Sunshine Man (2015)

Sunshine Man by Amouage

Sunshine Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Orange brandy, Everlasting flower
Heart Notes Heart NotesBergamot, Clary sage, Juniper berry
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 10.11.2019.

The scent is part of the „The Midnight Flower“ collection.

RickbrRickbr 3 years ago

„A good scent that doesn't fit the house”

DrseidDrseid 4 years ago

„Solar Eclipse...”

Sunshine a la Playa
The perfume is a heavyweight with namely 728 g (packaging + bottle + 100% content + foil + seal).
This is the 100 ml bottle. The package is bigger and wider than the other Amouage packages I own, but shallower in depth.

The first minute: sun, sweetness that matches the sun, creaminess that matches. Orange brandy. It doesn't quite fit my nose, but it's weakened by the sweetness so it's acceptable. And we're only at the top note. Yes, lavender and orange-brandy and the sweetness, which, like Interlude Man, although differently developed, fits perfectly to the fragrance itself and gives the whole a Uniqueness.

Minute 5: Lavender weakens a bit, Orange Brandy dominates and I like it better now. Slowly the sage creeps in. I still miss bergamot. Let's see when that starts. Funny, bergamot is in many perfumes in the top note and immediately recognizable.

BTW, the packaging is slightly different from Interlude Man or Lyric Man. The bottle is completely in the packaging, so there is no base in which the bottle sits with 2/6 of the height and where you have to lift the lid to get to the bottle. Here the bottle is completely inside the packaging and is very easy to remove without running the risk of the bottle falling over.

3 hours later: Lavender and Orange Brandy have abdicated. I still don't smell bergamot.
The creamy portion is still there. Woods are perceptible, but do not dominate. I totally miss juniper berries. Let's see if it still comes.

5 hours later: Tonka bean and vanilla have now come to the fore. Nothing's bothering here anymore.

9 hours later: Still creamy with tonka bean and vanilla.

Conclusion: Initially it takes a little getting used to, but very nice unfolding fragrance with long shelf life.
Thanks Amouage for a nice summer dream.

9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

One summer night
Summer, sun and a dreamlike island with legendary beach parties.
I'm sitting on a driftwood while the sun's just rising. The sun's rays dry the salty wet wood.
My sweat of the party night on the beach has mixed with the remains of yesterday's sunscreen.
We went straight from beach day to night.
The smoke of the torch jugglers, campfires and cigarettes stuck to my body.
The one or other spilled cocktail has left fruity sweet stains.
I discreetly hear remnants of the ladies' perfume from the last dance. He must have been very tight.
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

He needs time
I once again read through countless comments on perfumes from well-known brands, which I wanted to get to know better when I ended up at Amouage. The scents and comments from this one were most appealing to me, so I ordered a sample.
The first time you spray it on, it's a bitter disappointment. The start is very herbaceous and sweet and made me sneeze. The orange and the lavender are very dominant but something seems to be incongruous/scratchy.
However, Sunshine Man does not have a linear fragrance! After about a quarter of an hour, the herbaceous note recedes and a creamy vanilla flower base spreads out, which is simply wonderful. To get a rough idea of the scent, it smells for me in the heart / base note of very aromatic sun cream.
If you can love this scent, it is a perfect summer scent!
Durability and Sillage are really exceptionally good. I have the Made in U.K. version and the fragrance lasts 10 hours + and can fill a room in the first 3 hours with ease!

The bottom line is a wonderful sweet-flowery lavender scent that has it all.

October 2018
You all know him... the never-ending summer of 2018! He's beautiful, but he also gave us a hard time. What do you wear? In the morning winter clothes, at noon bath book? What the hell is going on here?
As hard as choosing clothes is choosing a fragrance! Today it fell on Sunshine Man! A more "cheerful", easier to understand Amouage.

Aaaaaaber, isn't summer over? What's orange-citric is a summer scent?

But it also stops;)

Aaaaaber, when is the citrus season? Rather in the 3rd and 4th half of the year;)

What am I trying to say?

Sunshine is a great fragrance. It's orange, but it's more like autumn. He's not sour.
He has something "candied", something I found annoying at first. Gourmandig-citrical?
Now I just love that about him.

I'd call him the inner circle crowdpleaser. Many like him, but those who understand him love him!

I don't want to go into scents. It's always hard, isn't it?! Doesn't everyone see it differently?! You can read this above;) and yes, I perceive many of them;)
So you can't get a Kitty in a bag;)

Ps. I'm curious about your "midsummer autumn scents":)

9.0 10.0 10.0 9.5/10

AnjaTom
Sun-Shrine Man - holy or sacred Scent!??
Let me start this time and try to describe this fragrance with a poem:

The sun is the eye of the world,
the joy of the day,
the beauty of the sky,
the grace of nature,
the jewel of creation.
(Source: www.aphorismen.de)

Better one could not describe the charisma that this smell has on me!
Amouage and I are usually a delicate subject! But here and in general with the Midnightflower Edition Amouage caught me! Probably because they're not typical Amouage´s? Who knows!!
The fragrance itself starts with a note that you perceive very well:
LAVENDEL - in addition there is a wonderful creamy orange that alternates a bit in the first hour.
Afterwards the creamy ORANGE comes to the fore. Less spicy as you are used to from other Amouages...more creamy.
In the heart I perceive the SALBEI most strongly.
VANILLE and TONKA only really after 3-4 hours in the base, but still a certain flowery fresh!
Way to go! Very clear.
For me SUNSHINE MAN is the best and most suitable for everyday use of the Midnightflower Trilogy!
Also BEACH HUT and BRACKEN are good, but SUNSHINE gets it to be unique and yet universal and suitable for everyday use.
NO QUESTION! All three are great scents.
But Sunshine is the most uniqueAAND mass appealing!
7.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

For the price?
My last order included some samples of Amouage. An official sample of Amouage including a small tester with lid. 2ml is optimal to do some tests. Not quite cheap for 7 euros, but that's not the brand. I have also written this on my test list for quite some time, since it fits sweetly and floridly into my baggage scheme with the directions. A great topic with Sunshine.

For me, the top note begins somewhat inharmonic. Something's bothering me. A strange, headstrong spice paired with the lavender, some brandy and a pleasant floral note. Fortunately, it quickly becomes softer and the disturbing thing disappears. After ten minutes the fragrance is wonderfully soft and reminds me slightly of dextrose. Not megasweet, but it smells like dextrose. Also fresh and fruity notes are very present and a great counter component. Fresh sage keeps the fragrance very fresh. Very balanced the whole. In the base come woods, vanilla and tonka en mass. The final phase reminds me extremely of the Dry-Down's a la Code Profumo etc., which is not meant derogatory. I just like cuddly scents that fade away softly. In the end, I miss the big highlight, which finally leads me to buy. From spraying on up to the approx. 5th hour it is already very individual and unique. Since it is a fragrance with a lot of fragrance development, the basic DNA disappears easily and it comes to a rather ordinary base. Nevertheless, a fragrance that I like very much. But for the price? You can get it "already" for about 250 Euro. If that's worth it I'll leave it open for a while and everyone has to decide for himself.
Performance is really good. Shelf life approx. 10-12 hours with relatively good Sillage even after a few hours. That's definitely not the problem.
It can be used in many ways, not only in sunshine. Especially the beautiful sweetness. Also suitable for ladies, but in the department there is far better stuff in the flowery direction.

I will leave the price out of my evaluation, because otherwise it would be much worse. It's always worth a test.
9.0 8.0 10.0 8.5/10

A telegram
++++++++++++My love++++++++++++

++++++++Now well received++++++STOP++++++++It has become a bit late++++++++STOP++++++

++++++A summer evening in September++++++STOP++++++++There was ice in oranges++++++STOP++++++

++++++Sippled a liqueur on it++++++++STOP++++++++Somewhere in a lavender field++++++STOP++++++

between light mint there was a hint of chocolate++++++++STOP++++++++++very far away++++++STOP++++++

It was very entertaining++++++++STOP++++++++++++and went quite long++++++++STOP++++++

++++++++You are missing++++++STOP++++++++You would be thrilled+++++++++STOP+++++++++Sweet but not too much++++++++STOP++++++++++Not like you++++++STOP++++++

Very good ingredients++++++++STOP++++++++++++Also the vanilla++++++++STOP++++++

Everything was wonderful++++++++STOP++++++++++ A perfect summer evening++++++STOP++++++

++++++++come back home soon++++++STOP++++++++++look forward to more times++++++STOP++++++

Then together with you++++++++STOP++++++++
++++++++++++Your loving man++++++++++++++
8.0 8.0 8.0 3.0/10

Expertise
Rose geranium on vanilla and some herbal toothpaste for freshness?
Uff there is very difficult for me to classify this smell somewhere. Yes, if I may join the other comments - the fragrance is certainly something "special" and I feel like I was back to the beginning of my perfume creation experiments when I experimented with geranium oils and how many people who have already done something like this know how dominant geranium oils can be. Of course such mixtures always ended up in my litter bin at that time, but if you like to wear such a thing today, then I consider it a compliment for my art at that time. Nevertheless, I have to say that it is fair to say that although I don't like this fragrance and which is too simple and fitting to me with the Geranium on Vanilla-Minzaromen-Kombi, it radiates a certain cheerfulness, although fair to say that this kind of cheerfulness can also be very annoying. I would not wear it myself and certainly not at the price at which it is sold. So to all who want the same mixture only much cheaper, I still have some bottles with "secret ingredients" at home ;)

P.S.; At the end comes the cedar wood vanilla base with residues of this previous bähh geranium note, which I don't like at all. I am now looking forward to more surprises while testing this surreal expensive brand.
8.0 10.0 10.0 8.5/10

SirAddy
What lasts long finally smells good!
Sunshine Man took by far the most time to get to know each other. Normally, especially when it comes to perfumes, I take the liberty of making a quick judgment. Here it has a whole filling of 5ml used - which corresponds with the Sillage and durability approximately to an equivalent of 50ml of a Cologne. Thanks at this point to Fab83 for the bottling. Sunshine is definitely a fragrance that must be intensively tested. I can still remember very clearly my first encounter in my trunk perfumery. I just found the scent there exuberantly sweet, intense and opaque. As with so many Amouage fragrances, it seems to me, it is due to their complexity that you have to hold your nose to them from time to time. Since I am an absolutely convinced fan of Bracken Man, who, like Sunshine, belongs to Amouage's "The Midnight Flower Collection", I decided to try Sunshine regularly and spray it on myself. I wanted to expose myself, so to speak, to this fragrance in order to see whether it proved itself and showed other facets. So it manages to convince me.

There's one thing you should definitely consider: Sunshine is present. Really, every time I had Sunshine on, someone would talk to me. To be fair, you have to say positive throughout. But as soon as you put a sprayer on it, no matter where on the body, it is perceived. The alcoholic effect of the "lavender-orange-whatever-always-note" can be seen throughout. I write something like this in a distorted way, because I absolutely like lavender and somehow I could not understand that so many perfumes here smell or are said to smell lavender intensively. If I compare it with Caron's absolutely fantastic fragrance "Caron pour un Homme", one discovers a similarity, but this is more to do with vanilla. The vanilla of Sunshine gives the fragrance a slightly smoky (tonka bean?), synthetic but sweet-powdery note that remains constantly present. That's what I'm talking about now. Absolutely positive. The longer I tested the fragrance, the better I found the composition, because you always smell a slightly different side of the fragrance. Many also speak of an alcoholic or tipsy orange. I myself perceive a fresh, citrus-like note that is somewhat menthol-alcoholic. I guess it's the bergamot and juniper berry that's supposed to be in there. But I have to confess that I don't smell anything at all (anyone who knows gin or drinks juniper might be able to confirm that). In any case, this note makes the fragrance a little more versatile. But with all my versatility, I must confess: Classic fragrance? Nothing. I get the impression there are two stages. First a warm-up with a huge load of sweetness, vanilla icing sugar poured over one and then simply after about 10-15 minutes a never-ending exposure of sweet alcohol and sugared orange slices - very strongly sugared orange slices. You notice I struggle with myself to describe the scent. He clearly reads worse than he is. But it might make it clear why it took me an incredibly long time to like it.

Conclusion:
Please test. I can only advise everyone: Sunshine Man is a fragrance, you have to give it time. One sample won't do. Get yourself a bottle, use it several times. It's been three months since I got my bottling. In the meantime, I have come to the conclusion that I find it very good in itself. Still, I'm not gonna buy a bottle. For me it is not really a Fougère, especially since the lavender influence is a little too small for me. Especially when I compare it with Bracken Man it becomes clear that the fragrances are absolutely different from the overall impression. Other notes tend to dominate Sunshine Man. Nevertheless a really great fragrance and if you get a bottling, you are definitely supplied for a long time! 5ml have kept with me three months. With a 100ml bottle that would be then....oh. ;)

Hitchslap
Not the same ol' same ol'....................
You gotta hand it to Amouage, you'd think that with a name like Sunshine Man that they would go the same old route and go heavy with citrus/ginger/light floral notes or go aquatic/calone. Sure, there's bergamot and supposedly orange in there but it seems muted.

If you're looking for a warm weather scent that is "sparkling", bright or sharp then you might be disappointed.
Sunshine is going with Tonka beans and rather toned down florals like immortelle and a dry lavender.

I think the brandy gives it a syrupy sweet side that may turn off some folks. Also, because of the immortelle it might even come across as rather medicinal so keep that in mind.

For what Amouage costs the projection off of my skin falls way too short and so does the life of this juice. I'm glad I only got myself a decant, I suggest the same for you unless you're an Amouage fan club member.
9.0 7.0 10.0 8.0/10

Jarrock32
Finally a new concept in lavender-vanille mix.
I am really surprised about this one. I´ve read a lot of bad reviews about this perfume, and finally when I´ve smelled it, I´ve found an original combination of vanille + lavender, never done before. Maybe is different for some people was waiting in a vanille-lavender conoction, we don´t have here the classical barbershop lavender tone (at last) neither the typical attempt to modernize the classic barbershop vibe with the gourmandy aspect of vanille (thank God) so abused in the 90´s.
We have a lavender here, softened and sweetened with vanille but not in a foody way if not in a airy, transparent and shiny character. More from the way that Beloved man does with its transparent sweetened spices and flowers creating an illusionary iris atmosphere. Simply new and unexplored idea of a classic combination of ingredients. One lavender can shine and bright without being classic or bizarre.
Maybe expensive for a comfort and safe scent (same case in beloved man) but innovation, balance, good taste and quality of ingredients has its price.
8.0 7.0 7.0 7.0/10

Rickbr
A good scent that doesn't fit the house
Sometimes I feel myself in a complicated situation to write when I am faced with perfumes like Amouage Sunshine Man. If I could review only judging their own scent, I would see a well-orchestrated composition, harmonious and rich in detail. When I look at the concept, I can see what was originally proposed. But when we add the information mainly of the brand, price and the segment where it stands it is that the things get complicated.

In a way, I see a risk in its idea, since exploring something new as one of the most famous essential oils perfume is not an easy task. Especially if this essential oil is the lavender, which for some cultures have a highly functional connotation, referring more to cleaner / bathroom to proper perfme it. Therefore, the lavender used here seems to have been well chosen, trying to minimize as much as possible this aspect at the same time that this is balanced with an alcoholic citrus aroma to pass the feeling of warmth and brightness of the sunshine. Although i don't see listed, i detect chamomile nuances that further help to give an agrestic and bright aromatic touch.

When you think the smell will remain in that olfactory path it is that the changes begin to happen. Sunshine Man turns into a more classic fougere with a slight hint of leather or suede. The tonka aroma gives the sweetness of a fougere while sage and juniper reinforce the most aromatic side of the idea along with the lavender. In a final stage, Sunshine also shows a more mellow and almost oriental side, where the lavender sweetness wins caramel and toasted touches of imortelle and vanilla, reminding somehow a more light version of Eau Noire.

Beautiful as Sunshine Man is and more faithful it is to its concept, it seems that something is missing from the extravagant DNA of this house - it's as if Amouage was trying to get out of its comfort zone and reach other public or try an exotic richness more measured in a classic aroma. That's what makes me not know how to judge Sunshine Man, as much as it is a delicious scent it does not seem to fit the price range that it is charged and not in the brand style. It's the kind of product I would have in promotional price but never pay full price they ask for.
10.0 7.5 10.0 3.0/10

Solar Eclipse...
Sunshine Man opens with a slightly medicinal smelling combination of moderately sweet lemon, orange and pineapple fruit-laced aromatic lavender before moving to its heart. As the composition reaches its early heart, things stay extremely linear with the starring fruity, slightly medicinal aromatic lavender remaining in full force, now supported by a significant dill spice and sharp cedar undertone with powdery vanilla joining the fold as time passes. During the late dry-down the lavender finally vacates, leaving the supporting cedar wood to couple with the now starring powdery vanilla through the finish. Projection is very good to excellent, and longevity outstanding at over 20 hours on skin.

Let me give folks a very quick review for those who are looking for an early verdict on Sunshine Man... The best way to describe my opinion of the composition is in one word, "terrible." With that said, my further thoughts for anyone who really wants to waste more time on this unfortunate concoction are that while the composition is neither derivative nor lacking innovation, it leaves one with a distinct feeling that it was a bizarre lab experiment gone awry that Amouage decided to move forward with despite knowing so, or at least should have. I have enjoyed lavender when coupled with lemon before like found in the great simplistic Living Lavender by the talented Roberto Dario for his own line released last year, but its implementation here with the medicinal orange (what Amouage rather optimistically refers to as "orange brandy" in the official notes list) and even pineapple of all things is scary stuff indeed. Add to this disgusting combination the significant sweetness and *dill,* and you have a really poor end result to put it mildly. The only minor saving grace for this mess is the late dry-down when the sweet fruit and lavender, dill and all vacate, leaving a boring but passable cedar wood and powdery vanilla finish. The truth is Sunshine Man has the word "scrubber" written all over it from the moment of application. As an aside, near equally puzzling to the ultimate question of why this lab experiment gone wrong was released is the company releasing it. It is true Amouage has branched out somewhat from it early roots that lead to most of its best offerings, but if someone had me sample Sunshine Man blind, I would never in a million years have guessed this was an Amouage release as it has absolutely *none* of the hallmarks the house is known for. The bottom line is the $395 per 100ml Sunshine Man is an outlandishly "poor" rated offering from a house that is apparently looking unsuccessfully for a new identity, earning it a 1 to 1.5 star out of 5 rating and an extremely strong avoid at all costs recommendation to all.

JoaoMartins 15 months ago
Overrated af+2
9.0
5.0
Lexa 3 years ago
I've tested all the Amouages for men,and all of them are beautiful.I'd say better than the ladies ones.But Sunshine smells of car freshener+2
OPomone 4 years ago
Take "Pour Un Homme de Caron".
Replace vanilla with toffee.
You get Sunshine Man.
Unoriginal and definitely overrated/oversweet/overpriced.+8
10.0
5.0

by EveMist
Ein liebes Dankeschön für eure tollen Kommis & Auszeichnungen :)
by Schoork
by Sanglier
by eBOSS
by eBOSS

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Ciel Woman by Amouage Gold Man by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Gold Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Fate Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage