Interlude Black Iris 2020

Interlude Black Iris by Amouage
Interlude Black Iris is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2020. The scent is smoky-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Pierre Negrin

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot RosemaryRosemary Violet leafViolet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris absoluteOrris absolute AmberAmber FrankincenseFrankincense CistusCistus MyrrhMyrrh VanillaVanilla
Base Notes Base NotesLeatherLeather OudOud PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by SippSniff, last update on 21.05.2022.

Black Iris work of art
The Black Iris from Amouage can be considered a work of art and does not sit at all in the shadow of its older brother Interlude.

My first date with Amoage Interlude was not a friendship. Maybe it's because I didn't have a trained nose. Since then, I admit, I haven't tried it because of the opening tones that practically pierced my senses. After many years in which I became a fan iris, Valentino and Dior giving me that lipstick feeling, which I see more as a real wax, because when you smell iris petals with this feeling you stay, I said to try a niche variant.
Black Iris Interlude scared in the first place when I saw that it was a flanker of the first blue beast but I thought that the iris would tame it. Aaaand yes. He was still a beast, but this time he has reached maturity, reaching the point where he no longer has to put flames in his mouth to make his presence felt.
It is a sensual perfume that from my point of view starts from the middle of the olfactory pyramid. This Iris has almost no opening. Balsamic, heavy, smoky. Iris, myrrh, sandalwood and lambdamum go hand in hand to create a glorious oriental floral sensation. It is a story in a bottle, a journey of the senses, a purple dream. Unisex? I wouldn't put my hand in the fire. It seems so, but the balsamic wood tones draw a well-defined boundary line. The longevity and projection of the perfume is bestial. You feel good on your skin after 24 hours and on your clothes ... for days. About the presentation ... royal, a typical Amouage jewel.

Smoke perfection
How can smoke which could kill people, being so addictive yet so dangerous?

That’s all what this perfume is all about, showing the perfection of pure smokiness!

Now imagine a dark person. Dangerously wild, psychopath gentleman, and yet a friendly person who’s on a business trip. He meets some soft persons and kinda likes them.. and because they are to kind he can’t hurt them.. what happens with all that smoke and darkness then? Well it gets balanced ofcourse!

This one starts very nice with a lots of iris and a hidden vanilla. The OG interlude is directly here as well, but it’s not a punch in the face like whoow to oriental smokey thing.. no this is elegant and very easy to wear compared to the OG. The iris doesn’t stay to Lang but it’s not Needed necessarily. Because of the iris the interlude is been toned down whit a smokey and oud kind of smell and a vanilla tone in it. The iris has been used to balance this scent and give it more depth because in my opinion this is the amouage with the biggest journey and the biggest challenge to understand. It could take you to different places on different occasions, but let me tell you to not use it if it’s warmer then 5 degrees because it gets extremely cloying and sweet flowery. Keep it cool and the smokiness will be balanced with the sweets.

My very first day was in the house of my friend he went on holiday, and I could stay there for few weeks.. I ordered this one because of I needed a new winter scent.. blind buy tough and it is worthy! From the first moment I sprayed I never thought I could remember something like this.. but it felt so comfortable and trusted.. and that is exactly what this perfume does.. it gives you a relaxed winter vibe. Rich but comfort without stressing or pressure.. it gives you a feeling that you can handle everything but don’t need to rush it. It takes you trough tons of vibes but all these vibes feel great. It’s almost a trilogy since it has 3 different parts. The first- mid and end are totally different vibes but yet so close… mmmm this one is for the trained noses who like to dig deep in to the material. Enough chit chat.. try your noses vogues!

Scent 10
Longevity on clothes: letterly a best
Skin: 10 hours
Projection.. not as the OG but believe me dont spray more than 3/4 otherwise you will choke yourself and the whole area.

This one is FABULOUS…
… if you enjoy the original, that is.

I don’t see how people can say this is too similar to the original. They have enough of a difference to purchase both and have absolutely ZERO regret.

This one has a much sweeter feel to it, but still has a “flicker” of the smoke/incense vibe lingering in the sillage trail. An almost syrupy feeling, caramel-esque vibe, with the smokey undertones. It’s beyond words.

It is much more versatile than the original, but honestly I cannot possibly choose one over the other… I love them both, very much.

Performance wise, it is fantastic, just like it’s older brother; with a pinch less in projection radius. For the first 2 hours (at minimum) you get a solid 1-3ft, with a sillage trail that leads everyone in your direction for the entirety of the 10-12hr long performance. You get what you pay for, indeed.

Not for everyone, but those who DO appreciate the original will enjoy this quite a bit. I know what I’m going to be rockin’ a LOT this winter.
Noneya
The gentler twin, "The tamed blue beast from the Middle East."
Interlude Man Black Iris... What a fitting name. Quite clearly, this mystical-looking bottle carries the Interlude DNA. The progression is similarly contrasting with sweet, strong incense and oud from start to finish. The iris makes it a bit softer here, rounding out the extremely spicy edges of the original a bit in favor of the velvety soft vanilla note that is more noticeable towards the end. High quality and perfectly balanced, a real Amouage. Be sure to sample and give it a full day to let the beauty and complexity of this masterpiece take effect. If you have Interlude Man, you don't need this flanker, but all in all I recommend it for all those who are looking for something very extravagant and strong. Chapeau!

Another Interlude?
I have just finished sampling Interlude 53. I just don't get it. Obviously for people that want the most potent, ridiculously priced and most disagreeable fragrance they can find. Interlude Black Iris still burns the nostrils and stays close to you, not in a good way. I like some of the notes but they are hard to appreciate with the smoky notes burning your nose. I love most of Amouage fragrances but Interlude and Figment are not for me.

DarthSloth
The opening is stomach turning
I bought a sample of this because everyone said it was really great and I wish I could go back in time. The opening legit turned my stomach in knots as if I needed to vomit , absolutely the worst opening to any scent to exist ; if there is worse than this, then please ban it.
Museum tour
Every year, the beginning of spring heralds the most beautiful time of the year for him. When nature awakens and the first green sprouts from the ground, he knows that it won't be long before he can pursue his greatest passion again. He is an engine driver, but it is not until May that the museum railways start running and he is allowed to drive his beloved steam locomotive again. The tourists are sometimes a bit annoying with their cameras and the many small children who also run across the tracks, but during the trips of his museum train everything is so wonderfully quiet, so he is not bothered by it at all.

In the morning, the locomotive is brought into gear. His heater colleague is already on site and they have to keep up. Around noon, the first tourists arrive. But the two gentlemen know what they are doing. The historic train can start on time with all its passengers. In the locomotive it is always hot, stuffy and the air is always drenched in the smoke of the coals. All this fills him with bright joy. Outside, the beautiful, blooming spring landscape rushes past him. The flowers are blooming, the grass is lush and the sun is shining that day. It's as if she's just as excited as he is that the museum train is finally allowed to run again. His locomotive steams and hisses and the kids go wide-eyed as it rolls slowly and comfortably over the historic railroad bridges.

Too quickly, this day also draws to a close. As he says goodbye to his locomotive in the evening, his face is dyed quite black, as are his clothes. His skin and clothes have, as always, absorbed the typical smoky scent of his locomotive that he has grown so fond of over the years. Underneath, you can still detect his classic men's scent that he applied in the morning. In addition, a hint of the iris blossom from nature has settled on his skin. What a glorious day that was, too. Shower? Nope. Why bother? Better to stay like that for a few more hours. And enjoy a nice, warm tea with vanilla to end the day. Until the next museum trip.

I like Black Iris on my husband a lot better than the classic Interlude, because it dims the intense, black-smoky notes a bit. So this results in a very special, but equally harmonious, masculine fragrance that I like.

Many thanks to Chizza for the sample.

Razvanyke
Dark, mysterious and easy going
This is my new favorite from the house of Amouage, I have tried the Interlude and that Oregano is a big no for me. I like Oregano in Pizza and Bruschetta but not as my scent of the day.

When Amouage launched this beauty, I was thrilled by their marketing and the nice music from the presentation page, but the 300€ mark is a bit too dear for me to pay for 100ml. Few months later, I found it a a decent price and bought myself one bottle.

It starts smoky just like Interlude but in the dry-down it becomes more pleasant thanks to the slight Iris note but also because that noisy oregano is not there. I like it very much and use it daily, this is my new favorite.

The longevity is decent, 7 - 8 hours with 2 sprays and the silage is moderate, not gonna choke people around you for sure. I sense Oris, Frankincense and a bit of Oud .. not the other notes its like they are not there or I cannot feel them.

I sprayed today once on my arm and it projects in the whole house, so I wonder .. how is it that Amouages have this performance without the "need to ripe in the bottle" or the most favorite one "it needs oxigen to get into the bottle to become strong".

All the marketing scams done by other brands are just that -> scams, I am happy and thrilled to notice that my 3rd bottle of Black Iris is as powerful and performing as the first one .. I wonder how Amouage does it.

Original I like better
I own the original Interlude Man and I love him. And I'm not squeamish about it. For a while I wore it every day and with everything. I just noticed over time that I want more of the drydown. This great addictive dark smoky sweetness. This sets with me unfortunately only after 8-10 hours and is then also no longer so loud and then remains only very close to the skin for the rest of the time.

Therefore, I was very excited about the Flanker. I don't feel that oregano was completely left out here. There's just less of it. The iris makes the fragrance for my feeling something "more feminine" but also somehow shriller. This shrillness annoys me. It doesn't feel as round to me. Yes it is possibly thereby creamier, but not to my taste. Unfortunately, this impression also lasts for 8 hours. And of my beloved dark-sweet-smoky drydown, there's nix of the dark smoke in the Iris Man. At least a lot less than in the original. It's more of a creamy sweetness. I miss exactly that contrast of dark smoke and sweetness. That is exactly the part I would not have cut out, but rather have intensified.

I'm not sure if this flanker makes sense. I think times that the goal was to make this fragrance more pleasing and accessible to a wider audience. People who don't like the scent don't like it because it's too "strong" for them but because they just don't like the overall scent character. I don't think they will like it now because it has been taken down 3-4 gears, as it still retains the main character of the original. For me personally not successful and a pointless addition. Interlude Man must be a hot selling cake if two more versions of it are marketed in one year

Crazy good !
What a great release from the house of Amouage ! This is a beautiful oriental woody fragrance for man. You have notes of orris, leather, olibanum and oud. You have a lot more notes in this fragrance but those are the notes that stand out the most. This scent profile is very unique and i can’t say i smelled anything like it. But Amouage is a brand that is not aiming for mainstream fragrances. Although there is Iris in here it has nothing to do with Dior homme or one if its flankers. Compared to the original this one is more polite and softer. Don’t get me wrong this still has a beast mode projection but let’s say in the winter you could wear this in the office as the original would maybe be a little harsher for that scenario . Overall great scent , put your nose on it asap !

NovocaineNovocaine 5 days ago
Bold and lush, Amouage Black Iris is a very sexycious oriental iris with beast performances. Terrible piece of work!
NXXoNXXo 22 days ago
Absolutely the epitome of class. The first 2min is very harsh, but the dry down is magic.
HermeshHermesh 5 months ago
A sweet-smoky original, muted by a powdery veil. However, the understatement does not make the fragrance less interesting.
JMWeedJMWeed 7 months ago
Smoky leathery wood, the iris really does stand out as a darker scent as well. Overall high quality, could be unisex, but leans masculine.
Blako11Blako11 12 months ago
If you love Interlude, here it is.
Slightly more subtle, more restrained, more correct. He knows how to behave on every occasion.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
Initially spicy-green, a fresh and airy, slightly smoky, floral-resinous Mid season fragrance, balanced by a creamy leathery-woody base.
NgarciaNgarcia 1 year ago
Best note of non makeup iris I ever smelled, but too much sweet added, a controversial twist over the original, not terrible, not good.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
Perfectly blended oud with the powdery earthy rooty scent of the orris. Woody balsamic olibanum with leather, frankincense and myrrh.

by AuroraPolare
by AuroraPolare
Gerade bei warmen Temperaturen zeigt er seine Schönheit.
by Pollita
by Golcher
by Stere
by Stere

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Reflection 45 by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Homage by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage