. The second thing that instantly fascinated me was the fact that it pulls its branches from the trunk of a french masterpiece perfumery ... Chanel Egoiste. While Jacques Polge has masterfully executed the combination of tobacco, rose and cinnamon, creating a cult fragrance that deserves its glory, two other big names... Alberto Morillas and Pierre Negrin later manage to elevate the woody-spicy scent to another rank , keeping the same dry tobacco from Egoiste but rounded by pepper, neroli, cardamom and juniper, the end taking an oriental turn given by the incense, the cornerstone of the Oman house. The two perfumes are totally different but share similar DNA that would translate into luxury, opulence and attitude, even arrogance.

Once again, the two perfumes, although they have a common point, the dry tobacco, not the sweet one from Tom Ford, each follow different paths.

The presentation proposed this time by Amouage for Journey Man reflects what the perfume conveys. Expires sumptuousness. Performance is typical, long lasting. Longevity over 10-12 hours, good projection. It is suitable to be worn at special indoor events but it works beautifull from my point of view even during a walk in the middle of autumn.

Who can wear it? Anyone as long as they know how to say anything no matter what, to anyone and at any time while maintaining class or character.
Giggs1980
Wandering far and wide.....
My very first real oriental fragrance that I bought was Journey by Amouage. This is also my first Amouage fragrance, which I have smelled.
He has not convinced me at the beginning.
But after about 2 hours I could not take my nose from the arm.
The tobacco becomes so soft and fine, as if I were in an oriental tobacco house far away from Europe.
And it's so portable. I love it with every breath. I had never smelled anything so spicy fine before.
I don't smell the bergamot at all. But it makes the fragrance the way it is. Unique, very very noble and wonderful.
This is a perfume for the seasoned man of the world.
I wear it in winter and autumn.
There he belongs.
The H/S is bombastic. But do not expect that you get compliments with the fragrance. He is just too special for that.
I also make the fragrance just for me on.
The bottle is also very beautiful and noble and belongs for me to the top ten of the most beautiful bottles.
I hope that this journey with Amouage still very very long.
Journey - The journey to the precious treasures of the Orient
Journey was my personal ticket to the world of niche fragrances. It all started when I was looking for an alternative to my then 4 designer frags. I asked my followers on a platform for perfume suggestions. Quite a few designers were suggested to me again and just then Amouage Journey Man. The name alone was mysterious, the bottle even more extraordinary. So I read a lot on the World Wide Web and listened to various perfume reviews on YouTube. I was curious, so I started looking at the perfume boutiques I trusted. No one had this fragrance in stock! So I figured this fragrance must be rare - I still didn't want to blindly buy a bottle for that much money (Little Did I know...) so on a business trip to the US that winter, I ordered myself a 5 ml bottling. The first time wearing it was magical - the spices, the woods, the pepper and that sweetness - what a scent! My designer-accustomed nose was totally overwhelmed at first, and the first evening in the hotel room heard a pleasant, long-lasting sweetness on my wrist. I was impressed with this 12 hour longevity and continued to wear it tentatively for the following week as I only had this small bottling. Back in Germany, I started to look intensively into Amouage and a few months later got hold of sample after sample and gradually added several full bottles of Amouage to my collection (suddenly the price didn't seem high anymore - magic!). The presentation, the scent, the durability is really worth its price - majestic, noble, oriental, unique and enchanting - that's what I associate with Journey Man, as with some other perfumes from the house of Amouage - the enthusiasm does not tear off. :-)

Spice and Pepper - later Tobacco greatness
This gorgeous creation has a lot of sichuan pepper, probably the all of it. And also cypriol which is a weed originally from India : this has a distinctive woody, dried and earthy profile, it offers leathery, slightly smoky animalic notes.

The initial spray is a bit strong and almost makes you sneeze, the opening for sure is not for everybody and you must have previous experience with Amouages. After a while it becomes nice, smoky and present.

I really enjoy the dry down of this perfume and it has a very good longevity with more than 8 hours on skin and on clothes for days at least. In drydown it is a bit less animalic than Promise and the tonka bean brings a bit of sweetness too. The typical Amouage frankincense is there and after few hours the Tobacco is coming out, I would say more tobacco leaf note rather than burnt tobacco.

For an animalic perfume, it is quite wearable and even a daily driver .. I like it when it starts and I like it when it dries down, it is really a great perfume and honestly one of the best from Amouage.

sexy and elegant
This perfume is another of my favorites from the Amouage house.
Whenever I use it I get compliments from the people around me.
It is a spicy perfume, sexy but elegant at the same time.
I feel very comfortable every time I use it.
I think it is a clearly masculine perfume and to be used any time of the year.
Chizza
Pepper or pepper, that is the question here
Mummy's smart boy, who I am, I bought Journey blind like so many fragrances before him, because not everyone learns. I imagined the strong one and the first test smelled like the result when I seasoned dishes: hopelessly too much pepper. At least not too much salt. Then I asked myself the question: would I like to smell like I eat spice? Actually no, but...

Yes, but, as I must confess by now. Of all the ingredients I can hardly smell anything in detail. The title Journey hits the mark, as one cannot help but travel to the place of the plant Szechuan. As I read, this is China. I imagine the story behind the scent like this: Alberto and Pierre were on a plane together, brainstorming on a new scent. Alberto had to make up for something, keyword Bvlgari Man Extreme or something. He only knew that he would put in Ambrox, leather and whatever else was going on. And then he'd buy some weird stuff from Amouage With Pierre at his side, the man had brought out the Interlude and could go crazy, that would be something!
But Alberto was torn from his daydreams: "Mayday, mayday, we're going to crash! Everyone to your parachutes!" Alberto and Pierre acted fast, the parachutes pulled off and off they went! Since the plane was not so high above the ground, the landing was hard despite the parachute. Both got knocked out and fainted. When they woke up, the air was shimmering, a bit musty and sharp. "You Alberto, where are we?", Pierre asked. "By chance there's a sign, we've landed in Sichuan and in a pepper plantation!"
"That smells... weird! Quick, fill up a sack before we go and get help! I can do that especially well with..." "Introduce the tonka bean," Alberto continued the sentence with a smile. Both laughed out loud and history was written
Actually Journey smells great in its own way. Biting pepper in scorching heat, the spicy juniper, incense fresh from the altar boy and the spicy cardamom, which makes the beginning so infernally hot, that's how you could describe Journey.
This is not a fragrance for everyone, you have to want to stand out or the wearer must not care. Only: who wears it? I didn't know for the life of me, I thought and was suddenly torn from my thoughts. "Mulberry leaf?" - "No thanks, Bud, no gum for me."
Now it was clear to me whose signature fragrance this could be and that the wearer and the fragrance could be described as uncompromising, tough, taciturn. And that some wearers even go so far as to buy Journey blind. And then, after several tests, to be really enthusiastic

Spicy sauna
Amouage Journey Man is a bold, thick, spicy blend. It reminds me of a sauna! To me the pepper, insense, tobacco and cypriol stand out the most. The quality and longevity are both superb. I especially like the middle notes, which give off an almost creamy effect.
The dry down comes off a bit sour on my skin, which spoils the overall effect.

7,5/10

80s Revived
Scentrack: David Bowie - China Girl

Amouage Journey takes you to the journey indeed. A journey on the Far East. Even the whole composition created by Alberto Morillas and Pierre Negrin has some sweet and sour tonality. It starts with sour citrus fruits and strong Chinese cuisine pepper. From the heart emerge tobacco and very calming incense. Tonka bean gives some fantastic low-intensity sweetness and new dimension to the scent. A good-mannered and harmonious fragrance. By its composition similar to Jubilation, but less flashy. Also by the sweetness similar to heavily sedated Interlude.
Perfectly tweaked, every layer is where it should be. A formal and very mature scent, like 80s masculine fragrance after an Oriental treatment.
Beautiful in its precision, but without the "wow" factor.

Rating: 8/10

Purely masculine.
“At first smell” Journey Man seems like a typical Amouage scent – having this woody-spicy and incense character. It is not the first time when the brand uses pepper, incense, musk, ambergris and lots more of other used in this recipe ingredients. It has to be admitted though that the Sichuan pepper essence smells stunningly beautiful, aromatic and vibrating here. Still the start-off would not be like it actually is if it was not for a quite big dose of cardamom, which in this amount appears for the second time in the Omani perfumes (previously, fans of this intense fragrance could be satisfied like that in 2010 when Opus IV was launched). This quite intense and ruthless pepper-cardamom start-off has been coated with a mix of bergamon and neroli. The heart incorporates vibrating molecules of juniper berries, which link the spicy pepper with dry-woody cypriol, smoky incense and strongly present note of tobacco. According to the list of notes we can find also here pure geraniol, subtle rose-smelling molecule that in nature appears, among others, in ripe tobacco (worth noting, cigarette manufactures use geraniol to scent their products). It is clear then that perfumers decided to strengthen and in a way to ripe the tobacco note by adding geraniol. These procedures that consist of mixing the natural aromatic essence with one or more aromatic molecules, which in fact are present in nature but in limited amounts, to strengthen chosen aspects of natural fragrance are quite common in modern perfumery. For the surprisingly strong note of tobacco we have to wait though. In my case it appeared after 3-4h after settling and when there is no more pepper and cardamom going on in the air and the smell itself starts to get more dry, rough and woody-incense. At this stage cypriol can be vividly smelled. This, as it turned out, became my favourite aromatic molecule responsible for this dry, powdery woody tones present in such smells like Opus VI by Pierre Negrin and Dora Arnaud and also Opus VII by Negrin and Alberto Morillas (the same duet that introduced Journey Man), Timbuktu by L’Artisan or deeply regretted Gucci Pour Homme. Nonetheless, Journey Man is partly penetrating similar olfactory regions as Michael Almairac’s perfume so I recommend this scent to all those keen on Gucci.

The base is quite characteristic, mixing sweet and bitter note of strengthen with geraniol tobacco with a characteristic dry and woody note of cypriol. Everything intensified by tonka, musk and ambrox. During the last stage Journey Man resembles some other perfume which I reviewed earlier but unfortunately I cannot recall the name now. Anyway, the smell gets masculine, elegant and intriguing. It is really good. With every next try I come to a conclusion that the tobacco note is the dark horse of the whole composition. The note has been put into the whole smell perfectly, so when it comes to the fore, it smells incredibly – realistically but not in the negative way of course, at the same time it is intriguing and sensual. Above all it is purely masculine.

The so called working parameters of the scent can be classified as very good. Sillage is very good. The smell as a whole is strong and vivid and during the first few hours projects around the bearer within a couple of meters and can be easily noticeable by interested environment. It has been 7 hours after I sprayed it onto me and I can still smell it quite vividly; the smell itself can last more than 12 hours.

I have no doubt that Journey Man is yet another great fragrance introduced by Amouage that is slowly becoming one of my favourites of this brand, right next to Opus VII and Interlude Man. Having it on me is a pure pleasure. It makes me feel really special. In fact that is the quintessence of this hobby…

main notes: Sichuan pepper, cardamon, bergamot, neroli, juniper berries, incense, geraniol, tobacco leaf, tonka, cypriol, leather, musc, ambrox

launched in: 2014

perfumer: Alberto Morillas/ Pierre Negrin

An excess of spices
I did not like it too much, for me it is somewhat annoying the excess of spices (cardamom), that makes it too dry and very spicy.

When the tobacco is perceived, it lowers something that smell of spices, which at some point I find annoying.

After a few hours something is sweetened and is more bearable, the typical Amouage incense is hardly perceived.

The best thing is the longevity and the wake without exhaustions, but for me it is not worth the expense for this perfume.

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
Pepper bomb! Dry woodiness and a blast of realistic smelling pepper accompanied by crisp juniper. No sweetness whatsoever and quite mature
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 6 months ago
A gently leathery, dry, yet resinous oriental earthy-spicy Fall fragrance, with a rather pungent and peppery, citric spicy-green opening.
PauloViegasPauloViegas 6 months ago
Spicy, smoky, leathery tobacco.
Been there, done that... But not for this price.
Ouch!
JMWeedJMWeed 6 months ago
Very spicy opening, polarizing overpowered to some. Settles down to a powerful leather. Well developed fragrance, excellent performance.
GONZALOGONZALO 2 years ago
The spiciest opening you will find out there. Challenging at first, incredibly addictive once you get to know it.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
Probably the most mainstreamish masculine by Amouage & despite (or because of) that, I love it. Immaculate performance. Signature potential.
HermeshHermesh 7 years ago
The journey from the peppery citrus over insence to sweetish leather. Well done, but without any adventures and surprises.

Treasure map...
by Josefka
by Urbanos
by Urbanos

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Reflection 45 by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Memoir Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Black Iris by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage