Enclave 2020

Enclave by Amouage
Enclave is a new perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Spearmint, Pink pepper CO2, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose absolute, Patchouli, Frankincense, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesSaffiano™, Amber Xtreme™, Labdanum

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.10.2020.

The scent is part of the "Renaissance" collection.

Very simple: Mint - cardamom - pungent, sweet amber woods
When it comes to perfumes, very concrete images are often described as sources of inspiration, so in the end it's more than just a list of individual notes. For this fragrance, Amouage refers to the enclave of Musandam, the northernmost Omani governorate surrounded by the United Arab Emirates. To quote the manufacturer's website:

"As the last sun rays bid farewell to fjords of Musandam, Enclave sophisticatedly portrays the freshness trapped inside a rich, earthy warm hideaway where land meets the sea."

Unfortunately, Enclave does not seem so poetic to me and I have to admit that I once again found myself in the typical situation that the given notes sounded very appealing and my correspondingly high expectations were ultimately disappointed.

I would like to emphasize right away that this fragrance is not so easy to grasp at the first go and that I was able to perceive different facets of the second test than the first one. First of all, the strong mint is clearly in the foreground, which I would describe as herbaceous and fresh, but also as reminiscent of chewing gum. Underneath there is still a subtle cardamom aroma and a creamy, very light and bright amber accord, which contributes a little sweetness. Interestingly enough, Enclave seems less sweet to me - mind you, a despiser of gourmands - than other people around me have noticed. What I can also smell from the beginning is a pungent woody component, which I've come across quite often (greetings go out to NikEy - he knows what I mean). Nuances of leather are visible on my skin after a while, while the persistent mint gradually fades. Cinnamon, rose, frankincense and labdanum, on the other hand, are missing every trace.

So Enclave is a very unique combination, which is not really bad for me, nor does it really work, because the fragrance is much simpler and more linear than I had hoped for and doesn't evoke the intended images. I miss the mentioned warmth here, the incense that is typical for Amouage as well and the pungent wood-synthetic destroys the otherwise at least pleasant impression. For the price of 300 € / 100 ml this is clearly too little.
GymBuddy
Enclave - the very own in the foreign
My first Amouage from the Renaissance Collection. Freely translated from the French as "rebirth", it is emphasized here once again that one likes to reinvent oneself regularly - Amouage has been following quite new, experimental scent paths for some time now.
Enclave also has little confusion with other fragrances and starts with a scent chord that I have never noticed before:
Spearmint gum, slightly cinnamon-sweetened with the clear leathery scent of the rough inside of a suede wallet. I have this leather association with the scent component called Saffiano, which I can perceive from the first moment, which becomes stronger and stronger as the day progresses and remains clearly perceptible on the skin even after a day.
Mint scents remain difficult for me. Either you are at flight level sauna infusion or it goes towards sweet After Eight or you have something pungent against the cold in your nose. Actually, with "Geranium pour Monsieur" from Malle I only know one mint scent so far, which I really appreciate, and this mainly because the natural herbaceousness gives an unbelievable purity and fresh clarity. Enclave does not have this. The mint in Enclave initially conveys freshness and coolness but quickly becomes creamy and sweetish Natural-looking scented oils cannot have been the goal with Enclave. Be it mint, leather, rose or amber - all fragrances are rather used as an abstraction of themselves and rather create an association with the respective desired scent.
In the course of the fragrance the sweet spearmint then makes room for a potpourri rose. This smells unfamiliar again, because mint with rose is not something I know as a fragrance chord. When mint weakens and the rose and leather are the protagonists, you can carry a fragrance with you for about 2 hours that reminds you of "Myth / Amouage", but compared to the original, it is creamy, milky and not so brute.
At some point only the sweetness of a chewed chewing gum with some suede on the skin remains.
Unfortunately I cannot understand the classification "sweet-woody" on Parfumo. Woody, I find Enclave at no time "fresh-sweet-leathery" I would find more suitable.
Is that a big throw from Amouage now? The above mentioned abstraction of the individual scent components to something new can be considered positively as art or as a bad cobbling together of new synthetic laboratory developments, which come from the laboratories of e.g. IFF.
I'm leaning towards something in between. Getting to know the unknown scent chords was exciting and the mint fades out even just before the moment when it becomes annoying, but I wasn't captivated by the scent - it was too synthetic in its components. The fragrance may not even pretend to be natural - that is the concept here. Very creative and artistic but somehow not mine. H/S are in the upper third of the Amouage range. Only Amouage will know why this minty scent friend doesn't come in the milky green bottle from Meander - for me, it would have fitted the fragrance much better.
For the future, I would like Amouage to give me a musky scent. With the creativity of the house, I would like to be surprised here.

by Boban
by Boban
by VentoAureo
by VentoAureo

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Homage by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Library Collection - Opus VI by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage