Enclave 2020

Enclave by Amouage
Enclave is a new perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamomCardamom
VetiverVetiver
Base Notes Base NotesSaffiano™Saffiano™
Amber Xtreme™Amber Xtreme™
LabdanumLabdanum

Submitted by Narjesi, last update on 21.10.2021.

The scent is part of the "Renaissance" collection.

Phoning It In...
Enclave goes on skin with a light, fresh spearmint with hints of soft cinnamon and cardamom spice before gradually transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the natural smelling spearmint remains, continued to be supported by the soft cinnamon and cardamom spice, but now also supported by translucent floral rose and warm saffron. This slightly fiery "red hots" overall accord gradually cedes to at first a supporting vague synthetic woody amber accord that increases in intensity over time to take over the starring role about midway into the heart. During the late dry-down the synthetic woody amber accord dominates, as the rose and mint vacate, leaving remnants of the saffron and cardamom spice remaining in support through the finish. Projection is excellent, and longevity outstanding at nearly 20 hours on skin.

When I heard Julien Rasquinet was the perfumer behind Enclave, I was excited. Mr. Rasquinet is a real up-and-comer, with already outstanding compositions like The Moon by Frederic Malle under his belt. If capable of that kind of work among many others of interest, Enclave should be a safe bet, no? Well, in a word, "*No.*" Things start off well enough, with a pretty enticing natural smelling spearmint and warm spice open... But when the spearmint and warm spice join a thin, transparent rose in the early heart the composition begins to smell like fiery red hots candy, but with an odd soft detergent-like floral bent. Things go from bad to worse when the *real* star of the show arrives... a vague synthetic smelling woody amber accord that starts off in the background, but gradually takes control and overpowers most of the other notes, save the warm spice. The bottom line is the $340 per 100ml bottle Enclave is probably the talented Julien Rasquinet's worst work, earning a "poor" 2 stars out of 5 rating and an avoid recommendation.
Oasis Enclave Heartlaces
"Enclave" has Amouage's typical oriental cream DNA - but overlaid with a synthetic mint freshness that naturally suggests fusion with northern European countries. But does the calculation work out? And why is there not an olfactory explosion of opposing scents? Rather the opposite?

"Enclave" is totally at rest in itself. Almost too much, it can seem somewhat extremely linear, staid and boring. Despite the interesting thematic and regional contrasts on paper. A creamy cardamom flatterer with a minty-fresh top note - that smells incredibly soothing and delicious to my nose, but in the end, is it too little? Yes, even I'm not now kicked out of the pats. Spearmint meets oriental travel catalogue. The bottle color fits perfectly, light bubblegum vibes in classy, very monotonous and almost soporific. The German comedian who speaks so slowly comes to mind as a counterpart. "Enclave" unfortunately never gets off the ground and comes across as greyish-blueishly indifferent. And yet maybe at least a reliable, everyday companion? Even signature scent? Well, let's not go too far. And one expects more from Amouage. But I simply cannot and will not classify "Enclave" as a lousy fragrance. Personally, I'm already way too into cardamom for that.

Flacon: Amouge with beautiful color
Sillage: strong - but not for an Amouage
Durability: 9 hours Nordorientstyle

Conclusion: the most Baltic, minty and monotonous Amouage ever? Can be. But bad is different.

Shourav
Enclave that connects 3 States!
As "Enclave" is a new Fragnance from the luxury house "Amouage", released in 2020, it's still on the pricier side comparing their old releases. Though I was planning to buy a tester blindly, I resisted myself thinking of it's high price tag. But luckily, I have been honored having an official vial from a friend as a gift. However, let's just get into my initial impression about Enclave...

"Enclave" starts with big big blast of Fresh and sparkling Spearmint which is quite natural smelling to my nose unlike Spearmint flavor used in our regular toothpaste, but still that can be a reference point in order to recognize the aroma profile. Just right after the spraying, may be after 5 second, a distinct Herbalish note emerges exactly like a high grade Pachouli Tincture if I'm not wrong and plays with the Spearmint for may be 20 more seconds... There comes into play, the mighty Cardamom and Cinnamon. At this stage the composition smells like Strong Clove surprisingly but doesn't stays long on my skin rather it's like a moderate punch of Clove for a very tiny amount of time, let's say, another 10-15 seconds. Then it's Spearmint, Cardamom and Cinnamon... Fresh and Spicy with some edible sweetness if that makes sense. Appearance of Clove is just an accident IMHO because of the masterful blending of Cardamom and Cinnamon. Because, as we all know Clove itself is a very dominating note and polarizing to some extent, if it was the fact that Amouage put Clove note into the composition of Enclave, it would definitely have lasted much longer than it actually does. However, From this point Enclave goes into a different territory on my skin or I would say It goes towards a surprisingly familiar territory of one of my all time favorite fragnances... and that's "Enigma" by Roja Dove! Yes, it is... Enclave definitely resembles Enigma in this stage for more than 80% (at least to my humble and apprentice nose). That Cola vibe of Enigma is there but not exactly the same, just a bit of it, rather they both resembles each other in the sweet, spicy tones from Cardamom and when I took close whips of it I found a very similar undercurrent of soapiness flows from both of them. This was something really unpredictable for me although I encountered that as a matter of fact. Thereafter, may be after 20mins since the initial spray, Enclave punched me with another fist of surprise!!! Ask me what? It starts to reminding me of another loving fragnance... and that's "The Dark Side" from the house of "Francesca Bianchi"!! That same Ambery, Incense-y, a bit of honey like sweetness on a very soft base of herbaceous Pachouli and semi-dark florals! and may be a very soft, almost unnoticeable touch of woodiness. The composition goes like this without any further transition untill it reached it's final stage of life that I found on the next morning that it only contains a soft spicy-woody aroma like a commercial Oud at it's last stage. I don't know why I felt like that as Oud, as a note is not listed in the composition of Enclave so far I know, but I honestly noticed that. And Enclave dies on my skin like that. So, as an obvious outcome of my experience with Enclave, I titled him "Enclave that connects 3 States"...

For me, though Enclave has some freshness within, I wouldn't mark it as a fresh fragnance, specially for our tropical weather condition. For performance, It has very good longevity with moderate to strong projection and sillage.

The whole experience is shared from my limited understanding. So, I do apologize for any mistake I made as fragnances are universally very subjective that gives different experience to different noses...

Last but not the least, I found Enclave to be a must try fragnance for fresh-spicy-oriental fragnance lovers. But undoubtedly, it's much more than that...

Fragrant greetings from the Norway of Arabia
At Amouage, you have for a while the feeling that their creations almost every month raus hauen. Hardly a new photo is published here is already the next fragrance in the starting blocks. Productive they are so, but can Amouage meet the high qualitative demands along with the exclusive prices?

Especially the new Renaissance Collection with Ashore, Crimson Rock, Enclave and Meander does apparently in contrast to many other Amouage fragrances relatively difficult. Remarkably, they are all declared as unisex, but the fragrances in the typical ladies flacons as rather feminine and those in the typical men's flacons as rather masculine are perceived. Coincidence or yet calculation?

Also with the name choice one seems to be quite creative, whereby "Enclave" refers according to description on the Amouage side to the Omani exclave (each Enclave is as well known also an exclave) Musandam, which lies completely in the north of the Arabian peninsula at the road of the Hormus and well 100 km far away from the Sultanate. That area is called because of the many fjords also the Norway of Arabia.

From above this may be true, but in photos you see rather barren desert-like landscapes that have nothing to do with Norway's impressive fjords.
Moreover, I do not understand how this bridge olfactory to the fragrance, which is praised full-bodied with freshness, which is cleverly trapped in a rich, earthy warm hiding. Sounds absolutely promising, to say the least, if a bit too thickly applied marketing gobbledygook.

And so Enclave is indeed an eau de parfum that is a bit polarizing. However, I must admit that the top note is terrific. So can only smell a perfume that asserts itself beyond all mainstream and drugstore releases. Here, value is celebrated with a noble opening of spicy and fresh notes - and warm, mysterious, slightly sweet and rich.

If you look at the called price, so every cent seems to be almost justified, even if associations thanks to cardamom, mint and cinnamon to the yellow Wrigleys chewing gum spread. This pulls you into the spell and includes the wearer in an exclusive world with a previously never shown kind of warm freshness. Top!

Shortly thereafter, mint sets the tone - continues to be beautifully refreshing and not at all intrusive. Comparable to Moroccan mint tea. That's how I like it. But only a few moments later, the wonderful build-up collapses and Enclave becomes a rather sticky-sweet abbreviation of various nuances, which you look for in vain in the pyramid. Also from the promised remaining ingredients far and wide no trace. Not necessarily unpleasant, but not at all exciting and appealing.

Is it supposed to be like that? Is that intentional? Great disappointment spreads, because with this Enclave can not collect points, let alone find buyers. In places I feel reminded of the totally screwed up No Limit$ by Philip Plein under the olfactory direction of Alberto Morillas. Actually a good opener, but shortly thereafter a nosedive into synthetic realms that no one longed for. Similar misplaced synthetics can be found here as well, unfortunately. Especially the amber seems to me to have gone unnaturally under the wheels here.

Unlike No Limit$, there is at least a small consolation here, which almost reconciles again. Although the fragrance in the base gets the butt more or less no longer up, however, Enclave on textiles retains its steep top note complexity and is thus still useful. Namely, I got a little on my sweater when I sprayed it on. This sniffed even after days just gorgeous.
So who can make so much gravel for an Amouage loose, should still some money for a .... let's say scarf or the like have left over, which he may loosely wet with it and strut around. Considering the latter spray and wear option an excellent fragrance ... otherwise, just in the drydown rather questionable.

Nice but different
I like my Amouages bold, strong and non commercial. This edition goes every bit against my liking but nonetheless it is still a pretty decent scent. I enjoy the sweet minty presence and would wear it no problem. And here comes the but. For the current price it's an easy pass for me. I feel like this entire renaissance range could shed a pound or two or 50 for what the current pricing is. It is not as great as classic Amouage stuff, wouldn't be surprised if this range gets butchered out of the range in few years.

Barbalix
Where are you going, Amouage....
What is this?

Interesting, maybe, but but nothing spectacular. Especially, for this price tag.

I am wondering where is going Amouage with its new creative director...but back to the fragrance.

It opens with aromatic mint, and a hint of cardamon and pink pepper. I can detect the cinnamon as well. The heart is made of earthy vetiver and patchouli, the rose is also detectable. The base is labdanum, and cheap, synthetic amber.

What is this, again?

Amouage wanted to make again a beast mode fragrance, so they put in the base cheap and synthetic amber xtreme? It gives me a feeling the lack of any kind of fantasy. On the top of it, they put cheap ingredients, so at the end we got what...? I have the feeling that Enclavee is an unfinished fragrance, this cannot be mentioned on the same page with the famous Interlude or Memoire or Jubilation...while there I can see and feel the quality, here none of them are presence.

This fragrance could be accepted as a med-class designer fragrance, but with this price tag, it is nothing more than a bad joke.
Very simple: Mint - cardamom - pungent, sweet amber woods
When it comes to perfumes, very concrete images are often described as sources of inspiration, so in the end it's more than just a list of individual notes. For this fragrance, Amouage refers to the enclave of Musandam, the northernmost Omani governorate surrounded by the United Arab Emirates. To quote the manufacturer's website:

"As the last sun rays bid farewell to fjords of Musandam, Enclave sophisticatedly portrays the freshness trapped inside a rich, earthy warm hideaway where land meets the sea."

Unfortunately, Enclave does not seem so poetic to me and I have to admit that I once again found myself in the typical situation that the given notes sounded very appealing and my correspondingly high expectations were ultimately disappointed.

I would like to emphasize right away that this fragrance is not so easy to grasp at the first go and that I was able to perceive different facets of the second test than the first one. First of all, the strong mint is clearly in the foreground, which I would describe as herbaceous and fresh, but also as reminiscent of chewing gum. Underneath there is still a subtle cardamom aroma and a creamy, very light and bright amber accord, which contributes a little sweetness. Interestingly enough, Enclave seems less sweet to me - mind you, a despiser of gourmands - than other people around me have noticed. What I can also smell from the beginning is a pungent woody component, which I've come across quite often (greetings go out to NikEy - he knows what I mean). Nuances of leather are visible on my skin after a while, while the persistent mint gradually fades. Cinnamon, rose, frankincense and labdanum, on the other hand, are missing every trace.

So Enclave is a very unique combination, which is not really bad for me, nor does it really work, because the fragrance is much simpler and more linear than I had hoped for and doesn't evoke the intended images. I miss the mentioned warmth here, the incense that is typical for Amouage as well and the pungent wood-synthetic destroys the otherwise at least pleasant impression. For the price of 300 € / 100 ml this is clearly too little.
GymBuddy
Enclave - the very own in the foreign
My first Amouage from the Renaissance Collection. Freely translated from the French as "rebirth", it is emphasized here once again that one likes to reinvent oneself regularly - Amouage has been following quite new, experimental scent paths for some time now.
Enclave also has little confusion with other fragrances and starts with a scent chord that I have never noticed before:
Spearmint gum, slightly cinnamon-sweetened with the clear leathery scent of the rough inside of a suede wallet. I have this leather association with the scent component called Saffiano, which I can perceive from the first moment, which becomes stronger and stronger as the day progresses and remains clearly perceptible on the skin even after a day.
Mint scents remain difficult for me. Either you are at flight level sauna infusion or it goes towards sweet After Eight or you have something pungent against the cold in your nose. Actually, with "Geranium pour Monsieur" from Malle I only know one mint scent so far, which I really appreciate, and this mainly because the natural herbaceousness gives an unbelievable purity and fresh clarity. Enclave does not have this. The mint in Enclave initially conveys freshness and coolness but quickly becomes creamy and sweetish Natural-looking scented oils cannot have been the goal with Enclave. Be it mint, leather, rose or amber - all fragrances are rather used as an abstraction of themselves and rather create an association with the respective desired scent.
In the course of the fragrance the sweet spearmint then makes room for a potpourri rose. This smells unfamiliar again, because mint with rose is not something I know as a fragrance chord. When mint weakens and the rose and leather are the protagonists, you can carry a fragrance with you for about 2 hours that reminds you of "Myth / Amouage", but compared to the original, it is creamy, milky and not so brute.
At some point only the sweetness of a chewed chewing gum with some suede on the skin remains.
Unfortunately I cannot understand the classification "sweet-woody" on Parfumo. Woody, I find Enclave at no time "fresh-sweet-leathery" I would find more suitable.
Is that a big throw from Amouage now? The above mentioned abstraction of the individual scent components to something new can be considered positively as art or as a bad cobbling together of new synthetic laboratory developments, which come from the laboratories of e.g. IFF.
I'm leaning towards something in between. Getting to know the unknown scent chords was exciting and the mint fades out even just before the moment when it becomes annoying, but I wasn't captivated by the scent - it was too synthetic in its components. The fragrance may not even pretend to be natural - that is the concept here. Very creative and artistic but somehow not mine. H/S are in the upper third of the Amouage range. Only Amouage will know why this minty scent friend doesn't come in the milky green bottle from Meander - for me, it would have fitted the fragrance much better.
For the future, I would like Amouage to give me a musky scent. With the creativity of the house, I would like to be surprised here.

TaddyTaddy 7 months ago
Beautiful minty-smokey-resinous-ambery scent. The late drydown somewhat reminds me of it's older brother Beloved Man, but far from identical
BertolucciKBertolucciK 9 months ago
Opening with sweet mint, cardamom and a touch of cinnamon. A wonderful drydown with sweet amber, patchouli, frankincense and slightly woody.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 10 months ago
A rather gentle, yet dry and dusty leathery-woody Mid season fragrance, with a bright and uplifting spicy-green opening. More masculine.
TetracomTetracom 10 months ago
I am disappointed with new Amouage releases. An attempt to make a mass-appealing scent, which ended up being like menthol cigarette butts.
ParisTexasParisTexas 10 months ago
Amouage has lost its soul in the mass market. The art of perfumery died here. Infinite sadness.
TRehfTRehf 10 months ago
Starts with mint, develops into Amber and woods. Very mass-appealing, a bit unique, great longevity. Well blended, definitely not synthetic.
BielwenassBielwenass 10 months ago
Mint and some extremely synthetic off-putting musk. A disappointment from Amouage.

by Dovlicaaa
by TheNicheOne
by VentoAureo
by VentoAureo

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage