Enclave 2020

Enclave by Amouage
Enclave is a new perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Spearmint, Pink pepper CO2, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose absolute, Patchouli, Frankincense, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesSaffiano™, Amber Xtreme™, Labdanum

Submitted by Narjesi, last update on 12.04.2021.

The scent is part of the "Renaissance" collection.

Fragrant greetings from the Norway of Arabia
At Amouage, you have for a while the feeling that their creations almost every month raus hauen. Hardly a new photo is published here is already the next fragrance in the starting blocks. Productive they are so, but can Amouage meet the high qualitative demands along with the exclusive prices?

Especially the new Renaissance Collection with Ashore, Crimson Rock, Enclave and Meander does apparently in contrast to many other Amouage fragrances relatively difficult. Remarkably, they are all declared as unisex, but the fragrances in the typical ladies flacons as rather feminine and those in the typical men's flacons as rather masculine are perceived. Coincidence or yet calculation?

Also with the name choice one seems to be quite creative, whereby "Enclave" refers according to description on the Amouage side to the Omani exclave (each Enclave is as well known also an exclave) Musandam, which lies completely in the north of the Arabian peninsula at the road of the Hormus and well 100 km far away from the Sultanate. That area is called because of the many fjords also the Norway of Arabia.

From above this may be true, but in photos you see rather barren desert-like landscapes that have nothing to do with Norway's impressive fjords.
Moreover, I do not understand how this bridge olfactory to the fragrance, which is praised full-bodied with freshness, which is cleverly trapped in a rich, earthy warm hiding. Sounds absolutely promising, to say the least, if a bit too thickly applied marketing gobbledygook.

And so Enclave is indeed an eau de parfum that is a bit polarizing. However, I must admit that the top note is terrific. So can only smell a perfume that asserts itself beyond all mainstream and drugstore releases. Here, value is celebrated with a noble opening of spicy and fresh notes - and warm, mysterious, slightly sweet and rich.

If you look at the called price, so every cent seems to be almost justified, even if associations thanks to cardamom, mint and cinnamon to the yellow Wrigleys chewing gum spread. This pulls you into the spell and includes the wearer in an exclusive world with a previously never shown kind of warm freshness. Top!

Shortly thereafter, mint sets the tone - continues to be beautifully refreshing and not at all intrusive. Comparable to Moroccan mint tea. That's how I like it. But only a few moments later, the wonderful build-up collapses and Enclave becomes a rather sticky-sweet abbreviation of various nuances, which you look for in vain in the pyramid. Also from the promised remaining ingredients far and wide no trace. Not necessarily unpleasant, but not at all exciting and appealing.

Is it supposed to be like that? Is that intentional? Great disappointment spreads, because with this Enclave can not collect points, let alone find buyers. In places I feel reminded of the totally screwed up No Limit$ by Philip Plein under the olfactory direction of Alberto Morillas. Actually a good opener, but shortly thereafter a nosedive into synthetic realms that no one longed for. Similar misplaced synthetics can be found here as well, unfortunately. Especially the amber seems to me to have gone unnaturally under the wheels here.

Unlike No Limit$, there is at least a small consolation here, which almost reconciles again. Although the fragrance in the base gets the butt more or less no longer up, however, Enclave on textiles retains its steep top note complexity and is thus still useful. Namely, I got a little on my sweater when I sprayed it on. This sniffed even after days just gorgeous.
So who can make so much gravel for an Amouage loose, should still some money for a .... let's say scarf or the like have left over, which he may loosely wet with it and strut around. Considering the latter spray and wear option an excellent fragrance ... otherwise, just in the drydown rather questionable.

Nice but different
I like my Amouages bold, strong and non commercial. This edition goes every bit against my liking but nonetheless it is still a pretty decent scent. I enjoy the sweet minty presence and would wear it no problem. And here comes the but. For the current price it's an easy pass for me. I feel like this entire renaissance range could shed a pound or two or 50 for what the current pricing is. It is not as great as classic Amouage stuff, wouldn't be surprised if this range gets butchered out of the range in few years.
2020Antiope
All the splendour of the Renaissance
Enclave; what a name for a perfume; nonsensical to my sensibilities and as if the determiners couldn't think of anything else. The main thing is to name some unusual title to luridly demand all attention. No matter what comes of it.
That was my first thought when I held the little bottling in my hands. Do the creators want to lure their clientele to a desert island? Or to a region, a city, an area of which one has no idea at all or where one does not want to go, because it is not necessarily desirable to be there? Oh, why worry too much; I'll test the bottling, write a statement and be on my way. If a test already starts so unwillingly; it usually becomes nothing...

The fragrance assaults restrained, but determined as a prelude with a citrusy, smoky, earthy, leathery Scent and all at once. Highly discordant for my nose, but not uninteresting!
Then the citrus components, which I find much more intense than the mint indicated here, as in a mosaic stone after stone to a picture, an overall impression together, which I can only describe as ingenious to express my enthusiasm!

Patchouly, roses, incense; all ingredients that actually like to promise that it is here 'once again a Rosenoud; but no. The voluminous citrus djinnis do not allow that even one of the three aforementioned success spoiled trophy holders climbs the podium alone. They will only win as a group and so, smiling generously but with conviction, they open their elite circle to welcome the little spices and leather notes amicably into it. Small spices because I perceive cinnamon and cardamom only as a slight inkling, but amused the pepper, which winks constantly as a refined clou now and then with the eyes!

For hours, I am warmly wrapped in a fragrance that I would rather define as a masculine, woody leathery, spicy, but also demonstratively independent companion with casual elegance, than as a feminine flattery, which it is also without a doubt.
In memoriam of the great Renaissance princes, whose power and opulence still seem impressive to our eyes, it was perhaps this aspiration, this desire of the creator that led him to choose this name after completing his creation; an enclave to sink into the colorful, magnificent world of the Renaissance that we see immortalized in the paintings of Raphael and Botticelli and that takes us to places where we ourselves are Renaissance princes in robes and retinues that are unaffordable to everyone else.

This fragrance, which lavishly celebrates a bygone era and wonderfully manifests, gives a unique presence. Of this one (s) should be aware, so as not to go down with (or rather without) song and sound...

...................................................................................................................

(Dear Eggi, I send you a kissy hand for this bottling!
I feel like "La Bella" by Tizian and I don't want to let go of this idea at all...)

Barbalix
Where are you going, Amouage....
What is this?

Interesting, maybe, but but nothing spectacular. Especially, for this price tag.

I am wondering where is going Amouage with its new creative director...but back to the fragrance.

It opens with aromatic mint, and a hint of cardamon and pink pepper. I can detect the cinnamon as well. The heart is made of earthy vetiver and patchouli, the rose is also detectable. The base is labdanum, and cheap, synthetic amber.

What is this, again?

Amouage wanted to make again a beast mode fragrance, so they put in the base cheap and synthetic amber xtreme? It gives me a feeling the lack of any kind of fantasy. On the top of it, they put cheap ingredients, so at the end we got what...? I have the feeling that Enclavee is an unfinished fragrance, this cannot be mentioned on the same page with the famous Interlude or Memoire or Jubilation...while there I can see and feel the quality, here none of them are presence.

This fragrance could be accepted as a med-class designer fragrance, but with this price tag, it is nothing more than a bad joke.
Very simple: Mint - cardamom - pungent, sweet amber woods
When it comes to perfumes, very concrete images are often described as sources of inspiration, so in the end it's more than just a list of individual notes. For this fragrance, Amouage refers to the enclave of Musandam, the northernmost Omani governorate surrounded by the United Arab Emirates. To quote the manufacturer's website:

"As the last sun rays bid farewell to fjords of Musandam, Enclave sophisticatedly portrays the freshness trapped inside a rich, earthy warm hideaway where land meets the sea."

Unfortunately, Enclave does not seem so poetic to me and I have to admit that I once again found myself in the typical situation that the given notes sounded very appealing and my correspondingly high expectations were ultimately disappointed.

I would like to emphasize right away that this fragrance is not so easy to grasp at the first go and that I was able to perceive different facets of the second test than the first one. First of all, the strong mint is clearly in the foreground, which I would describe as herbaceous and fresh, but also as reminiscent of chewing gum. Underneath there is still a subtle cardamom aroma and a creamy, very light and bright amber accord, which contributes a little sweetness. Interestingly enough, Enclave seems less sweet to me - mind you, a despiser of gourmands - than other people around me have noticed. What I can also smell from the beginning is a pungent woody component, which I've come across quite often (greetings go out to NikEy - he knows what I mean). Nuances of leather are visible on my skin after a while, while the persistent mint gradually fades. Cinnamon, rose, frankincense and labdanum, on the other hand, are missing every trace.

So Enclave is a very unique combination, which is not really bad for me, nor does it really work, because the fragrance is much simpler and more linear than I had hoped for and doesn't evoke the intended images. I miss the mentioned warmth here, the incense that is typical for Amouage as well and the pungent wood-synthetic destroys the otherwise at least pleasant impression. For the price of 300 € / 100 ml this is clearly too little.
GymBuddy
Enclave - the very own in the foreign
My first Amouage from the Renaissance Collection. Freely translated from the French as "rebirth", it is emphasized here once again that one likes to reinvent oneself regularly - Amouage has been following quite new, experimental scent paths for some time now.
Enclave also has little confusion with other fragrances and starts with a scent chord that I have never noticed before:
Spearmint gum, slightly cinnamon-sweetened with the clear leathery scent of the rough inside of a suede wallet. I have this leather association with the scent component called Saffiano, which I can perceive from the first moment, which becomes stronger and stronger as the day progresses and remains clearly perceptible on the skin even after a day.
Mint scents remain difficult for me. Either you are at flight level sauna infusion or it goes towards sweet After Eight or you have something pungent against the cold in your nose. Actually, with "Geranium pour Monsieur" from Malle I only know one mint scent so far, which I really appreciate, and this mainly because the natural herbaceousness gives an unbelievable purity and fresh clarity. Enclave does not have this. The mint in Enclave initially conveys freshness and coolness but quickly becomes creamy and sweetish Natural-looking scented oils cannot have been the goal with Enclave. Be it mint, leather, rose or amber - all fragrances are rather used as an abstraction of themselves and rather create an association with the respective desired scent.
In the course of the fragrance the sweet spearmint then makes room for a potpourri rose. This smells unfamiliar again, because mint with rose is not something I know as a fragrance chord. When mint weakens and the rose and leather are the protagonists, you can carry a fragrance with you for about 2 hours that reminds you of "Myth / Amouage", but compared to the original, it is creamy, milky and not so brute.
At some point only the sweetness of a chewed chewing gum with some suede on the skin remains.
Unfortunately I cannot understand the classification "sweet-woody" on Parfumo. Woody, I find Enclave at no time "fresh-sweet-leathery" I would find more suitable.
Is that a big throw from Amouage now? The above mentioned abstraction of the individual scent components to something new can be considered positively as art or as a bad cobbling together of new synthetic laboratory developments, which come from the laboratories of e.g. IFF.
I'm leaning towards something in between. Getting to know the unknown scent chords was exciting and the mint fades out even just before the moment when it becomes annoying, but I wasn't captivated by the scent - it was too synthetic in its components. The fragrance may not even pretend to be natural - that is the concept here. Very creative and artistic but somehow not mine. H/S are in the upper third of the Amouage range. Only Amouage will know why this minty scent friend doesn't come in the milky green bottle from Meander - for me, it would have fitted the fragrance much better.
For the future, I would like Amouage to give me a musky scent. With the creativity of the house, I would like to be surprised here.

TaddyTaddy 5 days ago
Beautiful minty-smokey-resinous scent. The late drydown somewhat reminds me of it's older brother Beloved Man.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 months ago
Opening with sweet mint, cardamom and a touch of cinnamon. A wonderful drydown with sweet amber, patchouli, frankincense and slightly woody.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 3 months ago
A rather gentle, yet dry and dusty leathery-woody Mid season fragrance, with a bright and uplifting spicy-green opening. More masculine.
TetracomTetracom 4 months ago
I am disappointed with new Amouage releases. An attempt to make a mass-appealing scent, which ended up being like menthol cigarette butts.
ParisTexasParisTexas 4 months ago
Amouage has lost its soul in the mass market. The art of perfumery died here. Infinite sadness.
TRehfTRehf 4 months ago
Starts with mint, develops into Amber and woods. Very mass-appealing, a bit unique, great longevity. Well blended, definitely not synthetic.
BielwenassBielwenass 4 months ago
Mint and some extremely synthetic off-putting musk. A disappointment from Amouage.

by Boban
by Boban
by VentoAureo
by VentoAureo

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man 53 by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Homage by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage