Interlude Man Black Iris (2020)

Interlude Man Black Iris by Amouage

Interlude Man Black Iris is a new perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2020. The scent is smoky-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Oman Perfumery.

Pierre Negrin

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Rosemary, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris absolute, Amber, Frankincense, Cistus, Myrrh, Vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Oud, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by SippSniff, last update on 08.07.2020.

Crazy good !
What a great release from the house of Amouage ! This is a beautiful oriental woody fragrance for man. You have notes of orris, leather, olibanum and oud. You have a lot more notes in this fragrance but those are the notes that stand out the most. This scent profile is very unique and i can’t say i smelled anything like it. But Amouage is a brand that is not aiming for mainstream fragrances. Although there is Iris in here it has nothing to do with Dior homme or one if its flankers. Compared to the original this one is more polite and softer. Don’t get me wrong this still has a beast mode projection but let’s say in the winter you could wear this in the office as the original would maybe be a little harsher for that scenario . Overall great scent , put your nose on it asap !
LVCAS
Where there is shadow, there is light!
Many tested fragrances from my collections or those I own would also have deserved my first comment and it is simply due to the fresh release from AMOUAGE that I now choose the new flanker "Interlude Black Iris Man".

Foreword: It is not so long ago that I started my fragrance journey - August 2019 - and since then I am completely addicted to this hobby and Parfumo is my new daily companion! And although I haven't been around as long as many of you, I am very positively surprised by the community and have already made some great contacts and I am very happy about the exchange! Of course, I am describing my impressions here and not everybody will share them, but please be constructive and gracious anyway. There is no such thing as the perfect comment and it's the variety of statements and comments that adds color to the picture - so learning by doing ^^

Quite quickly I came into contact with the house of AMOUAGE at the beginning of my journey and was thrilled - why? "Reflection Man" became my first fragrance to move towards niche fragrances and I still associate a very special feeling with this fragrance. It should not stay with one and I threw myself on many others out of the house. Interlude, Epic, Lyric, Memoir, Myths, Sunshine, Jubilation etc. followed and you can really say that a wide spectrum is covered here. The fact that AMOUAGE is still a perfume house from Oman brought a special spark to it (directly seemed more exotic than all the designers). At some point I also grabbed the original "Interlude Man" and if I had to choose two fragrances from Amouage today, then Reflection & Interlude. Accordingly, my curiosity was high when I saw the trailer of "Interlude Black Iris Man" in early May this year. The first flanker and already the original had more than overwhelmed me so far - an exquisite exotic.

The past week was therefore all about the new fragrance, as I had also been in possession of a bottling since Tuesday - greetings go out to the very friendly contact - and was able to test it extensively. Also the complete Sunday again in direct comparison with his more adult and stronger brother.

If you know the original Interlude, you know how much power is in this monster at the beginning - brute spice with oregano wrap! A deep, warm and oriental feeling spreads, because this guy shines like nothing! This "Blue Biest" is not so easy to tame and I was looking forward to exactly this power in combination with the Black Iris.

Well, in the new flanker we have rosemary and violet leaf in the head instead of oregano and allspice, and you are welcomed more gently here, even if the thought came to my mind during the very first spraying: "This is 95% of the originals - no difference! Yes, at the beginning both are very close to each other and only in direct comparison you can feel the small but more intensive pinch of the original. Nevertheless, the new one also starts explosively smoky, even if it feels a spark less than the original. Black Iris is noticeably softer. I had already considered whether this would be an Interlude with a Dior Home-touch as far as the Iris is concerned, but that's actually not the case. You can safely forget about the remarks. The "Black Iris" is staged here wonderfully soft and powdery soft and gives the whole fragrance a pleasant and light feeling, although it's still not a really light fragrance - nevertheless it feels more wearable right away. Really beautifully balanced as I find and lets you look deeply, because in the further course of the fragrance both separate in the end. Interlude stays spicy-deep and warm on my skin whereas the Black Iris has vanilla in the heart as well as the iris and it makes sure that the iris not only stays soft and smooth but also gets sweet - I never thought it would get so powdery-sweet afterwards. Nevertheless, both are still very smoky - crazy, right? The Black Iris at least achieves a more impressive development and pushes the smoke more quickly into the background.

In Base, the usual suspects continue to play their role excellently - more or less. Iris and vanilla make the difference. You can compare it bluntly to a gaming headset with a controller for voices/game sound. With Interlude the game sound is 100% and Voices is muted and with Black Iris you have both 50/50, i.e. Voices as new impulses, but you still feel that there is something in the background. Later the ratio drifts further towards Voices. 40/60 and 30/70.

In terms of durability/silage both fragrances convince me! Loosely 6-8 hours at least and the silage crushes all scents in the nearer surroundings!
So why my title, "Where there is shadow, there is light"? Very simple: "Interlude Black Iris Man" is in my opinion definitely in the shadow of its older and bigger brother, but it knows how to give impulses in the form of iris and vanilla with its "more pleasing" style and I connect this with "light". In any case he doesn't have to hide behind his predecessor and certainly doesn't want to do so.

In the end, I would like to state that this was or is NOT a duel - there is really no question of that. Both know how to flatter with their merits and as always, YOUR personal preferences decide!

Amouage has made a grandiose Oriental a bit more suitable for everyday use and I ask myself the question "Why of all things a flanker and not a new, independent fragrance? - How do you see it!?

I don't see either of you as must-have if you already own the original. Unless you consider yourselves absolute Amouage enthusiasts
If the Interlude DNA is completely foreign to you, I strongly recommend that you test it beforehand !!
Thank you for your attention and LG, Lucas
Eliassport
Interlude remains Interlude - namely good!
For me, the Amouage brand is one of the best and most exotic - see Memoir, Fade, Interlude, Figment man - perfume houses that exist. I love it........

I was very excited about the new release of the Amouage Interlude Black Iris Variation or another variation of the original Interlude Man. It has to be said that I appreciate the Interlude Man very much and have it in my collection myself. Therefore, as already written, I was very excited about the new release.

Let's start with the scent.

It starts smoky and spicy with a creamy and fresh tendency. The iris is absolutely perceptible from beginning to end. In the top note it provides something slightly creamy that clearly stands out from the original. But of course it also explodes like the original with full force.
After a few minutes, the iris is clearly expressed and is the main part with the incense, oud smoke and myrrh.
After a few hours, the scent becomes softer and softer due to the vanilla. Vanilla is really in such a smoke monster very present in the base, just brilliant. Well and according to that it sounds more and more cuddly.

So much for the scent description.

The notes are very finely tuned to each other, they harmonize extremely well which ensures that the composition is very balanced and clear. In addition, it is still very complex, great! br />
For me the main notes are the following:
OUD, WEIHRAUCH, VANILLE, MHYREE, IRIS and finally the SANDELWOOD
The projection is very strong, my girlfriend said after 3 hours that the scent would be extremely strong - so the perception.
Now after 9 hours he is still omni present.
I can't say anything about the shelf life yet, what I can say is that it's a clear 10 as the fragrance still lasts. And yes, I'll take the liberty of making another assessment now!

Amouage has once again proven what the market can do - namely, bring out unique, high-quality and exotic perfumes.
On the Interlude - no matter which variant - you simply notice this phenomenal quality of the ingredients and composition.

Amouage Interlude Black Iris is a softer, smoother and creamier version of the original Interlude.
Both are clearly distinguishable and simply great, unique exotic scents.
Top!!!!!

I hope you can get a better picture of the Interlude now :-)
DerDefcon
A perfectly balanced play between light and darkness.
Yesterday came the bottling from sharing and today comes the comment.

"now there's a comment, even though he's worn the scent for a while?"

Maybe one or the other asks this question, but I can tell you that yesterday - in the context of my university home office - I dealt with the scent almost more extensively than with my university stuff. I therefore confidently claim that I can and may allow myself a comment right now.

By the way, you are reading here the comment of a person who has never smelled the "original" Interlude. So I cannot make comparisons. The description of the fragrance will therefore be completely detached from the "original" fragrance. I would like to have noted this at the beginning.

By the way, I wrote a threat in the forum in which I asked for expectations about the new "Interlude Black Iris Man". Of course I also formulated my own expectations. I'll take the liberty of quoting myself:

"As a non-specialist of the "Interlude Man", I hope for a play between light and dark in this new release from Amouage. I hope for a bright, flashing, perhaps clean iris, which plays a nice game rich in contrast with the rather darker notes, to which I count leather, incense and oud."

Now the question inevitably arises whether that expectation has been fulfilled. So let's go to the description of the fragrance!

When I spray "Interlude Black Iris Man" on my neck - the back of my hand test was completely omitted - I am initially enveloped by a dark woodsy, strongly smoky note, but this is immediately caught and tamed by a light, somewhat scratchy iris. This smoky note comes quite close to the aroma of cold ash, which is probably due to the incense, the oud and possibly the leather. So here the scent pyramid is only a formality and serves as a rough orientation. It does not say much about the actual course of the scent. By the way, I also heard rosemary for a short time, which then quickly left the field again.

The iris just mentioned, with its sparkling scratchiness, is a little reminiscent of the one in "L'Homme" by Prada, only that here it completely lacks the flowery fair-weather friendliness. The iris here is bright, but somehow also dirty, very angular and for people who can't get along with it in principle, definitely overtaxing. There is even a phase in the fragrance process in which the iris completely devours the smokiness reminiscent of ash - but only temporarily.

Over time, the iris loses its scratchiness. It becomes a little darker, is no longer so sterile and adapts to its surroundings a little. This now captivates with a more present oudnote. This is dark, very dry, but by no means faecal, animal or medical. We are simply dealing with dark wood, with the incense in the background resonating a bit. The ash association is still there, but not to the same extent as in the beginning, when the fragrance was freshly sprayed.

We have to wait about three hours for the most beautiful phase - and I think that's a bit of a shame. "Interlude Black Iris Man" then becomes really cuddly. I, the wearer, am blown away by a smoky, woody sweetness that I don't know exactly where it comes from. But I'm sure that it's the cedar wood which, together with the cistus or even the vanilla - who knows - makes the whole composition softer. The once scratchy, but now almost creamy iris underlays all this with a subtle powdery note, but despite its not too offensive approach it manages to bring a little light into this basically dark compound of scents. By the way, there's no trace of the ashtray - just by the way.

Of course "Interlude Black Iris Man" is far from being a sweet fragrance. The focus is more on a dark woodsy smokiness and is designed to be as angular as possible and thus polarizing. The subtle sweetness does not change anything about all this in principle, but it manages to round off the fragrance composition in a pleasant way. The wearer is thus presented with a highly complex scent that definitely dispels any boredom. During the course of the day you will recognize new facets, go through phases that you like more or less and generally have a fragrance on your skin whose DNA can even be classified as quite suitable for everyday use. The durability is very good, but fortunately not in the league in which even a shower is no longer a remedy. The Sillage is also not a slain one, as long as you are careful with the dosage, which should be the rule for many autumn and winter scents. The original Interlude - now here is a comparison - should be a little different.

At the end of the day it can be said that Amouage has confirmed my expectations and assumptions with this creation. We're dealing with a skilful, perfectly balanced play of light and dark, which will certainly find many friends here at parfumo. Iris lovers in particular will get their money's worth, as long as they don't have a problem with dark wood and incense. Personally, I loved to wear the fragrance, but I can't say for sure if it suits me, so I'll refrain from rating it by points for now. So let's see what the future brings.

A worthy successor!
Opens up with opulent orris with freshness coming from the bergamot and with a tangy twist in the violet leaves. Rosemary adds a herbal greenness into the sweet amber mix and a restrained smoky facet holds throughout the life of the perfume from the oud note. The transition of scent is smooth that you don't even notice when you reach the drydown, but the patchouli, leather, sandalwood and cedar can all be perceived in a rich, butter marshmallow cloud. I think it's a stunning fragrance, an excellent follow up to the predecessor that refines the aggressiveness of the original.

Would recommend for perfume lovers who adore iris scents or liked aspects of Interlude Man but found it to be too brutal.

Dieses Bild widme ich JoHannes
by Artistscent
by Rafaa
by Rafaa

Popular Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage