Boundless 2021

Boundless by Amouage
Boundless is a new perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2021. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orangeBlood orange
FrankincenseFrankincense
MyrrhMyrrh
VetiverVetiver
PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by Robinn, last update on 09.09.2021.

Jazzbob
What is actually borderless here?
The brand Amouage has it somehow with flowery language:

"Boundless is a burst of joy, a fleeting euphoria that translates the vertical tension that drives those who want to hold the immensity of the world in their hands. This glowing and vibrant energy is reminiscent of sunlight reflecting off the dewy leaves of the jungle, flickering in rays through a flower-strewn canopy and grazing rainbow-colored trees before losing itself in gnarled and mist-shrouded branches. [...]"

(https://www.amouage.com/amouage-boundless)

I'm always torn about phrases like this, because on the one hand it's perfectly understandable that any kind of creative work - whether in the visual arts, music, movies, or perfumes - is based on specific impressions and feelings, but on the other hand it equally creates something mystifying - as if craftsmanship, certain experiences, or pure trial and error didn't make up the bulk of this work.

Boundless is definitely a fragrance that strikes me as very natural and quite well thought out. I always associate colours with perfumes too, and feel that those of the bottle are very appropriate, as it is a rather autumnal scent. At the same time, it has bright qualities which I would not have expected in this form. The opening is only briefly orangy; I find the particular spiciness of cardamom and some of the freshness/spiciness of ginger to be more prominent. But by far the most dominant notes for me are tobacco and vanilla, though I would have initially thought more of tonka bean here. I'm not a huge tobacco fan, but this is an exciting note in itself, combining warm, aromatic facets with a honeyed sweetness that comes from the maceration of the tobacco leaf. The woody, balsamic notes are more supportive, yet somehow noticeably present. I can't really filter out frankincense and oakmoss though - more like the lighter myrrh - as the scent seems too soft for that. I also don't feel reminded of cocoa. The dense texture of Boundless also hardly allows to clearly separate the base notes from each other.

Overall, I feel the fragrance already as complex and harmonious, but as so often, the sweetness is ultimately too much for me and you should already like tobacco to be able to wear the fragrance. A stronger contrast by the woody notes or incense would have done Boundless certainly good.

Nice but nothing groundbreaking
I am a little disappointed with this new offering from Amouage. With all the big notes that are supposed to be in it, it plays very much close to the skin. Don't get me wrong it smells lovely but there are many fragrances like it. Amouage to me have always been a house that break boundaries and have created some masterpieces in the past but their latest offerings have become very generic. Come on Amouage you need to go back to the drawing board.
The Frankenstein Amouage
Like so many here, I first thank Raz for the great sharing. This allowed us to test this very new fragrance very soon after the release.

Amouage is clearly one of my favorite fragrance houses and so I have also already very, very many fragrances from the house could test (and 2 bottles at home). As it seems, me (and obviously others) but this is now the doom, because you can not help but smell out of #Boundless many different other fragrances.
Let's start from the beginning.

Boundless starts for me very(!) Similar to Beloved Man , this is not surprising after a closer look but, share both fragrances in the top note but many fragrance notes, especially the orange and the Elemiharz. So who knows Beloved Man, knows how the top note smells. This is in itself already times strange, because Beloved Man is indeed a beautiful fragrance, but you do not need this a second time.

After about 15 to 30 minutes then comes through but also - as some have also already noted - a relatively strong similarity to Spicebomb Extreme, so a smoky creaminess. Here it becomes really strange, because Spicebomb is very well known (in contrast to Beloved Man) and accordingly many will have this association. So something may work if the pricing would be the other way around, so the role model would be more expensive than the present fragrance, but so many people will wonder why they should then reach for the more expensive "Dupe".

In the drydown, the fragrance then becomes increasingly sweet and (incense) smoky and then still begins to resemble Journey Man, but not as strong, as with the other two.

Overall, Boundless thus geriert to a Frankenstein (clear with so much frankincense, haha, attention pun) of various other fragrances; especially Beloved Man and Spicebomb extreme. That's a pity, because the fragrance is actually very appealing, but everything has been there before. If the fragrance had appeared 10 years ago, it would be something else, but so he is (unfortunately) a bit superfluous.

Thus, the fragrance for me rather belongs to the weaker Amouage fragrances, because it is simply not independent enough. The biggest criticism I have but (and also this was already partly mentioned in the statements), is the weak sillage. For an Amouage, especially from the sweet-smoky direction, this is still very disappointing; here it reminds then again of Beloved Man, which is nevertheless also quite skin-tingling. The durability could also be better, although this is fine.

The Flakon wiederrum deserves but of course again the highest rating; just this brown-purple color design makes already something her.

Overall, however, so unfortunately only an average Amouage and something disappointment spreads, the expectations were with the initial hype of the fragrance but quite high. Nevertheless, it is certainly worth it to test this fragrance once. Just for someone who does not yet know the other fragrances, Boundless may be a great experience, because the fragrance is not bad in itself ... would there only not the moderate sillage.
Unfortunately only average...
I received yesterday my filling of Boundless and have this of course immediately tested at this point many thanks to Duftrebellen for sharing. Boundless continues the trend of unisex Amouage. The unisex concept is also well done here.

The fragrance is but unfortunately for me quite a mess. I smell here as the previous speakers have already aptly noted similarities to Spicebomb and Gucci Pour Homme 1 and to Roja Enigma Cologne. However, Boundless has a cinnamon note and a plum jam note as was also noted in another review. The sweetness and slightly fruity note is also present in Sunshine Man. A soft and mild tobacco I can also detect here. Similarities to Enclave and Journey Man I do not see so really.

Unfortunately, I can not gain so much from this Amouage. The fragrance is just too average for me, it lacks the special as it creates for example Interlude Man. I simply lack the unusual of Amouage. Unfortunately, this trend continues now since the last releases since 2020. Boundless does not reflect the price of almost 300€ for me. It could also be a Spicebomb for 50-60€, of course, the Amouage is qualitatively better than Spicebomb, but not so much that the Amoauge is worth 300€.

I am unfortunately very sure that I will not buy a bottle of Boundless, I just lack the WOW effect.
Plum jam deluxe
Who here likes plum jam? Yes? - Then THIS is your fragrance. The must then simply be ;-)

After I was mostly disappointed by the Amouages of recent years, I have also started here first only with a sample. I had the fragrance for 160 USD already in the cart - aargh! Anyway: The first time I sprayed it on, I had an experience like the first time with Epic, Memoir or Jubi. Just great, soft, velvety, balanced and thoroughly harmonious (look at the ancient Greeks, what ideas they had of the harmony of the body - here as a fragrance).

Overall, rather sweet; with the pick out and the accurate designation of the components I do myself difficult. You might as well have a monkey throwing at a dartboard. But associations I can: plum jam! That's probably because of the cardamom. Of course, the swill is more complex, but the sweetness with the slight spiciness goes roughly in that direction. The sweetness isn't overbearing, though, and you don't have the impulse to brush your teeth or reach for the aspirin. Just nice.

The first test squirt on the wrist in the evening did not last long. I would have pressed harder. But the next day then a very similar impression: four spritzes applied in the morning and already I could have put on the jam shelf. But I'm afraid after four hours no one would have taken me. Gone, just gone. Well, not quite. But the scent has far too little power for my taste - so no plum bump, I'm afraid. That doesn't have to bother, but annoying for me at that price. And it is very close to the skin - okay, it's nice that the fragrance gets under the skin - but why in the double sense? Since the Stulle with spread has more spatial presence.

The course is rather stable, for me has not done much to the fragrance in the few hours. But this is not at all tragic, the beautiful prelude thus remains longer. Fairly, I must say that my wife has worn at the same time Aventa and that is yes a sillage warhorse.

For what season and occasions? Ui - do I have to write that now too?! Nix for the summer - the fragrance is probably immediately disassembled by the first rays of sunshine. Actually, no matter, but wear what you want and when.

There are said to be people who call fragrances their own, on which they only sniff from time to time. This is such a one and that is not meant pejoratively. On the contrary - this is just art. And you go with expensive paintings yes also not Gassi, or ;-)

Who can, absolutely test times. Just I look at a sample of SHL "Isra & Miraj" - I've never worn, but already sniffed it umpteen times, because he simply fascinates me.

Who still does not know whether he should buy the fragrance, the next time you go shopping, turn to the shelf with the plum jam. An extremely underestimated spread!

ScentDane
Almost there but not quite
I had high expectations for Boundless after reading the note description, and the mood that Karine Vinchon-Spehner wants to portray with it.

Boundless opens sweet and spicy with blood orange, green cardamom and cinnamon tree/bark. It gives you a nice, warm feeling. If Spicebomb Infrared had smelled like this, it would have been an amazing scent. The opening feel lingers throughout the life of Boundless, but gets mixed in with the vanilla, tobacco, and all the woody/earthy oils (vetiver, gaiac, patchouli, etc). I don't pick up the cacao that much.

The times that I've tested it, I get reminded of spicebomb/Rehab/1899, Aramis Tobacco Reserve and a bit of Gucci PH 1 too. I do really like this scent, but for me it particularly feels flat in terms of projection and longecity. I find it hard to pick up after six hours, and it doesn't project much. For me this falls in the same line of newer Amouage fragrances like Meander and Enclave, that looks good on paper, starts out good, but just cannot reach the level that you would expect from Amouage due to their previous scents. I love Jubilation XXV, Journey, Beach Hut, Reflection Man, Epic Man. But the newer ones doesn't even come close.

So in summary, if this had been a designer I had paid 70-90€ for, it would have been an excellent fragrance, but because this is Amouage, I did expect more, and Boundless thus just becomes a good fragrance that I like, but don't love.

Nothing groundbreaking
I wanted to love this, it has almost the same notes as Memo african leather except the vanilla taking it to another direction. BUT it falls short, and It all sounds very beautiful with the forest and Golden Wood etc. And while this IS an okay fragrance, it just falls under the same genre of the meh stuff Amouage has put out lately.
Perhaps i expected more after the enclave and meander really didnt Wow me. Sorry to the people who love this. :(

Sample first !!

Another great Amouage
I was lucky enough to get my hands on this beauty now, and after the first spray, I'm glad to note that it's not as complicated as Memoir Man, another Karine Vinchon-Spehner creation.

It starts with an explosion of orange and cardamom, the sweet bitter type and not very punchy like in PdM Kalan. After a while it evolves into a nice, thick, sweet smell from the vanilla, but not the annoying one like from Ani.

After a few minutes, it develops with nuances of cocoa, tobacco, and incense. There's also vetiver root in the notes and it's slightly bitter, but so nice.

There's also a bit of a ginger note in there and it's only there at the beginning, an hour later I feel something like luxurious cocoa and myrrh with incense in the background.
I like it a lot and it's definitely in the top 4 with Overture, Reflection Man and Jubilation 25.

In a world of endless flankers, ambroxans and iso-e-super, I can see why Amouage is so special when I get another wonderful creation like this

TaddyTaddy 3 months ago
Very spicy in the opening, quite resembling Enclave in the heart (with the mint toned down). For now,nice but not 'wow'.More wearing needed.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 months ago
A heavy dose of spices, mainly cardamom, cumin. The scent is woody (gaiac wood) with dry tobacco and myrrh. Vanilla and benzoin in the base.
ScentDaneScentDane 5 months ago
What Spicebomb Infrared should have been. Warm, woody, spicy, but lacks projection and longevity. Expected more from Amouage.

by Dandrobe
by Eleasar
by Robinn
by Robinn

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Interlude Man 53 by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage