Material 2021

Material by Amouage
Material is a new perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2021. The scent is oriental-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesElemi resinElemi resin PatchouliPatchouli
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon vanilla absoluteBourbon vanilla absolute BenzoinBenzoin
Base Notes Base NotesGaiac woodGaiac wood OudOud Osmanthus absoluteOsmanthus absolute Frankincense resinFrankincense resin Labdanum absoluteLabdanum absolute Tonka bean absoluteTonka bean absolute

Submitted by Robinn, last update on 16.09.2022.

2 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Material misses the mark
For me, Material misses the mark as an exploration of vanilla, and as a tribute to Material Girl era Madonna.

Material is a quiet exploration of resins, patchouli and yes, vanilla, but the leathery and boozy aspects. It is devoid of sweetness, and both sillage and longevity are shockingly lacking, especially considering Amouage's historical powerhouse scents. Not to mention the cost. Had it been released as what it is, high quality natural materials that do not have the synthetic boost to provide projection or longevity...well I likely still would take a hard pass, but I could have appreciated the sample more. Having gotten interested on the premise of a grand exploration of vanilla, this was a complete disappointment.

Once I'd given up the ghost of a voluptuous vanilla bombshell, I was able to appreciate and enjoy the dry skinscent; Predominantly a leathery patchouli labdanum with benzoin after very brief boozy dry vanilla opening. Unisex, with a masculine edge. Many niche houses have done similar, with lower price tag.

Material Girl or Guy
This fragrance is nice it reminds me of grand soir but more resinous-esq. I don't find it incredibly unique but it's lasting power is great. The hefty price tag is not justifiable for me, but I do understand the appeal... I don't think it's groundbreaking, but I do think it's a scent that would garner the person wearing it compliments !
Ischgelroi
Solid fragrance but not worth the price
Yesterday I received my filling of Material. I was once again very excited, because Boundless was not really convincing. All the more I hoped that Material can convince. My expectations were unfortunately disappointed again, but this time the disappointment was not so big, because Material is definitely more unique than Boundless. A similarity to Dior Bois d'Argent I do not see, however, because with Material the sweet and pludrige is not present.

Now to the fragrance itself: Here I can perceive very well resins, in this case Elmiharz. After 20-30 minutes, the resin note gives way a little for the woody notes and the gentle vanilla note. The sweetness is still supported by benzoin and a gentle tonka bean. As it progresses, Material remains very linear. I would describe Material as resinous, woody, sweet. But the focus here is clearly on the resinous DNA.

The next point is my criticism: I would have simply expected more here. Here is simply missing the special. There are some comparable fragrances in this for example Xerjoff Ivory Route. I see in Material unfortunately only an average resinous fragrance, which simply does not manage to stand out. I find that a shame as the price is very high and with Amouage I am just spoiled and expect something special and unique like Interlude Man for example. Material is just a bit too quiet for me. The silage is rather weak for an Amoauge. I'm sorry to say that since Amoauge stopped releasing fragrance pairs, the wow factor has diminished for me. The perfumes seem too much adapted to unisex and thus the special seems to be lost.

5 short views on the fragrance
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Material opens with a dominant, earthy, almost chocolaty patchouli, with benzoin, vanilla, labdanum. It's sweet, ambery and a bit smoky.
NinisNinis 12 months ago
A dry, resinous, spicy ambery fragrance that turns quite sweet. It’s beautiful but you have smelt this if you have Grand Soir or Mitzah.
DalilaBDalilaB 12 months ago
Lovely spicy creamy fragrance, has all my favourite things :) I can see this becoming a community favourite for the holiday season.
ScentedNekoScentedNeko 3 months ago
Very well done vanilla! Sweet, a little smoky, with lots os resins. So delicious!
Fragaddict12Fragaddict12 1 month ago
Grand soir with worse ingredients
More statements

Images

6 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Reflection 45 by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Black Iris by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage