Library Collection - Opus V 2011

Library Collection - Opus V by Amouage
Library Collection - Opus V is a popular perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesIris, Rum
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Oud, Civet

Submitted by Naeschen, last update on 04.10.2020.

Exotic
The rum note along with oud turns it into a very interesting fragrance.

Very different smell if you're used to rose+oud combo. Definetely a must try.

Projection, lasting power and sillage are huge. Thumbs up!

Updated January 2014

Limbo halls
The first impression of Opus V is awkward. If fragances have an evocative power, being able to transport us to a place, a moment or a state of mind, by appealing to any of the many human emotions or themes, Opus V doesnt suggest anything i can relate to. Which is not neccesarily a bad thing, but it is not a good one either.

I look in the website in search of any Opus V mythology or inspiration that makes me understand the fragance better: Opus V "explores the transformative journey of conventional media through the coalescing power of the Internet; navigating a world that is changed radically and forever" And I thought I was a nerd. "Changed radically and forever" are not good words in my book, they make me feel lost and insecure, and indeed i felt a bit lost in Opus V.

It starts with a boozy, aged iris, animal notes and agarwood. It smells to musty old books (which is a nice smell) with the strange, medicinal oud, and then flowers; there is a nice dose of a dirty jasmine, as well, and the floral notes merge with the civet. There is a bit retro thing going on in this perfume.

I think that the problem, or the problem FOR ME, because i understand this could be an asset for others, is that there are some "challenging" notes all together in Opus V: indolic jasmine, civet and oud. They have difficult scents, all of them, that IMHO can make a perfume a winner, or can be off-putting. Opus V is not off-putting, but is not pretty at all either. I find the iris amazing here, staying in the background forever, and i kind of enjoy the animalic jasmine, but only sometimes i had a tiny "bad breath" whiff in between the petals that, well, i hadn´t experienced before, and i guess the only real problem is that I personally don´t like oud so much : when i smell oud i have a sensation that something is wrong, and i have to remember myself that is supposed to smell "ill" on a purpose. The oud note is basically there all the time in Opus V.

It is a sillage monster, on top of that.

Nevertheless i happen to love the drydown. Basically there is an extremely dry, vibrant, almost harsh, wood that i find wonderful and hypnotic, and reminds me to the Bois in Miel de Bois! And there is more, this note lasts forever and ever on the skin and clothes, outliving the oud. In the clothes, like, days.

I will never own a bottle of Opus V (even if i could afford it) but I am giving it a good rate because the ones who love oud, indolic jasmine and civet are going to be thrilled with it, and the perfume really smells like it is the finest quality. I praise it for its uniqueness, despite i find most notes challenging.

The Gift of Kings
I purchased Opus V by Amouage on a mad scramble through Dubai International Duty Free early this year. I'm a frequent traveler and on this particular occasion I'd won some money during a lucky night at the Blackjack tables and it was eating a hole in my pocket :).

I had an extremely fast connection, so I hurtled up to the concession and blurted out "gimme something with Oud and lots of Roses." The obligatory sniff I took seemed fine so I grabbed it (as it was the latest release at the time) along with a bottle of Lyric Man and as I was coughing up a serious chunk of my winnings, heard the 'last call' announcement for my flight. A mad rush to say the least and not the best way to buy an expensive bottle of fragrance!!
My first few wearings of Opus V were rather tough ... so much so that the bottle has remained pretty much untouched for the last six months or so. I decanted some for a Parfumo friend a few days ago (getting it all over myself in the process) ... and was struck dumb at the immaculate beauty of this creation!!
As I write this, I'm finding it hard to believe that I haven't yet emptied the bottle! Opus V opens with an immediate mèlange of slightly medicinal Oud and Civet, quickly followed by the faintest whisper of Iris ... which slowly crescendo's like an impossible note ornamented by a skillful tenor, undoubtedly provided by the reported 'Orris concrete' listed on Amouage's website. It's simply breathtaking!!!
A plump Rose takes up residence before long, with an aquatic Jasmine in situ, shimmering away like the reflected ripples on a pond. The deep dry down is somewhat dry and quite 'woodsy', the Orris still omni-present and the Civet adding a raunchy purr. I'm rather a fan of Civet in controlled doses ... it's very well conceived in Opus V. Noteworthy to mention, is that I get a more accessible vibe here than I normally do from Arabic fragrances, many of which are undoubtedly an acquired taste. Opus V carries a 'westernized' mien.
This is the sort of fragrance that reminds one of Haute Couture and champagne drenched lunches at the Polo club in some exotic location. It smells of wealth and opulence ... truly a "Gift of Kings".

I think my nose has had to develop some before finding full appreciation of Opus V. Definitely one that deserves to be worn more frequently!!!

by BlackbirdHH
by BlackbirdHH

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Homage by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage